Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Frees up another $6m I think. He bad but they still need a replacement. Maybe Pierre Desir.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1241444430231543808

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Their CB's are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad. Almost as bad as their OLB's.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Diva Cupcake posted:

Frees up another $6m I think. He bad but they still need a replacement. Maybe Pierre Desir.

https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1241444430231543808

I'd be down with Pierre Desir or Logan Ryan. Then let Maulet and Austin fight it out for the other outside spot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1241498624317685761

The Jets are basically signing like 12 very good 6th OL'men this offseason.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Douglas is doing the 2019 Buffalo Bills strategy. Just sign a poo poo ton of capable linemen and let them compete. There's literally no way that it could be worse than last year, so I'm down.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

mcmagic posted:

I mean, the Bills signed three last year.
Spencer Long was Spencer Long, but Quinton Spain isn’t total trash and randomly Jon Feliciano is good. You just keep signing random JAGs and eventually at least one of them will end up being decent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Douglas is doing the 2019 Buffalo Bills strategy. Just sign a poo poo ton of capable linemen and let them compete. There's literally no way that it could be worse than last year, so I'm down.

It's fine but these guys they are signing are mostly Jags. It would've been nicer if they had been able to get a standout like Thuney or Conklin. They still have glaring needs at CB Tackle WR and Edge.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I have no problem with this strategy for the line and I still want to draft a OT with the first rounder.

Re-sign Sun Gawd now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

I have no problem with this strategy for the line and I still want to draft a OT with the first rounder.

Re-sign Sun Gawd now.

Only if one of the 4 OT's are there. They can't reach.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Only if one of the 4 OT's are there. They can't reach.

Yeah that should be obvious. The tackle class drops off significantly after the top 4. In that case grab Jeudy or Lamb and I haven’t really looks at edge rusher but maybe one of them.

Also Van Roten apparently grew up a Jets fan so that’s cool.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It's fine but these guys they are signing are mostly Jags. It would've been nicer if they had been able to get a standout like Thuney or Conklin. They still have glaring needs at CB Tackle WR and Edge.

Obviously Thuney getting tagged screwed them to some extent. I'm under no illusion that these guys are good or great starters (outside of maybe McGovern) but (1) they're better than what they were rolling out there last year; (2) throwing lots of darts on decent offensive linemen is a good strategy in and of itself, see, e.g., the Bills last year; and (3) loading up on decent interior linemen will give Douglas more flexibility to fill holes in the draft rather than reach for interior players with his day 2 picks.

And again, Rome wasn't built in a day. They weren't going to build a top-tier line from scratch in one offseason. Assuming they get one of the top 4 OTs at 11, I'd say this is a solid enough start.

Edit: I now like Fant and McGovern solely for clowning on PFF on twitter

https://twitter.com/GeorgeFant74/status/1241736678752112641?s=20

https://twitter.com/McGovenator60/status/1241743627962814464?s=20

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 22, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Connor_J_Hughes/status/1241784791256662016

OK

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sweet

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I know nothing about Desir outside of apparently every Jets fan on twitter really wanted them to sign him

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

I know nothing about Desir outside of apparently every Jets fan on twitter really wanted them to sign him

Cleveland to Indy, had good year at Indy... had a 3 year moderately sized extension and he was so bad he was cut the very next year.

He’s got serious ability when he plays with his head right so maybe he can improve?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

Cleveland to Indy, had good year at Indy... had a 3 year moderately sized extension and he was so bad he was cut the very next year.

He’s got serious ability when he plays with his head right so maybe he can improve?

I watched some vids of him on Hopkins in the 2018 Wild Card after I posted, obviously has really promising talent like you aid. I guess you assume if Gregg can't get him motivated no one can and hope it pans out? Would like another vet CB and/or a day 2 pick at the position for insurance, but seems like a solid move.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 23, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s high risk high reward because dude was dogshit last year

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It’s a risk in that he could get significant playing time and play at his 2019 level. The contract is a dirt cheap 1 year deal though so if he sucks he gets benched and cut without any harm.

He balled out in 2018 though so the talent is there.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Amy Pole Her posted:

It’s high risk high reward because dude was dogshit last year

Yeah 100%, seems like he was battling a hamstring thing all year so hopefully that had something to do with it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/1242153869263679491

The market must be really dry. Jenkins isn't anything great but he should've gotten a deal somewhere.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Big brain strategy I just came up with: Trade up for Burrow without fear of his 2020 supporting cast. There probably won’t be an NFL season this year anyways.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Surely the better idea is Tua in the certain knowledge he's going to have a year to rehab

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Professor Funk posted:

Yeah 100%, seems like he was battling a hamstring thing all year so hopefully that had something to do with it.

Oh i had no idea. That actually would explain a lot by why would Indy cut ties so goddamn fast?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

tarbrush posted:

Surely the better idea is Tua in the certain knowledge he's going to have a year to rehab

i think this is the way to go presuming that there won't be a second draft without another nfl season in between

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I for one strongly feel if the 2020 season doesn't happen the draft order for 2021should be unchanged.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It makes SO MUCH loving sense for the Jets to try to get Trent Williams now to free them up to take JJ or Lamb at 11.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Best case scenario for Miami imo let another OT drop to 16 😈

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Robby Anderson 2/20 to Carolina!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

There’s not even a free agent WR I want. This sucks.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah, they're officially gonna waste Darnold's rookie deal, even with the line improvements. Allen gets Diggs, Murray gets Hopkins, Baker gets OBJ/Landry, Darnold gets Demaryius Thomas.

If anything, losing Robby probably means that they need to (1) trade for Trent and (2) draft a WR at 11 and 48/68. But I can't see Douglas doing that.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Darnold gets Demaryius Thomas.
Only for 1 year though. 1 year contracts and offers for everyone.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Diva Cupcake posted:

There's lots of good WR's in the draft!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Diva Cupcake posted:

If Robby's slow market gets him re-signed for $10-11m per then that's a huge win imo. Supposedly the Jets are in on Dorsett as a backup plan, but obviously we'd all prefer the Sun God come back.

I knew there was an old post with those numbers. Which seemed right to me, as a non-jets fan. So, they let him go for under that...wonder how much is guaranteed.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

There's lots of good WR's in the draft!

We Jets fans definitely overrate Robby, but he had great chemistry with Darnold and was his only weapon on the outside. Even in a deep class, it would be dumb by the Jets to try to replace that with a Day 2 pick at WR, especially in the most critical year of Darnold's career.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Professor Funk posted:

We Jets fans definitely overrate Robby, but he had great chemistry with Darnold and was his only weapon on the outside. Even in a deep class, it would be dumb by the Jets to try to replace that with a Day 2 pick at WR, especially in the most critical year of Darnold's career.

We're talking about 52 receptions, 779 yards and 5 TD's.

You don't have to draft some kind of killer to replace that production.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

That'd be an excellent rookie season, though. Nevermind that even if they did manage to get something like that from a rookie, the Jets depth behind him there is uhhh, well, hmmm.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

That's basically assuming the Jets will land this year's Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, or Deebo Samuel, ie that they will pick the best of the day 2 WRs in a year where everyone is looking for a day 2 WR. That seems like a pretty big leap of faith to me, even in a deep class.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

That'd be an excellent rookie season, though. Nevermind that even if they did manage to get something like that from a rookie, the Jets depth there is uhhh, well, hmmm.

There are a handful of rookies who get that kind of production pretty much every year :shrug:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Professor Funk posted:

That's basically assuming the Jets will land this year's Terry McLaurin, DK Metcalf, or Deebo Samuel, ie that they will pick the best of the day 2 WRs in a year where everyone is looking for a day 2 WR. That seems like a pretty big leap of faith to me, even in a deep class.

Sign Breshad Perriman. He had a similar year to Robby Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

There are a handful of rookies who get that kind of production pretty much every year :shrug:

They'd more likely than not get it with Lamb or Jeudy, yeah.

But still, most first-round WRs fall pretty far short of that line even if they later end up being pretty good. For every Calvin Ridley, there's at least two guys like Corey Davis, N'Keal Harry, or John Ross.