Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pollyanna posted:

Jfc I loving hate marauders. That stupid “hit when their eyes flash” poo poo doesn’t work at all, they have tons of hp, and they hit like a truck. What’s the trick to them?

By hitting them when their eyes flash :v:. Its what they do, and you can get a good few hits in. Another thing you can do is angle explosives to detonate right behind them, with either remote detonation or just shooting rockets into the floor behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

gently caress, I hate that if you run out of ammo on a gun, it can swap to the BFG as the next-up gun. Way too easy to fire off a bfg shot on accident and waste precious ammo.

It should never swap to BFG unless you manually choose it!

Set it to hotkey 1 and it won't ever autoswap I think

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hate them, I hate their stupid dogs, I hate their attack pattern, I kind of hate this game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is there another good strategy for marauders other than the ssg or arbelest? other weapons don't do enough burst damage to kill them at all quickly

Pollyanna posted:

I hate them, I hate their stupid dogs, I hate their attack pattern, I kind of hate this game.

ssg, run in and very very close range ssg, circlestrafe 90 degrees ssg, ssg again, back out, repeat once or twice more, dead. or the arbelest from range while circlestrafing is the easiest way probably, takes a bit longer unless you're getting headshots.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Walrus posted:

is there another good strategy for marauders other than the ssg or arbelest? other weapons don't do enough burst damage to kill them at all quickly

edit: oh for some reason i thought you just said ssg

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I mean that looks like the ssg and the arbalest? but that gif does remind me I havent been switching to reload yet in this game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you stagger them with the ssg you can feed them a bfg round and they die instantly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's easier to listen for the audio cue and blast them on react than the eye flash.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also remember that if you're at the right range-gap, they always follow up a shockwave with an eye flash attack.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

To defeat the Marauder, shoot at it until it dies.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I think it just takes practice which is what the master levels are for.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:siren: :siren: :siren: Romero just steamed himself playing eternal. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/573830693 :siren: :siren: :siren:

edit: he almost dies in the first room and gets lost in the second.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 24, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

I waste blood punch so much miscalculating when a zombie will start flashing.

same friend

The Walrus posted:

Set it to hotkey 1 and it won't ever autoswap I think

:prepop:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

SirSamVimes posted:

Also remember that if you're at the right range-gap, they always follow up a shockwave with an eye flash attack.

This is the correct trick to beating Marauders. Back up until they toss a shockwave at you and then move towards them. They'll usually start their melee so it's easy to SSG, Ballista, repeat until dead.

Also the Plasma shockwave can stagger the Marauder during their swing too. So you could probably cycle SSG, Ballista, shockwave, SSG, Ballista and he'll be really close to dead even on Nightmare. I think it only takes like 3 loops of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

Not that I know of, SSG and Arbalest are definitely your go to weapons for fighting a marauder. When you run out of SSG just go find a mook to chainsaw.

The hardest part about the marauder is just staying alive long enough and managing to refill your ammo so you can actually whittle him down when he does give you the green eyes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I waste blood punch so much miscalculating when a zombie will start flashing.

Always punch blood in between your Meat Hook and SSG blasts. They didn't actually remove the double shot upgrade, they just put it in your fists instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

To defeat the Marauder, shoot at it until it dies.

lmao

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Upmarket Mango posted:

Eternal rules, and so does every other DOOM for that matter.

This is from a million pages back but I agree completely. There are no bad Doom games and the franchise has always been fantastic. Doom Eternal is loving amazing also! Big guns, hammy story, blood, guts, guitars! As a 40 year old metal head whose been playing the series since he was 13, Doom Eternal is a heavy metal wet dream.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

When Doom 3 is the worst game in your series by a wide margin, you're doing something right.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Zzulu posted:

Earth is still mega-hosed and crawling with demons

The ARC broadcast after the final boss fight states that the majority of the demonic presence ceased when The Icon of Sin died.
Sure, everything is still ruined and/or gooey, but the future is looking bright!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DoctorStrangelove posted:

When Doom 3 is the worst game in your series by a wide margin, you're doing something right.

I really do love Doom 3. Throw on some good 7.1 surround headphones and turn the lights out, and its atmosphere sucks you right in!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Even the mobile phone games are really good. Its ridiculous

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I laughed when Hayden told the DOOM Slayer he could not blow a hole in Mars.

Edit: I love blood punch.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blood Punch is strange

"we nerfed melee"

"we gave you a melee that strips half the demons naked and explodes the other ones into gibs"

Yeah it's funny how people bitch about it like it killed their pet rabbit. It's a 7.5/10 game with a couple glaring flaws.

The flashlight thing barely bothered me on my recent playthrough. Ammo is super common and you know what lights things up? Lighting them up.

I don't know if I'd put Eternal or 2016 as #1, need to get better at Eternal. But Doom 3 is really not that far away from being a great game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One thing I really like about Doom Eternal is that they did a much better job with Hell than Doom 2016 did. It actually feels like a nightmare hellscape of torture rather than the ruined desert planet that it felt like in 2016.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

One thing I really like about Doom Eternal is that they did a much better job with Hell than Doom 2016 did. It actually feels like a nightmare hellscape of torture rather than the ruined desert planet that it felt like in 2016.

Yeah, I wanna go further and explore more Hell realms, but I said before that Nekravol is basically exactly what I wanted from a Wayne Barlowe style hellscape.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Jfc I loving hate marauders. That stupid “hit when their eyes flash” poo poo doesn’t work at all, they have tons of hp, and they hit like a truck. What’s the trick to them?

Quickswitch weapons, don’t run and dodge as much as you think you need to do. Too much dodging just means you end up in their gently caress you up range. Stand at the right distance to goad them into their green flash attack then tiptoe daintily back and to the side a few steps to dodge their bullshit.

As someone who was bitching about marauders 24 hours ago there is a point now where I’m excited to get vengeance on them when they show up.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The two Nekraval levels are by far my favorite in the game, hits all the high notes on aesthetic, encounter design and music

Also I wanted to ask if the Master Levels are glitchier or worse performing than their normal counterparts for anyone else. I've had several encounters in both of them that didn't correctly end and progress the level and ARC complex seems to have noticably worse performance in its master level version (normal is buttery smooth while master level is choppy and stuttering in some spots)

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

AnEdgelord posted:

The two Nekraval levels are by far my favorite in the game, hits all the high notes on aesthetic, encounter design and music

Also I wanted to ask if the Master Levels are glitchier or worse performing than their normal counterparts for anyone else. I've had several encounters in both of them that didn't correctly end and progress the level and ARC complex seems to have noticably worse performance in its master level version (normal is buttery smooth while master level is choppy and stuttering in some spots)

I didn't have any issues with Master ARC, but on Master Cult Base I had a Cyberdemon get stuck in a pillar.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
The two on one MP is... weird

Archvile Summoner damage is basically all in the summons, that fireball does nothing, or if you can get them in a firewall/lavapit combo, I haven't tried the other demons yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Maggy posted:

The two on one MP is... weird

Archvile Summoner damage is basically all in the summons, that fireball does nothing, or if you can get them in a firewall/lavapit combo, I haven't tried the other demons yet.

Revenant rocket barrage does good damage but you're way too slow so if the slayer knows what he's doing he'll loving murder you so easy.

I think I'm gonna try playing Marauder next...

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

look i COULD delete that cacodemon with a single triple rocket salvo but the game says i MUST feed it a grenade and wait 3 seconds before i can glory kill it, my hands are tied here

I guess you could use 25% of your rockets killing the cacodemon, but it's much more efficient to use a single grenade from the shot gun.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Revenant rocket barrage does good damage but you're way too slow so if the slayer knows what he's doing he'll loving murder you so easy.

I think I'm gonna try playing Marauder next...

Most people I've teamed with have been Marauder, they either get instagibbed or gently caress the dude up so bad I feel like I should've just been doing the archvile's Randy Orton pose all match to contribute to lowering the Slayer's morale.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I guess you could use 25% of your rockets killing the cacodemon, but it's much more efficient to use a single grenade from the shot gun.

We don't need to be efficient, we have chainsaws!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I shoot rockets when enemies are grouped up, if there is a cacodemon above them to absorb a direct hit then all the better

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you don't need to glory kill things if you don't need the health, or don't need to charge you blood punch.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Spiderdrake posted:

Yeah it's funny how people bitch about it like it killed their pet rabbit. It's a 7.5/10 game with a couple glaring flaws.

The flashlight thing barely bothered me on my recent playthrough. Ammo is super common and you know what lights things up? Lighting them up.

I don't know if I'd put Eternal or 2016 as #1, need to get better at Eternal. But Doom 3 is really not that far away from being a great game.

People bitch about Doom 3 because it's a terrible Doom. It may have its merits, but as a Doom game it's garbage. Saints Row 2 is a great game, but if it was titled Doom 3 it would also be reviled as a lovely Doom game.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
https://www.twitch.tv/distortion2

Saw a dude that's speed running.

I'm watching DoomGuy flying so high into the air you can see most of the map.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Saints Row 2 is a great game, but if it was titled Doom 3 it would also be reviled as a lovely Doom game.

It does have a better shotgun than Doom 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait so ARC calls the demons "mortally challenged" too? I thought that was just a silly joke about crazed UAC propaganda adopting woke language for literal blood-drinking demons.