Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

did escobar do something problematic? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

watho posted:

did escobar do something problematic? :ohdear:

Oh you know, bit of this, bit of that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well at least I know Joaquín won't ever break my heart!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

He also blew up a police station I think?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Katt posted:

He also blew up a police station I think?

High level praxis

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

High level praxis

A man of contrast to be sure.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I've lost track of the discussion now so I'm just going to post some cool videos from Yesterworld Entertainment about the abandoned Disney Animations over the years, and the more recent video he did on abandoned projects that were revived into (mostly) successful films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIGIn9nKfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2YBU0MTtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvwA2r4qEz8

The last one blew my mind because now I finally understand why they had Robin Williams voice that shady merchant stereotype from the start of the Aladdin film along with the Genie (and why he's the only human with three fingers.)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

sure pablo escobar killed lots of innocent people but he also bombed a police station so it’s impossible to say if he was bad or not

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ion croitoru once blew up a police station, which is good, but he only did it because they were originally planning on blowing up a strip club they were thrown out of, which is bad

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Leal posted:

Everytime these people come up I think of the cartel lord and I decided that is exactly what is being spoken about here.

I think Matt said before that the name is a minor regret in the sense that it should have been something different, especially since they didn't expect things to blow up like it did.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's something weird and stupid. This weekend I found myself really bored and just wanted to listen to something asinine while I worked, and so I found out that apparently they just have megacuts of the Zero Punctuation series. Literally just every one of them year by year slammed together non-stop and they're hours long and it was something to just have yammering while I did my thing. I kind of liked this stuff when it first started so maybe it held up or something, I don't know.

But I've come to realize something unsurprising: this guy has some kind of hosed up issue with women. Like, he'll make jokes about dicks and asses all the time or about hitting himself in the balls or even about molestation and sexual abuse. But almost every time there's a female character involved he just gets inexplicably hateful about it and it's almost exclusively sexual. The only time I can think of so far he's really mentioned a female character without saying something sexual or just really crudely violent or pointlessly insulting has been one throwaway line about how Samus Aran wasn't in federation force in an E3 episode. Every other time, even if it's just a one off note about a side character or a joke about grand mothers, there's almost always some awful remark about their vaginas, breasts or just some long winded diatribe about how ugly they are. He can't even make the same jokes about a female character he does about male characters without adding something just pointlessly sexual or degrading into it on top of it. :psyduck:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I remember watching a few videos about Yahtzee's book (which naturally covered his other stuff too). I think this was one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhcLcaMJdP8

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

watho posted:

pretty much all criticism about chapo comes from

Amber being a trashcan yet being kept around.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IDK what bad stuff shes said but all the people who melted down over her stuff about Unions were idiots.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
amber is dumber than a post and the only reason i know who she is specifically is bc of the nutbag poo poo she said abt women getting hysterectomies for fun in an interview with a koch brothers owned right-wing magazine

quote:

Frost adds that lots of American women are ‘voluntary removing their reproductive organs’. ‘Nobody is talking about this. It’s a middle-class, very elite phenomenon, where they’re like, “I have menstrual problems, I’m going to remove my womb”. Lena Dunham wrote a whole loving essay about it.’

e: the only opinion i have abt chapo outside of this is that they should re-distribute their wealth

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

IDK what bad stuff shes said but all the people who melted down over her stuff about Unions were idiots.

Yardbomb posted:

them platforming a person who unironically does the "We need the rural racists to win elections" (Which is also classist poo poo because all the country people are baaaaad you see) and tries to play soft on chinese policies and also went on a far right rag to whine about the essjooz and man amber is fuckin trash in particular

She has a lot of poo poo thoughts.

And people on the other side of her union thing were mostly right imo on account of:

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, I'm really not of the mind anymore to trust a totally-not-a-nazi trying to join a union, when we already have enough of them trying to ~infiltrate~ spaces to damage or twist them as is.

Which again has become a regular 'threat', lovely chuds or adjacent trying to get into leftist or otherwise progressive spaces and start poo poo, sow discord, doxx people, misrepresent the group and so on. The american right genuinely cannot be trusted to participate in anything in good faith, I would say anymore, but it's always been the case with them really, it's only ever met with opportunistic backstabbing, sabotage and exploitation, the right wingers are antithetical to progress or fair treatment.

fun hater posted:

e: The only opinion I have about chapo outside of this is that they should re-distribute their wealth

This would also be cool as an aside.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 23, 2020

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Nuebot posted:

So here's something weird and stupid. This weekend I found myself really bored and just wanted to listen to something asinine while I worked, and so I found out that apparently they just have megacuts of the Zero Punctuation series. Literally just every one of them year by year slammed together non-stop and they're hours long and it was something to just have yammering while I did my thing. I kind of liked this stuff when it first started so maybe it held up or something, I don't know.

But I've come to realize something unsurprising: this guy has some kind of hosed up issue with women. Like, he'll make jokes about dicks and asses all the time or about hitting himself in the balls or even about molestation and sexual abuse. But almost every time there's a female character involved he just gets inexplicably hateful about it and it's almost exclusively sexual. The only time I can think of so far he's really mentioned a female character without saying something sexual or just really crudely violent or pointlessly insulting has been one throwaway,line about how Samus Aran wasn't in federation force in an E3 episode. Every other time, even if it's just a one off note about a side character or a joke about grand mothers, there's almost always some awful remark about their vaginas, breasts or just some long winded diatribe about how ugly they are. He can't even make the same jokes about a female character he does about male characters without adding something just pointlessly sexual or degrading into it on top of it. :psyduck:

I mean, when the escapist decided to declare itself a pro-gamergate rag he stuck around. it's not shocking that he's got lovely ideas about women

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

She has a lot of poo poo thoughts.

And people on the other side of her union thing were mostly right imo on account of:

Which again has become a regular 'threat', lovely chuds or adjacent trying to get into leftist or otherwise progressive spaces and start poo poo, sow discord, doxx people, misrepresent the group and so on. The american right genuinely cannot be trusted to participate in anything in good faith, I would say anymore, but it's always been the case with them really, it's only ever met with opportunistic backstabbing, sabotage and exploitation, the right wingers are antithetical to progress or fair treatment.

This would also be cool as an aside.

Hrmm. Well you won't get any arguments from me on the other stuff being bad but the idea that we need to not have unions because the chance that a racist or potentially just Impure person gets to be in one, is extremely bad. And I'm not accusing you specifically of having that exact thought but...that was the common takeaway I saw from people mad at her about that specific thing. Every worker should have the benefits a union provides, and if they're monstrous enough to be damaging to the union or workplace in general they should be terminated so it doesn't matter.

Also pretty sure they donate quite a bit to the DSA don't they?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just cannot wait for that next episode of Sam Kriss and Amber's podcast for the Baffler

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Every worker should have the benefits a union provides, and if they're monstrous enough to be damaging to the union or workplace in general they should be terminated so it doesn't matter.

It sorta comes back to the problem with fascists in general really. Most people have some headassed bigotry rattling around in their head that they gotta deal with, its when you take the next step and insist that your headassed bigotry is The Way Things Should Be that there's problems. If you know someone is a right winger at all it's because they're the latter type and they're going to start trying to wreck poo poo up for everyone they don't think "deserves" a good life.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrmm. Well you won't get any arguments from me on the other stuff being bad but the idea that we need to not have unions because the chance that a racist or potentially just Impure person gets to be in one, is extremely bad.

Not at all on the side of "Don't have unions" but more "But we have to welcome everybody" is where I lose the thread on it for the sorta stuff I was mentioning. Unions for more industries needs to be a thing more than ever, that's blatantly obvious, I just don't trust the idea that we have to welcome people who are normally supporting their suit daddies on the side of busting unions, disenfranchising labor and sapping power from the people actually doing work into it all, like oh you were anti-union until maybe it became beneficial enough for you to swallow your racism or love of class traitordom or whatever else or maybe because you see a chance to be a plant, I'm sure they'll be a great person to have around.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 23, 2020

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It seems like this discussion as a whole is a bit of a sad indictment of the state of unions in the US, in that a union should never be weak enough to be compromised by this sort of thing but with it being so lop-sided in favour of the employer over there...I do hope things get better eventually. Unions are hardly treated as the bringer of lentil-munching, Das Kapital-reading, collective-screaming cock breath motherfucker communism in other parts of the world.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Not at all on the side of "Don't have unions" but more "But we have to welcome everybody" is where I lose the thread on it for the sorta stuff I was mentioning. Unions for more industries needs to be a thing more than ever, that's blatantly obvious, I just don't trust the idea that we have to welcome people who are normally supporting their suit daddies on the side of busting unions, disenfranchising labor and sapping power from the people actually doing work into it all, like oh you were anti-union until maybe it became beneficial enough for you to swallow your racism or love of class traitordom or whatever else or maybe because you see a chance to be a plant, I'm sure they'll be a great person to have around.
For a union to work anyone who is too toxic to be a part of the union must be forced out of the workplace. You can't just exclude them from the benefits, you must get them fired/run out of town or else collective bargaining fundamentally doesn't work.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

For a union to work anyone who is too toxic to be a part of the union must be forced out of the workplace. You can't just exclude them from the benefits, you must get them fired/run out of town or else collective bargaining fundamentally doesn't work.

Well yeah, I've literally said "Oust right wingers from civil society" last time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I figured but it makes the hypothetical stupid. You shouldn't have to exclude a nazi from the union because you should have already lynched him or driven him out of town.

edit: Like it seems like a question designed by the sorta people who want a union that doesn't engage in physical violence, which is just hilarious.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 23, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is the covid-19-related content that I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eotWyZv5c&hd=1

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
haha my grandparents recently gave me a dart board and I've been trying to get good at darts

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jwo5qc78QU

tom scott released a very good video on why the problem isn’t with youtube’s copyright id system, it’s with copyright law

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Nuebot posted:

But I've come to realize something unsurprising: this guy has some kind of hosed up issue with women. Like, he'll make jokes about dicks and asses all the time or about hitting himself in the balls or even about molestation and sexual abuse. But almost every time there's a female character involved he just gets inexplicably hateful about it and it's almost exclusively sexual. The only time I can think of so far he's really mentioned a female character without saying something sexual or just really crudely violent or pointlessly insulting has been one throwaway line about how Samus Aran wasn't in federation force in an E3 episode. Every other time, even if it's just a one off note about a side character or a joke about grand mothers, there's almost always some awful remark about their vaginas, breasts or just some long winded diatribe about how ugly they are. He can't even make the same jokes about a female character he does about male characters without adding something just pointlessly sexual or degrading into it on top of it. :psyduck:
Its weird because if you read his stuff he generally has decent opinions when it comes to how poo poo videogames are at depicting women. Iirc he generally thinks that the world is too obsessed with sex in general and I'm pretty sure I once read a blog post of his where he basically declared himself Asexual. He's married now so its very easy to be uncharitable and suggest the edgy fedora wearing misanthrope maybe didn't do well with the opposite sex back then and that may have found its way into his scripts. I don't really care to watch his new stuff to see if he's gotten better over time though so who knows.

It also could be a case of him being a purveyor of "caustic british wit" and mistaking saying poo poo like BOOBFLAPS MCTITTSJIGGLE as him being the next Charlie Brooker.

In anycase add him to the list of 'edgy internet dude' that I grew out of watching a long time ago. I don't think he's like a full GGer, he's just got his grift and he was the only popular thing on the Escapist so they didn't fire him like everyone else at the time.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

watho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jwo5qc78QU

tom scott released a very good video on why the problem isn’t with youtube’s copyright id system, it’s with copyright law

Great vid, I agree with the spirit of the message. The actual solution is "destroy capitalism", though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PI_iPuqQ5M

Listen to Creepio, folks.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Great vid, I agree with the spirit of the message. The actual solution is "destroy capitalism", though.

i mean yeah, same with healthcare but that doesn’t mean i don’t support pushes for reform y’know?

i also think he’s too nice in his suggestions but someone with a large following talking about how copyright law is fundamentally broken is really good

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Its weird because if you read his stuff he generally has decent opinions when it comes to how poo poo videogames are at depicting women. Iirc he generally thinks that the world is too obsessed with sex in general and I'm pretty sure I once read a blog post of his where he basically declared himself Asexual. He's married now so its very easy to be uncharitable and suggest the edgy fedora wearing misanthrope maybe didn't do well with the opposite sex back then and that may have found its way into his scripts. I don't really care to watch his new stuff to see if he's gotten better over time though so who knows.

It also could be a case of him being a purveyor of "caustic british wit" and mistaking saying poo poo like BOOBFLAPS MCTITTSJIGGLE as him being the next Charlie Brooker.

In anycase add him to the list of 'edgy internet dude' that I grew out of watching a long time ago. I don't think he's like a full GGer, he's just got his grift and he was the only popular thing on the Escapist so they didn't fire him like everyone else at the time.

He did some let's play where he acted like GG were some noble rebels fighting against censorship.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

He did some let's play where he acted like GG were some noble rebels fighting against censorship.
The Escapist as a whole offered an environment sympathetic to GG chuds on their forums and so forth. It may have been the final straw for Extra Credits or Jim Sterling leaving the site, but the Escapist had a looooot of issues with its creators that weren’t Zero Punctuation so I may be misremembering things.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't really care to watch his new stuff to see if he's gotten better over time though so who knows.

That's the really weird thing, his new stuff from like 2019 is interchangeable with his old stuff from like 2014.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

grittyreboot posted:

Well gently caress him then.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

You could probably say "his old stuff from like 2008" tbh.

The Charlie Brooker comparisons are kinda amusing in retrospect, even if this was back in the day when Charlie got paid by the BBC to sit on his couch and humorously pretend to wank over everything.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

grittyreboot posted:

He did a livestream with Nazi poo poo stain Ian Miles Cheong so yeah...

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Kim Justice posted:

The Charlie Brooker comparisons are kinda amusing in retrospect, even if this was back in the day when Charlie got paid by the BBC to sit on his couch and humorously pretend to wank over everything.

https://youtu.be/3NlPDQWrPHg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

cancelled

This is a good excuse to say that the first Deadliest Warrior game on Xbox 360 was awesome -- not that "Legends" piffle which was a waste of money, but the first one rocked. Like a cheaper and obviously shittier but still really fun Bushido Blade. The Ninja remains the cheapest and most OP character in the history of fighting games.