Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Falco posted:

Is that tablet live streaming the Coronavirus stats? I don't know that I could handle having that up all the time, but I like the mounting of the tablet.

Look at this casual who's never played plague at real speed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Simple but figured I'd post since I was asking in the fix it fast thread about technique/tools to paint a wall half of a color. Ended up using a 4ft box level that I would hold firm while my wife taped the line, then of course we painted the white wall color to seal it before painting the pink. Room is a dual purpose guest room and kid play room, hence the mess.

Full disclosure we ended up with about 6 small spots that didn't seal and had the pink bleed up into the white, I took a small miniatures paintbrush with a straight edge to it and touched up those few spots.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just in case FL turns into mad max apocalypse and i fail at waylaying travelers or they are too fat to be eaten, put together a garden bed today

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Victory garden is on its way! Top soil comes in tomorrow, luckily construction is exempt from the lockdown.

This space used to be a very moldy garage. https://streamable.com/z0hes

crunchytacosupreme fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 24, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How much rain are you expecting to get, to fill those barrels? Or are you doing greywater reclamation?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Looking good! I would like to join your commune in the end times.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

crunchytacosupreme posted:

Victory garden is on its way! Top soil comes in tomorrow, luckily construction is exempt from the lockdown.

This space used to be a very moldy garage. https://streamable.com/z0hes

Hello fellow victory gardener

I did up my plan, but I'm claiming public space and going large as possible.

Power to the people, trying to start something community minded but I doubt anything will come of it. I would just prefer to be growing produce on public land than shitposting about the corona

The moment my work holiday gets extended I'm finding a nice space near a river and working there in the morning

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've also done up my garden for the year. Considering co-opting a field behind an elementary school to do some expanded gardening. But I don't really have the time as I'm in construction, and still working (Feeling lucky to have a paycheck now though)

Used 10 minutes of downtime at work to make a small something for my bird because of a pun posted in a discord.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1242213277712691210

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How much rain are you expecting to get, to fill those barrels? Or are you doing greywater reclamation?

We are collecting rain off of our 6 x 17 vinyl patio covering and each barrel is 55 gallons. The barrel furthest to the left is filled and the barrel next is about half way filled with yesterdays rain fall (about .1 inches). Hoping to fill them before the rainy season ends in (usually July).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Used 10 minutes of downtime at work to make a small something for my bird because of a pun posted in a discord.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1242213277712691210

The best project :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Trabant posted:

The best project :3:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am building this

with 4x4s, eyehole screws, and some wire

so that I can do this

with a whole bunch of apple trees on the south side of my house.

Note that the finished product will have one more horizontal row than my lovely MSPaint blueprint shows, because I just discovered that I have enough space to add one.

The bottom section of 4x4s (boards #1 through #7 in the blueprint) are already on the wall; I am currently in the process of moving the horizontal ones down about 15 inches to accommodate the aforementioned additional row.

The top section has not been started yet, and I am not looking forward to putting it up. The 4x4s on the bottom are already enough of a pain to install. The ones on the top are gonna be just like that, plus ladders. :gonk:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 28, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So how many years of growth will that take?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If starting with ~5 year old trees, which is normal, probably 4 years? If you actively prune branches, the plant will put all it's remaining energy into the remaining branches, this is a core principle of bonsai stuff

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Very nice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I am building this

with 4x4s, eyehole screws, and some wire

[...]

Note that the finished product will have one more horizontal row than my lovely MSPaint blueprint shows, because I just discovered that I have enough space to add one.

I fixed my diagram to show the new dimensions. Here’s what it’ll look like now.

I had to fix the diagram so I could get a rough idea of the dimensions of some wood......... arm...... rest..... support......... things I gotta shove into my windows (the windows are those yellow-orange boxes with the red outlines) to sit the top 4x4s on while I screw them into the wall. That way there won’t need to be TWO people on ladders trying to coordinate with each other while holding up heavy wood.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The wife did a paint by numbers thing for fun, so of course it fell on me to make a canvas frame for it. Even used some decent scrap wood a neighbor had in a discard pile out front.

Of course it goes in the room of the house befitting such quality work.

Ipissedmyself
Mar 30, 2007
What?
It's my Niece's Birthday coming up and as we all find ourselves with time on our hands I made the derpyist pinata. It's filled to the brim with candy and as the party has been cancelled on account of the lockdown I think I may well give her type II if she gets it all. It might be a little too sturdy so Dad will have to provide the killing blow I suspect..

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
My wife is getting two chickens so I built a fence to keep them away from the dogs. Coop comes next week. Recycled the gate.

edit: Also built covered bike parking.

crunchytacosupreme fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 18, 2020

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
one thing i read was to do project that "can't be perfect"

hello

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

you might need some bracing between the legs

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

InsertPotPun posted:

hello

I like it, you gave me an idea for failed pen blanks :)

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

crunchytacosupreme posted:

My wife is getting two chickens so I built a fence to keep them away from the dogs. Coop comes next week. Recycled the gate.

I've not gotten into the chicken farming quite yet (wife is keen to though), but doesn't the run need to be much taller and covered? Are you not concerned with (flying) predators, or your chickens flying out?

I would think dogs could also leap that fence with little effort.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Our neighbors let their chickens run free. They walk around the local woods.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

InsertPotPun posted:

hello

Love it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Why does that "robot" look so familiar?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm getting some miazaki castle in the sky vibes

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Are you thinking of the bad robot from the end of the Buffy tv show titles?

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 26, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

No I realized who it was now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POxMp61Ksbk

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Made myself a simple bench brake/metal folder out of whatever I had on hand:

After the first fold the lovely hinges bent

Still, good enough for what I need right now, guess I'll buy some beefier hinges when I can

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Small and simple but I was running out of storage space out in the garage and I had the scrap lumber.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Overbuilt super sturdy shelves are always so satisfying to build

You might consider tossing in a single diagonal strut on one of the middle shelves, at the back. I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon but if someone tries climbing on it etc etc

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

fallin1 posted:

Small and simple but I was running out of storage space out in the garage and I had the scrap lumber.

Nice. Hey buddy, liquids on the floor in case of leaks. Now let's talk about that awesome tool chest!

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Booger Presley posted:

Nice. Hey buddy, liquids on the floor in case of leaks. Now let's talk about that awesome tool chest!

Chemicals up top because I have a toddler who knows how doorknobs work. And thanks I think I paid like $200 total for that tool chest at a sears outlet.

That shelf weighs quite a bit so it's not going anywhere even if someone were to try and climb it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I have a special place in my heart for things built from scrap.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

fallin1 posted:

Chemicals up top because I have a toddler who knows how doorknobs work. And thanks I think I paid like $200 total for that tool chest at a sears outlet.

That shelf weighs quite a bit so it's not going anywhere even if someone were to try and climb it.

Oops! I always forget about the child variable. You make good things either way. Cheers!

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

She needs some drawers but she's done for now.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Real nice. How are those planes held in place?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

bobua posted:

This looks great! I’ve been wanting to make something similar to start getting things out of drawers. I need to build a real workbench first, which I feels so daunting to take on.

Falco fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bobua posted:

That looks fantastic.

I decided to build one of those Japanese Style tool boxes for all of my hand tools (building it entirely out of hand tools(maybe)), and to store it in my basement because my garage gets way too humid in the summer and things get a bit rusty.
I love your storage for the spoke shave and the chisels, I'm absolutely stealing those for one of the trays.

https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/making-a-traditional-japanese-toolbox

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 7, 2020