Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Given the character, I can only assume this was on purpose and therefore it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

The first version of the film submitted to the MPAA was given an NC-17 rating. It's known about and you can find a handful of lovely screen caps but I doubt anyone outside of the film industry ever saw it. Basically it's gorier and you kinda see a penis for a second.

Oh okay. I thought this was about some weird released cut or something.

It makes sense it was cut because it’s pretty gory as is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Given the character, I can only assume this was on purpose and therefore it owns.

:agreed:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Where did you get this info? There’s never been a NC-17 cut of Predator 2. It’s been the same movie since it came out in 1990, I think. At least if the VHS I bought as a kid was the original version.

Googling brought up an AVPGalaxy thread that cites an interview where the director states there were three edits of the movie, with the first two being workprints and the third being his intended cut of the movie, and no MPAA issues being involved. The NC-17 story goes around a lot, but it doesn't seem to have much to back it up.

It either doesn't exist at all, or a bunch of myth got attached to a regular workprint.

e: yeah, it seems like all the deleted scenes are extant anyways, and there's a grand total of one gore shot that got trimmed (the Jamaican gangster who gets netted). Everything else, including the weirdness with King Willie's decapitation, is exactly as intended (the latter is even in the script exactly the way it's in the movie).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 20, 2020

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

UHD...

the blacks are actually black :stare:

e: this is what I always wished Blu-rays looked like. 5th Element was a good first choice. There are so many textures.

Blu-rays are perfectly capable of producing proper blacks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is hilarious.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well my TV wasn't, apparently. The HDR made a massive difference in the blacks in general, as I'd expect, but the difference between picture quality of Blus on my last TV and UHD on my new one is pretty astounding.

Also, why the gently caress would a 4K TV have motion-smoothing on by default and force you to turn it off for each connected device individually :mad:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

feedmyleg posted:

Well my TV wasn't, apparently. The HDR made a massive difference in the blacks in general, as I'd expect, but the difference between picture quality of Blus on my last TV and UHD on my new one is pretty astounding.

Also, why the gently caress would a 4K TV have motion-smoothing on by default and force you to turn it off for each connected device individually :mad:

Because motion smoothing is awesome and amazing. It seriously makes everything look so much better.

I can't stand to watch a film unless the television is creating a ton of artifacts and making it look like it was shot like a soap opera.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Watching Into the Spider-Verse with motion smoothing to own the libs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive is having a 4 for $44 sale:
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44

Some highlights:
The Set-Up
The Fearless Vampire Killers
The Bad and the Beautiful
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Mr. Nice Guy
The Witches
The Letter
Action Jackson
My Favorite Year
Days of Wine and Roses
The Thing from Another World
Gun Crazy
Night Moves
Horror of Dracula
Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Volume 1
Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Volume 2
Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s Volume 3
Joe Versus the Volcano
Innocent Blood
Seven Days in May
Out of the Past
The Big Sleep
Suspicion
Time After Time
The Thin Man
The Sea Hawk
The Green Slime
The Hunger
The Sea Wolf
Ride the High Country
Gaslight
Bad Day at Black Rock
Super Fly
Dark Passage
Key Largo
Waiting for Guffman
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
Brewster McCloud
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Body Snatchers

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 20, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Googling brought up an AVPGalaxy thread that cites an interview where the director states there were three edits of the movie, with the first two being workprints and the third being his intended cut of the movie, and no MPAA issues being involved. The NC-17 story goes around a lot, but it doesn't seem to have much to back it up.

It either doesn't exist at all, or a bunch of myth got attached to a regular workprint.

e: yeah, it seems like all the deleted scenes are extant anyways, and there's a grand total of one gore shot that got trimmed (the Jamaican gangster who gets netted). Everything else, including the weirdness with King Willie's decapitation, is exactly as intended (the latter is even in the script exactly the way it's in the movie).

The internet lied to me. The one that really bums me out is Event Horizon. From what I've read it wasn't just "There's more gore in it!" but it was actually a better more cohesive movie because a bunch of the poo poo that got trimmed was character development that made every single one of their deaths was based around a deeply rooted personal issue. But there was also way more gore and the recording from the original crew is supposed to have been loving bananas.

Steen71 posted:

Blu-rays are perfectly capable of producing proper blacks.

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner Archive is having a 4 for $44 sale:
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44

Some highlights:
:words:

I reported this post for not mentioning Cleopatra Jones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

The internet lied to me. The one that really bums me out is Event Horizon. From what I've read it wasn't just "There's more gore in it!" but it was actually a better more cohesive movie because a bunch of the poo poo that got trimmed was character development that made every single one of their deaths was based around a deeply rooted personal issue. But there was also way more gore and the recording from the original crew is supposed to have been loving bananas.

That's always sounded wildly apocryphal to me. Event Horizon would still be a wildly uneven movie even with more gore and more cohesive editing. I love a lot of that flick, but it's just not well directed at its core.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I reported this post for not mentioning Cleopatra Jones.
:hmmyes:

My picks were this, The Witches, Man With Two Brains and Joe Vs. the Volcano.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AvP Galaxy is a frustrating place. All fanboys of the most fan boyish order.

CANON MUST BE CANON

lmao try telling them canon and lore doesn’t matter. They get all weird.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

That's always sounded wildly apocryphal to me. Event Horizon would still be a wildly uneven movie even with more gore and more cohesive editing. I love a lot of that flick, but it's just not well directed at its core.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't think that we're missing out on some masterpiece or anything just that it would be an improvement on what we have and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see the more extreme poo poo that grossed everyone out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

:hmmyes:

My picks were this, The Witches, Man With Two Brains and Joe Vs. the Volcano.

If I was going to buy anything from that sale it would be Cleopatra Jones, The Green Slime, The Hunger, and The Hidden. But that's just off the top of my head because I'm sure if I browsed that I'd have a hard time deciding. And as I typed this I remembered that they have V. Body Snatchers also rules.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

AvP Galaxy is a frustrating place. All fanboys of the most fan boyish order.

CANON MUST BE CANON

lmao try telling them canon and lore doesn’t matter. They get all weird.

Yo dawg I’m on that site and my whole schtick is that canon doesn’t matter.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My picks for this Warner sale so far:
Joe Versus the Volcano (haven't seen it since I was a kid)
Wagon Master (saw this on TCM and John Ford is always worth it)
A Touch of Class (heard good things about it)
Merrill's Marauders (been on a Sam Fuller kick lately)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (realized I didn't own this)
Mr. Nice Guy (want to see more Jackie Chan)
Days of Wine and Roses (saw the TV version with Cliff Robertson, want to see this version)
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (Paul Newman + John Huston, enough for me to be interested)

And here's my takes on the WA releases I already own:

42nd Street - Essential Busby Berkeley early 30s pre-code musical, but...
Footlight Parade - What if you took a Busby Berkeley musical and smashed it with a screwball comedy starring James Cagney and Joan Blondell? This is one of the underrated gems of their entire library!
Jezebel - Good William Wyler/Bette Davis film
The Sea Hawk - Fun swashbuckler with Errol Flynn directed by Michael Curtiz
The Sea Wolf - Great wartime adaptation of Jack London with Edward G. Robinson, John Garfield, and Ida Lupino directed by Curtiz (both this and "Hawk" are newly restored with the original full-length cuts)
Suspicion - Almost great Hitchcock with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine, only hampered by a ridiculous ending
Yankee Doodle Dandy - Essential 40s James Cagney musical directed by Michael Curtiz
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Spooky adaptation by Albert Lewin of the Oscar Wilde story with Hurd Hatfield, George Sanders, and Angela Lansbury (with some Technicolor surprises)
Gun Crazy - One of the great noirs by Joseph H. Lewis (with an incredible long-take bank robbery)
The Set-Up - Brisk, short boxing noir by Robert Wise starring Robert Ryan (this has a commentary by Martin Scorsese)
Bad Day at Black Rock - Another shorter CinemaScope film by John Sturges with Spencer Tracy beating the poo poo out of Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Awesome Tennessee Williams adaptation (by Richard Brooks) with powerhouse performances by Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman
The Loved One - Tony Richardson's silly satire on Hollywood and the funeral industry with an all star cast (including Liberace as a casket salesman)
Performance - Trippy first feature by Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell starring Mick Jagger
Night Moves - Great neo-noir with Gene Hackman, directed by Arthur Penn
My Favorite Year - Fun comedy with Peter O'Toole as an Errol Flynn type past his prime
Innocent Blood - Underrated John Landis horror-comedy with Robert Loggia at his best as a vampire mob boss (also has the best cameos out of all of Landis' films - Frank Oz, Sam Raimi, Dario Argento, Tom Savini, and Forrest Ackerman)
Body Snatchers - Abel Ferrara's outstanding reimagining of Invasion of the Body Snatchers that's visually stunning and easily one of the scariest films I've ever seen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it's known that the original cut got an NC-17 rating and the movie had to be heavily trimmed. Paul W.S. Anderson spent ages bugging Paramount to give him a little money to assemble an unrated cut for home video, but he announced almost two years ago that he had finally been informed that all of the cut footage had been destroyed. :smith:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

I mean, it's known that the original cut got an NC-17 rating and the movie had to be heavily trimmed. Paul W.S. Anderson spent ages bugging Paramount to give him a little money to assemble an unrated cut for home video, but he announced almost two years ago that he had finally been informed that all of the cut footage had been destroyed. :smith:

They found the loving reels in a Romanian salt mine. Supposedly the producer has what may be that cut on a VHS tape but him and Anderson just haven't bothered to actually look at it last I heard. In any case it probably doesn't look very good. You can find some of the deleted scenes on youtube and if they're any indication of what we lost then it was probably a cool movie. Unfortunately those clips are silent but there's a longer version of the final confrontation with Dr. Weir and him making Miller see the crew member he lost. It's a way scarier scene.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

They found the loving reels in a Romanian salt mine. Supposedly the producer has what may be that cut on a VHS tape but him and Anderson just haven't bothered to actually look at it last I heard. In any case it probably doesn't look very good. You can find some of the deleted scenes on youtube and if they're any indication of what we lost then it was probably a cool movie. Unfortunately those clips are silent but there's a longer version of the final confrontation with Dr. Weir and him making Miller see the crew member he lost. It's a way scarier scene.

This isn't surprising. Despite the amount of stuff that's truly lost, the amount of film that's simply forgotten and stuffed into vaults is staggering.

Consider that the almost complete premiere cut of Metropolis was sitting in an Argentinean vault for decades without anyone knowing any better because no one actually checked the reels until the 2000s.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

This isn't surprising. Despite the amount of stuff that's truly lost, the amount of film that's simply forgotten and stuffed into vaults is staggering.

Consider that the almost complete premiere cut of Metropolis was sitting in an Argentinean vault for decades without anyone knowing any better because no one actually checked the reels until the 2000s.

I love when they find stuff like that in weird places. Unrelated, but do you know how long that 4 for 44 sale on Warner Archives will last?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not film, but I was helping clear out old poo poo in my high school some 7 years ago and wedged between a wall and some rickety 1970s shelving were about 4 granite friezes that had this awesome 1940s aesthetic. They had apparently been up until the 80s and they just got stuffed in a place during renovations.

I wonder if anyone knows they're there...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I love when they find stuff like that in weird places. Unrelated, but do you know how long that 4 for 44 sale on Warner Archives will last?

I think usually a week? I recall they put in a notice near the end. Went ahead and put my order in just in case.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is this going on past Apri?

Also, more like 16 for $176 :negative:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Is this going on past Apri?

Also, more like 16 for $176 :negative:

...and it's been canned early due to the COVID-19 shutdown in California.

If you placed an order already, they're going to try to ship by March 25, but no more orders are being accepted. Not a big deal - I think a lot of labels are going to continue having sales for the next month or two, much like how Criterion added an extra discount to ordering off their site.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Folks... it happened....

IT HAPPEND.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've had these for a few years and I kept forgetting to post them for the street cred.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I love when they find stuff like that in weird places.

My favourite: Dreyer's original version of The Passion of Joan of Arc "was lost for decades after a fire destroyed the master negative and only variations of Dreyer's second version were available. In 1981, an employee of the Dikemark Hospital mental institution in Oslo found several film canisters in a janitor's closet that were labeled as being The Passion of Joan of Arc.[1] The canisters were sent to the Norwegian Film Institute where they were first stored for three years until finally being examined. It was then discovered that they were Dreyer's original cut prior to government or church censorship. There were never any records of the film being shipped to Oslo, but film historians believe that the then director of the institution may have requested a special copy since he was also a published historian."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There's also that goon who found an original print of 'Manos: The Hands of Fate' at a garage sale or something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I've had these for a few years and I kept forgetting to post them for the street cred.

Embarrassed that I'm jealous.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

There's also that goon who found an original print of 'Manos: The Hands of Fate' at a garage sale or something.

Storage locker was going to be auctioned off and Ben Solo bought of the film reels inside it. Turned out to have the Emerson holdings which included the 16mm reversal, a 35mm print, a 1" video master, and some stuff for The Atomic Brain I think.

Steen71 posted:

My favourite: Dreyer's original version of The Passion of Joan of Arc "was lost for decades after a fire destroyed the master negative and only variations of Dreyer's second version were available. In 1981, an employee of the Dikemark Hospital mental institution in Oslo found several film canisters in a janitor's closet that were labeled as being The Passion of Joan of Arc.[1] The canisters were sent to the Norwegian Film Institute where they were first stored for three years until finally being examined. It was then discovered that they were Dreyer's original cut prior to government or church censorship. There were never any records of the film being shipped to Oslo, but film historians believe that the then director of the institution may have requested a special copy since he was also a published historian."

Nothing tops this one.

Though, the really wild stories are for color films when they find out the insurance-mandated color separations have extra footage compared to the camera negative. This is how the original or near-original cuts of Spartacus, Heaven's Gate, and 2001 were found. Basically, before a single print is made and even during editing, B&W color separations were made in case a shot in the negative is damaged and has to be replaced. Until better duplicating stock existed in the 80s, making a new duplicate negative from color separations tended to look better than from an interpositive.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome is having a pre-quarantine sale this weekend to keep the lights on. Additional 15% off everything but April pre-orders. No combined shipments.

Edit:
Also free shipping (I think it's US only)

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 21, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I kind of hate that The UFO Abduction is officially being called "The McPherson Tape" for the blu-ray release. The family in the movie's name isn't even McPherson.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome is having a pre-quarantine sale this weekend to keep the lights on. Additional 15% off everything but April pre-orders. No combined shipments.

Edit:

Everyone better be ordering Putney Swope if they haven't already bought it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Everyone better be ordering Putney Swope if they haven't already bought it.

I don’t know what that is or why I need to buy it. :confused:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t know what that is or why I need to buy it. :confused:

Robert Downey Sr's fantastic satire about a group of Black men who get hired into the advertising industry and make insane ads.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Iron Crowned posted:

Nope, no free shipping.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I actually just watched the old Eclipse version of Putney a few days ago. It’s good and I’d probably spring for the upgrade if there wasn’t other new stuff I want more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Second Sight just posted that the Dawn of the Dead Blu/UHD set has been postponed due to the global pandemic.