Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

Second Sight just posted that the Dawn of the Dead Blu/UHD set has been postponed due to the global pandemic.

:(

That's the one movie that I've really been itching to watch again since this all started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Second Sight just posted that the Dawn of the Dead Blu/UHD set has been postponed due to the global pandemic.

:irony:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is the Shout Factory or arrow release of John Carpenter's The Thing a better transfer?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm also curious. Bought both accidentally but haven't opened Shout's yet.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I think if you bought the steelbox edition from Shout, they’re the same 4k transfer.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The steelbook comes with both transfers. There's a pretty big difference between the two, with the 4K original camera negative transfer actually looking softer, brighter, and warmer than the 2K interpositive transfer, which looks sharper with darker blacks and a less warm color scheme. To my eyes, the perceived extra detail of the 2K transfer might be due to a sharpening filter/edge enhancement. One thing to note about the 2K transfer is that it's veerrry slightly horizontally squished. It isn't noticeable while watching it, but you can tell when switching between screenshots for sure.

4K original camera negative scan (Arrow / Shout Steelbook disc 1)

2K interpositive scan (Shout 2016 release / Shout Steelbook disc 2)

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 24, 2020

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Origami Dali posted:

4K original camera negative transfer actually looking softer, brighter, and warmer than the 2K interpositive transfer, which looks sharper with darker blacks and a less warm color scheme. To my eyes, the perceived extra detail of the 2K transfer might be due to a sharpening filter/edge enhancement.

An increase in contrast equals an increase in perceived sharpness. :eng101:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

for now its just the pre-order, but yeah, I dont see the release date hanging in there.

https://twitter.com/secondsightfilm/status/1242450101324394496

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I got the steelbook with both transfers (which both include the 5.1 remix, 70mm 4.0 track, and 35mm Dolby Stereo 2.0).

The 2K from the interpositive is probably a good simulation of what audiences saw in 1982 while the 4K is probably even sharper than what the 70mm blowups looked like. Great idea to include both since they're both filmmaker-approved (Carpenter on the 2K, Cundey on the 4K, I think).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that 4K steelbook isn't actually a 4K UHD disc tho right? I see it popping up online from time to time for $50 and want to grab it, but I dunno if its actually a UHD or not and just a 4K transfer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

that 4K steelbook isn't actually a 4K UHD disc tho right? I see it popping up online from time to time for $50 and want to grab it, but I dunno if its actually a UHD or not and just a 4K transfer.

I got it from Shout directly in their Carpenter birthday sale for $20, I think. Technically, both are 2K - Shout scanned at 2K and restored at 2K, Arrow scanned at 4K and restored at 2K.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Is that Martin blu-ray still happening?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Do y’all love Tom Cruise? Top Gun, War of the Worlds, and Days of Thunder are all headed for 4K in May. I remember War of the Worlds being pretty visually bland. The other two should really benefit from the upgrade.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I remember really digging some of the sound design in WotW. Also Dakota Fanning screaming a ton, I believe.

I really want Minority Report to come out on UHD. The ending going full Spielberg is still a bummer, but I really enjoy everything leading up to it. gently caress, maybe I throw on the BD tonight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Liar Lyre posted:

Do y’all love Tom Cruise? Top Gun, War of the Worlds, and Days of Thunder are all headed for 4K in May. I remember War of the Worlds being pretty visually bland. The other two should really benefit from the upgrade.

Top Gun is also pretty blandly shot outside of a few sequences, but holy poo poo, a full restoration of Days of Thunder will be amazing. (The movie's lame as hell, but it's beautiful.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I remember really digging some of the sound design in WotW. Also Dakota Fanning screaming a ton, I believe.

I really want Minority Report to come out on UHD. The ending going full Spielberg is still a bummer, but I really enjoy everything leading up to it. gently caress, maybe I throw on the BD tonight.
In that case I prefer the saccharine Spielberg ending.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Liar Lyre posted:

Weirdest thing about War of the Worlds is the square jawed soldier that Tom Cruise talks to at the end of the movie was my Drill Sergeant.

Anyway, I love introducing my wife to classics she hasn't seen. We watched the 4K transfer of the Thing and she asked "why are they being so mean to that poor dog?"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Liar Lyre posted:

WotW05 is basically Spielberg reappropriating his Saving Private Ryan look for the post 9/11 world. It's great.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I finally saw The Thing a few months back at my local indie theater, and it absolutely ruled.

It actually made me a little queasy with how good the effects were, and annoyed at how much computer generated stuff exists in modern films. I mean, digital blood/bullets suck so badly compared to squibs and whatnot. Bleh.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bill Hunt is starting to review the UHD of the Star Wars Skywalker Saga:
https://thedigitalbits.com/frontpage/digital-bits-review-database

Seems like the new 4K masters are excellent for the most part, as are the Dolby Atmos remixes...

But it looks like no return of extras from the 2004 DVD set of the OT (Empire of Dreams, theatrical trailers), and most of the 2011 Blu-ray Saga box extras besides commentaries, deleted scenes, and some interviews. The crazy thing is that it looks like ALL the extras from the prequel trilogy DVDs and the sequel trilogy Blu-rays are intact.

I guess they know anyone wanting the OT will just pirate it at this point.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Boywhiz88 posted:

I finally saw The Thing a few months back at my local indie theater, and it absolutely ruled.

It actually made me a little queasy with how good the effects were, and annoyed at how much computer generated stuff exists in modern films. I mean, digital blood/bullets suck so badly compared to squibs and whatnot. Bleh.

It's extra disappointing that all the practical effects in the prequel had CGI superimposed over them. It's not a great film by any stretch of the imagination, certainly not a patch on the Carpenter film, but gently caress me if it doesn't make it just that extra little bit shittier.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome's 4k UHD for the half-way sale is the BMX movie, RAD!

The other two announced titles are Patty Hearst, and The Immortalizer.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome's 4k UHD for the half-way sale is the BMX movie, RAD!

The other two announced titles are Patty Hearst, and The Immortalizer.

A childhood friend of mine loved that movie, but could never find it on any format when he moved near me. Looks like I finally get to see it.

Also with Vinegar Syndrome getting the rights to some of the MGM backlog, does anyone else think there is a chance we'll finally get a proper release of William Malone's Creature

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
RAD is one of those movies where it's actually really loving weird that it hasn't gotten any kind of post-VHS release up until now, because it's... actually pretty well-known.

Like, you've almost certainly heard this movie's theme song before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVZzXgMdXs

e: Wait, what the gently caress, I was googling to see where else this song has shown up because I can think of American Dad and the Blood Bros Trilogy mixtapes off the top of my head

And apparently there's covers of this song by both Stan Bush (of Transformers fame) and Joe Esposito (of Karate Kid fame)

The Stan Bush one kind of sucks and has a hilariously bad video, but the Joe Esposito version actually loving rules too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7BvfaLiWEg

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 27, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

There is only one BMX themed movie that matters and it is BMX Bandits.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It’s crazy that Rad is going to be available on disc. That’s a big one to cross off the “Never left VHS” list. How many “white whales” are left? Let it Be has been rumored to come out for a while now. The Keep only just got a dvd release in January. Song of the South will never happen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

There is only one BMX themed movie that matters and it is BMX Bandits.

BMX Bandits is a better movie, but RAD has the much, much better soundtrack.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

It’s crazy that Rad is going to be available on disc. That’s a big one to cross off the “Never left VHS” list. How many “white whales” are left? Let it Be has been rumored to come out for a while now. The Keep only just got a dvd release in January. Song of the South will never happen.

There's been multiple articles confirming Let It Be finally coming out for the 50th anniversary later this year. Sounds like Peter Jackson's new documentary will be released on its own while I'm predicting the 1970 film will be exclusive to the deluxe edition album.

My biggest "white whales" are the MGM silents Warner Bros. has been sitting on for over 20 years like The Crowd (King Vidor), Greed (Erich von Stroheim), The Wind (Victor Sjostrom), and The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Fred Niblo). Warner Archive is supposedly working on at least The Crowd and The Wind, it's been rumored Criterion has Greed (as well as Paramount's The Wedding March). They did manage to release nearly all the Lon Chaney and Greta Garbo silent films on DVD-R at least, as well as some others.

For that matter, Scream Factory getting all the MGM Lon Chaney films from Warner Bros. for a box set would be amazing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Just watched Tammy and the T-Rex... Y'all weren't lying about this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
FINE i ordered the 4K geez :mad:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm predicting the 1970 film will be exclusive to the deluxe edition album.

That will be such horse poo poo if they don't make the movie a stand alone blu-ray you can get without paying a hundred dollars for a bunch of stupid other poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

That will be such horse poo poo if they don't make the movie a stand alone blu-ray you can get without paying a hundred dollars for a bunch of stupid other poo poo.

i mean, all three surviving Beatles loving hate that movie, so we're frankly lucky they're willing to acquiesce to that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You should do a recount on the surviving Beatles.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...how the hell did I think George Harrison was still alive

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Somehow 2005 feels closer than 2015.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Who gives a poo poo what the living beatles think in tyool 2020?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Even The Meatmen managed to update their song to Two Down, Two to Go when George died.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

Who gives a poo poo what the living beatles think in tyool 2020?

i mean, it's a little important when you're dealing with material they own the rights to. if they're not cool with it, it doesn't happen.

now, if they didn't own the rights to the movie, you'd have a pretty strong point there.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's gonna fuckin rule when Ringo is the only one left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, MVD has a flash sale on Arrow titles right now:
https://mvdshop.com/collections/arrow-video-flash-sale-up-to-80-off?fbclid=IwAR0XD3RGT53rCYXq0UQ1hvixvF5yf81PTcpXntSryIlzTJGCrKDsXdzowQY

Even have a coupon code to get free shipping if you spend at least $50.