Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Buffoon take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Are we considering TV shows as part of these franchises? Like Bates Motel for instance.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sure, why not. Count Freddy's Nightmares and the proto-Warehouse 13 Friday the 13th: The Series too. Blade tv show too. All of it

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

:siren: VOTE NOW! First Crystal Lake Knockout Round!

wait... what's this?

Subspecies was taken down and consumed by Hannibal Lecter! This lamb's been silenced, and the Lecterverse has been added to the bracket!

This round:

Friday the 13th vs Psycho! A Cinderella story for Norman Bates as two momma's boys go toe-to-toe!

Evil Bong vs SAW! A series that devolved into self-parody vs a series that started there!

Wishmaster vs The Hills Have Eyes! Two franchises that live or die based on their leading heavy signing on to star. Divoff vs Berryman, who ya got?

Underworld vs I Know What You Did Last Summer! Kate Beckinsale in a leather corset vs Jennifer Love Hewitt in a tank top!

The Universal Monsters Catalog of the 30s vs Rob Zombie's loosely-connected ouvré! Whose shared universe will reign supreme?

Cube vs Hostel! How far can a powerful hook with no legs carry each of these franchises?

Child's Play vs Feast. Chucky vs.... uh... the Feasties?

Puppet Master vs Leprechaun! OK so, after the top seeds were determined, the rest (about half) were assigned randomly. You have no reason to believe me, but this diminutive showdown happened 100% organically.

:hr::hr::hr::hr::hr::hr::hr::hr::hr:

You don't have to vote right away! Quote this post and strip out the franchise image you want to lobby for and pitch others on why they should support you! Post Now! Voting Ends next Monday!

E: https://letterboxd.com/shrecknet/list/horror-march-madness/ I'll update the rankings here as well.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 24, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You may want to set it up so it's possible to not vote on a pairing. Otherwise about 99% of your participants will be forced to either vote for a franchise they've never seen a movie in or vote at random.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jedit posted:

You may want to set it up so it's possible to not vote on a pairing. Otherwise about 99% of your participants will be forced to either vote for a franchise they've never seen a movie in or vote at random.
I've added "no opinion/vote for Uwe Boll's BloodRayne" to each pairing

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 24, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Oh man. Subspecies probably had a good chance of making it far. It's a step above Puppet Master. None of the entries ever enter Very Good, but they begin with a hot streak of 3/5s for like four movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm sure Shreknet is already aware of this, but bitching about the decisions of the "committee" is a long-standing tradition of bracketology so please don't take offense.

My main campaign for this round is I Know What You Did Last Summer. Now, let's not get carried away, I Know What You Did Last Summer is not great. But I saw it when I was still young enough to get scared and you know what? A creepy dude hunting high school kids with a hook scared me.

Underworld is mildly entertaining but it also has stretches that are very boring(throughout the series) and the action is really not very good. It's supposed to be like an action/horror mix and neither of them really delivers.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 24, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure Shreknet is already aware of this, but bitching about the decisions of the "committee" is a long-standing tradition of bracketology so please don't take offense.

My main campaign for this round is I Know What You Did Last Summer. Now, let's not get carried away, I Know What You Did Last Summer is not great. But I saw it when I was still young enough to get scared and you know what? A creepy dude hunting high school kids with a hook scared me.

Underworld is mildly entertaining but it also has stretches that are very boring(throughout the series) and the action is really not very good. It's supposed to be like an action/horror mix and neither of them really delivers.

I remember I Know What You Did Last Summer was the talked about movie of '97 and '98 (in my world). I would have been in elementary school at the time, so I guess it was that perfect mix of "scary & mysterious but not violent and gory or sexual" PG-13, so plenty of kids got to see it to talk about it. Everyone would have been old enough to know what Scream is, but not old enough to have seen it, so IKWYDLS was a major talking point. My mom even watched it, thinking it was more of a mystery than a slasher, and she never watches horror movies. I remember asking her a lot of questions about what it was. I don't think I actually watched it until I was 12 or 13, and it was officially over-shadowed by Scream and the original parody in Scary Movie.

By then everyone had moved onto The Ring as the big movie to talk about. I remember when EVERYONE was talking about The Ring.

I wonder what scary movies kids in elementary schools talk about now.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

vs :thunk:

:ninja: looking at the early responses and if you fuckers put in BloodRayne over either Leprechaun or Puppet Master I will be v. cross

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 24, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JLH all the way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Franchescanado posted:

JLH all the way.

You are loving crazy

My prediction is that F13 get's knocked out first round.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This is entirely a boob vs butt people discussion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

married but discreet posted:

This is entirely a boob vs butt people discussion.

It's a "Kate Beckinsale in a leather catsuit" versus "the blind" discussion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also in the sequel JLH wears a similar outfit but it's raining for most of the movie. Just sayin

And to be a little less creepy, Jennifer Love Hewitt really became famous because of her smile, which is ridiculously hypnotic. Beckinsale never had that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Yeah sorry, current situation is making everyone a bit thirsty I suppose.

I'm pleased with Psycho knocking out Jurassic Park! Now in my entirely uninformed opinion of having watched Psycho and not a single Friday the 13th, I think Psycho should knock out that franchise as well.
I have never even heard of Feast, let alone a horror series of that name. I doubt it has a chance against Child's Play, but I am interested to watch. Anyone want to make a case for it?\

Another series we missed is Ring/Ringu

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I'm pleased with Psycho knocking out Jurassic Park! Now in my entirely uninformed opinion of having watched Psycho and not a single Friday the 13th, I think Psycho should knock out that franchise as well.
I have never even heard of Feast, let alone a horror series of that name. I doubt it has a chance against Child's Play, but I am interested to watch. Anyone want to make a case for it?\

Feast is a bit much. I'm not the biggest Chucky guy really but the franchise has so much iconic wacky crap in it I have to give it my vote.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have never even heard of Feast, let alone a horror series of that name. I doubt it has a chance against Child's Play, but I am interested to watch. Anyone want to make a case for it?
Feast was kind of a proto-Cabin in the Woods, acknowledging and deconstructing horror movie tropes (from a Home Invasion/Creature Feature angle instead of Slasher), and it had some pretty gnarly effects and kills. I haven't seen any of the sequels, but given how the first one is merely 'above average' vs the entire Child's Play franchise just being banger after banger for over 3 decades, I cannot in good conscience say it should win.

Basebf555 posted:

Also in the sequel JLH wears a similar outfit but it's raining for most of the movie. Just sayin
Everyone should see Heartbreakers immediately. It's a gender-flipped Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Sigourney Weaver and JLH as mother-and-daughter con artists, and Ray Liotta playing Henry Hill.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 24, 2020

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Feast is the "turn it up to 11" of horror movies. It's completely over the top. It does make for a good binge watch since the trilogy flows together really well.

It's not taking out Child's Play though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Feast is the convergence of early 00's meta horror and early 00's edgelord humor. Jason Mewes plays himself, a woman gets mouth-raped by an alien monster including her coughing up alien monster cum which is played for laughs, and characters are introduced with names like "Heroine #2" and "Boss Man". It's not entirely irredeemable: the monster effects are good, the physical effects and body horror in general are good, you get to see a few recognizable faces like Judah Friedlander.

In general, it's tone has aged poorly and is pretty off-putting. They kill off characters willy-nilly, but instead of the intended surprise of subversion, it's just kinda mean-spirited and in bad taste.

I can handle bad taste when it's fun or absurd--Street Trash, Terror Firmer, certain Full Moon films--but Feast is just dour.

Feast came into the public awareness and gained a cult interest/following from being the subject production of Project Greenlight season 3, and Matt Damon and Ben Affleck and Wes Craven's involvement. It's really the only film I know off-hand from that show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Feast is memorable because it was the product of a reality show called Project Greenlight, and had some prominent producers like Ben Affleck. So it was more high profile at the time than it probably would've been otherwise.

Goddamnit Fran

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Feast is memorable because it was the product of a reality show called Project Greenlight, and had some prominent producers like Ben Affleck. So it was more high profile at the time than it probably would've been otherwise.

Goddamnit Fran

Great minds post alike!

Shrecknet posted:

Everyone should see Heartbreakers immediately. It's a gender-flipped Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Sigourney Weaver and JLH as mother-and-daughter con artists, and Ray Liotta playing Henry Hill.

I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember it being one of the raunchiest PG-13 movies of that decade.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember it being one of the raunchiest PG-13 movies of that decade.
Negatory, Ghost Rider. Both Bedazzled and Dude, Where's My Car? came out that decade

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I stand by my assertion that F13 is going to get knocked out early if not in the very first round.

Pittsburgh bracket is going to be brutal.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

OK so, in my mind, here's how I envisioned this: Post the matchups for the week, let people lobby for their picks in this thread, then at the end of the week open up voting. That way people have time to not just deliberate, but post clips of the best kills, write long-form support articles, whatever. If you think it would be easier to just be able to vote immediately, let me know, otherwise I'm gonna do it so we are always 1 week behind voting. I dunno. Feels weird to open voting but then have a week's discussion, like... someone could click through because who gives a gently caress about Children of the Corn, then someone else posts a clip from Children of the Corn 6 that's just like, epochal and no one ever saw it before.

Thoughts?
I realized as I created the first poll that I can set it so you can change your mind later; therefore going forward polls open when the next bracket is posted, but I will allow you to change your vote if someone makes a compelling argument in this thread.

E: I'm campaigning for Leprechaun over Puppet Master just because while there are not one but TWO horrifically racist Leprechaun movies, at least none of them are explicitly Pro-Nazi.

Franchescanado posted:

IKWYDLS was a major talking point until it was officially over-shadowed by Scream and the original parody in Scary Movie
The original Scary Movie (before Friedburg and Seltzer took over the franchise) is legit hilarious and the IKWYDLS scene in particular is actually a good example of how much fun it was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUGqRslUTxI

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 24, 2020

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

E: I'm campaigning for Leprechaun over Puppet Master just because while there are not one but TWO horrifically racist Leprechaun movies, at least none of them are explicitly Pro-Nazi.

I'm entirely willing to accept that I'm just bad at reading stuff but even the apparently Nazi Puppet Master movie is not explicitly so - I didn't see any of the poo poo people talk about with regard to "you're supposed to be rooting for the puppets" in it, and only knowledge of the people/production company involved can make that apparent. Even if we write that one off entirely, though, we've still got like 13 other movies that are at least 60% about how much Nazis suck. Including the one or two where you actually, explicitly, are supposed to be rooting for the puppets while they kill Nazis.

In conclusion, I'll take 13/14 anti-Nazi and 1/14 quasi-pro-Nazi over 2/8 racist and 6/8 who cares nobody's even seen the newest Leprechaun. It could be full Nazi for all we know.

On a related note, this is about the only way the brackets could have worked out to give Evil Bong a victory so hooray for that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm entirely willing to accept that I'm just bad at reading stuff but even the apparently Nazi Puppet Master movie is not explicitly so - I didn't see any of the poo poo people talk about with regard to "you're supposed to be rooting for the puppets" in it, and only knowledge of the people/production company involved can make that apparent.

I haven't seen the movie, but apparently the screenwriter is Jewish, for what it's worth.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Am I right to remember that along with being a Project Greenlight film Feast is notable as being one of the films Jason Mewes' buddies made in an effort to clean him up? Like "get your act clean and we'll make a horror movie you can star in"? Or am I confusing it with Jay & Silent Bob or something?

Man there so many throwaway franchises n this bracket but that Universal Monsters vs Zombie kinda makes me sad. And Psycho will be the first of many I'm sad to see fall to Jason.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Am I right to remember that along with being a Project Greenlight film Feast is notable as being one of the films Jason Mewes' buddies made in an effort to clean him up? Like "get your act clean and we'll make a horror movie you can star in"? Or am I confusing it with Jay & Silent Bob or something?

Man there so many throwaway franchises n this bracket but that Universal Monsters vs Zombie kinda makes me sad. And Psycho will be the first of many I'm sad to see fall to Jason.

Pretty sure you're confusing it with Clerks 2. Jason was still an active addict during the filming of Feast.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

As good a the first Puppet Master was. One of sequels is basically white power Nazi propaganda so it should lose just because of being disqualified.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shrecknet posted:

vs :thunk:

:ninja: looking at the early responses and if you fuckers put in BloodRayne over either Leprechaun or Puppet Master I will be v. cross

You gotta include the fact that the third Underworld takes place in Medieval times but they still put the female lead in skin tight latex. That's commitment.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
All Leprechauns have been dogshit, and I won't let some Nazi dipshits hijack the entire Puppet Master franchise bad enough to lose to THAT.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m on team Leprechaun because Warwick Davis tries his very bestest

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m on team Leprechaun because Warwick Davis tries his very bestest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWlhLSitJ8

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Oscar

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

All Leprechauns have been dogshit, and I won't let some Nazi dipshits hijack the entire Puppet Master franchise bad enough to lose to THAT.
Bullshit. The Lep kept tittyslashers going.

PuppetMaster has some great work though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
poo poo I missed this thread until just now. voted in the current round!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I don't find his case all that compelling.

I didn't find his case compelling either, and it felt like he was stretching at times. It did feel like he was going the 'have to ascribe weighty meaning to everything' route.

Anyway,

Franchescanado posted:

Feast is the convergence of early 00's meta horror and early 00's edgelord humor.

Pretty much. I do agree that in parts it has aged very poorly, but that can be said about a fair amount of movies. I consider the other two in the series more mean-spirited/bad taste than the first, and while I did see them, I didn't think they were worth picking up a copy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reminder that in the real March Madness, there's the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight and Final Four. Gonna need some Cryptkeeper-level puns for those. Currently toying with Sweet Six-Scream, Elite Hate and Final Girl Four.

EE-HEE-HEE-HEEEEEE

e: holy poo poo while looking for the Cryptkeeper image I found this, and now I have to hear this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Evil Eight and Fatal Four are pretty low energy but serviceable alliteration