Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Same reason as louvers.

Ok, yes, arguably, louvers could actually serve a purpose, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen any of the people fawning over them say "hoo boy this is going to lower my interior temp at least a tenth of a degree!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
you wanna fight or what?

aint in the same category as

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 16, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

our cars thirst for pedestrian blood

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They look a lot better on a white car, gonna get some for my GT500.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I decided I don't want to supercharge or turbocharge my mustang. I have been fawning all over the Aluminator XS52. 580 hp NA with a gt350 style crank.

So I need a $20k motor, harness, power steering & AC compressor, some sort of fly by wire accelerator pedal, and a bunch of relocation pieces, and a new kmember.
think this is doable with about $40k? also 8000 RPMS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvbBXqHZDME

kalvick fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 18, 2019

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Their audio setup is complete garbage. I bet that thing sounds hella rad in person (I love the sound of high-revving V8s) but it sounds like washed out, garbled poo poo in the video.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Mustang's European Adventures Part 69.

Chapter: Where Mustangs really should not go.

Ortisei-Saint Ulrich, Süd-Tirol, Italy.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 23, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Track mode sounds just lovely. Still kind of hard to believe its a factory exhaust. https://streamable.com/q6j3c

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

opengl128 posted:

Track mode sounds just lovely. Still kind of hard to believe its a factory exhaust. https://streamable.com/q6j3c

Throw an Xpipe or Hpipe on :hehe:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

No way! I love being able to switch to quiet mode and sound like a Camry when I want to

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Bought new reproduction headlights for my 01 Bullitt. They seem to fit great except the part that attaches them to the car doesn't go in far enough to attach, so now they're back in the box and I'm sad.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

thebigcow posted:

Bought new reproduction headlights for my 01 Bullitt. They seem to fit great except the part that attaches them to the car doesn't go in far enough to attach, so now they're back in the box and I'm sad.
From where, what brand?

Ya sure ya dont just gotta shove it in a lil bit more? Maybe use your knee a lil bit for leverage? Ya sure you shouldnt have to but if its just some cheap ebay china reproduction you might have to. (Also theyre not always 100% sealed ask how I know)

e: buy these lol

ACCENT STRIPPPPPP like our car aint 20 years old

Cage fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 8, 2020

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Cage posted:

From where, what brand?

Ya sure ya dont just gotta shove it in a lil bit more? Maybe use your knee a lil bit for leverage? Ya sure you shouldnt have to but if its just some cheap ebay china reproduction you might have to. (Also theyre not always 100% sealed ask how I know)

e: buy these lol

ACCENT STRIPPPPPP like our car aint 20 years old

American Muscle. I got my reproduction gas door from them when the original had too many winters and thought I'd give them another go. Waiting for an answer on what they're going to do for me.

They just don't fit. They look great, but are off just enough in a couple spots to make them useless. Or I get metal cable ties and live on the edge.

Probably going to end up getting the 3M resurfacing kit again and re-doing my originals now that I have a garage to work in and a good drill.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Has any resurfacing kit ever actually worked?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Vahakyla posted:

Has any resurfacing kit ever actually worked?

I used the same kit from 3M on my Subaru Legacy and it worked great. That car had squarer, flatter headlights and I had a drill that didn't suck to power it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
They sent replacements which also don't fit.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Anyone else with a 2018+2020 GT have the 2k rattle sound? I'm starting to think I got a lemon. I have the 2-3k rpm rattle when on light throttle and the high RPM shift grind. The dealership near me (only one) is atrocious and they sell more trucks in a week than GTs for the past 5 years. Don't really trust them to fix it. Not sure if I should just "send it" like the forums Bros suggest or what lol.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have it, they pretty much all have it. At first dealers were just swapping engines but now Ford says it's normal. Most speculate it's related to the new direct injection.

It bothered me at first but its so widespread, meh, send it indeed.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

opengl128 posted:

I have it, they pretty much all have it. At first dealers were just swapping engines but now Ford says it's normal. Most speculate it's related to the new direct injection.

It bothered me at first but its so widespread, meh, send it indeed.

Do you have the 2-3k rattle or just the idle "tick"? The BBQ tick is definitely just noisy direct injection pump but the rattle I'm not so sure of. It almost sounds like the spot in between when the VCT changes cam or something or it could be the DI pump clacking at the right freq to sound like that. Who knows I guess that's what 60k mile power train warranty is for.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Definitely the rattle, I’ve heard the BBQ tick a few times but not super often. And I don’t think the BBQ tick is the DI pump because pre 18 cars have it too.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a set of SVE SP2 wheels (PP2 replica):

Went with graphite, I feel like it'll go with Kona Blue a little better than the bronze ones. Will also be moving over my OEM center caps. Doing 19x10 square, 285/35/19 tires. It'll be great being able to rotate them, and a square setup is supposed to eliminate (or greatly reduce) the understeer you get with the factory staggered setup.

New wheels will also be almost 10lbs lighter per corner than my PP1 wheels which is a huge amount of unsprung weight, so that'll be nice too.

Going to see how it sits on the 35 series tires then decide if the gap is too much for me. There's a few options for lowering springs that'll drop an inch or less which would be ideal, I have a pretty steep entrance to my driveway so I can't give up too much clearance.

e: and the most important part, being able to clean them without driving myself mad with tiny spokes!

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 16, 2020

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?

BrownieVK posted:

Anyone else with a 2018+2020 GT have the 2k rattle sound? I'm starting to think I got a lemon. I have the 2-3k rpm rattle when on light throttle and the high RPM shift grind. The dealership near me (only one) is atrocious and they sell more trucks in a week than GTs for the past 5 years. Don't really trust them to fix it. Not sure if I should just "send it" like the forums Bros suggest or what lol.

Any clue where the rattle could be coming from?

Mine had a rattle in the shifter assembly where a spring (I think attached to the reverse lockout collar) resonates against the shaft at specific RPM ranges. The sound it makes sucks, and sounds like it could be coming from anywhere in the car.

This guy explains it on a gt350 but i have no reason to believe it should be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJK_5vf0J0

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

AxisofIdiocy posted:

Any clue where the rattle could be coming from?

Mine had a rattle in the shifter assembly where a spring (I think attached to the reverse lockout collar) resonates against the shaft at specific RPM ranges. The sound it makes sucks, and sounds like it could be coming from anywhere in the car.

This guy explains it on a gt350 but i have no reason to believe it should be different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJK_5vf0J0

Thanks for the information, unfortunately I don't think it's as simple as the shifter. I'm not even sure what parts the GT350 and GTs manuals share since the GT has a MT82. I've got a few different noises going on. One is the 2-3k rattle at light throttle that is 100% engine, the other is general clutch clunkiness when engaging at speeds and the last one is the high rpm 5000+ ratcheting shifter sound when shifting.
It's embarrassing it sounds like I'm driving a clapped out Chevy pickup with lifters getting ready to explode or something. All of the dealerships around me are garbage and I don't have infinite time to take it to multiple places. I'm going to just pick one and hope they don't mess with my car too much. If they say it's normal then gently caress it send it guess?

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?
yeah that sounds more severe than the trim fit i posted.

BrownieVK posted:

One is the 2-3k rattle at light throttle that is 100% engine, the other is general clutch clunkiness when engaging at speeds and the last one is the high rpm 5000+ ratcheting shifter sound when shifting.

No idea what the engine rattle is. Hopefully it's something simple like heat shield plates coming loose.

By ratcheting sound, do you mean like a gear grinding sound? That with the clutch clunkiness makes me think the clutch isnt releasing all the way when you put the pedal to the floor. I'd check the clutch master cylinder fluid and probably try bleeding the clutch to make sure there isn't any air in the system.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ford Performance finally released their tune for 2018+ cars. Only around 20hp/20tq gains at peak, but 42 ft/lbs at 2000rpm which would be great for everyday driving. Initial reviews are very positive, but its a fair amount of cash at about $1k. Still tempted though. Kinda wish they sold the tune by itself and not with the intake and throttle body which apparently are barely an improvement over stock.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-9603-m8b.html

For about the same amount of money I'd probably go with the 4.09 gears I've been eyeing.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Yeah, I don't really want the hard parts--I wonder if the tune alone would work with stock intake & TB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've decided to buy another Mustang...

I had two Fox-body 5.0's, one with a Vortech. I also had a 2002 GT, and my mother has a 95 GT. I also had a couple thirdgens and 4th gen f-bodies, everything from carb'd 305's to TPI to LS1/LT1...As well as a G8, GTO, a handful of DSM's...

But anyway, I think I've settled on a Mustang. I'm not 100% sure on which one, though. It'll probably come down to whatever is available. Looking for some thoughts or suggestions.

My budget is roughly $7-8,000. This will only be driven in the summer, and would prefer to get a car that hasn't been driven year-round in the great white north (I am in Michigan). I would prefer a 5-speed, but wouldn't let an automatic stop me if it were the right car. For the right price I wouldn't mind something that needs a little bit of work as long as it's mechanical and not paint/bodywork. Part of the reason to buy this is something to monkey with in the garage. I would also prefer blue, black, red, or gray.

Plans for the car would include gears/exhaust if it didn't have them already, and then a blower in the next 3-4 years (and then a shortblock, transmission and everything else sometime after that). I want to buy something in the next couple weeks. I don't see a whole lot for sale, not sure if it's because of Corona or what. And these cars are in this weird spot where I could have sworn they were all way cheaper a few years ago, when they were just 'older' instead of 20+ years old and everyone thinks they have a classic or something. I mean I think I paid $10,500 for my 2002 GT back in like....2005?? People want that much for them now!

I have seen a couple 2005 GT's at the top of my price range. They are supposedly miles ahead of the previous cars in ride, overall quality and handling. I have not been in one, however.

Mach 1's are definitely out of my price range would but would love one.

Next up would be a New Edge Cobra. I really like the styling. I know stock for stock they aren't that much faster than the GT of the same year. But they look better plus you have the 4v, for better or for worse.

I haven't really seen any Bullitts for sale bu I'd give one the nod over a regular GT, of course. Always liked the looks of them.

New Edge GT. I'm having trouble finding one that isn't either beat to poo poo or has been garaged and they want like $14k for it. I'm a little leery of going with a SOHC 4.6, owned one and it just wasn't really impressive (didn't help that I owned an LS1 at the time these were new).

SN95 Cobra? I guess maybe for a 5.0. I found a 1996 with the 4v locally with 38k on it for $7500 but just missed out on it. Not as big on the 94-98 styling, though.

I don't really see myself buying a 96-98 4.6 GT unless it was dirt cheap like $4,000 and super-clean. Low performance, stock, and then the bodystyle isn't quite what I'm after.

Any Rousch or Saleen model I've seen used automatically wants another $5,000 on top of what the regular version of the same car would cost. Some of them look pretty good though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I mean, I think you've already addressed this (paint / bodywork), but there's always that one weird chance ...

If you want a New Edge GT that isn't a fukkin' 4.6, I'm looking to part ways with mine in the near future. I'm not in a huge rush to do it, but I'd sell it tomorrow in the right circumstances.

The good stuff: It's a 2000 Mustang GT with a 5.4L swap - runs well and has been totally reliable for the last ~25k since I did the swap (swap happened at 132k, I believe it's got 154k now). Other mods; it's got Magnaflow mufflers in the original H-pipes, Bilstein shocks, a Fidanza Aluminum flywheel, EBC Brake Pads and PowerStop rotors, Energy Suspension transmission mount, and a Double-DIN Pioneer stereo with Carplay and a backup camera. The windows are tinted (professionally done, 3M, 20%), and if for some reason you care, it has a full rear LATCH setup (the top mounts came with the car, I added the lowers.) I'd definitely don't expect to get $10.5 for it, and would happily sell within your budget.

In terms of performance, I've always been very happy with this car. My joking, not at all well-researched (but generally holds true) quote on this is that if you didn't spend ~$65k or more on a newer car, you're not going to outrun this thing.

The bad stuff: The driver seat is pretty ugly, and the body isn't perfect. If you're interested at all, I'll absolutely look for / take photos, but the passenger side has some old (pre-my ownership) keying damage, the driver side and rear bumper have brand new paint, and ... well, the rest doesn't. I'd definitely think about repainting it if I were going to keep it. I have a four year old who is quickly outgrowing the space in the back, and now we have a dog, too, so a CUV/SUV is in my future.

A couple of photos which don't cover ANY of what I discussed above:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 16, 2020

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krakkles posted:

In terms of performance, I've always been very happy with this car. My joking, not at all well-researched (but generally holds true) quote on this is that if you didn't spend ~$65k or more on a newer car, you're not going to outrun this thing.
I dunno what this means because you can buy a charger rt for 30k any day and v6 engines are just as fast as our v8s these days.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

:rolleyes:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ended up finding a clean 02 vert that I'll go pickup up this weekend. Will be something to keep in the garage and do a couple mods to here and there.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Ended up finding a clean 02 vert that I'll go pickup up this weekend. Will be something to keep in the garage and do a couple mods to here and there.
Nice! Congrats.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yaaaaaaaaaaa what color? Where are the pics??

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
I never did properly thank the goon(s) who recommended cjponyparts.com for the delete panel for teh Bullitt. Due to Santa's timing, I was unable to get the exact one recommended (was no longer available) and had to go with an alternate.
1. Thank you!
2. What's up with the cold air induction box? Sucker gloms up upon the hood with a passion when closed which, at the very least, restricts airflow.

Am I correct in this thinking? And, if I am; what can be done about this abomination that does not require a tune?

Thanking you heartily in advance!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh man SUMMER TIRES FEEL SO GOOD YAAYAYAYAY

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cage posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaa what color? Where are the pics??

Silver, stock except for some American Racing wheels and Flowmasters. Flew to Chicago and picked it up and then drove it back home from 'almost loving Wisconsin' to Michigan (5-1/2 hour drive). Made it to Indiana before I had to pull the gently caress over and put the top back up because torrential downpour. Also it drones bad at about 80-82mph.

I have a double-din Sony radio coming for it so I can have carplay (and a little more power), stuck a tri-ax in it on Sunday. Going to order some SFC's and 4.10's.

Here she is borrowing the plate from my Grand Cherokee since our Secretary of State offices aren't open.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does nobody carry speedcals for the New Edge cars? They are discontinued at LMR and American Muscle. I really don't want to buy a loving $399 SCT to change speedo calibration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Local automotive repair place also owns a 4x4 shop so I figured they would be a good place to get a quote from on a 4.10 gear install and weld-in subframe connectors....$1150 for the gears + install and $675 for the SFC's + install.

:getout:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone have an issue with one of their three tail light bulbs not lighting up? About a week ago my inside passenger tail light stopped lighting up. Replacing it with a new/known working bulb doesn't fix it. Haven't touched the lights in a year, the wiring looks okay. Its a plug and play sequential kit I bought used on craigslist, presumably from american muscle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
If it's one of the blades then you probably have a bad sequencer kit. The only other failure I see with taillights is when you use lovely switchbacks on the front turn signals the rear light goes out completely.