Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The T-Virus has had a colorful history throughout the series and is rarely consistent.

In general, you get infected via getting bitten by an infectee, and the infection proceeds to slowly kill you; there are also examples of it being transmitted aerially, like on Rockfort Island in CV.

The figure given in Wesker's Report II back in the day is that roughly 10% of the human population are just flat-out immune to the T-Virus due to lucky genetics.

There's kind of a basis in-game for a theory that you can build partial immunity/resistance to the T-Virus pretty quickly through exposure (Jill's series-long arc, Yoko in Outbreak), as well as the virus being vastly slowed in healthier subjects (Kevin is a hot mess in Outbreak and has the fastest virus gauge; all the people we've ever seen who got bit, then succumbed quickly were also heavily wounded or visibly unhealthy or both).

Neo Rasa posted:

If I'm remembering the Wesker report stuff correctly, I don't think the zombies in the mansion in RE1 were even infected "naturally" but were all intentionally infected by Wesker/etc. to see how they'd perform against S.T.A.R.S. Each zombie is technically a failure at creating a Tyrant but I guess they figured they'd roll with it. But they don't count on the virus evolving or getting their work getting out of the mansion/NEST proper or the virus evolving fast enough to spread throughout the city more quickly.

It's one of those things where they never explicitly said what happened, but basically, James Marcus came back from the dead and infected everyone. It wasn't actually a containment breach. The last two guys who didn't succumb to the virus opted to shoot themselves about three weeks afterward. Wesker exploited the situation to amp up his asking price for the research, but didn't create it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wanderer posted:

It's one of those things where they never explicitly said what happened, but basically, James Marcus came back from the dead and infected everyone. It wasn't actually a containment breach. The last two guys who didn't succumb to the virus opted to shoot themselves about three weeks afterward. Wesker exploited the situation to amp up his asking price for the research, but didn't create it.

Yeah now it's starting to come back to me.

Speaking of which, was the company Wesker was going to sell to ever named?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Also, don't know how many people notice this, but in the Demo, Jill actually starts with a File in her inventory where she muses about her apparent immunity possibly just being an extended incubation period.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, was the company Wesker was going to sell to ever named?

No, although given later events, you could probably just assume it was Tricell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DanielCross posted:

Also, don't know how many people notice this, but in the Demo, Jill actually starts with a File in her inventory where she muses about her apparent immunity possibly just being an extended incubation period.

LOL I didn't notice this at all and it basically answers what we were all discussing.

Interesting, the way it's worded seems like the crows in RE1 are just plain old regular crows and can carry the T-virus but don't mutate

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I finished the demo and from what I can guess, some people didn't go back to the train and find out that Carlos is clearing the tracks of rubble. Jill also has a strong knife attack that also doubles as a retreat.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i really disliked the whole james marcus causing the outbreak in the mansion for revenge retcon

why couldnt it have just stayed some overworked jackasses loving up, y'know, like most industrial accidents

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

0 rows returned posted:

i really disliked the whole james marcus causing the outbreak in the mansion for revenge retcon

why couldnt it have just stayed some overworked jackasses loving up, y'know, like most industrial accidents

Yeah, I way prefer 'we just hosed up because we're working with a crazy virus under dumb conditions in an evil mansion.'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, I way prefer 'we just hosed up because we're working with a crazy Biohazard under dumb conditions in an RESIDENT, EEEVIL mansion.'

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

0 rows returned posted:

That's exactly what happened because RE0 is a glorified fanfic and nothing more than a weird stress dream Rebecca had while hiding away in the mansion.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Wasn't RE0 only possible becuase W and W left Marcus's old experimental t-virus infected leeches just sitting at the crime scene next to the body?

That still probably qualifies as jackasses loving up, even if it did take an oddly long time to bite them on the rear end.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Neo Rasa posted:

LOL I didn't notice this at all and it basically answers what we were all discussing.

Interesting, the way it's worded seems like the crows in RE1 are just plain old regular crows and can carry the T-virus but don't mutate

Yeah the RE1 crows just become super aggressive / territorial. The T-virus has various effects on animal life, some get zombified like humans, some just become aggressive and some get really really big. I think RE1 has normal sized snakes as well as the Yawn.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

It sure does, they all fall on you at the pool you drain and then climb back up while you're away to fall on you again

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was the one fun thing I remember about Wesker Report (well, besides the very spooky art work), Wesker figuring out that the virus could spread to animals, that they were next to a forest and going "You did this poo poo on purpose, didn't you"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

It sure does, they all fall on you at the pool you drain and then climb back up while you're away to fall on you again

gently caress that part lol

Resident Evil series in general just fuckin' rules

DeathChicken posted:

That was the one fun thing I remember about Wesker Report (well, besides the very spooky art work), Wesker figuring out that the virus could spread to animals, that they were next to a forest and going "You did this poo poo on purpose, didn't you"

I'm hoping Resistance has something akin to the zoo section from the Outbreak series because that owned

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Resident evil does have the most accurate representation of a Corp in any media.

If something you do fails just pretend it didn’t happen and try again but harder

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Resident evil does have the most accurate representation of a Corp in any media.

If something you do fails just pretend it didn’t happen and try again but harder

And also all the guys at the top are whiny aristocrats who think they're the masters of the universe and are super into eugenics.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Does the government ever bail Umbrella out though? Definitely have to have the "Do stupid poo poo, have the taxpayers pay for it" part for a realistic representation of Late Stage Capitalism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The entire Raccoon City government is eager to do and cover up whatever Umbrella wants because they're job creators, does that count.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I don't think any government on the planet could bail out a gently caress-up so big, it caused Midwestern town to get nuked.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Night10194 posted:

And also all the guys at the top are whiny aristocrats who think they're the masters of the universe and are super into eugenics.

I always liked the deranged ultra rich modern nobility aspect of the series because of how much the original RE takes from video nasty-caliber exploitation flicks like Anthropophagus/etc. that would emphasize bizarre family secrets/etc.

Also in true accuracy to corporations irl, Wesker's sense of American exceptionalism thinks he's more down to earth than folks like the Ashfords and Morpheuses and Sergeis of the game's setting and that all this other stuff going on doesn't actually effect him at all, but of course he's exactly the same in reality.

But I just like how that bit of one of the series' trashier inspirations has stayed with it to the present.

DanielCross posted:

I don't think any government on the planet could bail out a gently caress-up so big, it caused Midwestern town to get nuked.

Baby steps...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/deadly-west-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion-was-criminal-act-feds-n572231

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/explos...mergency-today/

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Wanderer posted:

It's one of those things where they never explicitly said what happened, but basically, James Marcus came back from the dead and infected everyone. It wasn't actually a containment breach.

I had the extraordinary misfortune of playing back through RE0 just a few weeks ago for the first time since launch, and I didn't remember this at the time, but there's actually a cutscene in the training facility where Marcus just straight-up says "It was I who released the T-Virus in the mansion" into the camera.

I'm not sure why he outright confessed to it, as he was in an empty room and presumably had no way of knowing that Wesker and Birkin were watching him through the security cameras, but I guess Capcom really felt they had to specify that detail.

edit: Just to get it out here, you guys were probably aware of this already, but RE0 loving sucks. I have very low standards and enjoy almost all of the RE games greatly (some more than others), but there were a few points through that replay of 0 where I was like "do I really want to keep playing this".

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 24, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DanielCross posted:

there is no such thing as a corporate bailout too big for america

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

At least the train section in RE0 is good.

Honestly I wish a new RE game would rip that off again instead of another cruise ship. Go full Snowpiercer even.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For one game I'd like it if they mixed things up and started you in a lab locked down due to contamination procedures, then you have to escape by solving dumb chess piece puzzles or something. Then you get to the fake factory they built to disguise the labs, escape through the sewers and have a final battle with hordes of zombies in the city streets. A bit like 4th Survivor but a proper game version of it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Convex posted:

For one game I'd like it if they mixed things up and started you in a lab locked down due to contamination procedures, then you have to escape by solving dumb chess piece puzzles or something. Then you get to the fake factory they built to disguise the labs, escape through the sewers and have a final battle with hordes of zombies in the city streets. A bit like 4th Survivor but a proper game version of it.

They kinda sorta went in this direction with the first two RE movies.

I kind of wish Cavia was still a thing because that or an RE game built around a train would be perfect Gun Survivor material. For a mostly shooting stuff game it makes a more natural flow of isolated lab -> more open factory -> oh poo poo the city streets are filled with BOWs everywhere.

Man, Cavia <3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I hope there's at least SOME boat segment action in RE8 of course though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Honestly I wish a new RE game would rip that off again instead of another cruise ship. Go full Snowpiercer even.

but we need to pay homage to that instant RE Classic

Dead Aim

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dead Aim was actually fun as heck if you had the guncon, which I had bought to cut down on how much I played Time Crisis in the arcade when I was a freshman in college.

Dead Aim was also amazingly, wonderfully stupid.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MH Knights posted:

Does the government ever bail Umbrella out though? Definitely have to have the "Do stupid poo poo, have the taxpayers pay for it" part for a realistic representation of Late Stage Capitalism.
Umbrella's problem was that it undermined the US military-industrial complex through sheer incompetence, and then openly pushed the claim that the US government was an active participant in Umbrella's covert research. A claim which probably also implicated a bunch of powerful and rich people with vastly more combined power than Umbrella. Umbrella had to go down and be made a scapegoat so everyone else could pretend they had clean hands, while probably making loads of money getting access to Umbrella research for pennies on the dollar.

Umbrella is basically Jeffrey Epstein in this scenario. Doesn't matter if you're rich and powerful if the richer and more powerful decide you've become a liability.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The games also make a point of showing at various times, particularly in RE3 and both Outbreaks, that Umbrella may just be a legal front for the viral experiments, but that legal front is an international juggernaut that makes most of the drugs and cosmetics that you'd find in an average person's house.

It's not just that it was rich, but that its fall probably had a short-term impact on getting basic staples worldwide.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As someone else said: The irony of Umbrella is that a real-world company that produced something like First Aid Spray would make infinite money. Just Umbrella doesn't give a poo poo about money, Umbrella is entirely the fever-dream of eugenicist aristocrat idiots. The absolute commitment to 'these racist eugenicist pricks are monsters' is one of my favorite weird details about this dumb action-horror series.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Night10194 posted:

Dead Aim was actually fun as heck if you had the guncon, which I had bought to cut down on how much I played Time Crisis in the arcade when I was a freshman in college.

Dead Aim was also amazingly, wonderfully stupid.

If you don't have a Guncon, the shooting apparently works incredibly well with a standard USB mouse. If the pad is giving you issues, y'know.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Night10194 posted:

As someone else said: The irony of Umbrella is that a real-world company that produced something like First Aid Spray would make infinite money. Just Umbrella doesn't give a poo poo about money, Umbrella is entirely the fever-dream of eugenicist aristocrat idiots. The absolute commitment to 'these racist eugenicist pricks are monsters' is one of my favorite weird details about this dumb action-horror series.

When I was a teen I laughed because of how cartoony Umbrella was.

As an adult I’ve realized nah that’s just how they act

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Did Gun Survivor 2: Code Veronica ever actually get ported to anything or was it just arcade only? It's the only one in the series I never played myself. But they retread it in a cool way in Darkside Chronicles.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was ported to PS2 but only released in Japan and Europe.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Night10194 posted:

The novelizations doubled down on this, and built the entire thing around the typical "Big Pharma" conspiracy bullshit. That version's T-Virus was originally a super cure that the execs didn't want, because Curing A Disease Is Bad For Profit. So they assassinated the inventor and turned the work over to Birkin to develop as a weapon.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Gnoman posted:

Jill's handgun in the demo is a Glock, not the iconic Beretta/"Samurai Edge". This is petty since they're functionally the same, but it just feels wrong.

I just got around playing the demo. This feels wrong using a Glock. Nothing wrong with a Glock in general but I always remembered the iconic Beretta in lore.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

One of the reasons that it annoys me is that the Glock is too good to be a "starter weapon" like Claire's little revolver in RE2make. If she starts with it in the full game, there's little reason to find the Beretta in the RPD or something and switch to it.

A Glock makes a lot of sense, especially if we want to assume it is her personal property instead of RPD issue. It just feels out of place in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'm going to be mildly upset if Jill doesn't have her Samurai Edge. Dunno why CAPCOM lets that particular carrot rot. I think I'd be annoyed if it was an unlock weapon like last game, or some weird pre-order bonus. She should have it on principle.