Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Depending on how big they get, they can get really thirsty. Last year I was doing 4-8 gallons a day from my rain barrel/recycled water when it was hot in July and August. I did get a decent harvest of the fuggles, but if I’d gone with Cascade, Centennial, CTZ, or Chinook they are hearty plants and deal with less ideal growing better. If you go with something like that you could probably manage them in buckets ok, but you’ll still need a place for them to grow big. Not all hops are easy growers, but a lot of them can be and will adapt. Really comes down to what you’re planting.

If they’re free I’d still take them, if they’re not, I’d just get starts next year. Some places are selling 1st year plants now, so that cuts down on the 3 years to good harvest and you’d have good bines the first year and good harvest the second if you keep up with nutrition needs. Yearly compost has worked for me on that end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Basil seeds have started sprouting, hell yeah!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

At what point do you start panicking and plant another batch of seeds? None of my chili seeds have come up and it has been two weeks since planting

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Chili seeds are notoriously slow. Do you have them on a heat mat?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mischief posted:

Chili seeds are notoriously slow. Do you have them on a heat mat?

Yeah, even on a mat in a hot bed with a germination dome, mine took 3ish weeks to sprout.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I planted these dang chives on 3-07 and they still haven't sprouted.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

I planted these dang chives on 3-07 and they still haven't sprouted.

You can have the ones in my flower bed that shouldn't be there. They came up in the fake spring we had and I didn't even have them get to flowering this last year, because I kept up with using and trimming them. Now they're growing and I don't really want to go dig them all out.

Chives are delicious, but I hate them.

My bunching onions took forever to germinate last year too, and I definitely started them late.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jhet posted:

You can have the ones in my flower bed that shouldn't be there. They came up in the fake spring we had and I didn't even have them get to flowering this last year, because I kept up with using and trimming them. Now they're growing and I don't really want to go dig them all out.

Chives are delicious, but I hate them.

My bunching onions took forever to germinate last year too, and I definitely started them late.

These are the world's most applied chives. They live inside right now in nice little pots, kept at 73 degrees, next to the lamp. The radishes are my champion children and growing like mad.

Fortunately there's tons of onion grass growing wilds, I just harvest that and my green onion.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 24, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve never had regular chives run rampant (I wish they would!) but my garlic chives tried to take over my herb garden last year and I had to confine them to a pot. I dug up an entire wheelbarrow full of loving garlic chives. They have kind of boring white flowers too. The skinny chives have super pretty purple flowers, but don’t seem to be quite as happy here :(

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Aaggghh I wanna put everything outside and make room but it's forecasted for freezing temps Sunday-Monday

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have a fence line that is nothing but garlic chives. There’s no chance that I will dig those out unless I really need a back workout. I’d rather have the garlic than the ivy that would probably come back from the dead.

I did put radish seeds out this week, but I’ll wait another week or so before putting any greens out.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think I'm gonna put out my tomatos next week/end and sow some pole beans, basil, radishes, marigolds, zinnias etc. Hopefully we'll get a good rain before then to settle in the dirt in my new garden.

I potted up my tomato transplants into 1 gallon pots full of miracle gro last weekend and they have already about doubled in size! I potted up some eggplants too, but they'll probably be happier in nice warm black plastic pots until the ground warms a little more, though it is supposed to be around 80 the next few days.

How much space do butternut squash/pumpkins really need? Can anyone tell me how floating row covers work and how to use them? They are apparently the only real defense against squash vine borers here.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think I'm gonna put out my tomatos next week/end and sow some pole beans, basil, radishes, marigolds, zinnias etc. Hopefully we'll get a good rain before then to settle in the dirt in my new garden.

I potted up my tomato transplants into 1 gallon pots full of miracle gro last weekend and they have already about doubled in size! I potted up some eggplants too, but they'll probably be happier in nice warm black plastic pots until the ground warms a little more, though it is supposed to be around 80 the next few days.

How much space do butternut squash/pumpkins really need? Can anyone tell me how floating row covers work and how to use them? They are apparently the only real defense against squash vine borers here.

Those squash/pumpkins tend to need quite a lot of space. For the row covers, it's essentially a permeable cloth that you put up on a frame to float over your crop. It lets in water, air, and sunlight and keeps in a little extra heat, but keeps out the bugs. Same concept as mosquito netting. You can do hoops or square frames, but I mostly see hoops on some sort of pvc material. You can leave it on basically the whole year, but you'll want to keep an eye on just how hot and wet it gets inside because of your location. If you can make sure the air keeps flowing you shouldn't have any issues.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Once again I appear to be overwatering a bit with my seed starters.

I'm bottom watering and usually water just enough that there is no water left behind in the tray. But I am getting what appears to be a very small amount of surface white mold on the soil. Is that a huge concern or can I just dig it into the dirt or ignore it and have my plants still be fine?

Took about a week for my pepper seeds to sprout, tomatoes are a good bit ahead of them. Unfortunately jalapenos have not come up at all yet. Might give them another couple of days before I try again with more seeds.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
A week for pepper seeds is pretty fast. Jalapeńo will take 2-3 weeks. The white mold sounds like you’re getting too much moisture stuck in the setup, so poke holes in the plastic or open a vent or something. The white stuff isn’t always an issue in growing plants, but it might be if your seeds have rotted and molded without sprouting. Definitely water a bit less.

If you want to make sure your pepper seeds sprout, take a paper towel get it wet, fold your seeds in, place into a plastic bag, close it and leave in a warm spot. In 4-8 days you’ll see the little sprout and can put them into your seed tray with the soil. I’ve done this with more stubborn seeds and seeds for hydroponics, so it should hopefully work for you.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Zenithe posted:

Just started planting some herbs in pots for use in the kitchen, got some basil, thyme and mustard plants.

Just a quick question about the mustard, it says to keep it in the dark until it sprouts, is that right? I have zero experience in gardening.

You're safest to keep them in the dark. A lot of seeds don't care but the ones that do won't work well at all in the light.

Having said that, I have a tray of brassicas including chinese mustard sprouting next to one of the grow lights. The only problems I've run into so far have been onions and lemongrass. Just throwing a towel over the sprouting tray increased the germination rate of the onions significantly. Lemongrass did not sprout at all until I put the seeds in a tray with a painted dome and buried it in the back of the hot water tank closet. Excessive perhaps, but I was getting frustrated.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I planted 8 spice-grade mustard seeds 3 days ago and got 100% germination!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Had really good germination on everything so far, except for loving ground cherries. The seeds are really small, so I'm thinking I might have washed them out maybe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah this has been a pretty good year for germination. From last year's seeds i got 6 of 8 Carolina Reapers and 7 of 8 Amish Paste tomatoes, all of which makes me happy.

I'm debating if/when to throw a little bit of balanced plant food on my pepper and tomato seedlings. I want them to be fairly far along when I put them outside (zone 3 border of a/b, so a while) and I'm likely to give them a transplant at some point, likely when the marigolds and zinnias start getting put out there.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 26, 2020

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Current hotbed/lawn elimination status:

Zone 8b here, so I've been opening the doors and turning off the heater during the day to harden things off, but it might be shocking the peppers, not sure yet. The white on the tomato/dahlia leaves hasn't been spreading and I suspect it has more to do with the fact that those plants were transplanted on a day when it was 39 degrees and windy.

1 tray of heirloom tomatoes - Growing like weeds, transplanted into 4" pots already.
1 tray half Banana Pepper, half Habenaro - good germination, the former seedlings are doing a lot better than the latter.
1 tray half Sweet Basil, half Dark Opal basil - doing insanely well.
3 trays of Dahlias - 1 tray was too wet, got maybe 25% germination, other two trays at 80%+ germination, half transplanted into pots. Will be planted with the Glob Amaranth and Celosia.
1 tray Black Eyed Susan (Sahara) - coming along well
1 tray Globe Amaranth - coming along well
1 tray California Poppies (Thai Silk Appleblossom - this was dumb, mostly dead from an hour or so at 95 degrees, I'll be direct sowing these later with the cosmos.
1 tray Celosia - Amazing, may have to transplant into pots.
1 tray Cosmos (Apricot Lemonade), Black Eyed Susan Vines (Blushing and Sunset) doing quite well, may transplant the vines in particular.

I'm almost done filling up some raised beds for veggies, I have lettuce, carrots, sugar snap peas and bunching onions. Later on in the season I'm looking to have some gourds, corn, purple (green) beans and if I can get the bed dug, pumpkins. I figured out the kit I was using could make more boxes than I originally anticipated, so I may stick some flowers in one or two, we'll see.

Japanese maples and bare-root fruit trees are starting to leaf out with the exception of the peach. It's a later, cold-adapted variety so I'm not worried. One bed of sunflowers is prepped and planted (Evening Sun), two more beds are almost done (Autumn Beauty and Velvet Queen).

poo poo, sorry this was so long and it's not entirely edible. This gardening poo poo has been really good for my ADHD.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Picked up compost in bulk, about two cubic yards, made raised beds with it. Bought cattle panel from Tractor Supply and dog proofed my new garden!

So far I've planted, zucchini, pumpkins, beets, carrots, and green beans.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SA Forums Poster posted:

Picked up compost in bulk, about two cubic yards, made raised beds with it. Bought cattle panel from Tractor Supply and dog proofed my new garden!

I bet your zucchini and pumpkins could take all that space

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

SA Forums Poster posted:

Nice of you to fence the snake in too, adds some extra excitement to weeding

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I bet your zucchini and pumpkins could take all that space

I planted the pumpkins on the hillside to the left, but yeah, I used half a packet of zucchini seeds in that first bed to the left. An hour later I was thinking, oh poo poo, that was way too many, at least 12 seeds. I'm going to have zucchini for breakfast lunch and dinner.

CancerCakes posted:

Nice of you to fence the snake in too, adds some extra excitement to weeding

I've learned my lesson after going through 4 rubber garden hoses with my large breed dog. I now only buy metal garden hoses.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

SA Forums Poster posted:

I planted the pumpkins on the hillside to the left, but yeah, I used half a packet of zucchini seeds in that first bed to the left. An hour later I was thinking, oh poo poo, that was way too many, at least 12 seeds. I'm going to have zucchini for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Oh dear.

We buy most of our squash starts from the nursery and check that there's only one plant in each pot. Some years one is too many.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SA Forums Poster posted:

Dont worry about anything soon you will be one with the Zukes. Its gonna be a party!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Always be making zucchini bread.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

bengy81 posted:

Always be making zucchini bread.

If the squash vine borers don’t get ‘em :negative:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I think adding some vertical support for the zucchini will go a long way for containing them

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any thoughts on using rubbery straps (3d printed TPU) to bind tomato vines to stakes?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So it's my first year really trying to get seeds started properly in my basement. Am I going tot totally fail to have my tomatoes and peppers germinate if it's around 66-68°F down there? I don't have a heat mat handy.

I also just got around to starting the seeds today as well, so I am way behind the curve for the season. Eastern PA for reference.

We did a few seeds last year, tomatoes included, and they sprouted, but they were under a hotter halogen light. They were no also really spindly, but eventually took off and were over 7' by the end of the season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
A lot of peppers and tomatoes will prefer 70 or more, but you’re close enough that if you cover the seed tray while it’s germinating it should be fine. Once they’ve sprouted, they’ll grow just fine provided they get water and light.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Jhet posted:

A lot of peppers and tomatoes will prefer 70 or more, but you’re close enough that if you cover the seed tray while it’s germinating it should be fine. Once they’ve sprouted, they’ll grow just fine provided they get water and light.

This, slow start, but you'll be fine

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
For the compost beds, keep an eye on your seedlings as straight compost can be a little hot for some plants. You can also absolutely train zucchini vertically. It won't run up a string or anything but if you put up a tall frame with Tenax or the like it will definitely grow up against it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey garden thread.

This is going to be my first summer doing a garden mostly solo, previously I was just the "gopher" with my ex's garden, she did all the planning, I just dug where she told, pruned what she pruned ,etc...

I've got a few years of working with her, plus I've been reading and looking at videos. I'm in northern VT, so zone...4 maybe 5, since I am right next to Lake Champlain, and I've seen some maps say that little strip is a 5. I'm hoping I can manage to grow at least some of the easy stuff (radishes, beans, peas, carrots, etc...) but I also want to try peppers and tomatoes, since, IMO, those are the vegetables that tend to have the biggest disparity in taste between garden fresh vs store bought.

I'm starting my peppers and tomatoes indoors today or tomorrow (depends on if the grow light comes in today, I suspect it will be tomorrow.) i hope that's the right timing? Not too early or late?

My outdoor beds will be raised, and I want to incorporate a little bit of "hugelculture." There's a big embankment near me that a lot of people toss their yard waste down, so I have a ready access to various stages of rotting logs and branches. I plan to use 2x10's, and also dig down a bit into the lawn and maybe end up with a total of 12-13" of vertical garden space? The bottom 4-6" being the logs and branches, then filling in the gaps between them being the lower quality dirt I dug out, then on top of that a mix of compost and garden soil. That sound good?

I also wanted to try to plant some potatoes, but both a couple local garden centers and several online places I've looked all say out of stock for most kinds, but that they might come back in stock? Is that normal? Should I just wait to see if they get the varieties I want back in stock in a week or two?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

All the preppers are buying potatos. Try and get some Jerusalem artichokes instead?

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I've just planted potatoes by cutting off the eyes from potatoes I bought in the store. They seem to work pretty well.

I've had some stuff in the ground for months at this point. It never froze here this winter, so I have a tomato plant that is seriously taking over a raised bed. I have watercress and greens (mustard and gai lan) that are doing well but both the cress is probably going to start dying off in the heat. Strawberries have regrown from plants I had in a raised bed last year, but only three or four plants so I'm not expecting much. Tomatillos have re-seeded themselves, too. Beans (don't remember the variety, but shelling) are kicking rear end and peas are doing well too. Lots of herbs in pots (basil varieties, mint, shiso, chives, garlic chives, rosemary, sage and a few others), nastursium and several varieties of pepper plants that slowed to a crawl during the winter and are now growing like crazy.

Just planted okra and cucumber as well as summer savory and a few more pole beans. I'm not going to be feeding my family on this garden, but we'll be saving money on a few things. Honestly can't remember what else I've planted, but I'm forgetting a few things.

Also, made the mistake of transplanting some stinging nettle that I foraged into one of my beds, and now I have to wear gloves when I weed. Turns out I don't like stinging nettle all that much anyway, so that was unwise...

Edit: I'm in New Orleans.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

rojay posted:

I've just planted potatoes by cutting off the eyes from potatoes I bought in the store. They seem to work pretty well.

That's my current plan, since I want to grow "fancier" varieties of potato (like fingerling and purple) but all I can find online for reasonable prices are just plain ol' russets, yukon golds, etc...So I'll just buy the smallest amount I can from the store and keep them someplace dark and damp (i.e. under the sink, but in a container away from the cleaning supplies.)

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Try to keep them sort of dry, though, because in my experience (admittedly in very humid south Louisiana) potatoes can start to rot before they develop eyes. The neat thing is that each "eye" a potato starts can become its own plant. And each plant will produce multiple potatoes. Bear in mind this is only my second year growing potatoes, so your result may differ. Good luck, though, and please update here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

My seedlings are looking very spindly - has anyone got a recommendation for some led grow lights I can use for a few weeks just to boost up my toms and peppers?