Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mnoba posted:

lets talk a goon to walk in a straight line across a us state like that one guy did wales

been there done that. he made it 2 miles before his feet hurt.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Good. I'll be watching.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Zugzwang posted:

Wonder what the dipshits in charge are going to say about the inevitable prison riots once this thing starts working its way through that population.

Shoot to kill.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

people from cities all over the world have gotten the bright idea of fleeing to small backcountry towns, usually without getting tested or anything

Yeah sorry, I'm not holing up in my lovely apartment until I inevitably catch it and go die in a crowded city hospital with no supplies. Also, you can't get tested.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Danish authorities are planning to create a corps of 'untouchables' from those who have successfully defeated the virus and now have antibodies against it. They will be deployed to keep critical functions in the public sector running and to keep private businesses from shutting down entirely. That's actually kind of a cool idea.

Of course, the plan hinges on just how much immunity antibodies actually confer (e.g. some viruses are very much one-time only, while others can easily mutate and re-infect, some even taking advantage of antibodies as an infection vector). I hope I am right that I was infected very early on - partly because it means my son and wife would also have had it, and thus be at greatly reduced risk - but also because it would be awesome to be able to help my fellow humans by joining the 'Untouchables Corps'.

In other news, Danish authorities have temporarily seized control of private hospitals, adding their ventilators, masks and other equipment to the pool available when the epidemic hits for real. So far it's looking promising as to the chances of avoiding a breakdown - especially due to the thousands of volunteers with medical training (but either in retirement or left the occupation) who have offered to help out. I am cautiously optimistic that the death count will be relatively low, but the blatant disregard for social distancing among some makes me pessimistic about the extent of spread - which in turn will result in a lot of people with permanent respiratory damage. I hope the government steps up enforcement of social distancing soon.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

No tax cuts or obvious subsidies to the private sector, how is this supposed to work ??

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

No tax cuts or obvious subsidies to the private sector, how is this supposed to work ??

There is a massive subsidy plan for the private sector in place. Large business will have extended credit lines. Small business will receive direct compensation with no requirement to pay back. Severely hit businesses (restaurants, bars, hairdressers, etc.) will have 100% of fixed (non-salary) expenses paid by the government. In return businesses may not fire employees. They can also get 75% reimbursement for employee pay, but only if they send them on leave (at home). Banks will be given permission to (mostly) disregard credit ratings and allow customers to skip payments.

The subsidy plan has the backing of all parties from the far left to the far right (and we have both extremes represented in parliament to a far greater degree than say the UK or US). Everyone is going "gently caress ideology, this is about people's livelihood and actual lives".

PederP fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 24, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXhR_RAiug

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1242482103457062913

lmao

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If I see someone's dog take a poop on my yard and they refuse to pick it up after I stick my head out the window and tell them to, can I/should I bag the poop and throw it at them? This is relevant to my quarantine situation

Only if you cough in the bag first.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Someone call the Secret Service

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Good. I'll be watching.

I'm watching it right now.

Jesus christ this man is an idiot.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What's he saying

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

tuamo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cool

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I hope the immunized public servants get a cool name and a badass badge. The Antikorps maybe ?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm watching it right now.

Jesus christ this man is an idiot.

Just to reiterate. Trump just said that closing the country is worse than the virus because people will kill themselves by the thousands.

Ugh.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

IDGI.. are the olds on a ship so they dont' die from contact with their kid who went to spring break or is this like the olds perpetrated this so they could get out.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Just to reiterate. Trump just said that closing the country is worse than the virus because people will kill themselves by the thousands.

Ugh.

Great now every time I hear a gun shot in my neighborhood I'm gonna worry it was a suicide.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

All the gunshots in my neighborhood are me shooting squirrels for food.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

That cartoonist got a lot of nose hair

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ugh.

Lmao at whatever member of his entourage suggested this little nugget that his drug addled brain latched onto.

Someone posted an article a few pages back where it talked about him saying this, and the article noted that suicides will have to quadruple to approach the low-end estimate for roni deaths.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

tater_salad posted:

IDGI.. are the olds on a ship so they dont' die from contact with their kid who went to spring break or is this like the olds perpetrated this so they could get out.

Do I have to say this?

theonion.com

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I like how the cartoon has quotes around "coronavirus".

e:

AnnoyBot posted:

Do I have to say this?

theonion.com

Oh.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Hazo posted:

Lmao at whatever member of his entourage suggested this little nugget that his drug addled brain latched onto.

Someone posted an article a few pages back where it talked about him saying this, and the article noted that suicides will have to quadruple to approach the low-end estimate for roni deaths.

Are there THAT many suicides???
We are talking about 2 million dead from Roni in a year not being a ridiculous figure at all

I looked it up, nope 50 thousand a year

No way will would it be even close oc

Spinz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 24, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You guys have never seen a Kelly cartoon?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its weird to be on the other side of this
im recovered and now immune, also very bored

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

GolfHole posted:

its weird to be on the other side of this
im recovered and now immune, also very bored

What were your first symptoms how did they progress?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Open by Easter!

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Yes please. I've been bouncing between 98.6f and 100f the past few days, but no other symptoms, so it's like an anxiety rollercoaster.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

sore throat then stiffness then headache, next day cough and fever, as well as developing tight chest from sputum and mucous

total progression 1-3 days to peak, 3-4 days off-peak = ~6 days

likely incubation was 3 days prior

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You guys have never seen a Kelly cartoon?

:sickos:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

just another posted:

Open by Easter!

Fox News reporter who gets exclusive interview with the president - "I guess there's going to be another resurrection. :smug: "

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GolfHole posted:

sore throat then stiffness then headache, next day cough and fever, as well as developing tight chest from sputum and mucous

total progression 1-3 days to peek, 3-4 days off-peek = ~6 days

likely incubation was 3 days prior

You sure it wasn't normal flu?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
India gonna lockdown its 1.3 billion people for 21 days.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
FYI if any of you are looking for hope, DO NOT watch the Trump town hall on Fox News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Spinz posted:

Are there THAT many suicides???
We are talking about 2 million dead from Roni in a year not being a ridiculous figure at all

I looked it up, nope 50 thousand a year

No way will would it be even close oc

Low-end is 200k dead so it checks out

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/world/coronavirus-updates-usa-world.html

quote:

While it is true that those causes of death outnumber deaths from the virus to date, projections from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that deaths from Covid-19 could range from 200,000 to 1.7 million people. Estimates from other scientists place the potential deaths in a range from several hundred thousand to several million deaths, substantially more than annual deaths from car accidents and flu combined.

Mr. Trump also suggested the economic contraction caused by restrictions on commerce and travel to prevent spread of the coronavirus could lead to large-scale fatalities from suicide — “probably more death from that than anything we’re talking about with respect to the virus,” he said. The number of suicides in the country would need to quadruple to approach the low end of the estimates for possible coronavirus deaths.