Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Babish and his girlfriend caught covid-19, and he’s handling quarantine the only way he knows how.
https://youtu.be/M-7t9FBecoU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That concoction makes a lot of sense in a "teenagers use vague memories from health class & wrong information from infomercials to brew healing potion" setting, I'm impressed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jim Sterling takes the bold stance the new Animal Crossing is not as good as Doom.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That was....really bad. Like he knew he’d get poo poo for not liking it much like BotW, so he decided to just double down on being obnoxious. There, now everyone hates it!

I’m sure we’ll get another video or comment in a video about how it was a joke you guys. A joke. A very not serious thing that was clearly not meant to be taken seriously!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kim Justice posted:

cancelled

This is a good excuse to say that the first Deadliest Warrior game on Xbox 360 was awesome -- not that "Legends" piffle which was a waste of money, but the first one rocked. Like a cheaper and obviously shittier but still really fun Bushido Blade. The Ninja remains the cheapest and most OP character in the history of fighting games.

Spartan was the real cheap motherfucker, I forget what the trick or sweet spot was, but there was a way you could make the game aim for the head every time with his throwing javelins, which would be one shots aimed for the head and not body.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

watho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jwo5qc78QU

tom scott released a very good video on why the problem isn’t with youtube’s copyright id system, it’s with copyright law

I mean the problem is overwhelmingly with youtubes copyright system because they have all the money in the world but can't be arsed to hire enough people to manually check claims.

They also punish people for refuting copyright claims while specifically not punishing people who file false copyright claims against content they don't own.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 24, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWayXQq1rtY

Angry Joe talks about the game that is making the steam thread poo poo their pants.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Pants Donkey posted:

That was....really bad. Like he knew he’d get poo poo for not liking it much like BotW, so he decided to just double down on being obnoxious. There, now everyone hates it!

I’m sure we’ll get another video or comment in a video about how it was a joke you guys. A joke. A very not serious thing that was clearly not meant to be taken seriously!

I was working on a post asking what was wrong with that episode, but I did get a yikes when he offhandedly compared people who “liked the weapon durability in BotW” to people going to the beach despite how it contributes to this plague thing we have.

Other than that, he just really doesn’t seem to like the game, which is absolutely fine. I never understood the negative reaction to him disliking BotW as anything other than childishness (because honestly, why care?) but I didn’t follow him at that time. Did he make a lovely comparison fans of weapon durability back then, too?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wow, I never knew this mario game existed, it seems neat. kinda odd they never brought it to the US, since it's all already in english and I THINK Mario Paint did pretty well so there were a bunch of nintendo mice in the wild?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MReSgZzgKbo&hd=1

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

i am tim! posted:

I was working on a post asking what was wrong with that episode, but I did get a yikes when he offhandedly compared people who “liked the weapon durability in BotW” to people going to the beach despite how it contributes to this plague thing we have.

Other than that, he just really doesn’t seem to like the game, which is absolutely fine. I never understood the negative reaction to him disliking BotW as anything other than childishness (because honestly, why care?) but I didn’t follow him at that time. Did he make a lovely comparison fans of weapon durability back then, too?
I don’t think so, he just got a lot of flak for giving the game a less than glowing review like everyone else.

I get that Nintendo fanboys suck, but this review was just super defensive and weird. You can just not like the thing, Dude.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Katt posted:

I mean the problem is overwhelmingly with youtubes copyright system because they have all the money in the world but can't be arsed to hire enough people to manually check claims.

They also punish people for refuting copyright claims while specifically not punishing people who file false copyright claims against content they don't own.

i mean yeah google has tons of money but youtube is running at a loss and they’re trying really loving hard to if not turn a profit at least mitigate the losses and hiring a bunch of full-time lawyers to check all copyright claims is not at all in their interests. to quote the video, not saying that’s good, it’s just the way it is

the second point is directly talked about in the actual video

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

watho posted:

i mean yeah google has tons of money but youtube is running at a loss and they’re trying really loving hard to if not turn a profit at least mitigate the losses and hiring a bunch of full-time lawyers to check all copyright claims is not at all in their interests. to quote the video, not saying that’s good, it’s just the way it is

the second point is directly talked about in the actual video

Won't someone think of the mega corps :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

wow, I never knew this mario game existed, it seems neat. kinda odd they never brought it to the US, since it's all already in english and I THINK Mario Paint did pretty well so there were a bunch of nintendo mice in the wild?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MReSgZzgKbo&hd=1

I think I saw an article about this game in an old, now defunct Nintendo magazine over here. What an odd blast from the past

Re: Nintendo mice, there was this weird space 4x called Utopia: Creation of a Nation, that for some reason was roughly ported to the SNES. As a kid, I was very baffled to learn that the game worked with my Nintendo mouse. I can't remember if that was even intended, or if Utopia just worked so much better with mouse control it didn't matter if the game wasn't programmed to use the Nintendo mouse.

Back then I played Utopia about three times as long as Mario Paint, running through all available scenarios (the planets you have to colonize and defend) one by one.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Katt posted:

Won't someone think of the mega corps :v:

so did you actually read or do you just want to dunk on a video you obviously didn’t watch

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

watho posted:

so did you actually read or do you just want to dunk on a video you obviously didn’t watch

Google and Youtube do not warrant this level of ravenous defence and absolutely not the benefit of the doubt. Tom Scott makes the occasional alright video.

If youtube isn't profitable it's because google is siphoning off money to keep it that way. They didn't spend 1.6 billion dollars on it to lose money.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

gently caress I haven't thought about Utopia in ages. It was probably built primarily for mouse since the computer versions were all mouse driven but did controller support since nobody had a mouse.

It had banging music on the Amiga.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Katt posted:

Google and Youtube do not warrant this level of ravenous defence and absolutely not the benefit of the doubt. Tom Scott makes the occasional alright video.

If youtube isn't profitable it's because google is siphoning off money to keep it that way. They didn't spend 1.6 billion dollars on it to lose money.

i’m not defending youtube the video and i are both saying that copyright is currently fundamentally broken and needs to be either reformed or (in my opinion) completely abolished

also youtube isn’t profitable because hosting video is insanely loving expensive and nobody can afford to do it

watho fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 24, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

watho posted:

i’m not defending youtube the video and i are both saying that copyright is currently fundamentally broken and needs to be either reformed or (in my opinion) completely abolished

That's like the tiniest tip of the iceberg that is the problem with youtube,

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Katt posted:

That's like the tiniest tip of the iceberg that is the problem with youtube,

okay???? the video isn’t about youtube in general but about copyright

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I remember renting Yoshi Safari and being devastated coming home from school to a game that requires the super scope. No idea why rental places even carried it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I recently got World of Horror (great early access indie game), and I think I first heard about it from an internet video but I just can't remember or find it. it doesn't seem to be Errant Signal or Superbunnyhop, who were my first two guesses.

:shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I recently got World of Horror (great early access indie game), and I think I first heard about it from an internet video but I just can't remember or find it. it doesn't seem to be Errant Signal or Superbunnyhop, who were my first two guesses.

I've only seen this one so I can't really help much. Was this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPiWRw28T7g

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

RagnarRox talks about it on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofu8C_2J5o&hd=1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It mgiht have been one of these videos, thanks.

Also right after I bring up the game, Woolie plays it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZIH7naKjs

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://youtu.be/6tYcPuVYDHw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An hour of Cats? I need to save that for when the quarantine starts to really gently caress me up.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

i am tim! posted:

He's right

edit: However, unlike BOTW though which he's very correct about, he is wrong about Animal Crossing, an actual good game

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2020

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
he's right about both and for exactly the right reasons

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Macaluso posted:

He's right

edit: However, unlike BOTW though which he's very correct about, he is wrong about Animal Crossing, an actual good game

yeah i loved most things about botw but fuckin hated the weapon durability poo poo to a degree that it dragged the entire experience down

he is indeed wrong about animal crossing though

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Katt posted:

instead of making a needlessly confrontational post where you spout off a bunch of cliches and then gently caress off you could just gently caress off

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the weapon durability is actually fine if you do not have too good to use syndrome. just use whatever and don't care if things break

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1242617649193979905
shaun's posted stuff along these lines a few times recently, I assume he's been getting an annoying amount of messages that aren't really relevant to him

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 25, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Durability is a different beast in each game. In botw it can make progression feel empty because there is no permanence whereas Animal Crossing isn’t that kind of game. Also you can eventually earn unbreakable tools in the latter. Of course if you just outright hate your poo poo breaking then these differences are not going to matter much.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
in botw there's a ton of other permanent progression though.

the weapon durability keeps you changing things up. not to a huge degree though since weapons aren't that different so it shouldn't throw things off too much. some people need to learn to be a bit more adaptable, you don't need to micromanage your weapons. you can just use whatever is dropped as you go about your business.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

IronicDongz posted:

the weapon durability keeps you changing things up. not to a huge degree though since weapons aren't that different so it shouldn't throw things off too much. some people need to learn to be a bit more adaptable, you don't need to micromanage your weapons. you can just use whatever is dropped as you go about your business.

this is intolerable!!!!! shut the gently caress up!!!! you idiot!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the real animal crossing debate is time travel vs no time travel :can:

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

IronicDongz posted:

Sure there's more permanent progression but little of it is exciting. 3/4ths of the abilities from killing the great beasts are pretty meh, increasing your equipment slots wouldn't matter without durability so that hardly counts, more hearts have always been the least possible exciting upgrade in Zelda games, stamina is a little more fun to get but not amazingly so. It's mostly just armour upgrades that really felt good to get and they are very few and far between, at least if you're focusing on one or two sets that you like as seems sensible.

But in previous Zelda games getting your sword upgraded/getting a new sword felt awesome. You felt so powerful afterwards it was great. And there's just not really anything like that in BotW.

However despite all that my biggest problem with it is just that if you find some of the weapon types unfun to use you're boned. It would be way too tedious to really keep a stock of just your favourite weapon types so you just have to use what's nearby. And if the only nearby weapons with any decent damage are giant sluggish ones the combat is going to be, for me at least, incredibly unfun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't own Breath of the Wild or Animal Crossing but I just assume that by the different natures of the games in general that your axe breaking in AC is a lot less obnoxious than it is in BotW since you're not really doing a ton of combat.

I'm also going to foolishly assume that you get a good 30 or so swings from even the basic twig and leaf axe as well to mitigate things.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s a bit weird because there are now two axes: one that chops down trees like always, and one that will chop wood (a new item since they added crafting) but leaves the tree in tact. The second-level axe lasts a decent enough amount of time, but you do have to craft the basic one (which lasts for maybe five trees) to get the better one, which is annoying.

What bums me out is how many characters have been cut for basic quality of life stuff. Yes, it is easier to use a mirror in your house to change your character’s look, but it means losing the poodle lady who runs the hair salon in previous games. It feels odd, because losing too much of that strips the game of its charm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s a bit weird because there are now two axes: one that chops down trees like always, and one that will chop wood (a new item since they added crafting) but leaves the tree in tact. The second-level axe lasts a decent enough amount of time, but you do have to craft the basic one (which lasts for maybe five trees) to get the better one, which is annoying.

What bums me out is how many characters have been cut for basic quality of life stuff. Yes, it is easier to use a mirror in your house to change your character’s look, but it means losing the poodle lady who runs the hair salon in previous games. It feels odd, because losing too much of that strips the game of its charm.

Yeah, that is weird. I haven't been picking up a ton of new crafting games lately but it always bugs me playing games where you're expected to be making stuff and they're really stingy about giving you items. Or just the whole 'one item per chest' thing. Bloodstained is the one that comes to mind, since you can cook but you can only get one fruit from an enemy at a time. If you killed a harpy and they dropped five lemons that'd really speed things along.

Also not having recurring characters doesn't feel right at all. I thought that was one of the main points of Animal Crossing. Why else would people hold a grudge for that scummy bastard Nook if he wasn't always there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pants Donkey posted:

Animal Crossing is charm at a cost. Sure, you can have the poodle lady, but some people want the change now without a bunch of extra menus. There's an excitement to "Oh boy, I can't wait to see what my museum is gonna look like when I wake up tomorrow!", but a portion of the player base has literally already beaten the "campaign" through time travel and has terraformed their island to exact specifications so they can start "playing." It's a balancing act to satisfy the people who want instant Sims money to build a mansion while staying true to design philosophy, and sadly, sacrifice comes with that.