Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda

by Hand Knit

Macnult posted:

some of my other friends live right by the park, so after grabbing chipotle when i left i went over to their place.

I know BYOB is chill and I should chill but seriously what the gently caress are you doing???

If you and your friends all have this kind of casual attitude towards socializing you're creating great conditions for transmission and persistence of the virus. Have you not read enough about Italy? Have you not read enough about what social distancing means? What's not clicking for you here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

So, graphics card died horribly right before the whole quarantine. My son found. a dusty, old Radeon HD 6870 in an abandoned wizard's tower, and I'm attempting to get it to work so I can at least watch Netflix or something. Of all the drat times

Does the motherboard have a built in graphics card? Intel started integrating an hdmi port that accessed the cpu's graphics architecture if I remember right, maybe it's good enough to stream movies?

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

google THIS

Enough people go "Eh, I trust them to be careful and none of us are showing any symptoms" and soon you've got a contact chain that includes pretty much everybody, like a virus underground railroad. My mother-in-law won't even babysit my nephews right now, even though it puts a hardship on my sister-in-law.

biosterous

incredibly minor complaint: all the crunchy peanut butter was sold out today, of every brand. there were several varieties of smooth peanut butter though so i got a jar of that.

i guess i'm complaining that my neighbourhood is full of people with correct peanut butter preferences

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

xcheopis

biosterous posted:

incredibly minor complaint: all the crunchy peanut butter was sold out today, of every brand. there were several varieties of smooth peanut butter though so i got a jar of that.

i guess i'm complaining that my neighbourhood is full of people with correct peanut butter preferences

I had an unfortunate reminder that I can no longer eat peanuts and I have a couple of jars of the crunchy stuff saved for earthquake/fire/mud slide/PG&E moments, so you can have them.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Macnult

cda posted:

I know BYOB is chill and I should chill but seriously what the gently caress are you doing???

If you and your friends all have this kind of casual attitude towards socializing you're creating great conditions for transmission and persistence of the virus. Have you not read enough about Italy? Have you not read enough about what social distancing means? What's not clicking for you here?

i was the only one at the park, the only one at chipotle (minus the workers), and the two friends that i mentioned live together. i really just stopped by to eat my chipotle real quick and dip out. they picked up weed but we did not smoke together, they just hooked me up with some to take home. it wasn’t a “fuggit time to kick it with all the homies” type deal.

apologies if that wasn’t enough, but at that point in time i was much more concerned with my mental wellbeing than the coronavirus.

Escape From Noise

Finally got some unscented tp. Two-ply roll OUT

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

cda

by Hand Knit

Macnult posted:

i was the only one at the park, the only one at chipotle (minus the workers), and the two friends that i mentioned live together. i really just stopped by to eat my chipotle real quick and dip out.

yeah i didn't quote these because i get it, you need exercise and you need to eat. those are essentials.

Macnult posted:

they picked up weed but we did not smoke together, they just hooked me up with some to take home. it wasn’t a “fuggit time to kick it with all the homies” type deal.

apologies if that wasn’t enough, but at that point in time i was much more concerned with my mental wellbeing than the coronavirus.

if you get within six feet of someone, you're getting within six feet of everyone they got within six feet of. and the goal isn't to prevent you from getting coronavirus. everyone needs to act like they already have it and they're trying to not give it to anyone else. i mean hell, you want to hang out with friends, just bring your own lawn chair, sit in their back yard or on the driveway or whatever, and stay more than six feet away.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Goons Are Gifts

Isolation is extremely variable in how easy it is to handle it. People who live alone and are used to socialize a lot are in a very different situation than those who got friends or families at home, while others can hardly handle hanging around their roommates all day long and would prefer to be out on their own.
I'm struggling extremely hard with staying at home, because I usually never do it. I live alone and usually am running around all day every day, meeting tons and tons of people, in every day life (mainly due to public transportation and work though) I easily get into the six feet range with more than a hundred people sooner or later. Not having these circumstances is extremely difficult, but also necessary. I'm still outside most of the time though, but entirely by myself and if I meet someone it's from a safe distance. Luckily most of my friends are very able to do what I fail to do, so they don't get in contact with anyone but me, which admittedly delegates a part of my responsibility onto them, but at least de facto still limits the spread, in case I do carry it and I do infect others despite the distance.
That's also a big part why I volunteered for stuff, so I get out of the drat house while keeping the safe distance and simply having a reason to not be at home. I just suck at doing that on my own.

cda is entirely right, however, and it's good to warn and raise a finger about those who do not do that, but keep in mind that some struggle a lot more with this than others and I'm afraid this will get worse every day.

alnilam

Yeah you can consider meeting friends in the out of doors, where it is easy to stand 8 ft apart and drink a beer while talking. That's what we've been doing with our neighbor pals on nice days, to stay sane. Also times are weird for everyone so nobody seems to care about drinking beers in public rn (usually a no no in most of the US)

As of today we're under an official lockdown so I don't think we can do that anymore. Oh well it's for the best.

ty manifisto

google THIS

Even as a remote working introvert it gets tough. It would be nice to be able to take the kids to a movie or museum or something, or go to a restaurant or visit family, or just go to the grocery store without having to substitute half your list because they're out of everything and avoiding people and just feeling this weird grim depressing aura over everything.

cda

by Hand Knit
Grocery shopping is the loving worst rn

Escape From Noise

Man. Everywhere sounds so intense. Things are pretty much back to normal in Japan, so far as I know. My friend in Sapporo says it's a ghost town there though. I guess it just sort of feels like it passed me by, although it's still around. Schools got closed, events got cancelled, and the government put out an advisory that older people mostly stay indoors. There was a panic buying of masks and tp but I don't think grocery stores ran out of food and restaurants weren't closed. The one I work at was pretty dead for a few weeks.

My friend just moved back from London and is self quarantining herself in Tokyo. She seems to still be really shell shocked over her experience in London and texts me a lot that people aren't taking it seriously. Which probably has some truth to it but I don't know how you can realistically shut down a city like Tokyo.

I guess they're rescheduling the Olympics though finally.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I have friends who want to come by and chat, so I meet them outside and we chat- inviting them inside would mean wiping down every single surface they touched using an abundance of overcaution because you can't be too safe.

Treat everyone like you're sick and they could die being near you.

Treat everyone like THEY are sick and you could die being near them.

My nuclear/biological/chemical attack training is coming in handy from my 10 years in the Air Force...

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
the world could rlly use a friend square rn :ohdear:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I have spent the last five years very happily living alone and the last two working alone and I feel like all my training is finally paying off. I’ve always found myself pretty good company, but I know not everyone is like that. If they tell me I can’t go outside to work in the yard or go to work I just might go crazy.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Areola Grande

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have spent the last five years very happily living alone and the last two working alone and I feel like all my training is finally paying off. I’ve always found myself pretty good company, but I know not everyone is like that. If they tell me I can’t go outside to work in the yard or go to work I just might go crazy.

Same. I never thought being a hermit would pay off but it's our time to shine now pardner :hfive:

biosterous

over the last week and change, my spouse and i have worked out a system where (if we need more space) one of us will be in the bedroom and one will be in the living room and sometimes we switch. it just sorta came about naturally and it's been working well so far! and we're enjoying the extra time we have together up until we hit our personal limits :)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

prepuce repurposed posted:

Same. I never thought being a hermit would pay off but it's our time to shine now pardner :hfive:
Hermits unite!

Hey.....wait a minute!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

i wish people could be adults and act right re: distancing instead of just wildin' out until a nanny state comes and sends them to their room without any dinner

tbqh government exploiting this crisis to grant themselves hella emergency powers that never go away is a big part of what i'm worried about, and it's really hard to argue against mandatory quarantines and stuff while dipshits keep flying and going to bars. looking forward to not being allowed to fish and spending my food rations at nationalized walmart on my outdoor activity day (i hope it's wednesday)

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Goons Are Gifts

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

My nuclear/biological/chemical attack training is coming in handy from my 10 years in the Air Force...

I feel like I'm too young now. I mean, I probably am in general tbh.
We did do that in theory and had I think two? notable exercises about that back then but when I met some of my old comrades a few days ago we joked about how we learned, like, all of the stuff that could happen if a foreign force attacked Germany, except when they do it with anything else but bullets.
That said, my time there was like 6 years ago, because I'm a baby boy, and the leadership is probably reconsidering their training schedule now.

The drama around H1N1 really desensitized some people about how an actual pandemic threat looks like.

Goons Are Gifts

Btw working out at home while posting in byob works and is a blessing to your soul

Just gotta find a good move to post ratio

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

The drama around H1N1 really desensitized some people about how an actual pandemic threat looks like.

this is extremely true. the way that expert authority has been undermined in the public eye, especially in the U.S., contributed greatly to the problem.

ty nesamdoom!

Areola Grande

i just got back from my annual checkup and my doctor seemed genuinely stoked to be living though a real pandemic instead of all these sissy fake ones like swine and bird and h1n1

he said we (americans) are all going to get the virus, and 80% will survive it. after all, that's the only way to build up immunity to it so we're ready for the 2021 wave of corvid

i was shocked by these statements tbh

Manifisto

i just got back from my annual checkup and my doctor seemed genuinely stoked to be living though a real pandemic instead of all these sissy fake ones like swine and bird and h1n1

he said we (americans) are all going to get the virus, and 80% will survive it. after all, that's the only way to build up immunity to it so we're ready for the 2021 wave of corvid

holy poo poo that is shocking as hell, not to mention completely at odds with actual statistics so far. and being gung ho for millions of deaths (by his reckoning, billions) marks him as a sociopath.

ty nesamdoom!

google THIS

i just got back from my annual checkup and my doctor seemed genuinely stoked to be living though a real pandemic instead of all these sissy fake ones like swine and bird and h1m1

Only 65 million dead in this country alone? Gee golly.

I'll admit I was waiting with morbid anticipation for some good ol' fashioned Darwinist antics. I'm sure there are lengthy eugenic treatises about how we're weakening the human race with our quarantine measures and our irrational caring about others, probably even in some nearby grey forum. Not that I'd care to seek out or read any of it.

xcheopis

We just received a pallet of supplies to send to shelters and outreach programs. It wouldn't fit through the door of the building, nor would it have fit in the elevator or through the suite doors. So I asked the driver to plop the pallet in front of the building and called an "all hands!" to break it down and take up on hand trucks. The entire office mobilised to get this done quickly and efficiently!

All three of us. Because we're the only ones working on site today. :classiclol:

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 24, 2020

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

owlhawk911

well our costco order just got cancelled. that's ok i didn't really want rice, flour, salt, sugar, butter, oil, choc chips etc anyways. i'll catch fish with my bare hands and eat them raw. i'll defend my garden from raiders with a sharp stick. i am an unstoppable force and cannot be destroyed by some puny virus. gently caress you virus

owlhawk911

me, eating spruce tips: i like these. i'm eating them because i want to. they're high in vitamin c

Manifisto

owlhawk911 posted:

well our costco order just got cancelled. that's ok i didn't really want rice, flour, salt, sugar, butter, oil, choc chips etc anyways. i'll catch fish with my bare hands and eat them raw. i'll defend my garden from raiders with a sharp stick. i am an unstoppable force and cannot be destroyed by some puny virus. gently caress you virus

owlhawk911 posted:

me, eating spruce tips: i like these. i'm eating them because i want to. they're high in vitamin c

lol, but also, that sux

that sux big fat donkey duck

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

:yikes:

every doctor and nurse i know has a sort of weary pre-battle attitude like "I'm terrified but I must do this, I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

the hospitals are basically gearing up as if for a war

it's... not something to be stoked about

alnilam fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 24, 2020

ty manifisto

cda

by Hand Knit

owlhawk911 posted:

lol but also poo poo man, sorry about your costco order

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Areola Grande

alnilam posted:

:yikes:

every doctor and nurse i know has a sort of weary pre-battle attitude like "I'm terrified but I must do this, I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

the hospitals are basically gearing up as if for a war

it's... not something to be stoked about

I'm sure it is highly interesting from a nerdy medical perspective but maybe don't tell ur patients how dope these times are

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

I'm sure it is highly interesting from a nerdy medical perspective but maybe don't tell ur patients how dope these times are

lmao

alnilam

Yeah it's interesting but getting actually excited is ghoulish.

I'm married to a doctor and know a lot of people in the medical profession and they're all the opposite of stoked. I'm not too thrilled myself, in fact I'm really scared.

alnilam

You might say i need a hug

alnilam

on second thought it's a pretty funny post as well

owlhawk911

alnilam posted:

You might say i need a hug

one of the most brutal forms of social distancing is the hug ban

alnilam

owlhawk911 posted:

one of the most brutal forms of social distancing is the hug ban

as a big time extrovert and hug fan it has been hard on me