Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Its not hard to see the similarities between CT / FFVII / XG.

The very basic premise is that an alien crash lands itself onto a planet infecting it from within. You can see how this concept then evolved into each game.

e: Even PE, except its not an alien, its a molecule infecting the body from within instead of a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Onmi posted:

The person doing the LOTR comparison is on point.

Assuming they've already nearly finished the other parts and they'll be released annually, sure.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TommyGun85 posted:

Its not hard to see the similarities between CT / FFVII / XG.

The very basic premise is that an alien crash lands itself onto a planet infecting it from within. You can see how this concept then evolved into each game.

e: Even PE, except its not an alien, its a molecule infecting the body from within instead of a planet.

Let’s not forget a lot of The Spirits Within cribbed a lot from this idea pool as well. NYC, alien infection, giant canons, James Woods as Not Rufus Shinra, big craters, cast that is basically just repurposed Avalanche...

(I still like the movie quite a bit.)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You mean MiToChonDRiA?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We were this close to having a character with a gun arm named Gunner Blow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Scalding Coffee posted:

We were this close to having a character with a gun arm named Gunner Blow.

That's a Tomino name if I ever heard one.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

It's unfortunate that so many people seem to think that "episodic" means it will be released like episodes from games like The Walking Dead and Life Is Strange. They should have used a different word.

Or like Half-Life!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Yeah that's true enough. I know I got Nier for cheap too, and I just got Octopath Traveler for $30 a few days ago

Talking of which though, god drat, Octopath Traveler is insanely good and it's sad that it's never gonna get a PS4 release

Is there an Octopath Traveler thread? I love that game to death and my wife is currently playing through it too. Now that it's finally on sale and a lot of people are home I feel like there should be renewed in it and I would love to post about it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there an Octopath Traveler thread? I love that game to death and my wife is currently playing through it too. Now that it's finally on sale and a lot of people are home I feel like there should be renewed in it and I would love to post about it.

Try the SaGa thread.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yN3JeFrfRQ

Here’s a pretty good history of the ff7 development and it covers where some of the scrapped concept and ideas ended up
A fun bit to add to the chain of projects getting bits and bobs from the same general pool that wasn't quite clearly emphasized (given the video's focus on VII) was that Chrono Trigger inherited unused/unfinished ideas from the Secret of Mana development as well. A whole lot of rolling shifts at Squaresoft seem to have stemmed from the Super Famicom CD project falling through.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Elephant Ambush posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860038&pagenumber=97&perpage=40

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Gologle posted:

I was thinking about what if Shinra was a real life company, so I came up with this stupid poo poo:

"So how does Shinra's agile approach adapt to the negative influencers among their client base spreading fake news about our productivity and alleged "harmful" byproducts in our Mako reactors? Well, as we've addressed before, our two week sprints have undergone a small shift in our usual paradigms to respond to consumer concerns. Rest assured, daily conversations are taking place in the corporate echelons with the ultimate intention to benefit the customer. We here at Shinra take your safety into the utmost consideration when deciding on how to proceed into the next quarter, always keeping in mind our core values and mission statement: When we profit, people profit."

This is loving word-replacement for my company’s Coronavirus email.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

"..."

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

According to this article, the Sense Materia is now called Assess Materia.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Kheldarn posted:

Literally unplayable

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Raposa posted:

Literally unplayable

Let's hope it's an autocorrect thing, and an extra 's' was added to the end…

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

Why the gently caress not call it Scan :confused:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Kheldarn posted:

loving millenials ruining everything in media nowadays.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Random: Apparently the reason Sense stops working on certain bosses is that it literally can't display a number higher than...I dunno, I think it was 65,000 or something.

This has always bugged me. They give you this materia that stops having any use fairly early on. Why even bother.

One good thing about more recent RPGs is they tend to be better at actually giving you info on bosses, at least in my experience. You can find out what tehy resist or are immune to, what their HP is, etc..

I wonder how useful status ailments will be in FFVIIR....

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder how useful status ailments will be in FFVIIR....

I see this being tied into the stagger mechanics and basically essential for taking down bosses quickly without it becoming a grind and blowing through your potion stock

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I see this being tied into the stagger mechanics and basically essential for taking down bosses quickly without it becoming a grind and blowing through your potion stock

FF13 basically had it so bosses were much more vulnerable to status ailments while Staggered.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Picked back up my FFVII save this weekend after not playing for almost a year, and just got the Highwind. It’s really amazing how everyone’s dialogue changes to be about the meteor.

And avoid anyone that doesn’t like Yuffie. She is some much needed comic relief. Also, she loving flattened the Wutai Pagoda with Neo Bahamut, and a Comet2 for the last two floors.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I watched all of Glow on Netflix and just put together that Justine's actress from the show is voicing Tifa in the remake, which is pretty perfect casting.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, she's a great choice in this horrid future where we must go on without Rachael Leigh Cook

:(

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

https://twitter.com/cart_blowers/status/1241871098695876608

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I watched all of Glow on Netflix and just put together that Justine's actress from the show is voicing Tifa in the remake, which is pretty perfect casting.

I was blanking on who that is but ohhhhh it's Jailbait (is she still called that after season 1?) That's pretty good casting.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_Xqgjm55Q

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Will we have to shell out money for every episodic release?

Take my money I guess Square Enix.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

infraboy posted:

Again, every "episode" is a full-length game. Of course they're going to price them as full-price games. Do you expect to see an entire movie series in the theater from buying one ticket?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Schwartzcough posted:

Again, every "episode" is a full-length game. Of course they're going to price them as full-price games. Do you expect to see an entire movie series in the theater from buying one ticket?

That's what they say anyway. We won't know if charging full price for only the first part feels worth it until the game's out.

I have a feeling the actual length/content of the game might divide opinions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

That's what they say anyway. We won't know if charging full price for only the first part feels worth it until the game's out.

From the demo there's literally no way it isn't going to be at least a 20 or 30 hour RPG with sky high production values. That's a full game no matter how you look at it.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Anyone that still thinks each game might be light on content obviously hasn't played the demo or watched any of the official videos with dev interviews yet. But I get it, it's cool to be pessimistic about video games on the Internet these days.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Even Square don't know how many installments it's going to be but going by the original game it'll be 3 minimum, probably more than likely going to be 4 or even 5.

That's a big chunk of playtime per installment, not even factoring the expanded universe stuff they're likely to include as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

Of course it will. There are tons of angry idiot nerds who judge a game solely on number of gameplay hours per dollar or whatever. Doesn't matter how good a game is if it's short. And of course they go out of their way to cite speedrun times on games instead of initial playthrough times where people aren't using a guide.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Twice as much content doesn't necessarily mean twice as much good. Pacing also matters. Persona 5 had something like 70 hours of content but the pacing is terrible, at least 20 of those could have been dumped without sacrificing anything in terms of plot engagement. So many conversations that are repeated practically verbatim.

The extra stuff could well be quite good in its own right but it better be something better than Poochie the Biker With Attitude

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At least part of it is spend developing other characters. Apparently you'll get to meet Jesse's parents and stuff and to be honest "actually developing Sector 7 so it feels more consequential when poo poo goes bad" seems entirely reasonable.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

infraboy posted:

:bang: yet another one

It's a full-length mainline Final Fantasy that just happens to tell the story of the Midgar chapter of the original instead of being Final Fantasy XVI

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Of course it will. There are tons of angry idiot nerds who judge a game solely on number of gameplay hours per dollar or whatever. Doesn't matter how good a game is if it's short. And of course they go out of their way to cite speedrun times on games instead of initial playthrough times where people aren't using a guide.

Speed runs are a pox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Half a speed run lol