Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kheldarn posted:

Speed runs are a pox.

Nah they're fun.

It's just laughable when people say "Metal Gear Solid is only an hour long" when literally nobody did that their first time through because obviously you don't know anything about it or where to go or what to do and most people don't skip cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

At least part of it is spend developing other characters. Apparently you'll get to meet Jesse's parents and stuff and to be honest "actually developing Sector 7 so it feels more consequential when poo poo goes bad" seems entirely reasonable.

True. Sector 7 fell awfully flat because you were never really given any reason to care about the people who lived there. It was little more than a generic "RPG protagonist gets their home town hosed up by the villain to get the story going" moment. Then again, it would make it really hard to view the Turks sympathetically in the later chapters.

Kheldarn posted:

Speed runs are a pox.

Hey speedruns are fun to watch sometimes! :mad:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Sapozhnik posted:

True. Sector 7 fell awfully flat

:golfclap:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Dell_Zincht posted:

Even Square don't know how many installments it's going to be but going by the original game it'll be 3 minimum, probably more than likely going to be 4 or even 5.

That's a big chunk of playtime per installment, not even factoring the expanded universe stuff they're likely to include as well.

*That's* the problem with me.

They don't have a concrete plan to follow, not a good sign to avoid bloat and other things that can drag the games down, even if this one is good.

I mean, I'm still getting the games--but I'd be less pessimistic if they had an actual plan, or even at least *knew how many games it'd take*

It gives me Xenosaga vibes--not to say that that was a bad game series, but that that game development rather fell apart as it went on.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 24, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have no fear and will say that Xenosaga was a pretty bad game series.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Square Enix is an absolute disaster behind the scenes, so I'd be more surprised if they did know how many installments there will be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm waiting for the crossover game SaGa Xeno to be announced at some point after two Japanese devs run into each other at the bar

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've seen videos of some guy speed running Xenogears. Like 10+ hours each attempt. loving why, jesus christ.

The info about characters and characterization seems good honestly? Game might be pretty good.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

ImpAtom posted:

At least part of it is spend developing other characters. Apparently you'll get to meet Jesse's parents and stuff and to be honest "actually developing Sector 7 so it feels more consequential when poo poo goes bad" seems entirely reasonable.

What the gently caress, they really want to twist the knife.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

square penix

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PunkBoy posted:

What the gently caress, they really want to twist the knife.

"Here's Jessie's dad, he runs an orphanage and donates his free time to visiting sick kids in the local hospital. Jessie's mom is a nurse at that hospital and runs a literacy program at her library on the weekends. They also foster abandoned dogs and cats whenever they can."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And they're only one week away from retirement.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jessie will live

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

jessie will live on in our hearts

:smith:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Or at least give us a choice of who to save like ME or Wolfenstein (Jessie every time)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Super No Vacancy posted:

jessie will live

No lol

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

If you get to meet Jessie's parents that better be a part of a Jessie date

I genuinely cannot loving believe Square-Enix has gotten me to care about Jessie, Biggs and Wedge but here I am, chanting "Jessie date, Jessie date, Jessie date" to anyone who will listen

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Jessie will die, but there will be rumors on the internet about a convoluted sidequest to revive her.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Jessie will have a big role in the 4th remake game, subtitled "The Maiden Who Travels the Planet."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sapozhnik posted:

Twice as much content doesn't necessarily mean twice as much good. Pacing also matters. Persona 5 had something like 70 hours of content but the pacing is terrible, at least 20 of those could have been dumped without sacrificing anything in terms of plot engagement. So many conversations that are repeated practically verbatim.

The extra stuff could well be quite good in its own right but it better be something better than Poochie the Biker With Attitude

This. I have no doubts it'll be a great time, but stretching out a prologue with 40 hours of "content" does not a complete game make.

It's going to be The Hobbit of video games. But it's at least shaping up to be enjoyable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Gonna be real hosed up when our new best friends Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge all get smashed into tomato jelly

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theyre gonna live

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Super No Vacancy posted:

theyre gonna live

in our hearts

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

In part I Jessie dies

In part II Aerith dies

In part III they're just gonna kill off Tifa in the gas chamber because why not

FFVIIR presented to you by Yoko Taro

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

DrNutt posted:

"Here's Jessie's dad, he runs an orphanage and donates his free time to visiting sick kids in the local hospital. Jessie's mom is a nurse at that hospital and runs a literacy program at her library on the weekends. They also foster abandoned dogs and cats whenever they can."

I've been watching The Good Place recently so this immediately reminded me of the killswitch scene.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Super No Vacancy posted:

jessie will live

She’ll survive the plate collapse but turn out to be a Shinra spy and you’ll have to kill her in the Shinra tower raid.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Gonna be real hosed up when our new best friends Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge all get smashed into tomato jelly

SQUASHED TOMATOES

I wonder if the plate will actually go "PING" in the remake

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

precision posted:

I'm waiting for the crossover game SaGa Xeno to be announced at some point after two Japanese devs run into each other at the bar

This game would have an audience of 1: me.

I'm the weirdo who loves both these series, knee-deep in the trashcan.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Each of these episodes is gonna be horrifically bloated and I'm still gonna pay full price for all 15+ of them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

This game would have an audience of 1: me.

I'm the weirdo who loves both these series, knee-deep in the trashcan.

I've never played a SaGa game. I've heard maybe they're kinda like refined versions of FF2's "you use a sword and gain Strength" mechanics?

I liked FF2 so I wouldn't mind more of it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They're all very.... unique but tend to have strange level up or skill up mechanics at the very least. So yes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never played a SaGa game. I've heard maybe they're kinda like refined versions of FF2's "you use a sword and gain Strength" mechanics?

I liked FF2 so I wouldn't mind more of it.

Yeah, they usually eschew levels instead of stat-increases and/or skill-increases after battles. Also learning special moves during a fight with a cool lightbulb animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEpNxnKcWg

Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song on PS2 is probably my favourite, but the recently re-released Romancing SaGa 3 is also really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yllzq7L9yMA

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The unorthodox level up systems are like, the least weird part of any given SaGa game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

stev posted:

This. I have no doubts it'll be a great time, but stretching out a prologue with 40 hours of "content" does not a complete game make.

It's going to be The Hobbit of video games. But it's at least shaping up to be enjoyable.

Lmao these kind of posts are almost precious. Like, before the demo and leaks, this would be a reasonable thing to say, but in a post-demo world it's just being Internet Cynical for no good reason

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Clarste posted:

The unorthodox level up systems are like, the least weird part of any given SaGa game.
Akitoshi Kawazu's platonic idea of an RPG is one that can emulate playing a tabletop game without a firm grasp of the rules. He loves the idea of not being able to really figure out the systems programmed into his own games.
And that's how we got Unlimited Saga.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WildSparklingBluejay-mobile.mp4

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Hogama posted:

Akitoshi Kawazu's platonic idea of an RPG is one that can emulate playing a tabletop game without a firm grasp of the rules. He loves the idea of not being able to really figure out the systems programmed into his own games.
And that's how we got Unlimited Saga.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WildSparklingBluejay-mobile.mp4

The only game a blockbuster clerk ever cautioned me against. They were right.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1242496649626300416

I'm guessing this is one of Hojo's attempts at cloning Seph, given that he's a black hood away from hanging out with Kadaj.

I'm sure people will gripe about new whole-cloth characters since part of the demand for the remake is "Square characters are all Kingdom Hearts suckbags now", but the whole Jenova reunion gimmick was one of the most poorly defined details in the original game; set up with the faceless hoods hanging around and topped off with the most WTF scene at the Northern Crater where Cloud's psychosis, Hojo's plot exposition, and Seph's supernatural voodoo just combine to make no sense at all. Having the Jenova experiments be named characters who die en masse for Seph's glory would be a more sensible idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao "Leslie Kyle" sure is a name for a boss

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1242496649626300416

I'm guessing this is one of Hojo's attempts at cloning Seph, given that he's a black hood away from hanging out with Kadaj.

I'm sure people will gripe about new whole-cloth characters since part of the demand for the remake is "Square characters are all Kingdom Hearts suckbags now", but the whole Jenova reunion gimmick was one of the most poorly defined details in the original game; set up with the faceless hoods hanging around and topped off with the most WTF scene at the Northern Crater where Cloud's psychosis, Hojo's plot exposition, and Seph's supernatural voodoo just combine to make no sense at all. Having the Jenova experiments be named characters who die en masse for Seph's glory would be a more sensible idea.

we don't need another organization XIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oxxidation posted:

we don't need another organization XIII

this.

Besides, the reunion works well (for me) because it's vague. It's spooky! And when you do learn more details about who those people are, it's hosed up and depressing and hits you hard af. If we have a bunch of failed Sephiroths running around it kinda ruins the atmosphere imho.

But this is Nomura and his boner for Sephiroth refuses to let go so