Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Good to know. I will be getting a Ryzen 5 3600X in the future, so I'll definitely hold off for now if it's CPU intensive.

I mean I think the 1080 would make up a fair chunk of ground for you but I'm not super sure about it so if you're not champing at the bit to really get to it, it's a SP thing you can always wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

I mean I think the 1080 would make up a fair chunk of ground for you but I'm not super sure about it so if you're not champing at the bit to really get to it, it's a SP thing you can always wait.

The GPU makes up literally zero ground if the game is getting bogged down by CPU-heavy calculations, which is the norm for big open world games like RDR 2 and Assassins Creed. Part of the trouble is that you can't really scale down the CPU-heavy stuff like you can with graphics settings.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ragequit posted:

I have a 3570K with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1080. Is my CPU going to bottleneck me?

Yeah it probably will. I got the same GPU but with a Ryzen 3700X and I was unable to get the game at 50-60FPS at 2560x1440 (unless hard visual impacting options) so I had to use 1920x1080.
It's very GPU intensive too though, for me it's clearly the bottleneck.

They basically added almost every available eye candy and implemented it, which are making the game drat beautiful and far beyond what you could get on a console.

There are good tweak guides for almost 100% stable 60FPS. I tuned that a bit for better visuals at the cost of around 10-15fps.

Also my review is for SP only. The multiplayer is having the exact same hosed up problems from GTA V so I won't touch it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Make sure your steamvr supersampling isn’t cranked to like 250%. That will murder your performance.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So apparently Ubisoft is doing a free weekend for GR:Breakpoint that coincides with the release of the gigantic patch overhauling the game, which is cool of them. It's a very good sandbox shootymans game but if the ARPG stuff was holding you back that'll be able to be disabled with that patch, among other things.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ragequit posted:

Good to know. I will be getting a Ryzen 5 3600X in the future, so I'll definitely hold off for now if it's CPU intensive.
You can always overclock your CPU a few notches to get more out of your CPU before it is replaced. Are you going to replace it this year?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Make sure your steamvr supersampling isn’t cranked to like 250%. That will murder your performance.

And note that they do this automatically :shepface: so it might still be hosed even if you don't know what it is and never touched it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lemming posted:

And note that they do this automatically :shepface: so it might still be hosed even if you don't know what it is and never touched it

The Steam client is so awful about doing that kind of poo poo. I’ve had it change controller settings in menus that were buried in Big Picture Mode until recently. How hard is it to have it ask before it starts changing things?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My first VR lizard brain experience was the tutorial when you first use the Quest and it spawns a table around you. I subconsciously tried leaning on it cause it was right there god dammit

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ragequit posted:

How did Red Dead Redemption 2 turn out on PC? It's on sale for another 4 hours. I am blasting through Borderlands 3 and may need something else to play soon. My wishlist is full of games that don't release until summer for the most part, so it's either that or Doom Eternal I think.

You'll either loving Iove it, like most people, or you'll think its boring as hell, like that one guy. It depends on the type of gamer you are. And, unfortunately, the first two hours of the game (or more) are more or less a tutorial so a 2 hour refund window might not be enough to properly judge. For some reason I recall that you enjoyed Thi4f so I think its safe to say that you would enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You'll either loving Iove it, like most people, or you'll think its boring as hell, like that one guy. It depends on the type of gamer you are. And, unfortunately, the first two hours of the game (or more) are more or less a tutorial so a 2 hour refund window might not be enough to properly judge. For some reason I recall that you enjoyed Thi4f so I think its safe to say that you would enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2.

Wow low blow.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hah, I can't believe that stuck with people. I am indeed the guy that didn't think Thief was that bad. I am passing on RDR2 for now until I get a better CPU.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

You'll either loving Iove it, like most people, or you'll think its boring as hell, like that one guy.

Most RDR2 opinions I see are like that one guy. That could be because the minority is more vocal about it, but it's not just one person that thinks it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Most RDR2 opinions I see are like that one guy. That could be because the minority is more vocal about it, but it's not just one person that thinks it.

The game being clunky as gently caress is absolutely a common opinion.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

RDR2 is yet another big tick in the "R* need to make a loving crime movie already so they can get this one goddamn story out of their system." They've been doing the same game, more or less, since San Andreas, and its getting worse and worse as time goes on. The story blows chunks for most of it, and the actual missions get in the way of the parts of the game that are genuinely fun to do.

You can get into a mission forced gunfight at a totally secret hideout out in the woods, I'm talking so secret you needed a plot point person to lead you there to attack, and yet not 5 minutes after clearing it, when you're going around looting all the people you killed, because money is scarce, the loving cops show up somehow! And now you have a wanted level and/or are loving dead because you didn't expect the cops in the middle of the goddamn woods.

The actual world and going around it hunting and exploring and poo poo was absolute aces, but anytime R* tried to tell their typical story it brought everything to a screeching halt of unfun crap.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I feel like Red Dead toned down the weird bounty thing at some point after launch, I played it right when it came out on console and was getting chased by cops because a fight happened near me or because my horse bonked a guy but when I ended up playing through it a few months later it was way less of an issue. The controls are absolutely bananas, but once I made peace with them and the game being a pretty good movie about a cowboy I had a really good time with it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
RDR2 and TW3 are the Tarantino movies of gaming.

I understand why they made Alyx a VR game and it looks like a good VR game, but I don't think it's gonna sell systems if only because those headsets require a lot of...everything. poo poo's probably gonna be the future but we're not there yet.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Noted good game theHunter COTW is stupid cheap right now, at six bucks for the base version and just a little more for the extra trophy lodge (the only DLC I'd really recommend for a beginner, and even that is not necessary):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/518790/theHunter_Call_of_the_Wild/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGOTYfGMyoE

And the trailer for one of the latest reserves, just cause I like the music and fits the current cowboyesque conversation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBcjj0bPFBo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Det_no posted:

Noted good game theHunter COTW is stupid cheap right now, at six bucks for the base version and just a little more for the extra trophy lodge (the only DLC I'd really recommend for a beginner, and even that is not necessary):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/518790/theHunter_Call_of_the_Wild/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGOTYfGMyoE

And the trailer for one of the latest reserves, just cause I like the music and fits the current cowboyesque conversation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBcjj0bPFBo

Easily the best hiking simulator ever made, with some deer terminator-ing on the side. I love this game so much.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

That's enough to make me at least try this free week they have going on. If it runs well, I could go for a bit of hunting.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Hah, I can't believe that stuck with people. I am indeed the guy that didn't think Thief was that bad. I am passing on RDR2 for now until I get a better CPU.

Gaming brother - hold off on RDR2 for now. I pre-ordered it for the PS4, and it has some really neat elements, but also some head-scratching ones. I "generally" enjoyed it, but haven't picked it up in a long time.
If you've played San Andreas, did you like to do things like go to the gym and do the mini-games to make your character more buff? When riding a bike, did you like having to press the pedal button constantly? If you hated that sort of stuff, you may not like parts of RDR2. I found some of the controls are very frustrating, and it was way too easy to get a bounty put on you for something the wonky controls made you do by accident (they might have toned this down a bit).

Maybe they've patched it to improve a bunch of that stuff since PS4 launch (or in the PC version), so maybe those problems I encountered are not as bad now.
I sort of summarize the game like this - the "good" is really good, but the "bad" is really bad. It depends on how much of the "bad" you can put up with. Pretty much all of the "bad" was related to the controls, or other weird design decisions.

You might enjoy it quite a bit, but since you and I have similar tastes in games, it might be best to wait for now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RDR2 is a bad game and the story is equally awful. I heavily recommend against it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

Gaming brother - hold off on RDR2 for now. I pre-ordered it for the PS4, and it has some really neat elements, but also some head-scratching ones. I "generally" enjoyed it, but haven't picked it up in a long time.
If you've played San Andreas, did you like to do things like go to the gym and do the mini-games to make your character more buff? When riding a bike, did you like having to press the pedal button constantly? If you hated that sort of stuff, you may not like parts of RDR2. I found some of the controls are very frustrating, and it was way too easy to get a bounty put on you for something the wonky controls made you do by accident (they might have toned this down a bit).

Maybe they've patched it to improve a bunch of that stuff since PS4 launch (or in the PC version), so maybe those problems I encountered are not as bad now.
I sort of summarize the game like this - the "good" is really good, but the "bad" is really bad. It depends on how much of the "bad" you can put up with. Pretty much all of the "bad" was related to the controls, or other weird design decisions.

You might enjoy it quite a bit, but since you and I have similar tastes in games, it might be best to wait for now.

I have a huge tolerance for bad in otherwise good games- like, I’ve been playing weird Eurojank stuff for 20 years. The “bad” in RDR2 blew right past my tolerance for bad and really put me off the game, even though it had elements I liked (the hunting and wilderness stuff was cool!). I think it was because usually, when I’m playing a game with some pretty jacked-up elements, it’s things that they weren’t able to make work. Maybe they didn’t have the resources to get it going properly, or spend time really getting the animations. Maybe there was a concept that seemed cool but they didn’t have the ability to test fully.

RDR2 is not that. They modeled horse scrotums contracting in cold water. They had all the resources they ever could have wanted, and tons of times to get it exactly how they wanted. The stuff that sucks was something someone wanted to be that way.

And why does Rockstar love mashing a button to sprint so drat much? That used to be the default but basically everyone else ditched it for good reason at least a decade ago.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Opened a shutter in Alyx and a zombie stood up on the other side. I slammed the gate shut then got on my stomach and used one hand to partially open the shutter, reached my gun under and into the other room and shot that loving zombie in the god drat face. VR owns.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I had a great time with RDR2 personally, slow animations and restrictive mission design and all.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Det_no posted:

Anything else in the DLC selection you'd recommend while it's on sale? I played this a bit a while back but fell off because new stuff came out though I've been looking for an excuse to get back into it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

explosivo posted:

Anything else in the DLC selection you'd recommend while it's on sale? I played this a bit a while back but fell off because new stuff came out though I've been looking for an excuse to get back into it.

All of the reserve DLC is decent, Savanna is probably the most novel of them and its a good time to jump back in because they did a major re balance of the weapons and scoring system. After the rebalance none of the DLC weapons are huge game changers but they might be worth picking up if they look interesting to you (Some standouts would be the drilling shotgun, the crossbow and the .30-06 is probably the best midtier rifle). Avoid the goose and duck dlc and the 4x4 scares animals at a good distance so you probably won't use them often. Tents are useful as fast travel to good hunting spots of your choosing and the treestands might be of interest if you enjoy that style of hunting(I prefer stalking so I rarely use them).

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 24, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

explosivo posted:

I'd also like to know about DLC, cause I think I'm gonna end up buying this.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i pretty much never double dip on games but i think im going to on shovel knight since i got it on my 3ds years ago before any of the extra stuff was out and now i never use my 3ds anymore.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm really not tuned into the VR stuff (I game on a laptop for one thing), but I am curious: Are there any horror VR games ala Amnesia: The Dark Descent? The ones where you aren't equipped to fight and win, just explore while trying to avoid anything that moves.

I imagine it would be perfect for that kind of experience, although there may be real risk of bodily harm, and probably some warnings about heart conditions (actually I assume VR games already have those).

Even better, add microphone support so monsters hear you if you scream, whimper, etc. :unsmigghh:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is State of Decay 2 worth a look if I'm hankering for the experience of the original, or should I just reinstall Year One and play that again?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Omi no Kami posted:

Is State of Decay 2 worth a look if I'm hankering for the experience of the original, or should I just reinstall Year One and play that again?

The sequel is better than the original in almost every way. If you have the $30 and want to play State of Decay I highly recommend the sequel.

Hub Cat posted:

All of the reserve DLC is decent, Savanna is probably the most novel of them and its a good time to jump back in because they did a major re balance of the weapons and scoring system. After the rebalance none of the DLC weapons are huge game changers but they might be worth picking up if they look interesting to you (Some standouts would be the drilling shotgun, the crossbow and the .30-06 is probably the best midtier rifle). Avoid the goose and duck dlc and the 4x4 scares animals at a good distance so you probably won't use them often. Tents are useful as fast travel to good hunting spots of your choosing and the treestands might be of interest if you enjoy that style of hunting(I prefer stalking so I rarely use them).

Thanks! I might just hold off because I have a feeling I'll play this a bit more and taper off but the price for the Savanna stuff is pretty tempting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Omi no Kami posted:

I put 3 hours into State of Decay 1. Compare with State of Decay 2: 37 hours. (That's two playthroughs on normal difficulty + time in the daybreak dlc + working on a third playthrough on dread difficulty!)

I love love love love it

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

explosivo posted:

ShootaBoy posted:

I'd also like to know about DLC, cause I think I'm gonna end up buying this.

Trophy lodges get a special mention because they let you stuff, pose and display the animals you've bagged. You can see how much you scored for that trophy, make dioramas, show off animals with rare fur patterns/colors etc... For some people that's SUPER important to have in a hunting game but others couldn't care less so that's entirely subjective.

Extra reserves are the easiest buy because each of them is another huge map for you to mess around in. They are all self-contained and each one has its own "storyline" to go through so you can pick whatever you want and ignore the others. I would look at the ones available and get any of them that have a climate or general feel that appeals to you.

Weapon packs are universally all more toys to play with but not vital. They do have stuff that you wouldn't otherwise find in-game, like for example an old-timey bow without a scope and a bunch of reflective lights stuck on it, but the original game has enough weapon variety that it doesn't feel like there's anything missing unless you are hardcore into hunting as a real hobby or the previous theHunter game. The high-tech hunting pack is kind of the exception but I haven't actually used that one. The reviews seem a little mixed about their effectiveness so maybe it's ok.

The duck/goose packs are just if you want to hunt those and otherwise useless. They are neat if you want to construct your own fowl hunting spot and sit there while listening to a podcast or something but they are a pretty different experience to the usual hunting stuff.

The ATVs are pretty poo poo for general use but some reserves have a lot of roads that make them very handy. Vurhonga Savanna, in particular, has massive amounts of flat land and getting around without an ATV takes time so I'd get those if you want the Africa map.

Lastly, the tripod/tree stand, tents and ground blinds are all kind of niche too, with the tents probably being the most useful just so you can make a warp point anywhere. You probably won't need to though until you have a fair amount of hours in the game and actually know which hunting spots would need that kind of sprucing up. The tree stands are pretty cool but, again, you need to have a feel for where to put them up before you can really make use of them and not waste your time.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm really not tuned into the VR stuff (I game on a laptop for one thing), but I am curious: Are there any horror VR games ala Amnesia: The Dark Descent? The ones where you aren't equipped to fight and win, just explore while trying to avoid anything that moves.

I imagine it would be perfect for that kind of experience, although there may be real risk of bodily harm, and probably some warnings about heart conditions (actually I assume VR games already have those).

Even better, add microphone support so monsters hear you if you scream, whimper, etc. :unsmigghh:

PokerStars VR

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

I put 3 hours into State of Decay 1. Compare with State of Decay 2: 37 hours. (That's two playthroughs on normal difficulty + time in the daybreak dlc + working on a third playthrough on dread difficulty!)

I love love love love it

I feel like SoD1 is more interesting in a systems kind of way, but the actual gameplay in SoD2 is so much less janky and genuinely fun to pick up and play that it would really be difficult to recommend 1 over 2 at this point.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did the devs of dustforce ever make another game

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
They were working on http://spiregame.com/ but it's been all *crickets* on that front for a couple of years at least now.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Man, I really like Darkest Dungeon a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Johnny Law posted:

They were working on http://spiregame.com/ but it's been all *crickets* on that front for a couple of years at least now.
oof yeah. mid 2016 was the last update