Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, and an hour isn't really long enough to get a full impression of the game, at all really. I guess it's kinda like playing M&B Warband for an hour, and deciding that you don't like the faction management mechanics, really.

But anyway, out of curiosity how do you all play X4? KB+M, joystick, or a gamepad even? When I played X3TC it was using the joystick (and KB+M for non-flight stuff), so I'm just curious if that'll still be the go-to for X4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will say that X4 is much faster paced than X3, which I think is part of why I'm hesitant to recommend it, if you like the really slow build of X3, then it's a downside. If you found X3 to be a slog, then it's probably an upside. But as noted, X games aren't really combat games, though I do like the combat in X3 a bunch (and X4 is, in some ways, a step back from that in that they removed some of the system complexity, your ships no longer have weapon generators and each gun powers itself, there's also fewer slots per ship so you use far fewer weapons in general and everything is quite tanky, no provision for high risk/reward like you would get flying a split mamba covered with HEPTs/PBEs.

They are, at their core, management games, which X4 does a lot better, but also a lot faster than X3, which in some ways is a shame, because with such a good management system in the game it would be really nice to have longer term goals to play with. X3 had insane poo poo like repairing the xenon hub that would take literal days to complete, but it did it with a horrible jank-rear end system, I would totally enjoy doing that in X4 but X4 doesn't have that level of late game content, not yet at least.

I do like X4 but it is kind of... a space toy more than a space game I think. It needs more long term objectives for the systems in it, some of which are very good, to really come together into a solid game. X3 had some really good objectives but the systems to complete them were in many ways really crap.

I want X4 with X3's plots, content, pacing, and fighter combat, basically :v:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Aww man. One of my best memories was flying around the Normandy from Mass effect with a glasscannon fighter in the hangar and using the Normandy as a tank while I went around blowing things up.

Speaking of flying the Normandy, how is the mod support and community this time around? I remember being able to fly in any sci-fi ship I could think of in x3.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are mods that try to add in more of the X3-ish feel to the guns and there's mods that add some of the Rebirth ships in but again, the game has been out a lot less time than X3, so not much modding has been done, most of it is centered around trying to create more map space and making the AI of the factions and stuff work differently.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It looks like they've taken another half step towards acknowledging that Freespace 2 is the epitome of space combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNDKgieXqE

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

It looks like they've taken another half step towards acknowledging that Freespace 2 is the epitome of space combat [...]
Wow, over 20 years at the top already :v:

But soon Star Citizen will take over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's using modded ships but if you want even better combat the VRO mod really improves the weapons. Much longer range, nicer effects, and more variety in weapon types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ooP-RjtObc

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
While the game does have a content/objective problem - it is amazing how they've made a game where you can walk into your ship, fly out, take a highway and go through a jump gate to a whole other system with zero loading times (or hidden loading screens like Elite Dangerous) and almost no pop-in problems. It's very immersive. I wish Egosoft could get the money rolling in like Star Citizen did, they could do some really cool things.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thom12255 posted:

While the game does have a content/objective problem - it is amazing how they've made a game where you can walk into your ship, fly out, take a highway and go through a jump gate to a whole other system with zero loading times (or hidden loading screens like Elite Dangerous) and almost no pop-in problems. It's very immersive. I wish Egosoft could get the money rolling in like Star Citizen did, they could do some really cool things.

Yeah I know a lot of people don't really care about walking around the stations very much (and honestly I don't think it's that great either), but one of the coolest aspects of the game is when you just walk around the bridge of a cap ship and can watch a whole battle happening outside from that perspective.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I know a lot of people don't really care about walking around the stations very much (and honestly I don't think it's that great either), but one of the coolest aspects of the game is when you just walk around the bridge of a cap ship and can watch a whole battle happening outside from that perspective.

It's stupid, but it's something I had always wanted to do as a kid and I'm glad that it exists. I just wish it was more optional.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
There's a mission in X:Rebirth where you are tasked with a raid on the Argon to get your impounded ship back. You support the attack in your fighter and when it comes time to extract, you are directed to dock at a cap ship.

You dock and the ship starts spooling its jump drive. The other capitals start extracting while Argon reinforcements open fire. You stand in the docking area, explosions and gunfire all around, then from once second to another you are back in DeVries.

I actually remember X:Rebirth fondly. The map is amazing. And some of the missions actually work well. The weapons feel better. The ships are more creative.

Shame about the total lack of enjoyable empire management mechanics.

By the way, here's a dirty secret: Half the things X4 has been praised for actually had their debut in Rebirth.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It looks like they've taken another half step towards acknowledging that Freespace 2 is the epitome of space combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNDKgieXqE

And unlike FS2, weapons fire doesn't seem to illuminate any part of the ship they fire from or hit. X4 seems like it's on the right track but it has a long way to go.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

There's a mission in X:Rebirth where you are tasked with a raid on the Argon to get your impounded ship back. You support the attack in your fighter and when it comes time to extract, you are directed to dock at a cap ship.

You dock and the ship starts spooling its jump drive. The other capitals start extracting while Argon reinforcements open fire. You stand in the docking area, explosions and gunfire all around, then from once second to another you are back in DeVries.

I actually remember X:Rebirth fondly. The map is amazing. And some of the missions actually work well. The weapons feel better. The ships are more creative.

Shame about the total lack of enjoyable empire management mechanics.

By the way, here's a dirty secret: Half the things X4 has been praised for actually had their debut in Rebirth.

Yeah I also actually liked Rebirth a lot more than most people did in the thread, but I do understand the criticisms about it. It was a wonderful test bed for new features for X4 though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasn’t rebirth missing all those features on launch?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It's gonna be awesome when someone makes a Litcube esque mod for X4, specifically the implementation of an end game threat that grows and conquers systems and eats away the galaxy sector by sector, and and you actually have to stop it yourself.

I've never played a single play through of an x game as much as I did my Litcube play through.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Oh yeah it's really impressive, plus also being able to just... teleport across the whole universe with a click, again, no loading and minimal pop in even when you do that. There's some genuinely impressive technical achievements.

hobbesmaster posted:

Wasn’t rebirth missing all those features on launch?

No a lot of the actual technical stuff was laid down in Rebirth from the start, if you play a lot of Rebirth you can very clearly see where it inherits from it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I totally forgot about this game and I haven't played any of the other x games. Does this own?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

It doesn't quite own, but it's Pretty Good.

It requires jank tolerance for sure.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It's gonna be awesome when someone makes a Litcube esque mod for X4, specifically the implementation of an end game threat that grows and conquers systems and eats away the galaxy sector by sector, and and you actually have to stop it yourself.

I've never played a single play through of an x game as much as I did my Litcube play through.

That exists right now in 3.0: its the Xenon, because they are OP compared to the factions. Egosoft has had to put some work into backstops for faction representatives in 3.0, because the Xenon keep blowing up faction home stations and breaking the factions.

The War/Faction system provides a good framework for that sort of thing. It would be relatively easy to mod new threats, or simply to overpower an existing faction

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like they put the xenon locations where they are with the 1.0 thing where they were kind of poo poo and needed to be next door to faction core systems to do anything.

And since they figured out how to take the brakes off the war system in 3.0 they could probably do with moving the xenon a lot further away from the other factions :v:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like they put the xenon locations where they are with the 1.0 thing where they were kind of poo poo and needed to be next door to faction core systems to do anything.

And since they figured out how to take the brakes off the war system in 3.0 they could probably do with moving the xenon a lot further away from the other factions :v:

What was the error in the economy that was causing the war stuff to not work properly?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't played in a while - have they expanded the map at all to include more frontier/dead space zones? That would probably help.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I haven't played in a while - have they expanded the map at all to include more frontier/dead space zones? That would probably help.

It's possible the Expansion will do this but I don't believe we have been given many clues on what the new map will look like. Pretty sure no new systems have been added since release.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah it's really impressive, plus also being able to just... teleport across the whole universe with a click, again, no loading and minimal pop in even when you do that. There's some genuinely impressive technical achievements.

No a lot of the actual technical stuff was laid down in Rebirth from the start, if you play a lot of Rebirth you can very clearly see where it inherits from it.

Also where it was badly applied, but on launch the economy was broken, you couldn’t target anything that wasn’t straight ahead, drones?, and the campaign required some actions that occasionally wouldn’t trigger.

Then there were the unskippable animations, the one ship and not allowing for fighters. Rebirth was horrific on launch, and burned me out for a year before i gave it another try.

Some of the areas were great though, DeVries was very distinctive.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

All of the areas except the starting region were pretty great and destinctive, even the mostly empty xenon sector. Scooting through the clouds and having two K appear directly in front of you was wild. I was incredibly bummed when radiant heaven didn't make it into x4.

Rebirths crippling issue was really the abysmal launch. You couldn't even complete the tutorial because trade ships would always get stuck when doing in-sector trading. The only area that didn't have a crippling bug was just flying around, and even there you'd occasionally get launched into deep space. It took them forever to fix these issues too, the campaign couldn't be completed reliably until almost a full year after launch.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Hav posted:

Also where it was badly applied, but on launch the economy was broken, you couldn’t target anything that wasn’t straight ahead, drones?, and the campaign required some actions that occasionally wouldn’t trigger.

Then there were the unskippable animations, the one ship and not allowing for fighters. Rebirth was horrific on launch, and burned me out for a year before i gave it another try.

Some of the areas were great though, DeVries was very distinctive.

I played rebirth last year and it was in a weird spot where there were things I actually liked but also a lot I missed, I really did like the area design though of both DeVries and the one after that where some of the later areas are actually in the atmosphere of the planet.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Let's not forget X:Rebirth's innovative boob window

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

What was the error in the economy that was causing the war stuff to not work properly?

I don't know if there was one error but they've basically just made the AI much more aggressive, the xenon invade like hell, the other factions will really get up and go to buy up goods and produce ships and send them to die, and that being the foundation of the economy it now has a much stronger sink which you will struggle to fill, especially if you supply both sides in a war.

Thom12255 posted:

It's possible the Expansion will do this but I don't believe we have been given many clues on what the new map will look like. Pretty sure no new systems have been added since release.

3.0 adds a couple new neutral sectors, one in the west, one in the east, one forming a new path for the xenon to go through. But yes large zone expansions are likely to be expansion content for the most part, if it's in at all.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr. Honked posted:

Let's not forget X:Rebirth's innovative boob window

It was a true anomaly in the modding scene where one of the first mods for x:r was one that removed the boob window instead of expanding on it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

About to get locked down so this is looking a lot more tempting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trailer for 3.0/SV coming in a few hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88CFQaqs-xA

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah deffo gonna give this another spin when the xpac comes out. Liked it at launch but recognized it needed a lot of post-launch work, so hopefully this is it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Egosoft PR trying its best as usual.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
I like split ship design. I will be taking it out for a spin once DLC hits. Should be good enough especially since I really appreciate story content.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Probably the wrong place but any of y'all get this working on Linux? Any issues with mods?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Also what was the carrier in that trailer, I don't remember carriers launching fighters like that, have I just not played this in that long?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Mr. Crow posted:

Also what was the carrier in that trailer, I don't remember carriers launching fighters like that, have I just not played this in that long?

It's from the DLC, not sure what it is. All carriers have launch tubes for launching more fighters at a time than their docking pads can accommodate, but they work for launching only.

Stations have launch tubes too, but I'm not sure they actually work.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's from the DLC, not sure what it is. All carriers have launch tubes for launching more fighters at a time than their docking pads can accommodate, but they work for launching only.

Stations have launch tubes too, but I'm not sure they actually work.

I don't think I've ever seen one of my carriers actually use those tubes, but yeah.

Gotta say I'm a little disappointed with that trailer. The new ships were very nice, I liked them a lot, but the rest didn't really seem to be any different than X4 as have now. Opening up lockboxes and data vaults is nothing new. The research screen was just the same thing as before.

That carrier was really cool though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah not the best trailer in the world but I like the new split ship designs and the new effects. Not entirely sure why they put in footage of stuff that's already in the game though.

I did notice like, a giant lockbox though with seemingly eight locks on it, which I think is new?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think I encountered one at launch maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Dang those Split ships look super good, I should really get back into X4 again.