Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

specially trained highly hygienic hug technicians travel from home to home, carefully disinfecting between each interaction inc. brushing their teeth. this position is highly coveted amongst members of the survivor corps

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

biosterous posted:

incredibly minor complaint: all the crunchy peanut butter was sold out today, of every brand. there were several varieties of smooth peanut butter though so i got a jar of that.

i guess i'm complaining that my neighbourhood is full of people with correct peanut butter preferences

ahh. apparently everyone who shops at my grocery store is mad for that smooth poo poo, so I'm all tanked up on crunchy.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Does the motherboard have a built in graphics card? Intel started integrating an hdmi port that accessed the cpu's graphics architecture if I remember right, maybe it's good enough to stream movies?

yeah, but for some reason the on-board graphics won't work. my computer is a little old and I guess it was only a matter of time before things started breaking down, but I wish it had waited just a little bit longer. The worst part of this whole thing is that my son is quarantined at his mom's house so I was hoping we could play videogames together. I'll figure something out.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

yeah, but for some reason the on-board graphics won't work. my computer is a little old and I guess it was only a matter of time before things started breaking down, but I wish it had waited just a little bit longer. The worst part of this whole thing is that my son is quarantined at his mom's house so I was hoping we could play videogames together. I'll figure something out.

I apologize if you've already tried this, but if you get into your system's BIOS you might have to switch on the onboard graphics processor. (it varies from chipset manufacturers but to get into the BIOS usually you have to spam the F1 or F3 key or the DEL key to get into the BIOS menu. Also, older PCs require you to connect the old style PS1 keyboards to get to the BIOS, a USB keyboard will not allow you to get into the system's BIOS).

it should be under the chipset menu

Goons Are Gifts

prepuce repurposed posted:

i just got back from my annual checkup and my doctor seemed genuinely stoked to be living though a real pandemic instead of all these sissy fake ones like swine and bird and h1n1

he said we (americans) are all going to get the virus, and 80% will survive it. after all, that's the only way to build up immunity to it so we're ready for the 2021 wave of corvid

i was shocked by these statements tbh

Yeah those numbers are entirely off by even the most pessimistic estimates experts from the WHO and national health departments predict. There are way more factors in play, a certain part of the population is always entirely immune to a certain pathogen, the virus isn't a god that can magically teleport into everyone's throat either and especially in the numbers game social distancing works fine. Merkel was criticized for using the rather pessimistic number of up to 70% of the population getting infected over the coming year and years and while it's not entirely off (40-70% estimate) that still doesn't nearly add up to "everyone is going to get it".
Not to say that saying 20% will just die out is also completely off. It was said that 81% of those infected develop no or very mild symptoms (but not being entirely immune, nor being not infectious), 14% developing serious symptoms that need medical care of some kind and up to 6% going into critical conditions, mainly due to pre-existing conditions, generally bad health and age.

It is entirely true that the realistic and also pessimistic numbers would overwhelm most national healthcare systems when it comes in all at once (except China maybe, those guys just built 10 hospitals around Wuhan in less than 2 weeks lol) and it might lead up to a lot of people getting into serious trouble, including those dying, but 20% of the entire US population dying is ridiculous and would top any pandemic we had so far. The biology of this virus, given the few things we do know by now, does not justify going this far at all.

Also also, gently caress that guy, he's a dick.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
:haibrow:

xcheopis

Polio is highly contagious. At least 98% of those infected were asymptomatic or had mild to moderate flu-like symptoms. About 1% developed some form of weakness or paralysis. Up to about 10% of that 1% wound up in iron lungs or died.

Don't underestimate an infectious disease.

Areola Grande

raise ur paw if your city is locked down and post whether or not your employer has been deemed :airquote:essential:airquote:

:bang:

essential

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Robot Made of Meat

raise ur paw if your city is locked down and post whether or not your employer has been deemed :airquote:essential:airquote:

:raise:

Pretty much locked down starting tomorrow. The big bosses (of course) think we're essential, but it remains to be seen whether they can convince the government of that.

Either way, I'm likely to survive. I'm in reasonably good health, not QUITE old enough to be overly concerned, and I have no debt and money in the bank. It's scary to think how large a percentage of the population is THIS close to insolvency.

Stay safe, Yobbers. We need all of you!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Goons Are Gifts

xcheopis posted:

Polio is highly contagious. At least 98% of those infected were asymptomatic or had mild to moderate flu-like symptoms. About 1% developed some form of weakness or paralysis. Up to about 10% of that 1% wound up in iron lungs or died.

Don't underestimate an infectious disease.

Entirely true, never underestimate this, being highly contagious always leads to terrible numbers, almost irregardless of the mortality rate, just due to the numbers involved. Even a rate of 0,1% of deaths is dramatic when 50 million people are infected.That's why it's so important to take this seriously despite the seemingly low severity for the by far biggest part of the population.

However note that Polio was endemic before and became an actual epidemic during a time where modern medicine was still something else than it is today and the WHO is actively working on eradicating it entirely in the future, despite small clusters happening around the world sometimes. Finding effective therapy or even a vaccine (like we have for Polio) is absolutely crucial in the fight against this virus and until that has some breakthrough, we have to be careful and reasonable with what we do to give science the time it needs to make this happen.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

:bang:

essential

Non-essential.

Day 0

Home until Apr. 3 by current order

Robot Made of Meat

Slush Garbo posted:

Non-essential.

Day 0

If I'm non-essential, it's at least until April 24.

Areola Grande

Slush Garbo posted:

Non-essential.

Day 0

this sounds like a nice short chill staycation if it rlly only lasts that long :shrug:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I'm a disabled unemployed (for 15 years) Vet so I'm just living another day/week/month at home, my wife on the other hand is freaking out so I'm digging down deep to my inner reserves to keep her afloat because I literally have been training for this for years.

My cats are all acting normal because I'm always home so they leave her alone, and i provide free IT advice for her because that's my thang and I know enough to get poo poo done. I have put out several fires for her to that end.

I have training for this, it's an inconvenience at best for me, a disruption in my daily life.

It will end.

IF we all do our part.

Which is to stay home and not touch things and other people.

I think we can do this, and I think we'll be alright as a whole- I also think the idiotic fools that are treating this lightly will for the most part pay for it, alas- it may not be with their own lives, and for that I grieve deeply for those lost souls who got caught in that foolishness.

I grieve for the lives of those lost and that we will lose because of ignorance, greed, and foolishness.

I long for the unity that may result after all this, that sense of connection that no matter how rich or how poor you are, you are fragile in your mortality, no day is promised to you, and we can ALL work together for a tomorrow that is beautiful and pure and GOOD, filled with promise and hope and optimism for everyone, no matter WHO you are- with no limit to how many tomorrows you have.

We have the power to do this.

The problem is and has always been that if it has a profit, it can't ever be free. Someone has to profit after someone else's suffering. That needs to end.

Not just healthcare, either. We're so close to the verge of human immortality, but in order to get it, human greed demands that there be a profit first. The same holds true for the elusive "free energy". It's there, but it won't ever be released because there's a profit to be made, and those in the most power are those that provide the literal power.

I see a future for humanity that's vivid and lucid and bright, it's right there- just beyond my fingertips. But human greed robs me of that vision, and I hate my own humanity because of it, I hate the greed that robs us all of the best we could be.

I hate this virus.

I'm drunk though, and I don't hurt physically for a change though, so yay me?

We're gonna be alright.

BYOB is a virtual friendship square. :justpost: guys.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

xcheopis

I'm considered essential and can't work from home. It's usually just myself and one or two others, so it's fairly quiet for me.

Robot Made of Meat

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

I'm a disabled unemployed (for 15 years) Vet so I'm just living another day/week/month at home, my wife on the other hand is freaking out so I'm digging down deep to my inner reserves to keep her afloat because I literally have been training for this for years.

My cats are all acting normal because I'm always home so they leave her alone, and i provide free IT advice for her because that's my thang and I know enough to get poo poo done. I have put out several fires for her to that end.

I have training for this, it's an inconvenience at best for me, a disruption in my daily life.

It will end.

IF we all do our part.

Which is to stay home and not touch things and other people.

I think we can do this, and I think we'll be alright as a whole- I also think the idiotic fools that are treating this lightly will for the most part pay for it, alas- it may not be with their own lives, and for that I grieve deeply for those lost souls who got caught in that foolishness.

I grieve for the lives of those lost and that we will lose because of ignorance, greed, and foolishness.

I long for the unity that may result after all this, that sense of connection that no matter how rich or how poor you are, you are fragile in your mortality, no day is promised to you, and we can ALL work together for a tomorrow that is beautiful and pure and GOOD, filled with promise and hope and optimism for everyone, no matter WHO you are- with no limit to how many tomorrows you have.

We have the power to do this.

The problem is and has always been that if it has a profit, it can't ever be free. Someone has to profit after someone else's suffering. That needs to end.

Not just healthcare, either. We're so close to the verge of human immortality, but in order to get it, human greed demands that there be a profit first. The same holds true for the elusive "free energy". It's there, but it won't ever be released because there's a profit to be made, and those in the most power are those that provide the literal power.

I see a future for humanity that's vivid and lucid and bright, it's right there- just beyond my fingertips. But human greed robs me of that vision, and I hate my own humanity because of it, I hate the greed that robs us all of the best we could be.

I hate this virus.

I'm drunk though, and I don't hurt physically for a change though, so yay me?

We're gonna be alright.

BYOB is a virtual friendship square. :justpost: guys.

It's a better world when there are people like you in it, my orb.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Robot Made of Meat posted:

:)

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Areola Grande

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Areola Grande

xcheopis posted:

I'm considered essential and can't work from home. It's usually just myself and one or two others, so it's fairly quiet for me.

I'm doing this too. This place is a total ghost town besides the occasional grocery store hell hive

yet here I am buzzing around town mostly alone in the unstoppable EKANSMOBILE

"WIDE LANES, JERRY! "

xcheopis

I'm doing this too. This place is a total ghost town besides the occasional grocery store hell hive

"WIDE LANES, JERRY! "

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

"WIDE LANES, JERRY! "

Saw a Honda with a snorlax plate the other day and thought of this car

Areola Grande

Slush Garbo posted:

Saw a Honda with a snorlax plate the other day and thought of this car

I will fight that normal mf and then poison them as insult to injury. This snek don't play

Areola Grande

:iiaca:

Areola Grande

Gas/petrol costs only $1.75 US per gallon where I am rn. I keep thinking about that fact. Is it ironic or is it dangerous that even in a lockdown crisis like this it's more affordable than ever for ppl to go on a long LONG road trip

:thunkher: :thunk:... :stare:

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

"WIDE LANES, JERRY! "

powerful

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Goons Are Gifts

did you know that if you read ekans from left to right it makes up the name of a pokemon??

Areola Grande

Lol

Macnult

same with muk

Areola Grande

Macnult posted:

same with muk

google THIS

I'm sure it is highly interesting from a nerdy medical perspective but maybe don't tell ur patients how dope these times are

It was the dopest of times.

It was the wackest of times.

Finger Prince

Hey owlhawk I can't remember but do you have a 3d printer out where you are? I know you were talking about bodging up some ventilators. Maybe this might be of use?
https://opensourceventilator.ie

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

google THIS posted:

Areola Grande

google THIS posted:

Manifisto

man oh man, my hometown (nyc) is really getting hammered. now they're saying that anyone who has left nyc should self-quarantine for 14 days.

I'm not really surprised, I came down with a dry cough more than 3 weeks ago and have been self-quarantining since then. can't say whether what I had was actually the disease in question (testing? lol) but I had enough of the symptoms that I feel reasonably confident I got it. fortunately it was never too bad, although the shortness of breath I got a few times (when I wasn't doing anything to exert myself) was plenty concerning.

stay safe, everyone

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

I know the focus is rightfully on ramping up "do you have it" testing but I really want you see "did you have it" antibody testing come asap

e: i guess it's closer than i thought!
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-idUSKBN21C1KK

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 25, 2020

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

Apparently Idris Elba brought caronavirus to my hometown.

I have a friend who just got back to Japan from the UK so she's been self quarantining. She's been really anxious about it. I understand it but communication with her has gotten sort of exhausting. Although tonight we talked about taking a break from the news cycle to just relax and like draw or play games or something. She's thought she had a fever she didn't have a couple times already.

Goons Are Gifts

It's interesting to hear about you US friends getting into the action now from the European perspective, where we've already been on lockdown for two weeks now. You basically have the same news and problems we had and we probably had the same Asia had two or three weeks prior to us.

There is a slow shift happening here by now, too. At first when just a few events got canceled, no one really bothered, then it more and more stuff closed until school holidays got extended. Then universities went dark on some stuff, then bars and everything got closed, then universities and research facilities went dark. That's when everyone realized it was serious and fear was everywhere. Stuff got even worse, people tried to overcome fear by hanging out together, resulting in discussions about lockdown, three states went into curfew mode, people realized they were being dumb and no one likes curfew, so almost everyone behaved and the cities turned into ghost towns. Federal laws hit, everyone was OK with it.

That was just four days ago and already people are getting fed up with it. Trains are getting full again as employers order back their people, but the fear is still there. It seems like those who took it seriously from the beginning are getting okay-ish with it now, while those who didn't care at first are now scared.

Overall, support for staying at home all the time is slowly dwindling here, it won't take long until people are willing to risk it again. At some point even rising numbers in infections and deaths are not enough to maintain motivation to pull through with what's necessary. Given that we cannot enforce this stuff like China did with sheer brutality, I really wonder how this is going to end over the upcoming three to four weeks.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
The idiots here in the US that were calling the corona virus a hoax and held hoax parties to intentionally break containment rules are now coming down with the virus.

This should be criminal. They should be charged with criminal neglect and attempted murder.

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

It's interesting to hear about you US friends getting into the action now from the European perspective, where we've already been on lockdown for two weeks now. You basically have the same news and problems we had and we probably had the same Asia had two or three weeks prior to us.

There is a slow shift happening here by now, too. At first when just a few events got canceled, no one really bothered, then it more and more stuff closed until school holidays got extended. Then universities went dark on some stuff, then bars and everything got closed, then universities and research facilities went dark. That's when everyone realized it was serious and fear was everywhere. Stuff got even worse, people tried to overcome fear by hanging out together, resulting in discussions about lockdown, three states went into curfew mode, people realized they were being dumb and no one likes curfew, so almost everyone behaved and the cities turned into ghost towns. Federal laws hit, everyone was OK with it.

That was just four days ago and already people are getting fed up with it. Trains are getting full again as employers order back their people, but the fear is still there. It seems like those who took it seriously from the beginning are getting okay-ish with it now, while those who didn't care at first are now scared.

Overall, support for staying at home all the time is slowly dwindling here, it won't take long until people are willing to risk it again. At some point even rising numbers in infections and deaths are not enough to maintain motivation to pull through with what's necessary. Given that we cannot enforce this stuff like China did with sheer brutality, I really wonder how this is going to end over the upcoming three to four weeks.

I think most people are not ready to hear that it will be at least a year before things can be normal-ish again. that's a tough fact, and it is particularly tough for those who are most at risk. I fear you are right that many lower-risk (i.e. younger) people will find it extremely hard to accept such constraints for a long period. the intersection of these issues and politics (specifically demographics) is hugely significant but I'll respect our policies here.

I appreciate alnilam's sharing of the links with respect to antibody tests, I do think that's very important. theoretically it seems like people with positive antibody tests should be able to live under significantly lesser restrictions, but I can't see how that is manageable in western societies. like, can you open restaurants etc. but require proof of a positive antibody test to be allowed in? sounds dystopian.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

It's a similar strategy like trying to infect as many people as possible to make them all immune at once and only lock in those that we actually at risk. Apart from the obvious danger of inevitable breach to those at risk anyways, there are tons of problems with that idea that would also go for, I dunno, hand out wristbands for those that proved to be immune after having antibodies, like people faking, stealing proofs from others, or just abuse the sheer possibility to go out regardless of being allowed to or not.

I guess something along those lines will come true though as it's the only way to keep the economy running if this goes on for too long, but the results might be terrible either way.