Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sad. I actually saw one of those yesterday here in Seattle but I wasn't able to get a pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

The buyer of the my BAT fire truck finally got it picked up for shipping to California. Driver was an idiot, I had to show him how to drive a RHD 5 speed and where the e-brake and lights were and he was 4+ hours late.

All he asked about the top was if it was secure. I told him yes and that there was nothing needing to be done. It was installed tightly and secured well.

Apparently idiot decided to take ratchet straps and strap it down to the maximum pressure over it, causing it to rip open and destroy itself. This is all apparent in photos. The buyer places no blame on me and the truck is sold and it is out of my hands. But the buyer will be pursuing legal action against the transport company.

Thank God I have a regular driver who brings my vehicles from Savannah that I trust 100%. Why this guy would do this to the top is beyond comprehension. I told him nothing needed to be done to the top.

Insanely heinous what the gently caress

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Insanely heinous what the gently caress

Seriously. It's a top already designed to handle being on a truck that can do highway speeds, not a tarp thrown over the bed. Why would it need "help"?

edit: I guess someone gets to find out how much getting a canvas top for a firetruck imported from Japan costs. I'd really like to know how much they get stuck with. I live to see stupidity and incompetence penalized.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

Seriously. It's a top already designed to handle being on a truck that can do highway speeds, not a tarp thrown over the bed. Why would it need "help"?

edit: I guess someone gets to find out how much getting a canvas top for a firetruck imported from Japan costs. I'd really like to know how much they get stuck with. I live to see stupidity and incompetence penalized.

Find a decent marine canvas shop, and I'll bet it's $1200 all told.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Depending on how much the frame was bent by an idiot cranking on a ratchet strap.

This is just a lovely outcome and I'm sorry to see it. Fortunately it all can be fixed.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Motronic posted:

Depending on how much the frame was bent by an idiot cranking on a ratchet strap.

This is just a lovely outcome and I'm sorry to see it. Fortunately it all can be fixed.

Just idiocy. There is no way to say it but this type of driver I have dealt with are rude, late, act like they know everything and are grade A pieces of poo poo. I value my normal driver I found more than I can say. Checking the cars here at the house before I go on vacation, plus I ha e nearly 10 on the way from Japan. My Acty is going live on BAT in a day or two. Next on the hard sell list is an automatic skyline and this 12k actual mile Bluebird 5 speed wagon...

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

sharkytm posted:

drat I want your guy’s number, here in the Land of Entitlement (north SF Bay) that’s probably a $3k+ job.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
God loving drat, and I thought the driver jumping my hiace backwards and then playing dumb was bad....

Jesus.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Big Taint posted:

drat I want your guy’s number, here in the Land of Entitlement (north SF Bay) that’s probably a $3k+ job.

I'm on Cape Cod. Lots of small shops that do good work. If the frame is hosed, that's easily $3000 in damage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

And that's before considering any possible "diminished value" from it not being the original cover.

Which will be impossible to get on something like this.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I'm on Cape Cod. Lots of small shops that do good work. If the frame is hosed, that's easily $3000 in damage.

Same here, if the frame is hosed double it. I’m curious what the material is, it may not be regular Sunbrella-type stuff since it’s expected to be in close proximity to fire, probably heavy waxed canvas? That could pump the price up too. Although replicating that feature may not be important to the current owner other than for originality’s sake.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Big Taint posted:

Same here, if the frame is hosed double it. I’m curious what the material is, it may not be regular Sunbrella-type stuff since it’s expected to be in close proximity to fire, probably heavy waxed canvas? That could pump the price up too. Although replicating that feature may not be important to the current owner other than for originality’s sake.

Oh the current owner wants it all original and that is just not going to happen. He will be pursuing legal action. But super nice guy and he holds me at no fault.

Speaking of which I just had another one go live on BAT, my little 84 Acty....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-honda-acty/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

everdave posted:

The buyer of the my BAT fire truck finally got it picked up for shipping to California. Driver was an idiot, I had to show him how to drive a RHD 5 speed and where the e-brake and lights were and he was 4+ hours late.

All he asked about the top was if it was secure. I told him yes and that there was nothing needing to be done. It was installed tightly and secured well.

Apparently idiot decided to take ratchet straps and strap it down to the maximum pressure over it, causing it to rip open and destroy itself. This is all apparent in photos. The buyer places no blame on me and the truck is sold and it is out of my hands. But the buyer will be pursuing legal action against the transport company.

Thank God I have a regular driver who brings my vehicles from Savannah that I trust 100%. Why this guy would do this to the top is beyond comprehension. I told him nothing needed to be done to the top.

Extremely cursed image. What an rear end in a top hat driver.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
We took delivery of ~5~ cars the other day but I still haven't managed to take pictures of them much, we just dove right into messing with them.

The Rasheen looks weird as hell and grabs people's eyes unlike anything else we've had, including the AZ-1. It is smooth, quiet and really is just a standard, boring commuter car but it looks bananas. Has a big glass panoramic sunroof which owns. It's decently small as the picture with its nose to the Pajero Mini (a real deal kei car) attests.

The Pajero Mini is rad as gently caress. It pops, burbles and turbo whines as you drive it, the shifting is very sports car like with a sharp clutch. The turbo is, no joke, the size of your average clenched fist. Lots of torque but not very long legs. It's worlds ahead of a comparable Jimny in regards to comfort, capability and features. Power windows, power locks, power steering, much quicker and doesn't ride like a tiny old truck on account of it having IFS and being coil sprung.

The Marine Runner Rugger is a Rugger, awesome 5 speed turbo diesel truck with a quite sinister front end. I love Ruggers so I don't have much to say besides "Yeah its another Rugger therefore goddamned awesome"

The Beat is everything people love Honda for, it's a tiny S2000. The feel of everything, the way it shifts (my god is it good), the way it sounds, the complete and utter lack of torque :v:, it's a great car to simple drive. Stereo sounds great too, thanks previous owner!

The Alto Works is ratty, but extremely fast. Braps all day, AWD, turbo whines and blow off valves abound. Replaced the poo poo Momo steering wheel with the good Momo steering wheel and threw new tires on it. It's a Golf R but tiny. AWD turbo hot hatch!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That Rasheen vs Mini is mind blowing! Isn’t have every pictured it like that...

What a haul. Can’t wait to see the 5 wild ones I’ve got coming in soon (excited about my Pajero Mini too)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dang kaker, do you have concrete around your entire house? Perfect for cars, I would love that.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

The Pajero Mini is rad as gently caress. It pops, burbles and turbo whines as you drive it, the shifting is very sports car like with a sharp clutch. The turbo is, no joke, the size of your average clenched fist. Lots of torque but not very long legs. It's worlds ahead of a comparable Jimny in regards to comfort, capability and features. Power windows, power locks, power steering, much quicker and doesn't ride like a tiny old truck on account of it having IFS and being coil sprung.

They are an absolute blast - even the NA one I drove felt like a street-legal gokart.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Dang kaker, do you have concrete around your entire house? Perfect for cars, I would love that.

We do. Driveway moves along the side of the house into the backyard, where half of it is paved between the two buildings. It is good for cars, but I would give it up for an actual garage as we are garageless :negative:

Ethics_Gradient posted:

They are an absolute blast - even the NA one I drove felt like a street-legal gokart.

It's a party at 5 mph.

Sold the Mira RV4, one final picture with our new arrivals. Beat, Alto Works, Mira RV4.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Looks like everdave's Acty sold for $4750.
Seems like a pretty good deal for the buyer. Does that cover your costs, everdave? I hope so.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Looks like everdave's Acty sold for $4750.
Seems like a pretty good deal for the buyer. Does that cover your costs, everdave? I hope so.

They got a steal. But luckily I did make a small profit. Really surprised it didn’t go for 52-5700 but I am not upset at outcome. Thanks for checking in! I think this was a bad day world-wise for the auction to end.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
There is no profit in kei trucks, and that was BEFORE the global economic collapse :v:

Worlds better than a Jimny. Quicker, sounds better, far more comfortable, and better designed. Granted this thing has power steering, power windows and locks so naturally it's just going to be 'better'. 4cyl turbo charged 660cc 5-valve-per-cylinder engine that revs to the goddamned moon at 8k. It's in excellent shape with the exception of two small corrosion spots on the rear door which we knew about, and the terrible condition door panels. Both doors panels are what looks like sun deteriorated. Any scratch on it now shows up. THANKFULLY these things are still available and I have both panels on the way from Japan with replacements for the missing pushpins in the back panel. Came with a period-correct double-din minidisc headunit. Unfortunately the display is wonky and only shows up correctly if you press on the face of it. The minidisc itself sounds like 2000s era pop music, but they are singing in Japanese.
I attempted to paint the wheels and it came out like rear end, so I have the wheels off getting powder coated.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

How much will you be selling that Beat for? I have Alaska Airline miles and could fly to Florida to pick it up...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

There is no profit in kei trucks, and that was BEFORE the global economic collapse :v:

This is definitely generally true. Normal kei trucks are not the way to go to make big money. But I made a nice little profit, learned all about 84 Actys (I have an amazing 84 van coming in a week or two) and the BAT auction went well. If it had went for 5700 I’d be ecstatic. But Kaker is correct you can definitely lose your butt overpaying for one. I got mine at a good price.

Love the Paj pics so so stoked to get mine. I’ve got a crazy combo of vehicles on the boat right now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kensei posted:

How much will you be selling that Beat for? I have Alaska Airline miles and could fly to Florida to pick it up...

Oh you mean this Beat :smugdog:

Should note that none of these have been cleaned yet, just as they arrived off the boat. Peep that intact driver's side bolster in that white tiger upholstery.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Toyota Century Hearse. You want it, you need it.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-27RdI2RPJl51ViX.htm

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

everdave posted:

Love it! It has the same blue interior as my 90 Celica.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

everdave posted:

Lots of business opportunities upcoming with that puppy.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

Lots of business opportunities upcoming with that puppy.

:wow:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

everdave posted:

Note the two bucket seats up front, but auction sheet states it is registered for three occupants

:ghost:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Note the two bucket seats up front, but auction sheet states it is registered for three occupants

:ghost:

Jesus ridin bitch

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

everdave posted:

and this 12k actual mile Bluebird 5 speed wagon...

are we just not gonna talk about this?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

snugglz posted:

are we just not gonna talk about this?

golgo 13 lookin rear end initial d but with balls out german industrial techno instead rear end-car

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
that's the car you buy when you run a bondage cafe in Ginza and all your waitresses wear PVC maid outfits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shut the gently caress up dumbass

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Midjack posted:

shut the gently caress up dumbass

has this, once, ever worked on me?

edit- you know what? nah. have fun being bitter while me and my charlies angels style colleagues try checking our side mirrors with a pirate's spyglass in our extremely not-for-crimes luxury sedan

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 22, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like it worked :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

It's weird looking, 5 speed and AWD. Not as slow as you'd think but definitely not 'sporty'. Drives much smoother than you'd expect. Much smaller than it looks but quite roomy inside, at least for the people sitting up front. The front clip is plastic, hence why the paint is weirdly faded on it vs the rest of the car. The rear most windows are surrounded in the same plastic. Carries the space saver donut on the outside of the car where you don't need to save space. Split hatch, with an L-shaped section that opens upward and a separate tailgate. 14s all the way around. Everyone looks at you, everyone ever. Big sunroof is good, AC works wonderfully. Goddamned oil filter is between the block and the firewall :argh:

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
The split rear hatch is radical

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

that's the car you buy when you run a bondage cafe in Ginza and all your waitresses wear PVC maid outfits.

Roppongi, and I know exactly where that place is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can you open the top of the hatch without moving the spare? You're right it's weird as hell.