Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've read The Stand quite a few times over my life and I still can't believe just how awful Harold is. Couldn't Steve-o have made him at least slightly less horrible or slightly more sympathetic in some way? I'm two thirds of the way through and can't wait for dude to fall down that cliff and die slowly, if I'm remembering right.

I do like how he has the dying realization he was being a tremendous doofus and if he hadn’t been so far up his own rear end he could have been well-liked and respected in Boulder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do like how he has the dying realization he was being a tremendous doofus and if he hadn’t been so far up his own rear end he could have been well-liked and respected in Boulder.

But he did end up doing butt sex with crazy chick. Pretty good trade-off imo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Zombie Guy posted:

But he did end up doing butt sex with crazy chick. Pretty good trade-off imo.

I guess he wasn’t just up his own rear end, was he?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So much of Harold reminds me of a bunch of our bumper crop of mass shooters of the last 15 years. The brittle self righteousness, the sense of victimhood, the desire for revenge, all the writing. Rage gets the flack because it's about violence in a school setting but The Stand might have actually been more prophetic. Think about Harold in the internet age. Ugh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I guess he wasn’t just up his own rear end, was he?

Also lol.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

So much of Harold reminds me of a bunch of our bumper crop of mass shooters of the last 15 years. The brittle self righteousness, the sense of victimhood, the desire for revenge, all the writing. Rage gets the flack because it's about violence in a school setting but The Stand might have actually been more prophetic. Think about Harold in the internet age. Ugh.

Capt'n Trips never happens and Harold 100% shoots up a school or college. He was angry and bitter because of his lovely life, but then all of his tormentors are gone and his life improves and he's still angry and bitter. The need for revenge isn't a symptom of his disorder, it is his disorder.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
A couple days back I noticed Julliane Nicholson was in The Outsider.

She was great in Law and Order: Criminal Intent with Vincent D'Onofrio.

Nicholson was also in a miniseries I love called Storm of the Century.

Who is your favorite obscure actor in a Stephen King joint?

There are a lot of funny ones from Rose Red. If your name is is Kevin Tighe you can't post.

Also if you're Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I haven’t seen it in a while, but I remember hating Rose Red. A lot of the performances were cartoonish and the effects in certain scenes were almost on the level of the Langoliers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Who is your favorite obscure actor in a Stephen King joint?

I’m not sure if you’d call him obscure, but I had to go look up his name - William Sadler.

And here he is reprising his most famous role in the new Bill & Ted movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’m not sure if you’d call him obscure, but I had to go look up his name - William Sadler.

And here he is reprising his most famous role in the new Bill & Ted movie.

Man, was there anyone in Shawshank that wasn't perfectly cast? I know it's been popular long enough that it's got that backlash going on but I will never not stop what I'm doing and watch that movie if I see it playing.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I know it's been popular long enough that it's got that backlash going on but I will never not stop what I'm doing and watch that movie if I see it playing.

Backlash? News to me.

I'll stop to watch it as well, but then I'll get pissed off at the edits and watch the whole thing again from the media server.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Man, was there anyone in Shawshank that wasn't perfectly cast? I know it's been popular long enough that it's got that backlash going on but I will never not stop what I'm doing and watch that movie if I see it playing.

What backlash? It's widely regarded as one of the top 10 or 20 movies of all time and everyone I know loves it to death.

Including myself. It's fantastic.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's a certain sort of serious film type that looks down their nose at it for whatever reason. I think it boils down to that urge some people have to dislike popular things simply because they're popular.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I make it a point that, when someone doesn’t like The Shawshank Redemption, I kick them straight in the dick

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've always been fascinated at the enduring popularity if Shawshank - not that it's undeserved. It is one of those great male love stories - i refuse to use a certain term - that is somehow utterly universal. Always reminded me a bit of Midnight Cowboy in that sense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When it first came I out I was in college and I'd leave work and drop into the school cinema every day to kill time before my first night class began. But Shawshank was such a long movie that I always came in about 1/3rd the way through and didn't see the first 30 minutes for years.

And amazingly enough, the film still works even if you cut out a big chunk of the primary plot. I think it's because there are so many subplots going on with Andy and Brooks and even the warden. It's a lot of story for a novella.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

When it first came I out I was in college and I'd leave work and drop into the school cinema every day to kill time before my first night class began. But Shawshank was such a long movie that I always came in about 1/3rd the way through and didn't see the first 30 minutes for years.

And amazingly enough, the film still works even if you cut out a big chunk of the primary plot. I think it's because there are so many subplots going on with Andy and Brooks and even the warden. It's a lot of story for a novella.

It’s kind of amazing how many people didn’t see the beginning of the movie for ages. I think a part of that is because it was always playing on TBS so people would just be flipping through, see it was on, and then get sucked into watching it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, a lot of people remember the movie starting with Red and the crew betting on who would crack on their first night, and completely forget that there's a courtroom scene at the beginning.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, a lot of people remember the movie starting with Red and the crew betting on who would crack on their first night, and completely forget that there's a courtroom scene at the beginning.

Which might also be a part of why so many people don’t realize it’s based on a book (well, novella) at all, let alone a Stephen King one. Totally missed the title cards. Between that, the fact it’s not what people expect when they hear Stephen King, and the fact it was in one of his less-well known novella collections, it all makes a lot of sense.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Tried to watch the Pet Sematary remake, and boy it is shockingly bad. Just a mess. They didn’t even get Judd right.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Which might also be a part of why so many people don’t realize it’s based on a book (well, novella) at all, let alone a Stephen King one. Totally missed the title cards. Between that, the fact it’s not what people expect when they hear Stephen King, and the fact it was in one of his less-well known novella collections, it all makes a lot of sense.

Similarly, there are plenty of people that still don't realize or remember that Stand By me is a Stephen King adaptation. This one is compounded by the title change.

Who are the best King directors? I'd say they had to make two or more films. So Carpenter, Darabont, Reiner, perhaps Romero?

If anyone mentions Mick Garris I'll join a club and beat them with it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think Reiner captured how King writes kids better than Muschietti with IT, although both left out the gang bang scenes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think Reiner captured how King writes kids better than Muschietti with IT, although both left out the gang bang scenes.

...was there a gang bang scene in the Body that I somehow completely forgot?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

...was there a gang bang scene in the Body that I somehow completely forgot?

No, but now you can't stop thinking what one would look like.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And here I thought we were friends...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Similarly, there are plenty of people that still don't realize or remember that Stand By me is a Stephen King adaptation. This one is compounded by the title change.

Who are the best King directors? I'd say they had to make two or more films. So Carpenter, Darabont, Reiner, perhaps Romero?

King himself

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Didn’t Romero direct the Dark Half? That should pretty much disqualify him. Yeah, he was hamstrung by weak source material but that movie was awful, and not in the way I like my horror movies to be awful.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Didn’t Romero direct the Dark Half? That should pretty much disqualify him. Yeah, he was hamstrung by weak source material but that movie was awful, and not in the way I like my horror movies to be awful.

Yeah, but Romero directed Creepshow, which is why I included him as a "perhaps"

I loving loved Maximum Overdrive as a kid. I've watched it recently as well as reading his comments about the movie and it somehow takes how delightfully insane and terrible it is and elevates it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Carpenter only did Christine and some pre-production work on Firestarter, right?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

What's the best place to find contemporaneous literary reviews and criticism of King's work? I feel like my perspective on him is always going to be skewed because by the time I was reading his stuff as a kid in the 90s he was a household name and you always knew what you were gonna get with his stuff.

Given that he was so prolific and popular throughout the 70s and 80s I'm curious to get some sense of the response to his work as it was entering the popular culture but before he was established as this king among authors.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Yeah, but Romero directed Creepshow, which is why I included him as a "perhaps"

I loving loved Maximum Overdrive as a kid. I've watched it recently as well as reading his comments about the movie and it somehow takes how delightfully insane and terrible it is and elevates it.

i think about it probably once a week.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Mike Flanagan

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is The Mist tv series worth watching?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Nope.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Think the Mist, but with magic.

It's horrid.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Carpenter only did Christine and some pre-production work on Firestarter, right?

He did In The Mouth of Madness which is just a Lovecraft story featuring Stephen King with the serial numbers filed off.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know what else I thought Carpenter did of his, but you're right, that's his only King film. So he'd be in the group with Kubrick.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not mad company to be in. Honestly as much as I like Carpenter, Christine's far from his best work and it's not really top-tier King either. It's a fun b movie, but doesn't love up to the best that either could do, particularly since Carpenter didn't really have any interest in making it.

Carpenter and Kubrick were maybe the best directors to make movies from Stephen King stories, but Darabont is probably the only director to I think consistently understand what works from King and to adapt it in a way that's fairly faithful to the original vision while also elevating it.

It's certainly not a great movie but 1408 is a fun little adaptation that really manages to still feel like King.

Untrustable posted:

He did In The Mouth of Madness which is just a Lovecraft story featuring Stephen King with the serial numbers filed off.

"Basing your character off of Stephen King" is only a for of adapting Stephen King in a really pedantic way

edit: kubrick managed to base the main character off of him while also adapting one of his books, and not even one where he shows up as a character!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of directors and Stephen King movies, the only part of Cell I enjoyed was the three seconds where I was like “holy poo poo was that Loyd Kaufman in the airport chaos scene?”, verifying that it was on IMDB, and going back to enduring that turd. I didn’t even make it half way, that movie sucked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I like Christine and Cujo more than most here (the movies and the ) and would like to have seen Carpenter take another shot at a King script even though I can't think of one offhand that lends itself to his style. Trying to think of a King adaptation that would have benefited from what Carpenter does, preferably one that sucks. First one I thought of was The Mist but I liked that movie so...

Maybe Pet Semetary, Children of the Corn, Silver Bullet, Graveyard Shift and even Firestarter I can all see benefiting from Carpenter's direction.

Best King director is Rob Reiner.