Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

EorayMel posted:

The only goon I remember even making any remarkable success directly from bitcoins other than Divabot writing books on why they suck and selling them was Emoji making enough for a Nintendo Switch and a few games with captured screenshots of actual exchange withdrawal screens and maybe Adar.
There was a goon Freemason jeweler who made money selling gems to bitcoiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Gobbeldygook posted:

There was a goon Freemason jeweler who made money selling gems to bitcoiners.

That actually sounds kickass

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Pretty sure there are a fair number of goons who made out decently with bitcoin from the early days. The common theme was that they actually sold the bitcoins for real money.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EorayMel posted:

The only goon I remember even making any remarkable success directly from bitcoins other than Divabot writing books on why they suck and selling them was Emoji making enough for a Nintendo Switch and a few games with captured screenshots of actual exchange withdrawal screens and maybe Adar.

It's pretty telling that pretty much every other goon touching the poop or reasonable facsimiles thereof in fleetwood's case all expectedly stunk to high heavens despite everything telling them not to, including but not limited to ghostty, comfy fleece sweater, my linux rig, maybe ham sandwiches and probably seraph84 and aaro (:barf:) just to name a few off the top of my head and look at what happened to them.
Thanks; I couldn't remember why I had ham sandwiches on Ignore because he seemed reasonably sane in the games threads I frequent.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

CampingCarl posted:

Pretty sure there are a fair number of goons who made out decently with bitcoin from the early days. The common theme was that they actually sold the bitcoins for real money.
There were a number of successful goon miners back in the days when GPU mining worked. One goon posted pictures of his huge warehouse mining operation in the last year or two, I want to say it was Marksman?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
That revisionist history ain't even true. When bitcoin hit its first $30 spike at least one goon was actually quite busy, directly and single-handedly causing bitcoin's first big crash by making a single post on their forum

"BITCOIN IS CRASHING SELL SELL SELL"

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ad by Khad posted:

That revisionist history ain't even true. When bitcoin hit its first $30 spike at least one goon was actually quite busy, directly and single-handedly causing bitcoin's first big crash by making a single post on their forum

I love that guy

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

EorayMel posted:

It's pretty telling that pretty much every other goon touching the poop or reasonable facsimiles thereof in fleetwood's case all expectedly stunk to high heavens despite everything telling them not to, including but not limited to ghostty, comfy fleece sweater, my linux rig, maybe ham sandwiches and probably seraph84 and aaro (:barf:) just to name a few off the top of my head and look at what happened to them.
I think those people were all before my time here, what happened to them?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

seraph spent more money on SA accounts than you did on bitcoin

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

EorayMel posted:

i made a lot of money trading cryptocurrency in 2017 and 2018

it got lovely to trade crypto in 2018 so i switched to trading stocks and futures

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

EorayMel posted:

The only goon I remember even making any remarkable success directly from bitcoins other than Divabot...

dont forget that guy who made the buttcoin blog mocking everything and then butterfly labs bought it from him for five digits of real united states dollars to turn it into another shill platform. that dude did alright.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
apparently the only thing better than selling shovels during a gold rush is selling your popular website to the nerds selling the shovels.

(before they all get charged with fraud)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Uranium 235 posted:

i made a lot of money trading cryptocurrency in 2017 and 2018

it got lovely to trade crypto in 2018 so i switched to trading stocks and futures
You left out your avg. price in 2017 and sell price in 2018 :xd:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

The cosbycoin hack was extremely successful as well

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whatever happened to all those HI-LARRY-OS comedy coins like Dogecoin and Coinye? I imagine someone might've been able to turn a modest profit in the early meme phase before they inevitably burned out. (They inevitably burned out, right? Lord, if any group could drive decade-old memes into the ground and claim they're still fresh...)

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpanky posted:

Whatever happened to all those HI-LARRY-OS comedy coins like Dogecoin and Coinye? I imagine someone might've been able to turn a modest profit in the early meme phase before they inevitably burned out. (They inevitably burned out, right? Lord, if any group could drive decade-old memes into the ground and claim they're still fresh...)

dogecoin still very much exists and has value(????)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

You left out your avg. price in 2017 and sell price in 2018 :xd:

i made thousands of trades that usually lasted a few minutes to a few hours

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

On this subject does anybody still have that cosbycoin/farting and grunting transaction tracker where any transaction was made played a voiceclip of bill cosby or made a farting noise as a coin slowly floated from the bottom to the top of the screen? I think the exchange it was tied to died but that was one of my fondest bitcoin memories for some reason :smith:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
In a better timeline, schools would teach the poo poo out of price=\=value.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

EorayMel posted:

On this subject does anybody still have that cosbycoin/farting and grunting transaction tracker where any transaction was made played a voiceclip of bill cosby or made a farting noise as a coin slowly floated from the bottom to the top of the screen? I think the exchange it was tied to died but that was one of my fondest bitcoin memories for some reason :smith:

Mirror that mostly works here: http://buttcoin.club/

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Crust First posted:

Mirror that mostly works here: http://buttcoin.club/

:bisonyes:

God Emporer Seraph
Mar 25, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ad by Khad posted:

seraph spent more money on SA accounts than you did on bitcoin
You may note that he failed to mention how I could afford to purchase over 30 forum accounts.

I spent $62,400 on Bitcoin in the fall of 2013. At the time, the price + 5% markup for the in-person anonymous trade cost me $255 and change per BTC.

I'm now 35 and retired. Next time someone asks what became of a Bitcoiner, try and be honest.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Lurking on a forum, seething at people that don’t like internet pogs just waiting to do a sneak attack critical takedown post.

Lmao

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

God Emporer Seraph posted:

I'm now 35 and retired.

the term is "unemployed"

God Emporer Seraph
Mar 25, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speak only when spoken to, Betagoons.

God Emporer Seraph
Mar 25, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NtotheTC posted:

the term is "unemployed"
Not according to how the government counts unemployed. I am what they call "outside of labor participation".

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Not according to how the government counts unemployed. I am what they call "outside of labor participation".

my apologies, the term is "under house arrest"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The "i retired off bitcoin" is my favorite nerd fantasy lie. I really gets a chuckle out of me every time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i guess if you pull an ulbricht and are in jail for life that's sort of like retiring off bitcoins

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i'm 35 and retired off a $65k investment!

please do not ask for specifics about how much money i currently have, or how i define retired, thanks

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

You may note that he failed to mention how I could afford to purchase over 30 forum accounts.

I spent $62,400 on Bitcoin in the fall of 2013. At the time, the price + 5% markup for the in-person anonymous trade cost me $255 and change per BTC.

I'm now 35 and retired. Next time someone asks what became of a Bitcoiner, try and be honest.
Put up or shut up. Blockchain proof or you've got nothing.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Dewgy posted:

i'm 35 and retired off a $65k investment!

please do not ask for specifics about how much money i currently have, or how i define retired, thanks

I know he's a terrible troll but lets for a moment assume, for shits and giggles, he cashed out at $10,000 a coin somehow (he didn't because he's got brain worms, but for the sake of argument lets assume), for the entire amount, you are looking at about $2.4 million.
Assuming a 5% fee from the exchanges, and looking at a capital gains tax calculator I'm seeing $120,000 in withdrawal fees and about $800,000 in taxes.

This leaves him with 1.6 million which, assuming he lives to 85, is $32,000 a year. We'll be generous here and say that despite being a bitcoiner and therefore supposedly against banks and government in general, that he is also a hypocrite and invests that into a return that keeps pace with inflation so his spending power remains constant each year.

Not bad I guess but it would mean he's not living anywhere fancy or doing much beyond basic hobbies and limited travel, and certainly isn't enough to be mindlessly blowing hundreds of dollars on SA accounts to prove how brain damaged he is.

God Emporer Seraph
Mar 25, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Put up or shut up. Blockchain proof or you've got nothing.
As you wish. Here's your proof:

[spoiler][img]htt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

As you wish. Here's your proof:

spoiler tags don't stop images from loading! :haw:

well, i'm convinced

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
How else could be afford that ring?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
awwww, widdwe babby angy

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Posting goatee like a commoner

Double lmao

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Isn't this the same dude who claimed to be super rich like six years ago and it turned out he was a bicycle courier in NYC and was flat broke?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I am also 34 and retired, and as a result me posting in certain parts of games at all gets me yelled at because I play videogames sometimes 150 hours a week

That kind of gaming is still less of a stench than retiring via bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Ad by Khad posted:

I am also 34 and retired, and as a result me posting in certain parts of games at all gets me yelled at because I play videogames sometimes 150 hours a week

That kind of gaming is still less of a stench than retiring via bitcoin

I question your assertion that 21 hours of gaming every day doesn't produce a stench identical to a Bitcoinboi