Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

I want on demand passthrough so bad

It's interesting they aren't using any real buttons combination, but a 'virtual' button, tapping the headset. That was how the flashlight worked on Lone Echo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Everyone is playing Alyx, but a new batch of games is coming to Quest, too:

The Room VR: March 26th
B-Team: March 26th
Down the Rabbit Hole: March 26th
List Beneath: March 31st

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Room has been a fun little series. I'm hyped for their VR take on puzzles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Room has been a fun little series. I'm hyped for their VR take on puzzles.

I'd really love to see a VR version of their first three games, even if it's just Teleporting between hotspots around the puzzle rooms to fiddle with them.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Does anyone know if The Room is cross-buy? I'd like to fiddle with it on Quest but not enough to buy it twice. Store page isn't giving anything away at the moment.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tip posted:

I did this was and disappointed that you can't fill the bucket all the way, after it gets about half full grenades just start disappearing.

Also, at one point I stood there filling a bucket for a couple minutes, and then I looked away, looked back and my whole bucket was gone. Not a trace of my bucket or grenades.

I think you can have more than the 6 or 7 if you pull them from a second plant. The area I recorded that video has 2 of the grenade plants, and I think i was about to get about 10 in the bucket.

But...

When I carried the bucket in to the next map-load-area, all of the grenades became welded to the bucket and where no longer separate physics objects. I could no longer take them out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm looking to get into VR and the opening post is super-loving-good and you should get a commission on that seriously. Okay so actual question: I want a VR headset because Alyx finally tipped the scales and I'm quarantined like a loving dumbass because old people coughed on me.

Am I correct in thinking that if I 100% never want to take my headset anywhere, my PC is big and beefy enough, and to be frank I just want a goddamn VR headset now and not wait months for retailers to resupply, the Rift S is perfectly fine? There's no weird loving edge case where the Quest will massively outperform it?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rift S sounds like a perfect fit for you. I've got both and find myself using the S most often. Quest primarily gets used when I have people over to share it with.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks man, appreciate it. My only other question is really a generic one that I guess is hard to answer: Once I've played through the big "must-play" games from the OP is there still a bunch of other decent/interesting stuff out there? Or is it still the case that outside of the very few good VR games the rest are kind of overpriced tech demos?

I'm inches away from hitting "complete order" and my only one real fear is playing Alyx/Boneworks/etc and then just having a chunk of expensive tech gathering dust.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
There are tonnes of good vr games, I got a vive a year n a half ago and was surprised then at how much stuff there was. Yeah, there's a lot of shovelware around but I've got hundreds of hours in beatsaber alone. I've since upgraded to a Rift S and haven't regretted a thing. Pistol Whip is amazing, and if it's not in the op The Technician is an underrated gem of a puzzle game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pierson posted:

Thanks man, appreciate it. My only other question is really a generic one that I guess is hard to answer: Once I've played through the big "must-play" games from the OP is there still a bunch of other decent/interesting stuff out there? Or is it still the case that outside of the very few good VR games the rest are kind of overpriced tech demos?

I'm inches away from hitting "complete order" and my only one real fear is playing Alyx/Boneworks/etc and then just having a chunk of expensive tech gathering dust.

There are shitloads of little things man that are really cool, for example Google Earth seems like a 'meh' but it's just insanely cool, Big Screen VR, watching films in a virtual cinema, then stuff like Rec Room which is stupid good fun, all these will keep you entertained for hours.

There is a ton of free stuff on the oculus store, little experiences and all are worth a look at.
I have a Titanic VR thing that is (to me) incredible, and there is lots like that out there to be had, small experiences, space tours, IIS experience - Just loads to get stuck into

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm also going to grab a Rift S, on Friday when I get paid and have no transport costs thanks to isolation. What's the current situation with playing games with 3D display modes through VR? Sonic Generations has a mode for 3D monitors and you bet your rear end I want to rush through Rooftop Run and vomit at the speed of sound.

[edit] I don't really, it seems like an insanely bad idea, but there's probably a few games like this that I can try.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 25, 2020

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I will probably end up asking more stupid questions when my Rift arrives but it all sounds really cool so far. I've slept on VR for years due to dumb meme poo poo but it sounds like the scene really advanced while I ignored it and I'm super-excited.

I'm gonna grab Alyx and Blade+Sorcery to start with for single-player, do people have a recommendation for which MP shooter to go for?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 25, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Classroom teleconferencing getting weird.

https://i.imgur.com/KLxuafl.mp4

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

uiruki posted:

Does anyone know if The Room is cross-buy? I'd like to fiddle with it on Quest but not enough to buy it twice. Store page isn't giving anything away at the moment.

You are in luck

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pierson posted:

I will probably end up asking more stupid questions when my Rift arrives but it all sounds really cool so far. I've slept on VR for years due to dumb meme poo poo but it sounds like the scene really advanced while I ignored it and I'm super-excited.

I'm gonna grab Alyx and Blade+Sorcery to start with for single-player, do people have a recommendation for which MP shooter to go for?

Pavlov is 'CS in VR' and it's one of the most popular games in SteamVR, Recroom is a f2p game in every platform and offers a wide range of 'mp experiences'.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pierson posted:

be warned that blade and sorcery is very much one of the worst offenders in the "VR tech demos" category.
if you don't want just a medieval combat sandbox with a few different levels and a few mods that add more weapons you're going to be very disappointed.
i felt like id seen everything there was in half an hour when i initially bought it, and then refunded it.
bought it again recently just because i had a melee vr combat itch, but it hasn't changed very much at all. it's a very simple "game"

consider getting TWD instead for singleplayer

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This is my Quest list, several of the good ones are also in other platforms

Good

Beat Saber
Fisherman Tale
Gadgeteer
Moss
Eleven Table Tennis
Shadow Point
SuperHot
Virtual Virtual Reality
The Dark Room

Decent

Angry Birds
Box VR (not really a game, more an exercise app)
Dance Central
Dreadhalls
I Expect You To Die
Pistol Whip
Racket Fury
Red Matter
Robo Recall
Synth Riders
The Under Presents
Ultrawings (I haven't played a lot, only game that got me queasy)
Vacation Simulator
The Climb

Mediocre

Apex Construct
Arizona Sunshine
Journey of the Gods
Ballista
The Curious Case of Stolen Pets
Space Pirate Trainer
Accounting+
Audica (It's a solid product that didn't click with me at all)
Ghost Giant
Job Simulator
Racket NX
Vader Immortal

And Pc stuff:

HL Alyx obviously
Lone Echo
Walking Dead S&S
H3VR
Blade & Sorcery in a year

Mmm I still have to try a racing PC game in VR!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 11, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Quest ports of Quake, Quake 2 and Half Life are pretty great too and easily worth it if you have any nostalgia for those games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Classroom teleconferencing getting weird.

https://i.imgur.com/KLxuafl.mp4

You can watch the whole thing here it’s very :3:

https://youtu.be/_T2-9MwA5JI

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Joe review surprised me in that the thee guys had issues with the Index and having VR-sickness, they had to continue with the Rift S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWayXQq1rtY

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm loving HL Alyx despite its obvious case of early vr mechanics. But man the presentation and atmosphere is so good :swoon: Sections that would be a boring zoom though in a flat fps become interesting areas to explore in vr. Even just looking in containers etc for resin and ammo is more interesting because of the sense of place it gives you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm loving HL Alyx despite its obvious case of early vr mechanics. But man the presentation and atmosphere is so good :swoon: Sections that would be a boring zoom though in a flat fps become interesting areas to explore in vr. Even just looking in containers etc for resin and ammo is more interesting because of the sense of place it gives you.

This is what's so weird to me about their focus on the teleportation mechanic, I'm intentionally using smooth loco because everything looks so fantastic and it's way better for getting a sense of the space as you're moving around, but if I die or want to backtrack I get lazy and just start spamming teleport and everything zooms by and it's like it's barely even there

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not used VR before, so I apologize for the dumb question.

With the Valve Index, do the controllers connect wirelessly to the headset, which then connects back to the computer via USB? And the base stations in a similar fashion?

I don't really have space to do a room scale VR setup, but we do have an extra bedroom we don't really use and could be repurposed and I could run some cables through the wall...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They must, because my computer itself has no wireless capabilities (bluetooth, wifi, etc.) and yet it works.

Except as far as I know, the lighthouses require no data connection at all for normal operation, they're just spraying an invisible laser grid or something out there and the headset watches it, I think? For updates, though, that works wirelessly, and must also be going through the headset or something.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

With the Valve Index, do the controllers connect wirelessly to the headset, which then connects back to the computer via USB? And the base stations in a similar fashion?

yes, USB+video(displayport?)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There was a point where I encountered an intact window, but there was a small opening underneath. I assumed it wanted me to crawl through there, so down I went flat as a pancake. I couldn't stick loco my way through it, so I started crawling. It worked! I was through to the other side!

I got up, took another look at the glass and sighed, smashing through the glass with my pistol.
The game really does deserve to be played room scale.

e: Oops meant for the HL thread!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Could Valve fix the lovely SteamVR and make it so it won't need a restart if you disconnect the cable by accident momentarily in the middle of the action? Because the big issue is how the games that are runing close when SteamVR close too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Turin Turambar posted:

Angry Joe review surprised me in that the thee guys had issues with the Index and having VR-sickness, they had to continue with the Rift S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWayXQq1rtY
Seems they were sitting most of it, tho. I can't stand it either, if the graphics are at standing height while I'm sitting. Not to the tune of actual sickness, tho.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Explorer posted:

Not used VR before, so I apologize for the dumb question.

I don't really have space to do a room scale VR setup, but we do have an extra bedroom we don't really use and could be repurposed and I could run some cables through the wall...

Yes, the base stations only need to be plugged into power and not the computer, and the controllers communicate to the headset which then talks to the computer.

Bad Munki posted:

They must, because my computer itself has no wireless capabilities (bluetooth, wifi, etc.) and yet it works.

Except as far as I know, the lighthouses require no data connection at all for normal operation, they're just spraying an invisible laser grid or something out there and the headset watches it, I think? For updates, though, that works wirelessly, and must also be going through the headset or something.

And yeah, technically the base stations aren't even really communicating but just creating a system the headset can use to figure out where it is.

But also technically technically the headset can wirelessly talk to the base stations to tell them to turn on or turn off, so there's that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the quick responses. :)

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I can't get over how insane the graphics are in Alyx. Looking up and seeing light diffuse through the skin of a barnacle was a holy poo poo moment for me. I love everything about this game, I just hope it doesn't ruin the rest of my VR library by comparison. It's like a multigenerational graphics leap and world's beyond anything other VR game I've played narratively.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Is Oculus Link basically impossible to use for anyone else? For the life of me I cannot get the Oculus PC software to connect to my Quest. I did manage to do it twice in the last couple days, allowing me to play a few hours of Alyx, but not since yesterday morning.

Every time I try to enable Oculus Link, my Quest display turns black for a second, then pops me back to the Quest home screen.

The two times I’ve gotten it to work were just by sitting there hitting the “enable Oculus Link” button over and over again, but that has stopped working.

I’ve tried restarting the headset and my computer, I reinstalled the Oculus PC software, did a factory reset of the Quest, turned beta modes on and off on both. Nothing is doing it.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Rubber Slug posted:

Is Oculus Link basically impossible to use for anyone else? For the life of me I cannot get the Oculus PC software to connect to my Quest...

What does the Oculus app say when you are hooked up (Device section)? Does the app see the headset at all on the PC side? Sometimes the Oculus app will update (or the headset will if you are in the public beta channel) and cause version mismatches.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rubber Slug posted:

Is Oculus Link basically impossible to use for anyone else? For the life of me I cannot get the Oculus PC software to connect to my Quest. I did manage to do it twice in the last couple days, allowing me to play a few hours of Alyx, but not since yesterday morning.

Every time I try to enable Oculus Link, my Quest display turns black for a second, then pops me back to the Quest home screen.

The two times I’ve gotten it to work were just by sitting there hitting the “enable Oculus Link” button over and over again, but that has stopped working.

I’ve tried restarting the headset and my computer, I reinstalled the Oculus PC software, did a factory reset of the Quest, turned beta modes on and off on both. Nothing is doing it.

It sounds like your cables are probably borderline, I have those issues with certain cables and then with others it's perfect every time. Are you using an extension? If you try without it, does it work?

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

BunLengthHotDog posted:

What does the Oculus app say when you are hooked up (Device section)? Does the app see the headset at all on the PC side? Sometimes the Oculus app will update (or the headset will if you are in the public beta channel) and cause version mismatches.

It recognizes that the Quest is connected, but thinks the controllers are off.

The Oculus PC software is version 14.0.0.170.710 and the Quest is 204361943.

Lemming posted:

It sounds like your cables are probably borderline, I have those issues with certain cables and then with others it's perfect every time. Are you using an extension? If you try without it, does it work?

Same issue without the extension. I’m using the cable setup recommended on Cas and Chary’s video (6ft Anker + 16ft extension).

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 25, 2020

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
The hotel area and the new enemy in it are amazing. The vent stuff is great. I did crash the game shooting the grenade laucher using the alien grenade though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So the oculus store is just capital-W Weird, right? I think I bought one but it's impossible to tell. I have an order number and everything but my card (via Paypal) hasn't been charged. But it doesn't say out of stock so I assume they have some in? And it took like five or six tries just to make an account and link a card. For dropping so much money all at once it makes me a little nervous.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

Rubber Slug posted:

It recognizes that the Quest is connected, but thinks the controllers are off.

The Oculus PC software is version 14.0.0.170.710 and the Quest is 204361943.

Usually there is a message in red text somewhere about updating your headset in the Oculus PC app (which could actually be a downgrade) to match versions. Your issue may not be mismatch related, just something to check on.

Rubber Slug posted:

Same issue without the extension. I’m using the cable setup recommended on Cas and Chary’s video (6ft Anker + 16ft extension).

It could still be the 6ft Anker cable, you have an extra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

BunLengthHotDog posted:

Usually there is a message in red text somewhere about updating your headset in the Oculus PC app (which could actually be a downgrade) to match versions. Your issue may not be mismatch related, just something to check on.

I haven’t seen any messages telling me to update so far, so I’m not sure if that’s good or bad.

BunLengthHotDog posted:

It could still be the 6ft Anker cable, you have an extra?

Sadly not. My hope was that, since it’s worked fine for several hours straight, it would be up to the task. It was also one of those “recommended” cables so I was hoping I wouldn’t have to swap it out.

By the way, thanks for the quick and helpful replies!