Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gnoman posted:

The novelizations doubled down on this, and built the entire thing around the typical "Big Pharma" conspiracy bullshit. That version's T-Virus was originally a super cure that the execs didn't want, because Curing A Disease Is Bad For Profit. So they assassinated the inventor and turned the work over to Birkin to develop as a weapon.
Bullshit?

The Genome Revolution, a report on gene manipulation commissioned by Goldman Sachs posted:

The potential to deliver ‘one shot cures’ is one of the most attractive aspects of gene therapy, genetically-engineered cell therapy and gene editing. However, such treatments offer a very different outlook with regard to recurring revenue versus chronic therapies... While this proposition carries tremendous value for patients and society, it could represent a challenge for genome medicine developers looking for sustained cash flow.
The novelization has like the most realistic outlook on how capitalism works from the sounds of it, though I suppose the execs wouldn't be opposed to having a super cure around for their own private needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I assumed Spencer had super cures stashed away in his lair, but he never developed a cure for getting your ribcage punched out through your back, so he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 25, 2020

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gnoman posted:

One of the reasons that it annoys me is that the Glock is too good to be a "starter weapon" like Claire's little revolver in RE2make. If she starts with it in the full game, there's little reason to find the Beretta in the RPD or something and switch to it.

A Glock makes a lot of sense, especially if we want to assume it is her personal property instead of RPD issue. It just feels out of place in the series.

The Glock is a bog standard service pistol. The Samurai Edge is straight up a custom made, match tuned firearm that Jill's probably very comfortable with from extensive training on it. Practical reasons she absolutely has a motivation to switch over to it if she finds it, and game reasons you can probably easily represent it being an upgrade by having the precision aim be near instant, or upping the crit chance or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean if the "Drop Nemesis, get loot" mechanic is still in you have an upgraded pistol coming to you. If not the trailer shows we meet Kendo, so that's an excuse to get better gun. Either way I'd be loving astonished if we stick with that pistol all the way through.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

We will surely get the Samurai Edge.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Bullshit?

The novelization has like the most realistic outlook on how capitalism works from the sounds of it, though I suppose the execs wouldn't be opposed to having a super cure around for their own private needs.

Yeah big things pharma is real so I don’t know what the quotation marks are for

Though general they don’t repress it they just don’t bother researching it at all

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Bullshit?

Wasn't there some conspiracy theory in the 1980s or 90s about the GOVERNMENT having the cure for cancer but was keeping it from the public to use on the elites?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crowetron posted:

I assumed Spencer had super cures stashed away in his lair, but he never developed a cure for getting your ribcage punched out through your back, so he wasn't as smart as he thought he was.

To be fair, he was trying to develop such a thing, but it never really worked because Umbrella was incompetent and men like him only really thought they were scientists. For the most part Umbrella's 'science' is 'fling a bunch of poo poo we found in a basement at a wall and see if it makes a hideous mutant'. I genuinely like Spencer for being a dipshit who never even got close to what he really wanted (actual serious human enhancement) and just caused endless misery until his own idiot 'son' (of sorts) punched his heart out.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Lunethex posted:

I'm going to be mildly upset if Jill doesn't have her Samurai Edge. Dunno why CAPCOM lets that particular carrot rot. I think I'd be annoyed if it was an unlock weapon like last game, or some weird pre-order bonus. She should have it on principle.

She was under suspension and surveillance or like house arrest or something right? Makes sense her special swat gear isn't currently available.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Night10194 posted:

To be fair, he was trying to develop such a thing, but it never really worked because Umbrella was incompetent and men like him only really thought they were scientists. For the most part Umbrella's 'science' is 'fling a bunch of poo poo we found in a basement at a wall and see if it makes a hideous mutant'. I genuinely like Spencer for being a dipshit who never even got close to what he really wanted (actual serious human enhancement) and just caused endless misery until his own idiot 'son' (of sorts) punched his heart out.

According to Lost in Nightmares, under Spencer's instruction, Alex actually worked it out! Then flipped him the bird and dipped, taking the results for herself and leading into Rev2.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
spencer would have got what he wanted if it wasnt for that drat kamiya redefining the action gerne!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Regarding Jill's Samurai Edge:

She uses it against Nemesis in one of the opening cutscenes when he thrashes into her apartment but loses it during the escape. The glock she finds is on a cop's corpse once the player is given control. I don't know if it's something you can find later in the game, but it is an unlockable bonus weapon like in RE2R

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Regarding Jill's Samurai Edge:

She uses it against Nemesis in one of the opening cutscenes when he thrashes into her apartment but loses it during the escape. The glock she finds is on a cop's corpse once the player is given control. I don't know if it's something you can find later in the game, but it is an unlockable bonus weapon like in RE2R

i've heard through randomly half glancing at spoiler threads on resetera that you can get it from brad? or at least his version of it, not 100% sure.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Going through RE2'98 again and that Sherry section on Claire A with the dogs is some first-class loving bullshit anti-fun.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Going through RE2'98 again and that Sherry section on Claire A with the dogs is some first-class loving bullshit anti-fun.

i swear the disc is self aware of something, i remember never having that problem before and managing to dodge the dogs with ease but like you my recent run of claire A, i had the same bullshit anti-fun experience with the dogs and my brain couldnt process it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
As you get older you get worse at video games

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

i swear the disc is self aware of something, i remember never having that problem before and managing to dodge the dogs with ease but like you my recent run of claire A, i had the same bullshit anti-fun experience with the dogs and my brain couldnt process it.
It's the worst sort of RNG. If the dogs start running too soon for you to reach either door but too late to turn back and reset the room, you're just flat out hosed and have to use that F-Aid Spray, because Sherry is a defenceless loving wiener with stubby little legs and all the running speed of an asthmatic tortoise.

I hate using F-Aid Sprays!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mulva posted:

I mean if the "Drop Nemesis, get loot" mechanic is still in you have an upgraded pistol coming to you. If not the trailer shows we meet Kendo, so that's an excuse to get better gun. Either way I'd be loving astonished if we stick with that pistol all the way through.

This is what it'll be, you'll start with the glock, Jill won't have the Samurai Edge because she dropped it off at Kendo's to get tuned up, at some point in the game you get it and that's the next pistol up between the starter and a magnum/whatever other upgraded thing they decide to put in.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vikar Jerome posted:

wonder if this is how it started in raccoon city. people not believing it. people panic buying hand sanitizers and toliet paper, lockdowns and social distancing, jill and barry ordering a bunch of ammo online that never turned up and got scattered around the city and then people realized the infected were biting peoples faces off and poo poo to went to hell.

makes you think.

That’s the best reasoning for scattered ammo i’ve ever seen,now do one for the weird arse puzzles :p

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Raccoon City is full of escape room fans.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The chief of police hid a car battery in marble statue for some reason.

Raccoon City has some real issues

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Wasn't there a memo in the original complaining about what a complete whackadoo the Mayor was, as well as 'Don't even get me started on the Chief of Police...'?

Or did I just imagine it?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I like how Chief Irons just seems a bit 'off' when you first meet him in the original RE2 (although soon after this encounter his diary reveals the truth about him and his "hobbies"), while in the remake he's immediately just a complete shitbag to the point where you absolutely loving hate him before the cutscene's even halfway done.

I doubt the mayor will be rewritten to be so deplorable but we'll probably still end up hating him too for other reasons.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wasn't there a memo in the original complaining about what a complete whackadoo the Mayor was, as well as 'Don't even get me started on the Chief of Police...'?

Or did I just imagine it?

There's a diary in 2 complaining about the crazy chief and his art & puzzles

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My take is that the mayor would have to be complacent with Umbrella's weird bullshit but also considers Irons to be a genuine friend and sends his daughter to him for her protection so he's probably dense and corrupt, but not really aware of exactly whats going on behind closed eccentrically locked doors.

Also going through REmake 2 again and one of the first things that happen to L&C is a gas tanker exploding about 40 feet away from them and blasting them into a car before they have to sprint to the RPD so those kids drank their loving milk.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Caidin posted:

My take is that the mayor would have to be complacent with Umbrella's weird bullshit but also considers Irons to be a genuine friend and sends his daughter to him for her protection so he's probably dense and corrupt, but not really aware of exactly whats going on behind closed eccentrically locked doors.
Calling it now, "dense and corrupt" is exactly how we all end up thinking of Mayor Warren before the end of April. Possibly along with "cowardly".

Caidin posted:

Also going through REmake 2 again and one of the first things that happen to L&C is a gas tanker exploding about 40 feet away from them and blasting them into a car before they have to sprint to the RPD so those kids drank their loving milk.
Claire is quite simply a Redfield. They're abnormally durable and freakishly strong to boot. Meanwhile, with a surname like "Kennedy", Leon obviously has the luck of the Irish on his side. They probably drank their loving milk too, just to be sure.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 25, 2020

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Malcolm Excellent posted:

A lot of RE3 made more sense to me when I found out about the story behind its development. Most of the weirdest parts of it are down to it being a rush job

Caidin posted:

They've never really discussed Michael Warren, or the process by which Katherine ended up with Irons. Hell, I don't think Katherine's name was canonical until the "RE2make."

If they really are doing more with the early days in the timeline, maybe we'll see something about the Warrens in RE3. My assumption was always that Michael was probably dead inside the boarded-up city hall somewhere.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Meanwhile, with a surname like "Kennedy", Leon obviously has the luck of the Irish on his side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUaJFH252w

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Every rule has its exception :colbert:

Besides, as we've seen many times, Leon is immune to "Death By Vehicle Accident". If that was Leon he'd have crawled out from the wreckage with some dumb one-liner.

Wanderer posted:

They've never really discussed Michael Warren, or the process by which Katherine ended up with Irons. Hell, I don't think Katherine's name was canonical until the "RE2make."
Certainly nowt mentioned or even suggested her name in the original. Just plain ol' "The Mayor's Daughter".

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 25, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
As great as REmake, RE2make and hopefully RE3make are, I really wish Capcom would release a legacy collection of the PS1 titles on Steam as the originals are still good in their own right. I have the GameCube versions of 2&3 set up with the Dolphin HD texture pack, and the PS1 Ultimate Director's Cut fan mod through Retroarch, but these are all a kit of a pain to set up or obtain. Guess the real question is whether it would sell, though.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I just knocked out all the bobbleheads in the demo, and good golly can you bully Nemesis hard if you get good at those perfect dodges. Down him three times? I must've downed him ten while working out those 25 perfect dodges.:black101:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Convex posted:

As great as REmake, RE2make and hopefully RE3make are, I really wish Capcom would release a legacy collection of the PS1 titles on Steam as the originals are still good in their own right. I have the GameCube versions of 2&3 set up with the Dolphin HD texture pack, and the PS1 Ultimate Director's Cut fan mod through Retroarch, but these are all a kit of a pain to set up or obtain. Guess the real question is whether it would sell, though.

The last time they did this it was as a pre-order bonus for when RE5 came out, so while they are still good in their own right I think they did unfortunately pass into "we don't think anyone will spend money on these" territory. I do wish they'd have included them with their respective remakes though.

Caidin posted:

See the earlier discussion about the running theme of the game where the villains are all eccentric rich white assholes and their sycophants. :D It's like they just stumbled into the absolutely perfect formula.

I'm sure this here before when RE2 first came out my friends and I were all very confidant the station was based on the police station in Red Bank, NJ at the time. They've had a modern, new building for some time but the station up until the 90s? The RBPD was operating out of a gothic revival schoolhouse, like spaced out castle bricks and all. And community events/after school programs/etc. stuff were still held there regularly in parts of it. So it was like that EXACT weird combination of old timey artsy corridor, modern office, weird left over art pieces hanging around, fuckin' owned.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The best part about Irons being a massive raging sack of poo poo from the word go in the remake is the realization that Chris/Jill/etc. all worked with this guy regularly?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Neo Rasa posted:

The best part about Irons being a massive raging sack of poo poo from the word go in the remake is the realization that Chris/Jill/etc. all worked with this guy regularly?

The town hadn't gone to complete poo poo during the lofty heights of STARS!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like how Chief Irons just seems a bit 'off' when you first meet him in the original RE2 (although soon after this encounter his diary reveals the truth about him and his "hobbies"), while in the remake he's immediately just a complete shitbag to the point where you absolutely loving hate him before the cutscene's even halfway done.

I doubt the mayor will be rewritten to be so deplorable but we'll probably still end up hating him too for other reasons.

I like the first Irons encounter in original RE2 better than the remake, because it's a slow build to what a creepy and deranged rear end in a top hat he is. You first get a memo in the STARS Office from Chris' FBI contact about their investigation on Irons. It mentioned how he was accused of raping several women in college but somehow the charges mysteriously kept getting dropped, so that already sets off so many red flags.

Then you meet the guy and he seems pretty affable, if exhausted, towards Claire. But as the conversation goes on, he brings up the corpse of the mayor's daughter on his desk and how beautiful and perfect she is, or how taxidermy was his hobby, and you really just want to slowly step back and get out of the room now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Neo Rasa posted:

Wesker presumably was running a lot of interference.

The remake's Irons was also notably better at keeping his poo poo on lockdown. In the original, he's throwing around money like it's going out of style and it's all on his conspicuously-displayed art collection. In the remake, he's a noted philanthropist who's self-funding an orphanage. He's the Bruce Wayne of serial murder.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I like the first Irons encounter in original RE2 better than the remake, because it's a slow build to what a creepy and deranged rear end in a top hat he is. You first get a memo in the STARS Office from Chris' FBI contact about their investigation on Irons. It mentioned how he was accused of raping several women in college but somehow the charges mysteriously kept getting dropped, so that already sets off so many red flags.

They had to change it because he's supposed to be a villain and if they left that in today 45% of the country would want him to be president or a supreme court justice.

I sort of understand the change honestly though. Kind of like with The Exorcist, by the time the movie was being made everyone knew the girl was really straight up possessed so they felt having that still be a mystery to the viewer for the movie wouldn't work which is why they played up the effects.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finished Leon's remake story. Man, I'm glad I squirreled away like four First Aid Sprays because I needed them, and then some, for those last two bosses. I was tense and focused and getting angry every time I got hit (which was a lot) - yeah, it's proper Resident Evil all right, and after 5 and 6 it feels good to be back. The whole Ada subplot was handled surprisingly worse than in the original in my opinion. Ada as a whole just kinda got worse as the series went on, I think, culminating in her Chaotic Stupid alignment in 6 (and the less said about "Ada" the better).

Clare's story should be fun with all the Chief Irons talk I'm seeing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
doesn't the first irons encounter in the original involve him crooning over a dead woman on his desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

doesn't the first irons encounter in the original involve him crooning over a dead woman on his desk

Not really "crooning" (even for Irons that would be extremely loving weird), but being somewhat theatrical.