Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ugly In The Morning posted:

but a lot of fun.

what other possible reason is there to play a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Casnorf posted:

what other possible reason is there to play a game

sic e-rep

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I basically go All Skills All The Time and it’s a blast. Not optimal but a lot of fun.

I just wish we had more skills that were actually worth a drat.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

If you're doing high level poo poo, watch your polarity switch timer.
The feedback will most likely cause you to get shredded by anything on Challenging or higher

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I just wish we had more skills that were actually worth a drat.

I loved playing a striker drone / oxidizer build all the way through hard. Both are easy to use and the drone did decent damage while oxidizer dots were fun and destroyed enemies in cover. Then I got to challenging and the build immediately became worthless. Oxidizer hardly does any damage compared enemy hp at that level and enemies instantly roll out of it. The drone just gets targeted and destroyed in 2 seconds flat.

Fixing this is just a numbers tweak, but :effort:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nerdz posted:

Yeah they acknowledged it. I've been saying this for a long time, but there has been no damage rebalance on weapons for this expansion. This means that all weapons should be around the same place they were pre expansion, i.e. ARs dominating and the M1A being a good, but not overpowered rifle. The fact that it's destroying enemies with a DPS build means that if ARs get fixed they'll be even stronger, so enemy TTK will plummet in all difficulties.

just wanted to quote this good post. We're dealing with a lot of converging issues in terms of how the game plays and it's just gonna take a while to iron out. Probably longer than we'd all like but uh, there's good reason at least.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 24, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ZombyDog posted:

I mean for all of my kvetching about my solo skill builds in Heroic, last night I wasn't actually struggling with my blinder/firestarter chem launcher build doing solo Heroic Grand Washington Hotel ( which to be fair, isn't overly tricky). Open world stuff remains a different kettle of fish, the random nature of it all, with some districts being extra tricky as you pull enemy NPCs from neighbouring activities which make Open Heroic a painful slog ( get into a firefight, get blindsided by a named boss on top of battling two different mobs of NPCs, respawn back at a safehouse and start all over again - I've had this happen 4 player groups where it alternates between awesome long drawn out firefights and constant downings )

Every claim currently comes with an asterisk at the end. You see it in all the Best OP Solo Heroic Build! videos where they show how easy it is to solo Heroics by presenting a video clip where they're in an advantageous position on one of the easier CPs because technically CP4 is Heroic. That doesn't mean poo poo to me, the guy getting clowned on in Heroic Tidal Basin or whatever.

Thankfully they'll fix it all in the next patch by making it harder to solo. Problem solved!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Probably going to pick up Warlords this weekend, but quick question: how do the leagues work? I'm used to leagues in other loot-based RPGs being a thing where you roll a new character from scratch and it's all sequestered but I can't imagine that being the case here, and a brief bit of googling wasn't really explaining the process.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Probably going to pick up Warlords this weekend, but quick question: how do the leagues work? I'm used to leagues in other loot-based RPGs being a thing where you roll a new character from scratch and it's all sequestered but I can't imagine that being the case here, and a brief bit of googling wasn't really explaining the process.

You just kinda do stuff.

League one was run a set of 4 missions as quickly as possible. In addition to that there were challenges for kills on a certain kind of enemies, and one other thing which I forget.

I thought it was pretty fun, if not a little wonky due to some scaling stuff

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's a battle pass except there's also 1-2 week long events (leagues) in them as well that award even more stuff and battle pass exp.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Mailer posted:

Every claim currently comes with an asterisk at the end. You see it in all the Best OP Solo Heroic Build! videos where they show how easy it is to solo Heroics by presenting a video clip where they're in an advantageous position on one of the easier CPs because technically CP4 is Heroic. That doesn't mean poo poo to me, the guy getting clowned on in Heroic Tidal Basin or whatever.

Thankfully they'll fix it all in the next patch by making it harder to solo. Problem solved!

Heroic activities are meant to be hard. The difficulty is mitigated by having a coordinated build and experience with what you're trying to beat. It should go without saying that the more you beat Tidal Basin the easier it should get. Granted, as things stand some particular builds are much better than others, but a particular build isn't going to carry you through all Heroic missions either. You either slowly work your way up through the difficulties and gather gear until it's good enough for Heroic or you jump in the deep end and hope for good RNG while your patience lasts.

Going by the patch notes, they are decreasing enemy damage for when you're solo and by making it "harder" it just means they're increasing the HP of enemies a bit. Since you're less likely to see tanks and elites when you're solo this isn't going to make the game unplayable. It just means you're less likely to die and some fights might take a bit longer than before.

Leagues are just another weekly event during the season. They're themed around factions for now and all you're doing is speedrunning missions and doing a couple other challenges (like killing elites or applying a status effect). You get reward caches based on how well you perform in each of six categories. No separate characters, just use what you have to complete the challenges.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I got a Bullet King off Parnell, who is a complete non issue as a skill build. Overcharge jammer clears the entire arena, and my overcharged sniper turret can kill Riker heavies through their shield in two shots on Challenging. Unfortunately, 1) the gun has a complete garbage roll, 2) I am a skill build, 3) you can't reroll exotics.

EDIT: Sniper turret also bypasses the polarity issue, and credits you toward the goals.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 25, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Shoren posted:

You either slowly work your way up through the difficulties and gather gear until it's good enough for Heroic or you jump in the deep end and hope for good RNG while your patience lasts.

This is what it was before the expansion. "Work your way up" doesn't work when you're just below the possible gear ceiling and everything is still brutal. I'd love a smooth curve of loot and increased difficulty but that isn't what's on offer in the current game. Maybe everything is sunshine and rainbows after this patch, but recent history doesn't lead me to optimism.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Mailer posted:

This is what it was before the expansion. "Work your way up" doesn't work when you're just below the possible gear ceiling and everything is still brutal. I'd love a smooth curve of loot and increased difficulty but that isn't what's on offer in the current game. Maybe everything is sunshine and rainbows after this patch, but recent history doesn't lead me to optimism.

That's the way it still is, it only seems worse because the jump in difficulty is more pronounced than before. This is a big assumption to make, but assuming no bugs are introduced with tomorrow's patch then the game ought to be much more player-friendly in tackling content for gear. We'll see just how much they tune enemy damage and HP, but it's a step in the right direction. Fixing the hit registration and gearsets will also go a long way to improving the experience. I won't fault you for giving up because I know I'm overly optimistic despite the rookie mistakes Massive is making. I just really like playing the game and want it to be in a better state even if it takes small steps to get there.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Shoren posted:

... but assuming no bugs are introduced with tomorrow's patch then ...

You should do stand-up.

poo poo, I've only been able to play again since the patch last Thursday which fixed my Deltas-03 errors.
Which was a total fluke, because they seem to have no idea what causes them, because every person who gets them seems to get them for different reasons.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

OgNar posted:

You should do stand-up.

poo poo, I've only been able to play again since the patch last Thursday which fixed my Deltas-03 errors.
Which was a total fluke, because they seem to have no idea what causes them, because every person who gets them seems to get them for different reasons.

Hey, I prefaced that knowing full well how optimistic it was. Give me a little credit at least!

I try to appreciate how hard it must be to fix bugs in this game given how many things are interacting during any given encounter. But I also figured that TD2 would be programmed better than TD1 so that fewer bugs would present themselves in the first place and that's clearly not the case...

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I kid, but I do love ragging on their patchs that create even more bugs.

Also, your NY tax dollars at work.

https://i.imgur.com/urwL3eO.gifv

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Fixes I'd like to see:

* Rolling out of cover snaps me either back to that cover or to some other nearby cover. That really helps against rushers.
* Why are some gates at Potomac Event Center opening towards us now?
* In a brightly lit area (or in an Outcast mission which is nothing but yellow) it's hard to see what polarity you are. A better indicator besides the tiny icon or your arm would be helpful.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So being an idiot I decided to keep my global difficulty at heroic while doing the polarity event. It sucks.

The biggest problem for me is it delays my reactions as I check to make sure the target is the right polarity. I do feel like they could have chosen better colors since it's easy to mistake an elite enemy for positive polarity.

One thing that is particularly annoying is the way enemies will sometimes change polarity for no apparent reason and it happens so fast you can't stop shooting quickly enough to avoid the feedback. I think a lot of this is down to fighting mixed groups of enemies who get into melee fights but I've also seen it happen when that isn't the case and I don't know why. Also I swear I've seen my polarity switch without reloading or switching weapons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HiriseSoftware posted:

Fixes I'd like to see:

* Rolling out of cover snaps me either back to that cover or to some other nearby cover. That really helps against rushers.
* Why are some gates at Potomac Event Center opening towards us now?
* In a brightly lit area (or in an Outcast mission which is nothing but yellow) it's hard to see what polarity you are. A better indicator besides the tiny icon or your arm would be helpful.

If you're pointing at cover when you roll, hold the cover button after double tapping for the roll and you'll roll into cover or continue toward it.

Also if you're moving cover to cover and they throw fire at it or what have you making that spot inhospitable, you can release the space key to pull out of the move, and then hold it back down again pointing at new cover to divert to that.

It's early and coffee isn't done yet so english ain't even my first language right now, sorry if that's largely incomprehensible

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

FAUXTON posted:

If you're pointing at cover when you roll, hold the cover button after double tapping for the roll and you'll roll into cover or continue toward it.

Also if you're moving cover to cover and they throw fire at it or what have you making that spot inhospitable, you can release the space key to pull out of the move, and then hold it back down again pointing at new cover to divert to that.

It's early and coffee isn't done yet so english ain't even my first language right now, sorry if that's largely incomprehensible

I don't want to roll into cover though, I want to roll out of cover and be free! Sometimes I'll hit the cover button maybe 3 times as I frantically roll out but that shouldn't cause me to roll out and then back into whatever cover I'm near. There was probably logic at some point that ignored the cover button for a fraction of a second but now that seems to be gone, which would explain why this is happening. And that "That really helps against rushers" was me being facetious.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

HiriseSoftware posted:

I don't want to roll into cover though, I want to roll out of cover and be free! Sometimes I'll hit the cover button maybe 3 times as I frantically roll out but that shouldn't cause me to roll out and then back into whatever cover I'm near. There was probably logic at some point that ignored the cover button for a fraction of a second but now that seems to be gone, which would explain why this is happening. And that "That really helps against rushers" was me being facetious.

:yossame: It's definitely kind of a pain in the rear end to get out of cover sometimes and a lot of my deaths are because of this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's the deal with this new event? It lasts a week but there's only 4 days listed. Do challenges you don't complete roll over to the next days or something?

Because if not lol skipping this one.

To answer my own question, yes you can finish previous days poo poo on subsequent days. So no need to grind out 200 positive/negative enemies on one day.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

HiriseSoftware posted:

There is an option under the "Controls" submenu at the very bottom that changes entering cover to a long press instead of a tap. It specifically says the option is to prevent you from entering cover from a roll. You'll have to get used to holding the button to enter cover normally, but it should solve this problem.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Shoren posted:

There is an option under the "Controls" submenu at the very bottom that changes entering cover to a long press instead of a tap. It specifically says the option is to prevent you from entering cover from a roll. You'll have to get used to holding the button to enter cover normally, but it should solve this problem.

Is this a new thing? How long of a press are we talking about? I can try the setting, but if it's a new setting, that would explain the issue I'm having. If it's not new, then something's wrong.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

copying some sotg info from twitter

- More updates coming early April
- DPS exploits will be patched earlier once fixes are done

TU8.4 deployed today.
- Bug fixes included
- Hard Wired fixed (they forgot to put it in patch notes)
- First pass of difficulty balancing

Control Point reset fix being worked on and fix will be deployed when ready. Likely early April.

Global Event daily challenges stack and do not disappear until the Global Event is over.

Reply to feedback that the UI is confusing:
- They agree and things will be improved for future Seasons

Apparel event starting the 31st. No Projects this time, you get keys on SHD level ups

Roman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 25, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Roman posted:

Apparel event starting the 31st. No Projects this time, you get keys on SHD level ups

Man, they really need to put in better clothing options, especially more ways to be utterly fabulous. A million and a half options for being a grimdark serious operator man but the goofy poo poo is way more lacking than it should be.

I've managed this, but it could be better. They really need some flip flops or crocs.

edit: like, at a glance the four outfits in the thing I quoted are identical except for the hats. Just looking at them quickly it's hoodie, yellow beanie, blue beanie, baseball cap that's functionally identical to all the other baseball caps in the game

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
What kind of punishment could they even deliver? Ban people from a PVE game?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, they really need to put in better clothing options, especially more ways to be utterly fabulous. A million and a half options for being a grimdark serious operator man but the goofy poo poo is way more lacking than it should be.

I've managed this, but it could be better. They really need some flip flops or crocs.

edit: like, at a glance the four outfits in the thing I quoted are identical except for the hats. Just looking at them quickly it's hoodie, yellow beanie, blue beanie, baseball cap that's functionally identical to all the other baseball caps in the game

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Roman posted:

copying some sotg info from twitter

- More updates coming early April
- DPS exploits will be patched earlier once fixes are done

TU8.4 deployed today.
- Bug fixes included
- Hard Wired fixed (they forgot to put it in patch notes)
- First pass of difficulty balancing

Control Point reset fix being worked on and fix will be deployed when ready. Likely early April.

Global Event daily challenges stack and do not disappear until the Global Event is over.

Reply to feedback that the UI is confusing:
- They agree and things will be improved for future Seasons

Can confirm that Hardwired works now perfectly 100% of the time. Time to cycle between seekers and sticky all the time.

These sets look so bland, hell where is my old LMB set?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
they seem to have forgotten what color saturation is, except the blue and yellow hats.

really, where is my "hide unequipped weapons" or at least "hide signature weapon" toggles because when you're carrying a house around on your back what does it even matter

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

What they need is a glamour switch to turn off your armor pieces.
I want the people to see my glorious hawaiian shirt as I warcrime them to death, not this loving EOD chestpiece

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Did they say anything about this global event being aggressively unfun and annoying? I mean they did them so well in Div 1 with the tiered choices: baseline is a minor fun buff that's always on but unobtrusive (e.g. headshots make enemies asplode). Then there were two more levels of it with power tradeoffs that were optional.

Like this event could've just done a baseline of extra damage to enemies of the same polarity. So if you want to take advantage great, you do extra damage. But you can just keep playing as usual and that's cool too. Tier 2 could've been reduced damage to enemies of opposite polarity, and tier 3 could've been all of those and you also receive increased damage from enemies of the same polarity/less from opposite. So you could have people changing their polarity tactically on teams depending on if they're trying to burn something down or getting shot at. So it's fun, makes you think about when to swap/reload, and changes up the playstyle if you want to.

I'll take my payment in the form of a non-mediocre Pestilence tia

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I would have preferred multiple tiers of difficulty/effect for the GE. Granted, most of the time the higher tiers weren't worth doing because they hindered GE credit earn, but the baseline buff is cool. From the sounds of it, it's just completely disabled in the DZ against NPCs and doesn't work at all for Kenly or the Raid? Which is too bad because doing difficult PVE stuff during GEs was one of the best reasons to play Div1.

Doing a couple hours of the new Challenging and Heroic; Challenging is pretty straightforward now and the cliff between Hard and Challenging should be a lot less steep. I wouldn't say it's back to pre-WONY levels but it's easier. Heroic feels a lot easier just due to how much the incoming damage was tuned down. Enemies are still tough as hell, and will overwhelm you if you're not careful but it feels a lot less punishing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of Pestilence, did this patch fix the hit detection (that also affects Strikers, I believe)?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I like how one of the challenges is to kill someone of a different polarity, but you do so little damage it'd take loving forever to kill even a base red bar.
Love to spend 69 minutes in the loving shock animation

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

PS4 version keeps locking up in battles

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

magiccarpet posted:

PS4 version keeps locking up in battles

My brother in law plays on an older PS4 and he said reinstalling from scratch helped with this.

Could be something to try if you're not a new player/ fresh install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I like how one of the challenges is to kill someone of a different polarity, but you do so little damage it'd take loving forever to kill even a base red bar.
Love to spend 69 minutes in the loving shock animation

Bring the enemy down to almost dead, switch to the opposite charge gun, kill them with a skill. It’ll count.