Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

This is awesome, and it looks great. I might have a go with a single cable to start.

Your other option is to sleeve the stock cables, then you don't need a crimper, just a molex mini fit jr pin remover and a lighter. Do one at a time and there's almost no way you will mess up the pinout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gonna Send It posted:

Mine was $550 from EVGA B-stock, A+ would buy again. Be aware it's a triple slot, though.

Are you certain this is the same card I mentioned? The official site describes it as a dual slot card: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3182-KR

However, it also mentions a minim PSU requirement of 650w, will I be okay with my decent 500w Silverstone one?

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Are you certain this is the same card I mentioned? The official site describes it as a dual slot card: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3182-KR

However, it also mentions a minim PSU requirement of 650w, will I be okay with my decent 500w Silverstone one?

Oh, that's the super, mine is the plain jane 2080.

Your PSU is probably too weak for that, it depends on the CPU you're running.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Sheesh. Fantastic steps and great pictures... I am impressed!

Looks so good in the complete setup pic. :)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gonna Send It posted:

Your PSU is probably too weak for that, it depends on the CPU you're running.

That's a bummer but as I found out actually matters little as it appears I am CPU rather than GPU bound in Doom Eternal (i5 6500).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Minor update on my Dan-A4,

I got another low profile 92mm fan leaving me with two 92mm fans at the bottom of the case on intake. I re-did the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 but the only thing I've been able to show for it are lower idle temperatures - 35c. It's still much too loud while playing games for my liking and I'm hitting >1000 rpms on the low profile 120mm Alpenföhn Ridge Heatsink.

Part of me feels like I must be doing something completely wrong, getting custom cables would probably help with additional airflow but I think in the future I might just swap out the i7 (65W TDP) for a i5 (45W TDP). The biggest surprise out of my whole SSF adventure is my video card - GTX 1070 isn't that loud at all even at load. The ASRock automatic thermal throttling software also seems to be leave much to be desired.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The creator of the case even says that the fan below the mainboard will not help cooling the CPU but that it can help with RAM/VRM temps. I'm not surprised the spot below the PSU didn't help either, because that was my experience too.

I used Noctua's NF-A9x14 (slightly higher static pressure, obviously lower airflow than the NF-A12x15) in my Dan on two different CPUs and they always ran virtually silent at like 1100 rpm in idle, that's normal for low profile coolers in this case. The DAN's 50 mm clearance is just not enough room for heatsinks to dissipate a lot of heat, so fans will have to run at high RPM unless you're using low-power CPUs or "notebook" settings, like a very low long-term TDP. That's just the nature of these tiny SFF boxes: Small/silent/powerful, pick two :)

That said, if you're not happy with the mainboard's BIOS- or software utility for fan speeds, I think people use Argus Monitor to customize fan curves nowadays.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Get the Asetek 92mm CLC and be done with it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What's a good program to stress test for clock speeds and thermals once a system has been finished? Ideally I'd like something I can leave running for a while and then get a detailed report of, for both CPU and GPU afterwards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

VulgarandStupid posted:

Get the Asetek 92mm CLC and be done with it.
The exact same 92mm fan cooling the radiator isn't going to spin much slower, if at all.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah especially it seems with the A4 it’s going to heat up . Benchmarks and tests will heat it up faster . I just accept that the Ryzen I put in there will eventually soak up and get pretty hot under high load and then I just let I do that cause whatever.

Like was said Dan and others suggest changing the long term power setting in the bios to keep it clocked down. It will otherwise make a bit of noise and isn’t silent but shouldn’t be screaming like a tea kettle or something .

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

What's a good program to stress test for clock speeds and thermals once a system has been finished? Ideally I'd like something I can leave running for a while and then get a detailed report of, for both CPU and GPU afterwards.
Unigine Superposition is what I've been using. There's a stress test mode and will tell you the GPU min and max temperature afterwards. For CPU you probably need to run some other data logger in the background though.

https://benchmark.unigine.com/superposition

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm loving my NUC to run Emby to pump over to Fire Stick.

I wanted to run Emby on a non admin account but the stupid thing puts the program in AppData. I've stopped caring and just let it run in admin.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How much would using a radiator for cooling help with noise levels?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

How much would using a radiator for cooling help with noise levels?

orcane posted:

The exact same 92mm fan cooling the radiator isn't going to spin much slower, if at all.
Compared to your 120mm low profile fan, not much. You're restricted to low-profile 92mm fans on the AIO and the location is not optimal, the space above it is going to be full of cables (now you REALLY want custom cables):

Since the fan is focused on just cooling heat from the CPU in the radiator, it can probably run a wee bit slower. On the other hand there will also be pump noise and now you don't have airflow around the CPU socket (VRM, RAM, possibly NVMe) so that 92mm fan below the mainboard has to stay and run too.

That's specifically for the DAN A4 in default setups. There's an optional bracket to fit a 120mm AIO (requires an SFX PSU, not SFX-L, and a short ITX GPU) that would be slightly better I guess. Also, some people jury-rigged the case to fit even larger AIOs but then you're looking at extensive modding of the case and attaching stuff externally (eg. the PSU or radiator).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

skooma512 posted:

I'm loving my NUC to run Emby to pump over to Fire Stick.

I wanted to run Emby on a non admin account but the stupid thing puts the program in AppData. I've stopped caring and just let it run in admin.

I just set up a system to run FreeNAS and Plex Server. Does Emby do anything better?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

Compared to your 120mm low profile fan, not much. You're restricted to low-profile 92mm fans on the AIO and the location is not optimal, the space above it is going to be full of cables (now you REALLY want custom cables):

Since the fan is focused on just cooling heat from the CPU in the radiator, it can probably run a wee bit slower. On the other hand there will also be pump noise and now you don't have airflow around the CPU socket (VRM, RAM, possibly NVMe) so that 92mm fan below the mainboard has to stay and run too.

That's specifically for the DAN A4 in default setups. There's an optional bracket to fit a 120mm AIO (requires an SFX PSU, not SFX-L, and a short ITX GPU) that would be slightly better I guess. Also, some people jury-rigged the case to fit even larger AIOs but then you're looking at extensive modding of the case and attaching stuff externally (eg. the PSU or radiator).

I’m sort of thinking about going with the 120mm option with the Gigabyte RTX with one fan that’s 173mm long but then my concern is am I just moving my problem of noise from the CPU to the video card? There are some interesting short 3-slot cards but those won’t fit :smith:

My end goal is to be able to have an SSF PC in the living room, play games while not distracting family, friends, etc. with a jet engine.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Seems to me like a fairly practical route would be just swapping to a slightly bigger case with better cooling potential, like the upcoming T1 or something https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/formd-t1-sidearmd-cnc-aio-9-5l.9933/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Realistically that's the only way if a Noctua NF-A12x15 is supposedly too loud.

A 120mm tower cooler (eg.) (requires an even bigger case tho) or a 240mm radiator is simply going to handle modern CPUs better and as long as you use sensible BIOS settings for the CPU they will not need their fans at 100% speed. Although I built several computers with the DAN A4 by now and it's usually the GPU that determines how loud the computer gets - with the CPU you simply tweak the fan curve and TDP/OC settings so the NF-A9x14 can keep it reasonably cool. Even at 2500 rpm the fan is not "jet engine" loud but a lot of 2-slot GPUs actually are.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Since you're running extra intakes on the bottom, have you tried raising the case slightly, and see if that helps with temperatures? The only other option besides a larger case would be undervolting both the CPU and GPU.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

Realistically that's the only way if a Noctua NF-A12x15 is supposedly too loud.

A 120mm tower cooler (eg.) (requires an even bigger case tho) or a 240mm radiator is simply going to handle modern CPUs better and as long as you use sensible BIOS settings for the CPU they will not need their fans at 100% speed. Although I built several computers with the DAN A4 by now and it's usually the GPU that determines how loud the computer gets - with the CPU you simply tweak the fan curve and TDP/OC settings so the NF-A9x14 can keep it reasonably cool. Even at 2500 rpm the fan is not "jet engine" loud but a lot of 2-slot GPUs actually are.

Part of me thinks there's something wrong with the temperature readings or throttling from my CPU or Motherboard - it's an ASRock Z370M-ITX and i7-8700. I haven't seen reports from other users that similar setups are not this loud and to me anything beyond 1,200 RPMs on the A9x14 gets out of my ideal noise range. Many of the short single fan video cards have the BIOS locked to keep the fan speeds above 20% but folks are developing custom BIOSes and flashing. That's an absolutely last resort.

The Sidearm T1 and other cases certainly look interesting with improved air cooling but none of this stuff is readily available at all.

EDIT - I also feel as if you could probably jam another slim 92mm fan on the top of the case granted it'd have to it taped or glued along with carefully adjusting the GPU Ribbon Cable.

EDIT 2 - Here's my SFF Reddit Effort Post - https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/fyt2ih/dan_a4_expected_air_cooling_temperatures_with_i7/

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 11, 2020

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Part of me thinks there's something wrong with the temperature readings or throttling from my CPU or Motherboard - it's an ASRock Z370M-ITX and i7-8700. I haven't seen reports from other users that similar setups are not this loud and to me anything beyond 1,200 RPMs on the A9x14 gets out of my ideal noise range. Many of the short single fan video cards have the BIOS locked to keep the fan speeds above 20% but folks are developing custom BIOSes and flashing. That's an absolutely last resort.

The Sidearm T1 and other cases certainly look interesting with improved air cooling but none of this stuff is readily available at all.

EDIT - I also feel as if you could probably jam another slim 92mm fan on the top of the case granted it'd have to it taped or glued along with carefully adjusting the GPU Ribbon Cable.

EDIT 2 - Here's my SFF Reddit Effort Post - https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/fyt2ih/dan_a4_expected_air_cooling_temperatures_with_i7/

Get the 8700 delidded and better compound applied (then reldded). That will usually knock off 15-20. I had my 8700K done by SiliconLottery.com. Temps have been awesome since. Probably cost me $40 including shipping.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's like I bought a bugged CPU. My freaking luck. Goddammit. I'm crazy enough to delid it myself with just a knife. Lets see how this turns out!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even if there is something wonky with the thermal sensors or CPU, I can already tell you that a 92mm low profile fan will not cool a 65W CPU (even delidded) at 1200 rpm under load. Maybe if you drastically cut the CPU's TDP to Ultrabook levels. The NF-A9x14 is great for what it achieves but a 92 mm low profile fan is still tiny and there's a reason the one they sell with the NH-L9a/i coolers goes up to 2500 rpm (regular A9x14 PWM goes up to 2200). 1000-1200 rpm is the speed at which my DAN A4 with Ryzen 2700X idles. It's hardly perceptible at this rpm in my setup so either your fan/mainboard are reporting wrong speeds or your setup introduces a ton of air turbulence.

If the two bottom fans don't do anything for CPU temps a third one on top won't either BTW. Before delidding I would start from scratch, check rpm and noise with only the Black Ridge heatsink + 120mm fan, with the bottom fans disabled and with a fan shroud around the Black Ridge (easy to build with cardboard eg.) so the CPU cooler can't recycle warm air from inside the case.

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 11, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There may be something unique about my motherboard setup - maybe it's completely blocking airflow. I'll take a picture of that later but other folks are telling me the i7-8700 has known issues with the IHS with a 20-25c drop which will likely get me incredibly close to RPMs I'm trying to hit.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The 8 series chips in general had really bad IHS's which is where delidding + liquid metal started to be popular. There are videos of people delidding their chips, replacing the thermal compound with liquid metal and getting 20 to 25 degree drops.

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002
I'm slowly starting to get the parts needed for a SFF build, and wanted a sanity check.

Current hardware:

8086k (delidded/LM)
2080 Super

SFF Purchases:

Corasir SF750 Plat
Ncase M1 6.1v

So I still need a ITX board, 240mm AIO (Kraken x53, or do I use air?) and I was thinking of using the Arctic Accelero III with Noctua NF-A12x25 fans in exhaust for the GPU.
I currently have a Morpheus II on my 2080s, but I believe that only 15mm fans work under this beast of a cooler (NF-A12x15)

Anyone try these configs in a Ncase M1?

Thanks!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Minor update, my i7-8700 beat my Exacto Knife. The blade broke. I'll have to order the delid device.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ActionExpress posted:

I'm slowly starting to get the parts needed for a SFF build, and wanted a sanity check.

Current hardware:

8086k (delidded/LM)
2080 Super

SFF Purchases:

Corasir SF750 Plat
Ncase M1 6.1v

So I still need a ITX board, 240mm AIO (Kraken x53, or do I use air?) and I was thinking of using the Arctic Accelero III with Noctua NF-A12x25 fans in exhaust for the GPU.
I currently have a Morpheus II on my 2080s, but I believe that only 15mm fans work under this beast of a cooler (NF-A12x15)

Anyone try these configs in a Ncase M1?

Thanks!

The cooling config is awesome. I used to have mine set up that way on a 1080ti, but I didn’t install the right spacers on the video card and it ended up warping over time. I could still go back to that if I really wanted to, and now that I have plenty of time.

It works so well I could feel the heat off the video cards across the desk.

Anyway I went with the z370i from Asus because I wanted two m.2 slots. I will say the mobo heatsinks are huge and a pain. I couldn’t use certain AIOs because of it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Minor update, my i7-8700 beat my Exacto Knife. The blade broke. I'll have to order the delid device.

Also have you tried turning off multi-core enhancement in the bios? Some mobos essentially overclock automatically, yes even on non-Ks. I googled and found this on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/c...st_num_comments

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

I'll send you mine if you pay for shipping and send it back when you are done. Thoughts?
#goontrust

What vcore is being reported on that 8700? It's a non-K?

Thanks for the tip on the mobo VulgarandStupid. I think that one has the USBc connector for the front IO on the v6 M1. I was looking at the Z390 Asrock Phantom, that seems to be popular, but doesn't have the USBc header on the mobo.

ActionExpress fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 12, 2020

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I'm bored with my intel Ncase build and want to try something different. Would anyone be interested in a silver v6.1 and a noctua nh-c14 (non s)? I'm going to build an open loop atx am4 system to mess around with zen 3000/4000, so I'd be willing to do some trading as well. I figured I would ask here before posting elsewhere. I'm in the Portland area and could drive a fair distance, but I can also ship in the original packaging etc.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Where the heck can I order ASRock's AM4 Thin Mini ITX mobo

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This is very cool, in the sense that it's interesting. It will be very uncool when we learn what the price is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v71vugKdkO4

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is very cool, in the sense that it's interesting. It will be very uncool when we learn what the price is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v71vugKdkO4

:stare: Did Linus just stop shaving for the plague?

edit: Also that's a Velka 3 with the serial numbers filed off.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 16, 2020

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

Kit with an i9 and without a graphics card is $1553. The i9 board itself is $1274, the i5 board is $664.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Deliding was successful!

But there's a minor problem, upon deliding the brackets that come with the Alpenföhn Black Ridge don't allow the heatsink to contact the processor. That means direct die cooling isn't happening but after re-doing the ILM with my own Arctic Silver temperatures have dropped easily by 5C at load and my idle is around 35C. Things might be even get better because I screwed up with the fan orientation earlier and it's on exhaust not intake.

I'll still want to see results with pure deliding, a possible CPU & Power Supply shroud and custom cables.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The quoted ~20°C temperature drop is usually just "normal" delidding as in, replace toothpaste with something like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, then reattaching the heat spreader. But that's load numbers, not idle (eg. stress testing with Prime95 or w/e). If you need direct die cooling to handle a 65W CPU there's still something wrong though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

The quoted ~20°C temperature drop is usually just "normal" delidding as in, replace toothpaste with something like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, then reattaching the heat spreader. But that's load numbers, not idle (eg. stress testing with Prime95 or w/e). If you need direct die cooling to handle a 65W CPU there's still something wrong though.

The paste in the IHS was incredibly thick and I think I got about a 5-10C Temperature drop with only Arctic Silver 5. Then Arctic Silver 5 on top of the IHS connecting to the heatsink.

I'm still hitting maximum fan speed with Prime 95 but it holds under 80c which seems like way too much. I did try making the bottom case exhaust heat but there's so little tolerance in the case reversing the one under the motherboard causes the fan blades to just barely hit it.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That fan speed and temp seems normal for Prime95, considering you're not using liquid metal between die and heat spreader.

What are your BIOS settings regarding TDP, multicore enhancements and AVX offset (unless you ran Prime with AVX off)?