Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

not making egg salad, potato salad, and deviled eggs smdh

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

In true Alicia fashion

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's times like this that make me glad I have backyard chickens for eggs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

hope and vaseline posted:

It's times like this that make me glad I have backyard chickens for eggs.

I'm coming over

to rub myself on your chickens

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm coming over

to rub myself on your chickens

So if coronavirus and salmonella got in a fight, who would win?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

which one do I have again

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
"Daddy I thought we had 7 chickens!"
"One ran away."
"What's for dinner??"
"Chicken."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I need eggs, which may or may not be somthing like that. I need to drive my car anyway so my battery doesn't go kaput. I do realize that I could just let the car run in my driveway for awhile but I figure I should try to pick up some stuff too so I can finish out the rest of the shelter in place without going out.

I had a battery just flatline at the Costco gas pump during a hard rain. Had a new one in quicker than I could say "glad this didn't happen at the gentleman's club."

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Last spring Costco had chicken coops for sale, so be on the lookout.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Joburg posted:

Last spring Costco had chicken coops for sale, so be on the lookout.

Urban farming is only going to get worse because of this pandemic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean don't they sell sheds

same thing really

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are we posting frittatas?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I need to google how to make fritatas, marvelous.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could be making shakshuka.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Manuel Calavera posted:

No tomato sauce unfortunately.

TraderStav posted:

I need to google how to make fritatas, marvelous.

1) Heat oven proof pan, then fry chopped bacon, then onions, and all other veggies (not leafy veg or brassicas)
2) Stir in brassicas to cook, leafy veg to wilt then eggs, then cheese, cook till bottom is solid
3) top with some more cheese
4) put in oven under broiler/salamander till eggs are set.
5) Let cool. Scoop out and eat!

You can use any combo of veg, I usually use sweet peppers and spinach, but have used broccoli. Onions slow cooked in bacon fat is of utmost importance. Butter and oil may be substituted for bacon if necessary. Frittata keeps nicely in the fridge for 3 days.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 25, 2020

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

This person gets it. (Canned tomatoes work too if you can find em)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Lmao looks delicious

"hmm I'm out of eggs again. How does this happen?!"

*eats 3rd frittata that week*

Ya I’d eat that frittata every other day at least

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

now I know what I'm going to do with my costco sized feta cheese container that's nearing expiration

hakuna frittata

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tim Whatley posted:

This person gets it. (Canned tomatoes work too if you can find em)

Well we also have no bread to eat it with. Out of flour too.

I'm planning on going to church on Monday.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Status report: went to Costco in south LA (marina del Rey) and tp was out within 30 mins

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yes. You basically use eggs for everything when you cook. They're also delicious by themselves. I can absolutely go through a costco sized pack of eggs in my household over 2 weeks. Its not the only thing I'd be picking up anyways

Something I've noticed is that my gf and I use a lot more eggs when we've got a lot more free time e.g. if we're busy during the week we'll make relatively quick and easy dinners but if we're working from home all of a sudden it's quiche for breakfast and homemade pasta for dinner and we're using 3x as much eggs as normal.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well we also have no bread to eat it with. Out of flour too.

I'm planning on going to church on Monday.

Man I came really loving close to buying a 25 pound sack of flour at costco.

I don't need 25 pounds of flour. We usually throw back maybe a single 1 pound bag every two weeks, maybe every week if I'm making bread (most of it is used for making pasta). It would take me way too loving long to use 25 pounds of flour and I don't even know how I'd store it without getting it everywhere. It's not like those bags are re-sealable. Probably break it out into "storage" and "use" containers like I do my costco bags of rice but still.

Problem is that's the only loving flour I've been able to find in weeks. I got lucky and found a single bag of brand name hidden behind some other poo poo on a shelf in the grocery store (probably scored some poor worker's stash), but since it was brand name it cost $3 for the pound instead of $1.25 or so for the generic we usually get.

. . . and 25 pounds of costco flour was like $6

gently caress me running I'm going to end up with a 25 pound sack of flour before this is over, aren't I?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress me running I'm going to end up with a 25 pound sack of flour before this is over, aren't I?

we buy one every few months here, but we make tons of bread, flatbreads, pizza dough, baked goods, etc.

we just store ours in home depot buckets

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

5gal buckets with one of these airtight lids make for great bulk food / pet food storage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KAY4S2/

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I'm sure some goons still have the bucket from their 27lb Macaroni and Cheese purchase.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man I came really loving close to buying a 25 pound sack of flour at costco.

Yes and my advice is eat an assload more bread afterwards.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I've been baking bread and scones more, so I got a couple of 25lb sacks from Costco before the madness took hold (pre US cases). I've since finished my open sack, and had to open one of those. Good to hear they still have it. Just get the matching volume of butter to go with it.

We would buy Costco eggs, but our consumption of them went down drastically when we learned my son is allergic to them. We feel okay cooking and eating them because it's not super serious, but man, he gets upset when he can't steal your food.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Alarbus posted:

We would buy Costco eggs, but our consumption of them went down drastically when we learned my son is allergic to them. We feel okay cooking and eating them because it's not super serious, but man, he gets upset when he can't steal your food.
Oh, I have that poo poo too, or something like an egg allergy, but not quite the same.

Anyway, unload aquafaba on your son.
I've used it whipped to make an egg-free sponge cake, and I've used a few spoons of the liquid to make English pancakes. It's loving good, and it's a side effect of chickpeas which are also pretty good.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
God drat have i been eating more beans. Costco sells dem beans in bulk right?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I’m probably going to need to make a Costco trip sometime in the next week and am dreading it. I’m only planning to do this once so hopefully the TP gods will be with me. My local stores haven’t had TP on the shelves when I’ve gone in 3+ weeks (south of Seattle). I’m down to a couple of rolls.

I’m assuming the play is still arrive a couple of hours before open and wait? I would likely be going to the Covington, WA location if it matters. Anyone been there lately and have a trip report?

I remember the simpler days when I could just stop by for a hot dog (with refill) :negative:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

IllegallySober posted:

I’m probably going to need to make a Costco trip sometime in the next week and am dreading it. I’m only planning to do this once so hopefully the TP gods will be with me. My local stores haven’t had TP on the shelves when I’ve gone in 3+ weeks (south of Seattle). I’m down to a couple of rolls.

I’m assuming the play is still arrive a couple of hours before open and wait? I would likely be going to the Covington, WA location if it matters. Anyone been there lately and have a trip report?

I remember the simpler days when I could just stop by for a hot dog (with refill) :negative:

TP has been out everywhere here too (SoCal). Mrs Mango went to our local ‘Co half an hour before opening, got in a long but well organized line, and was able to get TP. I had gone every other afternoon for a week and struck out every time. A few times saw the afternoon pallet roll out and watched it disappear in seconds. Checker finally took pity and told me about the morning line system.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

My roommate and I have a tiny kitchen and are very lazy, so we go through these like crazy:

https://www.costco.com/organic-tasty-bite-madras-lentils%2c-10-oz%2c-8-count.product.100502845.html

Throw some rice in the rice cooker, heat up one of these in the microwave, put some hot sauce and cheese on it. Hella good.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Brine your beans and then pressure cook them, a more amazing bean you will not have.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Thanatosian posted:

My roommate and I have a tiny kitchen and are very lazy, so we go through these like crazy:

https://www.costco.com/organic-tasty-bite-madras-lentils%2c-10-oz%2c-8-count.product.100502845.html

Throw some rice in the rice cooker, heat up one of these in the microwave, put some hot sauce and cheese on it. Hella good.

I have 2 boxes of those that I never used and they're expired now. However, since they're packaged very well I'm probably going to try it soon anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I haven't had it in a while but...did they gently caress with their bagels? It was in the fridge a few days but they seem noticeably harder than before. Less crumbly maybe but drat it's stiff

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't had it in a while but...did they gently caress with their bagels? It was in the fridge a few days but they seem noticeably harder than before. Less crumbly maybe but drat it's stiff

Yes they did gently caress with their bagels. They're a little bit smaller and not as good. You can throw them in the microwave or toaster oven for a few seconds but no matter what you do they're unfortunately just not the same.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ultimate Mango posted:

TP has been out everywhere here too (SoCal). Mrs Mango went to our local ‘Co half an hour before opening, got in a long but well organized line, and was able to get TP. I had gone every other afternoon for a week and struck out every time. A few times saw the afternoon pallet roll out and watched it disappear in seconds. Checker finally took pity and told me about the morning line system.

I read about this and we gave it a try on the weekend (weekdays aren't an option). No go, poo poo was sold out before we got in the door.

We're getting low-ish. Once we get down to the last 3 rolls I'm handing them over to my wife and then it's washcloths and showers for me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I read about this and we gave it a try on the weekend (weekdays aren't an option). No go, poo poo was sold out before we got in the door.

We're getting low-ish. Once we get down to the last 3 rolls I'm handing them over to my wife and then it's washcloths and showers for me.

I did a run for some and have an extra if you need. It's from Ralphs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Alan Smithee posted:

Storing bread of any kind in the fridge makes it go stale faster. Store it at room temp or in the freezer. This is because part of staling is a chemical process that works better cool but worse frozen.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Storing bread of any kind in the fridge makes it go stale faster. Store it at room temp or in the freezer. This is because part of staling is a chemical process that works better cool but worse frozen.
Costco has some rolls that will literally go moldy in a day or two if I don't stick them in the refrigerator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have 2 boxes of those that I never used and they're expired now. However, since they're packaged very well I'm probably going to try it soon anyway.

It's a retort pouch. It's most likely fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ELl0kPzS0

It might even be.... Nice.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 25, 2020