Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

half cocaine posted:

I don't understand people who only look at the mortgage payment when buying property. The most expensive purchase of your lifetime and the total cost, including borrowing doesn't matter.

Who are these people? Even in Toronto's crazy market I don't know anyone that doesn't "look at" the total price of a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Well I think with the economy collapsing we are going to find out if anything can change the Vancouver and Toronto housing markets. If this cant, probably nothing will

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

sleep with the vicious posted:

Well I think with the economy collapsing we are going to find out if anything can change the Vancouver and Toronto housing markets. If this cant, probably nothing will

We've done nothing to prevent foreign capital from taking advantage of a record low Canadian dollar and the likelihood of mass-foreclosures from people losing their jobs. If anything this is going to result in the largest transfer of residential property from Canadian to International hands, ever.

Similar to how vast amounts of property was acquired by investment firms following the 2008 crash in the USA, leading to the 2010's housing crisis in America. This is only going to make things worse, because our politicians are dependent on sucking international dick for spare change.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Rime posted:

We've done nothing to prevent foreign capital from taking advantage of a record low Canadian dollar and the likelihood of mass-foreclosures from people losing their jobs. If anything this is going to result in the largest transfer of residential property from Canadian to International hands, ever.

Similar to how vast amounts of property was acquired by investment firms following the 2008 crash in the USA, leading to the 2010's housing crisis in America. This is only going to make things worse, because our politicians are dependent on sucking international dick for spare change.

What are you talking about. Uhh Foreign buyer tax? Speculation tax? I think we've done 'more than nothing'

The interest in the sort of expensive, detached property that that class of foreign buyer was buying in has fallen off a cliff. Developers are completely changing the product they're making and pivoting away from hyper luxury. It worked.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Speaking from experience, the people I know who are buying property, or who are telling others to buy property, are citing the collapse in interest rates coupled with an underestimation of the economic impact of the coronavirus. People think they will still have their job in a few months and now they can finally get cheap credit (because I guess 3% APR isn't cheap I guess??). Do not underestimate the human condition's capacity for complete stupidity.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It’s far too early to know how this will play out. There are fairly reasonable scenarios where prices could crater, and other reasonable scenarios where prices rocket to the moon. (Relative to wages in Canada)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

In a time of extreme uncertainty, it might not be the best time to take out the biggest debt in your life, basically.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

You guys should take a look at Vancouver Craigslist rentals.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What about them?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

qhat posted:

What about them?

There's no housing supply problem anymore.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I had actually looked at rentals this morning coincidentally as I'm looking to move in about 2 months, prices still don't seem to have come down significantly yet, at least for 1bdrm apartments. I'm hoping they will though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's been a week since this poo poo started going down, it's going to take a bit longer than that for prices to start coming down.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

It's been a week since this poo poo started going down, it's going to take a bit longer than that for prices to start coming down.

Don't underestimate how leveraged most Airbnb owners are.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IamShaneMorris/status/1241703904154247168

Same can be seen in Vancouver, sort by furnished and new listings over last week. It's insane.

This whole crisis is going to provide ironclad support for what a lot of people have been saying for years.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
And we haven't even hit one monthly rent payment date yet. April 1 and may 1 could be big inflection points

At the same time, the Canadian housing market has done nothing but defy reality for years now, so

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Rime posted:

Don't underestimate how leveraged most Airbnb owners are.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IamShaneMorris/status/1241703904154247168

Same can be seen in Vancouver, sort by furnished and new listings over last week. It's insane.

This whole crisis is going to provide ironclad support for what a lot of people have been saying for years.

That prices will only keep going up because they only keep going up?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not saying they're not going to go down quickly, I'm saying they're not going to have gone down after seven loving days, guys.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

There's a 2 br for rent in Vancouver house for 3800/month.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HookShot posted:

I'm not saying they're not going to go down quickly, I'm saying they're not going to have gone down after seven loving days, guys.

P.much this. That's why I think I might be lucky to have my lease end in 2 months since I reckon that's when there will start to be big movements in prices as current landlords begin to get desperate and more people try to escape the market.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My real estate agent told me a (very large) group of agents in Ottawa was holding back listings for 2 weeks. Sooo I’m expecting a bit of a dump at the start of April.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jordan7hm posted:

My real estate agent told me a (very large) group of agents in Ottawa was holding back listings for 2 weeks. Sooo I’m expecting a bit of a dump at the start of April.

Very cool to see crooks attempt to manipulate prices against a tsunami of supply that's about to hit their shores.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

qhat posted:

Very cool to see crooks attempt to manipulate prices against a tsunami of supply that's about to hit their shores.

Yeah it’s gross. But many real estate agents are also over leveraged investors so there’s that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah it’s gross. But many real estate agents are also over leveraged investors so there’s that.

Behold, a violin just for them:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/apa/d/vancouver-apartments-tailored-to-your/7097466083.html

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/apa/d/vancouver-cozy-cabin-charm-in-the-heart/7097440165.html

When you're too desperate / lazy to change the copy from your AirBnB listing.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 23, 2020

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/apa/d/vancouver-live-work-play-in-sty-at/7095435169.html

Holy cow.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/apa/d/vancouver-brand-new-2-bed-2-bath-water/7066705215.html

The layout of this unit is terrible.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Do people actually pay almost 4k for a 2bed unit? that seems extremely expensive unless you are loaded.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Jordan7hm posted:

It wouldn't surprise me given people stupidity think this is done in 2 weeks.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Seems wildly out of step with the market. I met a person that works in the rental industry recently and was quizzing them on what the market was like. He said it was stalling and declining. I described my ~750 sqft apt as an example and he said something like it would rent for $2100 in Yaletown. This one for $3200? yeah I dunno....

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

It might be that if you rent your investment condo on Airbnb and get 100$+\- a night, it can seem like a huge loss to rent at the real monthly rate.

These exploitative sharks are trying to get through this without decreasing their income by a penny.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

No new listings on Zolo or Redfin this morning. What's going on?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

half cocaine posted:

No new listings on Zolo or Redfin this morning. What's going on?

Real estate agents are getting their clients to delay listing until April. They do that in markets that are catering to squeeze a few last drops of blood from the stone. Happened to my dad when the market crashed in Red Deer a couple years ago.

Or they do it for some other reason, I don't know.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Even before this crisis there was a big for sale supply issue with so few listing. The people that were selling were only doing so because they had to. When I went to a few open houses months ago I often heard that the reason the home was being sold was for estate reasons.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Press F to pay respects

https://twitter.com/taintberner/status/1242117190754721792

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
airbnb is a bigger plague than covid-19

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Need a cumulative mortality function comparing COVID-19 to AirBnB exposure please and thanks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dreylad posted:

Let them fight.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/Nerwal85/status/1242810257870594052

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

That seems like an absurdist rule. Perhaps the thing to do is not carry a credit card balance so this isn't a problem. Setting up multiple accounts at multiple institutions so that if you get into arrears they don't come after your checking account seems a bit much.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/aiukliAfrika/status/1242883847165001736

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Plz post the followup where someone suggests they hold maintenance hostage but they can't because there's 3 construction workers who live in the building who are doing repairs for free.

(Saw it in another thread and I so badly want it to be real)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
https://twitter.com/aiukliAfrika/status/1242903950598209538