Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Excellent update! The decor in your caravan is very 80s. And by 80s I mean faded 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Miftan posted:

Excellent update! The decor in your caravan is very 80s. And by 80s I mean faded 70s.

Thanks- I think the VIN plate says '77 or '78 so it's doing well :)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just chiming in to say that I love and appreciate this thread and all your endeavors.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Bees!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rotten Cookies posted:

Just chiming in to say that I love and appreciate this thread and all your endeavors.

Thankyou :)

I loving know! First one I heard going all BUZZZZZZ MOTHERFUCKER brought a big smile as it donked its way around

Sharpe's Egg Sandwich

Grand day for it. When it wasn't raining. Ah. That's a lie, that was grand too :)

Topsoil, 150 bird balls, 10 primrose, 2 grape vine, 2 chokeberry, 1 honeyberry, 1 idontknowwhatthefuck berry

Pond is even more full and I probably need to examine what constitutes a lake over a pond

Muntjac deer.

Though I doubt they were responsible for this latest infamy

This pear and many other things continue to tease at springtime

We got to digging and there were many of these friends having a happy wiggle

We put 4 holly in but forgot pics- the primrose went in happily by the pond

And I put in two new blackthorn next to my favourite patch of existing blackthorn- should give a bit of genetic diversity

We investigated this thing which is probably some kind of fungus but develops quite pretty layers inside

The new trailcam came and I'm far more impressed- tested in the back garden it actually shot pictures and video of various cattes and refused to just shoot it's way through batteries and sd cards whenever a twig wiggled. We stuck it in a tree and we shall see what appears!

Put as many plants in the ground as we brought down, so that's a score draw at least

Measure twice, cut once. Then spend ages with a file getting it right- but I'm happier with it now

Internals are mostly in place now too, next I will figure out the easiest way to wire it all together and then undoubtedly do it the harder way regardless

Getting the deck cleared up a bit, making another worm bonanza with the scrapings

All the things that used to be dead looking twigs are sprouting these green things and I think we might be at 100% success so far- I was paranoid I would gently caress the process up so it's very pleasant to see

So that brings us to the end of another update- illness and circumstances are still giving me a kicking but it's heartening to keep making little bits of progress here and there. More soon!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

Muntjac deer.

Though I doubt they were responsible for this latest infamy

That's just what they want you to think :ninja:. Do not trust those devious, trampling, nibble-ful bastards

quote:

So that brings us to the end of another update- illness and circumstances are still giving me a kicking but it's heartening to keep making little bits of progress here and there. More soon!

:hfive: seeing it all progress is awesome, you're doing an amazing job!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

The fungi is called King Alfred's Cake, amongst other names and is found on dead wood. The black ones can be used as a fire lighter if it is thoroughly dry!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Niric posted:

That's just what they want you to think :ninja:. Do not trust those devious, trampling, nibble-ful bastards
:hfive: seeing it all progress is awesome, you're doing an amazing job!

Sometimes I even suspect myself!- and thanks :)

Catzilla posted:

The fungi is called King Alfred's Cake, amongst other names and is found on dead wood. The black ones can be used as a fire lighter if it is thoroughly dry!

I will have to give this a try, will get one of the workers to collect a few

shooting in and out

Early-ish start

Worth it though

Today was a rest day so I just brought in some more seed and mainly just had a wander and a look at things

Gave the damaged birdfeeders a closer inspection- this looks like damage from a beak and not a squirrel

Did the rounds and found that despite a bunch of deer poops my plants are largely untroubled and things are budding nicely.

Water still very wet

And there were a few buzzing friends popping out to say hello. Hello, buzzing friends.

This grass seed is old, but I put it down in a few areas of mud- will probably have to bring in some bark chips to sort some areas of path. Also went and tidied the caravan more, another 2 bags of rubbish hauled out.

The trailcam still had over half battery, which was lucky as I had forgotten to order more rechargeables- swapped out the sd card for a fresh one and came home to find....

That it works! More soon!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

The trailcam still had over half battery, which was lucky as I had forgotten to order more rechargeables- swapped out the sd card for a fresh one and came home to find....

That it works! More soon!

Yes!

Look at that loving poser.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Do deer eat primroses?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

xcheopis posted:

Do deer eat primroses?

quote:

Other common spring blooming perennials that deer usually leave alone include primrose (Primula), Bleeding Heart (Dicentra), Lungwort (Pulmonaria), and False Indigo (Baptisia). Peonies (Paeonia) are also deer resitant. Deer not only dislike the flowers, they won't eat the foliage either.

:eng101: https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Deer_Resistant_Perennials

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

In the first day of Cronoa self isolation I have binged this entire thread and I have to say I love it, it's even got me looking at how much a small parcel of land would be up here in Derbyshire to do something similar.

Can I make a small request? Would it be possible to throw down some Bird's Foot Trefoil in the short grass and bits of bare earth? It's really really good for butterflies especially the blues and the smaller skippers like the Dingy and Chequered ones and it's not invasive or time intensive, just scatter the seeds and leave really.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

Yes!
Look at that loving poser.

Wait till I get the video up- it stumbles around as awkward as me as a teenager within a mile of someone I fancied

xcheopis posted:

Do deer eat primroses?

Well whatever is eating them probably isn't deer then

AceClown posted:

In the first day of Cronoa self isolation I have binged this entire thread and I have to say I love it, it's even got me looking at how much a small parcel of land would be up here in Derbyshire to do something similar.

Can I make a small request? Would it be possible to throw down some Bird's Foot Trefoil in the short grass and bits of bare earth? It's really really good for butterflies especially the blues and the smaller skippers like the Dingy and Chequered ones and it's not invasive or time intensive, just scatter the seeds and leave really.

The costs for land are a lot more than they used to be- be wary of land you can't do anything with too- but if you can do it, it's an amazing thing to experience

Your request has been combined with the latest purchasing requisition order and had been passed to the relevant authority for consideration- I made her a cup of tea though, so I think we are in there! Good luck with isolation!

a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle

Hi

I went panic buying and somehow ended up with this too

With the little fruit bushes sometimes you can split them into more, or multiples will get caught up together in the same wrap- no luck this time

Wasn't planning on doing spuds but here we are chitting up a dozen anyway

Wanted some new tomato varieties

I didn't save any from last year but have some from 2018- those are on the left, the upper set just dried on tissue paper, the lower were rotted down a bit then dried. On the right, the seeds from packets to compare.

Chilli and pumpkins too. And some honesty flowers too, not pictured

Put them in these contraptions

Did some replanting as required

And it was quite required

And I got ready for a whole bunch more of that kind of behaviour, tis the season

Went to the other place, the nicer place

and I went with 75 litres of soil, 25kg of gravel, 2 rolls of fence, 2 bits of wood for fence stakes, an apple tree, a small pallet and a bunch of bamboo hoops

The birds been nibbling again- future birdfeeding equipment to be metal/glass in structure

The camera took some more snaps so I swapped the battery and card and changed position for a better ambush angle- also set to video only to avoid delay between modes after being triggered.

Most pressing plant urgency is this bucket of 10 hawthorn trees- left too long they will root into each other and cause a bitter fracas and a colossal ruckus

Small hole in ground, gravel, compost/soil, sapling, more compost/soil, then cover over with clay. Repeated ten times in various places to thicken out hedge lines- less effort than fruit trees

Fruit trees like this golden delicious- they warrant a stake and some more digging in

Got some more work lined up

It was a good day for it, and 11 trees in the ground seems a reasonable result- more soon :)

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 18, 2020

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Your request has been combined with the latest purchasing requisition order and had been passed to the relevant authority for consideration- I made her a cup of tea though, so I think we are in there! Good luck with isolation!

You're amazing, the butterflies say thankyou!

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

:3:

This thread is a great thing to read amidst all the doom and gloom.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AceClown posted:

You're amazing, the butterflies say thankyou!

Thanks :) -They also say things in german, but you have to listen really closely

mekyabetsu posted:

:3:

This thread is a great thing to read amidst all the doom and gloom.

The only doom around these here parts is played on nightmare difficulty- rip and tear comrade, rip and tear :colbert:

tossed salads and scrambled legs

You want salad? That's how you get salad.

And you just know I have been thinking of those beans. And peas.

These peas got soaked and are now putting out shoots on a windowsill- about a week's time it will make for a nice salad.

Some of the beans and some jazz apple seeds got started indoors too

Gathered up all my seeds and many were very old

But all shoved into a nice collection for spreading they look very pretty

This particular preparation of poppy probably doesn't contravene the misuse of drugs act

These spring onions are mainly being left to find out what happens

This cat has been keeping an eye on my trees

It's clearly paying off

4C on the streets 2C in the sheets

It looks so much warmer in photos than it was- the cold was biting

No supplies brought in, I was meant to bring sufficient targets and pellets to sight the air rifle properly but forgot

Hawthorn planted last time is doing real nice

This thing got frowned on a bit this morning- silica gel sachet was pretty soaked and condensation was evident. Not only that, but there's exotic looking beetles living in the LED compartment. However, on returning with the card and seeing it functioned well and captured multiple deer and fox and badger and cat and birb it will be given some respite.

Moisture levels in the caravan continue to drop but this emergency light had a combo of moisture and battery blowup enough to complete the circuit and make me wonder who left the lights on.

Definitely less wet.

And more green

Decided to do what I could to get zeroed in again. Shoot the thing.

Twiddle the knobs

Shoot the thing again

Better. That used up the decent pellets I had on hand, so when I went hunting it was unloaded- very few squirrels around today anyway, but had some good practice stalking and creeping to good position on some birds.

Made sure to lock up the valuables well before I left

There are more packets of seeds and such delivered, and sprouts aplenty on stuff I already planted so more soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 22, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Glad the 5 acres still appears to be thriving! :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's going to be the only safe space in the UK in a few weeks.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pesky Splinter posted:

As am I.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Pesky Splinter posted:

So am I :) I wish there was some way to record the scent and feel in the air of everything waking up for spring, it's really something

spookygonk posted:

It's going to be the only safe space in the UK in a few weeks.

Actually, I always considered the acres to be a part of the danger zone...

And I'm glad you are here to be glad! :)

John Brown's Schooldays

A bit of an update on planting and such I guess- first up the beans-

I planted the buggers up

I put marigolds in the gaps, the seeds look like little darts

Leeks and cauliflower up next cause it's what I found first

Everything is doing nicely- top left is the pumpkin, on the right the tomatoes and the beans are on the bottom- these come inside each night, I have another bean and pea tray that stays outside and isn't as far along as it's cold outside still

Time for these to do some work

Six pots each for these three

Then the six packs and little tray got these apart from the lavender

Poppy went in the sixth

The trees are getting leafy and diverse like this alder

Two types of lavender from seed- they need to be kept moist and warm so they will stay inside, and it might be a few weeks before we see life

Started a trial lettuce for a windowsill

And the pea sprout salad box is doing okay but a few went moldy- the next batch is soaking now and will probably get covered in soil to avoid that

Been knocking out my own bread again recently, what with the not wanting to be near humans. I mean, it's always been like that with me, but now apparently it's for my health

Well the kids are at home and so now I'm teaching at home a bunch and adjusting to that and the whole lockdown thing, but should be back on the acres friday for at least a check-up on things as either my exercise or my work or both- I want to see what's on the trailcam so more soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 26, 2020

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

...rip K Log :(
What?!
/checks Google

Kenneth Clark Loggins is STILL ALIVE!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

What?!
/checks Google

Kenneth Clark Loggins is STILL ALIVE!

Yeah I got him confused with Kenny Rogers and I heard the news reports and thought the man of danger had passed- my bad

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DesperateDan posted:

Yeah I got him confused with Kenny Rogers and I heard the news reports and thought the man of danger had passed- my bad

Ah, no that's fine, but yes, Kenny Rogers :smith:

fake edit: that bread looks good.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

So am I :) I wish there was some way to record the scent and feel in the air of everything waking up for spring, it's really something

And I'm glad you are here to be glad! :)

John Brown's Schooldays

A bit of an update on planting and such I guess- first up the beans-

I planted the buggers up

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

This is funnier than it deserves to be.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

fake edit: that bread looks good.

It comes out really well thanks and the whole kneading of the dough is good meditation/anger relief

TheMightyHandful posted:

This is funnier than it deserves to be.

Doxxing me isn't funny :(

squirrels on self isolation

I did a work/exercise/breach of lockdown conditions

But the birds need me

And the supervision is keeping to strict social distancing guidelines, so I think we are okay

And it is very pretty

Pond is less full

I set the trailcam up nearby as prints indicated it's a bit of a watering hole- review of recovered footage indicates badgers and foxes and buzzards and jays and squirrels and deer- I am going to edit the footage a bit and maybe get another haul or two but will then throw some footage up on youtube

Hopefully will have the rest of the thing finished soon so I can make use of this lovely power

Spent much of my time having a hunt round for squirrels while doing some filming of birds- wrong time of day to do either with much success sadly.

Found a length of terracotta pipe while I was at it- can't dig or search too vigrous for more as it was right on top of a badger/fox set and I don't want to disturb those cool buds. Seems old.

Boots on the ground again may happen tomorrow, or it might be home duties but whatever happens there's more soon :)

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DesperateDan posted:

Found a length of terracotta pipe while I was at it- can't dig or search too vigrous for more as it was right on top of a badger/fox set and I don't want to disturb those cool buds. Seems old.

If the hole is like a capital D on its side, it is probably a Badger sett as they are fat fuckers. You can tell it is active if there is signs of bedding around/in the entrance. You may also see some hair/fur around the entrance. Fox earths tend to be taller than wide and will have a lot of earth excavations in front of them.

You probably know this, but it is worth stating that it is illegal to dig/disturb the ground around a Badger sett.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

A delightful update as always, Dan. Especially since we're in these crazy-rear end times, it's a balm for the soul and I'm mad jealous that you have such a retreat.

Plus, you (as well as our 78-degree spring weather) inspired me to dig around the couch for some change and get some 4/$1 seed packets at the dollar store down the block from me. My roomie's niece has been staying with us this week since schools in my state are closed and her single mom can't afford childcare (what's left of it in the US right now, they're all closed, too). Today I showed her how to read the back of a seed packet, and so I taught an 8 yo girl what "sowing depth", "germination", "transplant", etc mean.

"So in... [looks at package] in 45 days we're gonna have salad?!"
"Salad you grew yourself, kiddo! How cool is that?"
":aaaaa:"

There was not a big enough :kimchi: for that.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Catzilla posted:

If the hole is like a capital D on its side, it is probably a Badger sett as they are fat fuckers. You can tell it is active if there is signs of bedding around/in the entrance. You may also see some hair/fur around the entrance. Fox earths tend to be taller than wide and will have a lot of earth excavations in front of them.

You probably know this, but it is worth stating that it is illegal to dig/disturb the ground around a Badger sett.

From memory most of the holes are all wallowed out a bit and bedding is turfed every now and then from many places and they are left very much undisturbed- and the trail cam shows both foxes and badgers on the prowl- maybe next time I will change camera location to near where I found the pipe.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

A delightful update as always, Dan. Especially since we're in these crazy-rear end times, it's a balm for the soul and I'm mad jealous that you have such a retreat.

Plus, you (as well as our 78-degree spring weather) inspired me to dig around the couch for some change and get some 4/$1 seed packets at the dollar store down the block from me. My roomie's niece has been staying with us this week since schools in my state are closed and her single mom can't afford childcare (what's left of it in the US right now, they're all closed, too). Today I showed her how to read the back of a seed packet, and so I taught an 8 yo girl what "sowing depth", "germination", "transplant", etc mean.

"So in... [looks at package] in 45 days we're gonna have salad?!"
"Salad you grew yourself, kiddo! How cool is that?"
":aaaaa:"

There was not a big enough :kimchi: for that.

That's really adorable and it remains like some kind of magic even now that these tiny things can grow into things

your daily allowable period of exercise

Yo.

At home doing educating during the week but still managed to get some more window salad underway, recycling containers as a necessity as places to get more are thin on the ground

I like pea shoots as salad leaf and so I'm trying to grow them super cheap using these super cheap dried peas- decided to experiment by planting both soaked and unsoaked and dear reader you will just have to wait for the results! (Not me though, I know how it worked because I'm looking at them now)

And some more lettuce

The first batches of pea shoots and lettuce are doing well and the others are starting to pop through too- including some peas that went past the marked expiry about 5 years ago.

The tomatoes are doing well enough, reasonable success rates with a few fatalities mainly due to over stretching of the first few. Throwing a few extra seeds in as needed to keep at least 4 of each type

Pumpkins and Honesty doing nicely

And thos beans are doing good too

And finally here come those outdoor salad leaves, still nothing of note on the flowers

Here we are doing things again. Or not. Here we are again, not doing things. Lovely.

2 spindle, 2 dog rose, a yellow raspberry and a ??? herb plant thing, and about half a bag of ericacious compost hauled in, but that's only a barrows worth

Another feeder is getting pecked apart and I just refilled it and slapped it back on the post because it was better than having an empty feeder there.

Lots of bumbles were around

And there's much new growth

Still no rain so the pond is less overflowing again

I had hoped to plant some stuff but decided to conserve energy and just did the rounds and birdfeeders/camera refuel. The camera got great footage, which I'm going through now. More soon :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

important pea shoot salad updates

So I'm sure you all needed to know the answer and the answer is that it doesn't matter whether they are pre soaked (to the right, orderly) or not soaked (to the left, disorderly), the bachelor's peas have done us all proud

Oh and we went out to check on the farm and exercise one of the kids so I guess you can see that too

Minimal loadouts today

Other than top up the water the feeders were left- interesting to see some emptied out with others barely touched

But while we were down here I thought it would be rude if not even wasteful not to throw 4 honesty plants in the ground-

They got packed in with a compost/soil mix then capped off with some clay from the dug out soil. It makes for rather pretty and quite hardy purple flowers, and they went in the patch by the strawbs and primrose to await further reinforcements

Worms often stop to have a little rave in-between doing their valuable work

And we interrupted our work to chase butterflies

Then we got the spindle and dog rose in the ground too. Awesome root growth on all of them.

And what's that in the background of that spindle, in amongst the new hedgerow?

Rosemary was that herb plant and it also got the ground treatment, so that's nine things in the soil today

Obviously all that requires a meal of fried potatoes and onion, we don't want to let our strength or morale drop

And that was followed with some coffee and cake. The cake is taken from a ration pack and was best before 2017, but was fresh, sweet and lemony if very stodgy.

Digging around today exposed some of the sandy patches- this used to be a beach only sixty or seventy million years back- shall have to ask my da what things were like back then

But they also tend to show themselves through the mud- should excavate one properly one day, as they often coincidence with gravel and both would be useful. Need me some miners.

This oak had some black ooze coming out and it's something to research. We poked it a bit with a stick. We are scientists.

And scientists wash up properly

And they leave a treat for beasts too

An absolute pleasure

A good trip, and you might be pleasantly surprised how soon the more is, so more soon!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ladybirbs and fuzz-butt bees, hooray!

DesperateDan posted:

Digging around today exposed some of the sandy patches- this used to be a beach only sixty or seventy million years back- shall have to ask my da what things were like back then

When I was about six, I asked my mother what it was it was like to cross the plains in a covered wagon.

DesperateDan posted:

This oak had some black ooze coming out and it's something to research. We poked it a bit with a stick. We are scientists.

The Beast!
(Over The Garden Wall reference)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DesperateDan posted:

Sap maybe? Or possibly a fungus?

The full Scientifc Method is:
1) Poke with stick.
2) Lick for taste test.
3) Eat some.
4) Await horrific/suprising lack of gastric consequences.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

^^^ it seems it's not sap and is some kind of bacterial or fungal slime that shouldn't harm the tree too much unless it gets excessive

sunlight disinfects

Ey up.

Goddamnit you don't have to be that socially distant I took a shower and everything

rowan, crab apple, bird cherry, myrobalan plum

Okay, you cleared enough of your plate for pudding

Got right on with the trees, all 4 in the ground according to rhs guidelines but for a large part of it my phone was off tied to a tree for birdfeeder stuff so not even pics of them all let alone the process

That was all I planned for but what the hell it's sunny, so a chokeberry and a goji get the mark III bush emplacement technique on the southern end of the main run of fruit bushes

Worms shall gobble thee up. Then ducks shall gobble up t'werms.

After lunch the kid found this in a ditch when we took a wander, a 12 gauge cartridge case, fairly heavy shot

Didn't feel right to plant a goji and a choke and leave their comrades still potted, so I ignored the protestations of my back and put the remaining two in at the northern end of the main run

Yeah this olive tree got messed up because I forgot about protection much like my early twenties lol

gotta wrap that poo poo up

So that brings us to an even dozen fruit bushes and a solitary fig in the nursery area

Camera was left as is because I forgot fresh batteries and a card it's environmentally friendly

Back at home I'm getting ready to pot up some of thos beans

The salad, both outdoor and indoor progresses

Even the flowers are starting to pop.

More? Soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

seedbob squareplots

Howdy pardners- happy easter

Big haul today- lots of water, a rowan, maple, cornelian cherry, small leaved lime and an alder (I think) as well as a bunch of general supplies, bird seed and compost.

Honesty flowers already coming through thick and fast

There were lots of these and a fair number of very bright yellow butterflies

Many of the new plants have suffered mild digging but this holly has been tugged out entirely no less than three times, one after the other! (Ah, for the youth of yesteryear)

So rather than tuck it in again, I potted it up to let it recover some. Then, this loving plant is going back right where I loving planted it

I mixed a lot of seed together- the big cheap box of seed was mainly just bran based filler (much like GoT amirite) with only 30g of seed, but it provided great padding for all the other poo poo I put in the spreader- the resulting seed got sprayed liberally in many damp, fertile and promising places (I ain't touching that one)

After that I gathered the remnants of the seeds, some soil, water and a bit of old chair my precision planting plotter

Rip up some grass and add soil

Then add seed

Top with more soil and water heavily

Repeat X5 and then do a few small ad-hoc non frame variety bits near the honesty. I forgot pictures of watering in general but I went round with 30 litres and gave pretty much everything planted this year a bit of a drink given I was concerned about no rainfall and none forecast (dear reader, it rained on the way home)

Seed resupply went nicely- the sound and feel of it pouring into the buckets does asmr type things to my head

Inside the caravan was A: warm and B: dry- I don't think I have seen the humidity that low in here so the tarp is working, but the fan system needs to come in before summer temps make this an oven

A nice trip, had wanted to plant up some of the excess bushes/trees but fatigue/soreness made themselves strongly known on this outing so I stuck to lighter duties and intend on some rest over the next few days

At home, the biggest beans got the bean machine treatment

The outdoor salad is slowly getting there

But the windowsill stuff will soon have a date with some cardini's caesar dressing- more soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

saw spots

Now then

Not so much of a haul but told myself I was taking it easy today

Set up and filmed the birds

And I got some of the cushions out of the caravan for an airing and dose of free UV radiation

Not sure if me cutting up a bunch of deadfall helped filming but it sure made me feel great- switched to a dry wood blade and it worked about as fast but felt a lot smoother

I then went on the rounds, took the saw and a fresh wet wood blade and cut back tree branches in the way or threatening to, then did path clearance- didn't have my phone for most of it but here's the general idea- cut away branches along a natural path so I can use it too, then advance to the next tree in the way and do the same. Viola, a new pathway, and when I come with the brush cutter I can mop up the survivors

Some of the decent wood got piled up to be rescued later in the year- other bits just got left as they fell to be dragged to piles because it's easy work to tire out the kids. Brought 3 batteries with me, spent them all up one after the other and feel like I'm really getting my money's worth out of the saw :)

Things were watered again as rain is still rare

As evidenced by the pond dropping a few inches over the last few weeks

Did more than I planned and felt pretty good afterwards too (sore today though, drat)

The tomatoes (left) and other bits are all doing grand and some probably need moving to bigger pots or the ground

And in the tray that got left permanently outdoors, peas and beans are starting to wake up (the other 3 all got brought in at night)

Had my first peashoot salad from the windowsill and it was loving fantastic, the lettuce next to it won't be long before the first crop

The lettuce on the right here is a few days older and I can't work out why it's doing better

And in a check-up on the bachelor's peas what the gently caress is up with these fuckers being all tendril looking? Why can't my kids close a door without slamming it? And what the hell is growing at the back of the fridge? Who the hell are you and how did you get in here? More soon!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Your salad garden puts mine to shame, you're achieving so much it's inspirational.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

cakesmith handyman posted:

Your salad garden puts mine to shame, you're achieving so much it's inspirational.

You are very kind- my little successes tend to only come after a few previous years of loving up and I have a habit of not documenting the gently caress ups as closely as the wins

Like I have currently uhm.. misplaced the leek and cauliflower sprouts I started a few chapters back. No clue where they are. Oh well!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

There were lots of these and a fair number of very bright yellow butterflies

That one there is a Peacock, the bright yellow ones are called Brimstone, fun fact, it's thought that the actual word butterfly comes from the Brimstones (as in a big fly that looks like it's been dipped in a tub of butter)

Should also be seeing some Orange Tips about now and Speckled Woods around the edges of tree lines :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

AceClown posted:

That one there is a Peacock, the bright yellow ones are called Brimstone, fun fact, it's thought that the actual word butterfly comes from the Brimstones (as in a big fly that looks like it's been dipped in a tub of butter)

Should also be seeing some Orange Tips about now and Speckled Woods around the edges of tree lines :)

Thanks for the ID's and please continue as and when you can :)

I see others higher up in the treelines that never seem to come close to the ground- I shall have to plant more things to tempt them into range.

oooh ahhh

DesperateDan?

Yeah?

It's like this now
I want you to go up the Acres next Sunday morning
And I want you to take one of your best workers with you
Car and all now is on the drive waiting for you
There's two makitas in the boot of the car
And I want no messing
And I want you to blow away two woodworking tasks

Easy to carry, fairly heavy but oh the mighty power

We went straight to work because that's how it's done, and I was more busy trying to pass on some of my limited woodworking skills than I was with the camera

But a new table went up. The one on the right. It's sturdy enough for me to stand on with no worry. that will do.

And then out of some recycled timbers we made a nice surround for the gas cooker- prompt testing showed a faster boiling kettle that made coffee 5.7% more special and 3.2% better

And then we stuck the birdtable on a nice post. Needs a quick varnish and maybe a bracket or three (as does the cooker surround) and then it can go in the ground and get to work (unlike the cooker surround).

We checked the plants and they are good and where I sowed seed there are new plants where we wanted new plants so the watering expert got to work

And then we set up the trail cam with a surprise- a recent shopping delivery was meant to bring some (honest, decent, wholesome) free range eggs but they substituted (evil, rancid, woebegotten) battery eggs instead- we won't eat them and we tried to give them away and failed so they have been left in front of the trailcam to see what happens and rumours that there were originally 15 eggs and 3 were thrown at a tree are scurrilous rumours spread by counter revolutionaries and other traitors to the cause.

A briefer trip but an excellent one all the same- more soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Thanks for the ID's and please continue as and when you can :)

These are lady Orange Tips, you can see the really cool marbled pattern on the underwing of that second one really well.

You should be able to see their fellas about, they're real pretty

Edit: Oh wow that first picture is a Bee Hawk Moth, they're pretty rare that's a good fuckin spot mate!

AceClown fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 19, 2020