Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Manifisto posted:

theoretically it seems like people with positive antibody tests should be able to live under significantly lesser restrictions, but I can't see how that is manageable in western societies. like, can you open restaurants etc. but require proof of a positive antibody test to be allowed in? sounds dystopian.

just got my survivor cert, moving out to the clean zones. later plague rats

Finger Prince posted:

Hey owlhawk I can't remember but do you have a 3d printer out where you are? I know you were talking about bodging up some ventilators. Maybe this might be of use?
https://opensourceventilator.ie

no 3d printer but that's still a great resource, thanks man. their squishy bag with a cam to squeeze it thing is brilliantly simple, way smarter than loving around with expensive computer controlled valves. i feel kinda dumb now, that replaces the whole bellows thing with one part (kinda hard to source part to be fair, but they're still available). i'm pretty sure we have one of those amu bags around somewhere too

google THIS posted:

It was the dopest of times.

It was the wackest of times.

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Time will tell and I may well be entirely wrong about this, but I think the US response and restrictions are going to be increasingly local and regional. Downtown Atlanta and rural Georgia are very different places in terms of how rapidly and how far this is likely to spread, and I think mitigating the economic damage (aside from shooting the $2tn money railway gun that is looking more and more certain at the problem)wherever possible is going to start becoming a bit more of a topic of discussion. So far we have been fighting this thing with a very broad, blunt instrument (and I think that has been the right approach) but hopefully in the coming weeks as we know more and more (and have more and more testing available), that will shift to a more targeted approach.

I think it has been especially difficult for a generation that has gotten so used to clicking a thing and having it at most 2 days later to remember that things take time.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

tons of problems . . . like people faking, stealing proofs from others, or just abuse the sheer possibility to go out regardless of being allowed to or not.

in theory, people would avoid faking because they are primarily hurting themselves by running risks they don't have to

in practice though people are stupendously bad at estimating risks, and allowing some people to live more normally would generate tremendous resentment in those who can't safely do so, and you would very likely have a lot of reckless behavior

so many "leaders" have been preaching and modeling selfishness and/or tribalism for so long now, we are at a loss for credible authority for acting collectively for the common good

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit

prepuce repurposed posted:

grocery store hell hive

love it

cda

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

I know the focus is rightfully on ramping up "do you have it" testing but I really want you see "did you have it" antibody testing come asap

e: i guess it's closer than i thought!
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-idUSKBN21C1KK

Assuming the antibodies provide enough protection against getting it again (like... assuming there's not multiple distinct strains) this would be incredibly useful if what you did is made those people do as much of the work with infected people as you can. But in America they'll probably just go back to doing whatever it was that they were doing before, even if it's not helpful right now

Macnult

Currently filing for unemployment and stuck at the "return to work" date because I have no idea when that will be, and there isn't anything listed specifically for COVID-19 stuff. Is that on my job, or on the state? Chances are I'll just call the dept. of labor tomorrow.

xcheopis

Macnult posted:

Currently filing for unemployment and stuck at the "return to work" date because I have no idea when that will be, and there isn't anything listed specifically for COVID-19 stuff. Is that on my job, or on the state? Chances are I'll just call the dept. of labor tomorrow.

https://www.askamanager.org/2020/03/heres-what-an-unemployment-benefits-worker-wants-you-to-know.html

Macnult

so yeah i gotta call them tomorrow

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC
What u goons doing to pass the time?

I been playing animal crossing and going back through the first 5 halo games. Also been trying to make music an hour a day, which you think would be easy with so much free time but is hard cause motivation is low.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
Animal crossing :palmon:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

i am largely purposely avoiding this thread because it's not something i can joke about. my sister in law and her kids all have it, and i'm worried a lot about them. i'm worried my mom is going to get it and she is in chemo for cancer. i'm worried i'm going to get it and i'm immunocompromised and somehow "essential" when my job is printing things and staring into space and thinking about soap flavors vs soap scents. it's ridiculous. i'm living in a hellscape.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

What u goons doing to pass the time?

I been playing animal crossing and going back through the first 5 halo games. Also been trying to make music an hour a day, which you think would be easy with so much free time but is hard cause motivation is low.

post the jams my dude what do you play?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Kief Richards posted:

i am largely purposely avoiding this thread because it's not something i can joke about. my sister in law and her kids all have it, and i'm worried a lot about them. i'm worried my mom is going to get it and she is in chemo for cancer. i'm worried i'm going to get it and i'm immunocompromised and somehow "essential" when my job is printing things and staring into space and thinking about soap flavors vs soap scents. it's ridiculous. i'm living in a hellscape.

yeah. my parents are both in their 80s and they live in a retirement community with a mostly conservative population that still isn't taking it seriously. My mom has Parkinsons and my dad has Lymphoma and it's honestly unbearably stressful.

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

owlhawk911 posted:

post the jams my dude what do you play?

a lot of things, but unfortunately not saxophone which i would say is my biggest weakness. I recently switched from focusing on rock music to being obsessed with making electronic, but it's such a different creative process that none of it's currently ready. You can find my old band here though https://drjmart.bandcamp.com

its like, alt kind of. I've always really wanted people to dance to my music, but as you'll see if you listen what I used to make wasn't very dancy. I'm really close to having a cool experimental-but-not-too-experimental electronc/dance project going, but I gotta hone the material a bit more. I'm kinda aiming for Aphex Twin but with Daft Punk danceability

oh i did a hardcore/synth/rap project for a little while as well which actually slapped https://theviolencedistrict.bandcamp.com/album/the-future-compost-sessions

Areola Grande

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

yeah. my parents are both in their 80s and they live in a retirement community with a mostly conservative population that still isn't taking it seriously. My mom has Parkinsons and my dad has Lymphoma and it's honestly unbearably stressful.

at least they're not in a nursing home. I've heard that's big time bad news rn

hang in there

Areola Grande

Kief Richards posted:

that sounds v scary indeed. my parents live in the middle of nowhere, so they're relatively safe but because they're not in the poo poo like most of us are, I don't think they're taking this thing srsly enough. they're talking about taking in my uncle who travels for a living and I'm like wtf NO

:redass:

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

a lot of things, but unfortunately not saxophone which i would say is my biggest weakness. I recently switched from focusing on rock music to being obsessed with making electronic, but it's such a different creative process that none of it's currently ready. You can find my old band here though https://drjmart.bandcamp.com

its like, alt kind of. I've always really wanted people to dance to my music, but as you'll see if you listen what I used to make wasn't very dancy. I'm really close to having a cool experimental-but-not-too-experimental electronc/dance project going, but I gotta hone the material a bit more. I'm kinda aiming for Aphex Twin but with Daft Punk danceability

oh i did a hardcore/synth/rap project for a little while as well which actually slapped https://theviolencedistrict.bandcamp.com/album/the-future-compost-sessions

my orb you should post in the ultimate hyper byob music creation thread i'm trying to crank some music out as well

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I would be lying if I said I was not terrified.

Manifisto

Kief Richards posted:

:sympathy: we'll get through this. spreading knowledge and safe practices has never been more important, and it's something we can all do.

ty nesamdoom!

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

Kief Richards posted:

It's scary, but hopefully this crisis will help us re-prioritize as people and nations and we will emerge a better world. We're going to be ok, and we're going to learn from this and make sure that we're ready for it next time.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Kief Richards posted:

This isn't a trite "we'll be fine, everything will be ok" this is a "everything's going to be as best as they can be" because it will, and it's from aguy who SHOULD be freaking out, but I'm not, because despite many factors that are unBYOB to mention and discuss, people- not governments or authorities, but PEOPLE are doing the right thing.

And it makes me proud, and it makes me optimistic.

Yes, there will be bad.

But there will be more good than the original bad that was projected, so it will be better than expected, but still not great because there will be losses, and that's sad.

I just hope there will be an outcome of more good, because of how close we will all realize we could have come to losing everything.

cda

by Hand Knit

Kief Richards posted:

i am largely purposely avoiding this thread because it's not something i can joke about.

I am also having a hard time being funny about it

xcheopis

I'm using humour to relieve my stress at work.

Macnult

i wonder what trick calypso would pull if the winner of the twisted metal tournament wished for corona virus to go away

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Macnult posted:

i wonder what trick calypso would pull if the winner of the twisted metal tournament wished for corona virus to go away

It would be with fish tank cleaner and we'd all go blind

Mummy Napkin
i work in a factory making door and window jambs so they've finagled their way of staying open saying we're essential. social distancing is impossible to enforce due to the sheer noise and having to stand close to someone to even communicate to get the job done. not gonna lie, big time high anxiety. several folks have been sent home with fevers at this juncture, not sure if they're even able to get tested or what the process would be, and no hope of getting even a temporary shut down. trying to find some humor and solace in it all reading byob, but working 12+ hour shifts getting up at 3 in the morning for this hole has taken its toll. hoping everybody is staying safe.

Areola Grande

post ideas on how to spend ur stimulus riches

i'll start.

1) valve index + half life alex

2) 24 years of playstation plus

3) baby blue vespa w/ matching helmet

4) a metric ton of blue liquid + a premium tinder subscription

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My mortgage payment :negative:

Robot Made of Meat

Kief Richards posted:

My mortgage payment :negative:

Most mortgage companies know that foreclosing on a million homes is not in their best interest. (interest! It's funny!) There will be programs in place to delay payments, and assistance to help with them. I know this isn't perfect, but it's not as bad as it could be.

You'll be safe, Hamjobs. You have to be. We're counting on you.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Robot Made of Meat

In other news, my company -- which had declared itself essential -- closed down today because of a few possible infections. I'm glad they're playing it safe for us, and I'm very grateful that I'm not in a bad position personally.

So, I guess I have time to do all those things I've been putting off because I'm too busy.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Most mortgage companies know that foreclosing on a million homes is not in their best interest. (interest! It's funny!) There will be programs in place to delay payments, and assistance to help with them. I know this isn't perfect, but it's not as bad as it could be.

You'll be safe, Hamjobs. You have to be. We're counting on you.

The only bright spot is that my cough is likely from anxiety and asthma complications right now (my nebulizer died and I have to wait until the 2ns for the new one to get here).

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

Robot Made of Meat posted:

So, I guess I have time to do all those things I've been putting off because I'm too busy.

That was my mentality going in but I havent stuck to it :saddowns: I make music for an hour every couple of days but it's mostly been video games. I am still workin full time from home though, so I'll forgive myself

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They aren't going to let millions go homeless, if you were on the edge before this yeah it might be rough and I am so so sorry for everyone that is in that position. If you have a bit of savings you will be just fine because there's lots of people with way worse financials. Going from high unemployment to a high homeless population is a quick way to make the US a third world country. That isn't going to happen. If it does happen there probably wasn't much you could have done to prevent it other than be born with a trust fund. We can all make jokes over a roasting barrel if that happens.

Seriously this is happening to everyone. This is not a typical "I lost my job" situation, it's "about a third of people just lost their job or are going to in the next few weeks". They are going to make exceptions, they aren't going to let everyone go homeless. "they" is bank (they want their money), state (they want your taxes), fed (they want to be the very best, and high homeless looks very bad).

sig by owlhawk911

google THIS

The good

- Already work remote
- Wife and I both work for government contractors so we fall on the "essential" chain
- Quiet commute for my wife
- State has been very proactive about enacting quarantine measures so things are spreading relatively slowly

The bad

- Several people in my household are high risk due to preexisting conditions
- Wife can't do her job completely from home
- Guinea pigs for schools trying to figure out how to do e-learning
- Having to brave the apocalypto-mart every other day to see if they've stocked some essential we're low on

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm trying to get my job to furlough me or at least let me work from home.

alnilam

Best of luck. If anyone's job can be even half done from home it should be.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

My job could be entirely done from home. Entirely.

That's the part that pisses me off so much. They're making me risk not just my life but other people's lives so I can email people about soap.

google THIS

Ugh, WFH should be mandatory wherever it's even slightly possible. My wife has a laptop and really tries, but too many of her duties require collecting physical signatures on physical paper and other archaisms.

Slumpy
Real posting, I hope working from home becomes way more accepted and normal. I never want to go back into my office.

I get more poo poo done, I can go to bed later, I wake up later, I aint gotta spend no GAS money, insurance is cheaper, less stressed out. Shits GOOD. Please let us continue this.

slumpy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
i may start working from home soon, which would be kinda tight. i'm worried because my sweetheart is diabetic and works in an assisted living facility/nursing home that just had a coworker test positive today.