Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

almost as if the american way of life is deeply, fundamentally unhealthy.

Stereotype posted:

I've been complaining for like a decade that there are millions and millions of people doing stupid bullshit work that literally only makes other people's lives worse and harder for absolutely no gain at all.

always been a fan of this buckminster fuller quote

quote:

We should do away with the absolutely specious notion that everybody has to earn a living. It is a fact today that one in ten thousand of us can make a technological breakthrough capable of supporting all the rest. The youth of today are absolutely right in recognizing this nonsense of earning a living. We keep inventing jobs because of this false idea that everybody has to be employed at some kind of drudgery because, according to Malthusian Darwinian theory he must justify his right to exist. So we have inspectors of inspectors and people making instruments for inspectors to inspect inspectors. The true business of people should be to go back to school and think about whatever it was they were thinking about before somebody came along and told them they had to earn a living.

it ain't perfect ("go back to school" is awful narrow, expand that to "pursue hobbies, passions, art", something like that) but the overall sentiment is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

please stop talking abou tmy small intestine itt.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SO DEMANDING posted:

always been a fan of this buckminster fuller quote

it ain't perfect ("go back to school" is awful narrow, expand that to "pursue hobbies, passions, art", something like that) but the overall sentiment is right

I'm fully radicalized at this point and I hope a lot of other people become that way too.

And I still have my loving job lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Stereotype posted:

It would be nice if everyone spent this time working on themselves and developing hobbies and coping skills and learning to use resources efficiently but lol that is never going to happen.

I would be having a much better time of it if I could do some of this instead of being unproductive as I wfh, getting distracted and then having to work later to make up for it.

At least the commute is nice, though, and my personal monitors are better than the junk at work :gbsmith:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

you only get $1200 if you make less than $75,000 as a single person so most of yospos is excluded.

ha ha! i'm gonna get all that free gov't money!! :buddy:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'm cashing my $1200 check and when tax time rolls around i'm paying half of it to a fancy accountant to find me a way to get around paying back the other half

i'm gonna blow it all on liquor and strippers!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
so the $1200 check is means tested based on your 2018 income????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m gonna have done about 50 hours this week lol

society is too far hosed.

if we had invested in tech so wages were high and property was low coz it wasn’t used as an investment, we could work less and enjoy life

as it stands tho wages are too low and rent too high due to society draining property investment

is it even possible to turn around

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's possible to turn around but explaining how step by step results in a ban

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Stereotype posted:

I'm fully radicalized at this point and I hope a lot of other people become that way too.

And I still have my loving job lol

Kazinsal posted:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Kazinsal posted:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

:ninja:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

some enterprising party promoter is going to get hosed

quote:

Don't get any ideas about throwing speakeasy-style parties during San Francisco's shelter-in-place order, party people! San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera is making an example of one such party scheduled for Friday which was selling $5 tickets on Eventbrite.

The party was titled "Lehar (Multinotes, Diynamic, Afterlife)," and in defiance of city and state emergency orders to enforce social distancing, it was supposed to happen at 251 Rhode Island Street on March 27, and there were apparently VIP packages being sold for $780 with "two premium bottles" and a special booth. The Eventbrite listing indicated that 200 presale tickets were being sold.

"There have been many acts of decency, kindness and quiet heroism as San Franciscans try to keep their neighbors safe during this pandemic. This party, unfortunately, isn’t one of them," says Herrera in a statement. "How someone acts in a crisis says a lot about them. The individuals behind this party have either completely failed in their responsibility to the public, are engaged in a cynical scheme to rip off people knowing this event will never happen, or are putting lives at risk in a dangerous attempt to profit off a public health emergency. All of those are unacceptable. Putting 200 people together in a club is the exact wrong thing to do right now."

The party promoter allegedly told police that the party had been canceled, however the Eventbrite listing stayed up through Wednesday morning and no apparent notice had been given to people who had purchased tickets.

There seems to be reason for concern that this promoter was going to try to continue being sneaky with this event, according to the SFPD. Police Chief William Scott said in a statement, "Local businesses have been overwhelmingly cooperative with the shelter in place orders now in effect... Unfortunately, it appears there may be scofflaws who either don't know or don't care. Today's preemptive move by City Attorney Dennis Herrera sends a strong message to any would-be wrongdoer that City agencies are working in close coordination to enforce the emergency order and protect public health."

Herrera says that his office is seeking information from the property owner about the promoters of the party, and warns that if the property owner does not make sure the event is canceled they will be held liable for violating the public health order — which comes with a fine of $1,000 and up to a year in jail.
plague time bottle service

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

The party was titled "Lehar (Multinotes, Diynamic, Afterlife),"

Lock them up just for this imo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
there is no sex in the quarantine room.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

getting similar vibes to the way people were during the big east coast blackout we had around 20 years ago

lol that wasnt ~20 years ago

god damnit

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

burning swine posted:

finally getting the shelter in place order in colorado

good

haveblue posted:

some governors are not loving around, the gov of PA yanked GameStop’s business license when they tried to claim to be essential

gov dewine did the absolute right thing. so did adam silver

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020/03/were-been-here-before-how-cleveland-survived-the-1918-spanish-flu-compared-to-coronavirus.html

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
like how the gently caress is virginia not on lockdown

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

its for lovers op!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

its for lovers op!

new hampshire gonna be a real problem, and i'm curious about how being the Show Me State squares with quarantine orders.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

it's a Bad State

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

new hampshire gonna be a real problem, and i'm curious about how being the Show Me State squares with quarantine orders.

New Hampshire is the granite State, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

yeah we know. they're taking their herd immunity for granite

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah we know. they're taking their herd immunity for granite

Go back to daoc, get your radon, and stop posting puns

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
virginia is the home of the confederacy and the cia; its a cursed state

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
shout out to all the people who thought japan had a handle on things https://rentry.co/covid19-japan-mr

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Captain Foo posted:

i was of course referring to their license plate slogan which is the only notable aspect of new hampshire

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

Go back to daoc, get your radon, and stop posting puns

my jokes have an R0 of 4.20 and a 69% laugh rate. i'm doing gods work here foo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

graph posted:

lol that wasnt ~20 years ago

god damnit

i had to google the date and i thought "wait what"

now THAT was a loving party.

i went into the local grocery store that was running on backup generators the first night, so I could get beer. It was dark in the store, debit/credit didn't work, and people were just cracking open beers and booze in the store and drinking them as they shopped, leaving empties on random shelves.

it ruled.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

graph posted:

been asking myself that for the last week now.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

i was of course referring to their license plate slogan which is the only notable aspect of new hampshire

it's pretty, and it's nice enough overall. definitely has its eccentricities, and i'm glad i'm in vermont where we have a sensible stay at home order and are coordinating a good response instead. i'm wondering if it'd be safer to shut down restaurants entirely, even if it's just curbside / drive-thru pickup. some will have trouble getting meals if they do though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

Missouri is the show me state and its on their license plate

New Hampshire is the Live Free Or Die license plate and I guess they're choosing the latter

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i walked out of an elevator and 15 seconds later the blackout happened. lol

i lived in coventry at the time and gosh was that a blast

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

Missouri is the show me state and its on their license plate

New Hampshire is the Live Free Or Die license plate and I guess they're choosing the latter

i thought it was the “ride to live, live to ride” state

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It's live free and die anyway

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The police have found the superspreaders

https://twitter.com/DerbysPolice/status/1243168931503882241?s=19

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
experiencing a modicum of pleasure during bleak times in a way that causes no harm to anyone: NOT ESSENTIAL

HER MAJESTY'S GOUVERNMENT REQOUIRES YOUR COUMPLIANCE, SUBJECT

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

experiencing a modicum of pleasure during bleak times in a way that causes no harm to anyone: NOT ESSENTIAL

HER MAJESTY'S GOUVERNMENT REQOUIRES YOUR COUMPLIANCE, SUBJECT

I get why they would go and check but they should probably not have then turned the footage into a PSA

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The Peak District didn't really give me any modicum of pleasure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

everything they show in that video is "reasonable exercise with [presumably] people you already live with," i.e. the one sort of outdoor activity the experts are saying is a-ok

i get it, though. the cops are probably going stir-crazy looking for people to arrest. everyone's routine is disrupted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you don't need to drive hours away from your home to walk your dog.