Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do it, coward. sacrifice your life to make number go up for company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

hockey jockey posted:

The Queen however remains in good health. This is in no way suspicious, so stop going on about it OKAY???

Aye, you know if he's been tested they've all been tested. So why aren't they saying she tested negative?

Fuckin deid

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

People walked past the school where I am working yesterday. Started mouthing off about us having too many teachers in (two) to handle the amount of kids (eight) and that we should be on skeletal staff. Wouldn't go away, then told me to come closer to the the gate so they didn't have to shout. I told the other teacher to take the kids away then I told them if they were so worried about the virus, they should gently caress off home. :cool:

So that'll be a fun phone call later. :ohdear:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I don't even know where to start as it's a rabbit hole to begin with, I've had a history with alcohol and I'm in a much better place these days. I appreciate your concern and I also thank you for the kind words that you have expressed to me these past few days.

We don't seem to make a big a deal of isolation/loneliness as we should and I think we have the fear that if we say 'I am lonely', it will be treated the same as saying 'I have a poorly tummy' and so we don't share this problem with others and get support.

But the reality is that we are more like those birds that pull their all feathers out if you keep them on their own. If you don't have support at this time, those empty rooms are going to seem really empty and surely one small drink is fine to take the edge off...right?

So lean the gently caress into whatever support you have and take it up a notch: if you usually text someone, call them instead. If you usually call them, video-call them instead. And don't be afraid to make the first step - this may be the time when we all realise the importance of others.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

do it, coward. sacrifice your life to make number go up for company

Thanks for making our number go up. Here is your termination slip, in the unlikely event are actually terminated by the virus (for which we accept no liability) we will send some flowers (£15 budget only, no lilies) to your funeral.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Our management is keeping us completely in the dark about what's going on, I've been working from home since last Thursday and we've been getting conflicting reports about if/when we're going to get furloughed, if our depots are staying open or if they're closing. I'm not sure if no one knows what's going on, or if they're just keeping it all secrets for some baffling reason

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prince Charles has the Corona

Not only that, but the selfish oval office flew himself (when already infected) and his gang of flunkies, arsewipers, toothpaste-squeezers and assorted hangers-on up to rural Aberdeenshire, where you can bet they haven't been self-isolating, but will have been wandering around the villages like Braemar, Aboyne, Ballater & so on, infecting the locals in an area without the infrastructure to cope. :guillotine:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah there's no risk of virus drifting in on the breeze and it is less survivable in fresh air.

https://youtu.be/4chSOb3bY6Y

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Shut up Meg posted:

We don't seem to make a big a deal of isolation/loneliness as we should and I think we have the fear that if we say 'I am lonely', it will be treated the same as saying 'I have a poorly tummy' and so we don't share this problem with others and get support.

But the reality is that we are more like those birds that pull their all feathers out if you keep them on their own. If you don't have support at this time, those empty rooms are going to seem really empty and surely one small drink is fine to take the edge off...right?

So lean the gently caress into whatever support you have and take it up a notch: if you usually text someone, call them instead. If you usually call them, video-call them instead. And don't be afraid to make the first step - this may be the time when we all realise the importance of others.

I don't know you very well but I like you. New poster?

Seriously though, this is good advice. I've been in voluntary isolation for the past 2 years because of mental health issues, it would be good if more people thought about everyone lonely.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
If self-employed get this 80% of earnings, do we get it regardless, or only if we've stopped making money? I'm still making money but of course the aid would be a massive help if I can get it as well, especially as who knows whats going to be happening in a few months.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The royals all dying of Covid would be sensational

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
How's the market/shopping situation in your part of the town/country? We got another round of groceries and cleaning supplies (including a 16 pack tp) brought in by friends and spent the entire afternoon washing packages with soapy water and cradling the whole chicken like a baby when drying the packaging. All major market online delivery systems are fully booked and afaik there is no way that you can get into "vulnerable list" (my gf has chronic asthma so she mailed Sainsbury's and Tescos for some guidance) if you are not already in it (I imagine even the vulnerable list being full, with all the requests).

We haven't been out since, uh, idk, 2 weeks now with one exception for meds from Canary Wharf so I don't know how the actual market situation in London. It feels like the initial panic buying winded down a little bit but some friends posted entirely empty markets from up North and some people in Manchester mentioned not being able to find long-lasting stuff.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Ah sick, the mental health support I applied for 8 months ago was cancelled today

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Ah sick, the mental health support I applied for 8 months ago was cancelled today

Oh poo poo, sorry to hear that my man. Anything we can do to help?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Galewolf posted:

Oh poo poo, sorry to hear that my man. Anything we can do to help?

Honestly, I’m all too familiar with this exact situation even without the extinction of mankind looming over us. Thanks for your sweet words and concern though.

My biggest issue at the moment is just trying to get over how impossible and pointless everything feels at the moment. I’ve missed loads of college / uni related emails and havent been doing any work because it just feels like this isnt ever going to end

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Honestly, I’m all too familiar with this exact situation even without the extinction of mankind looming over us. Thanks for your sweet words and concern though.

My biggest issue at the moment is just trying to get over how impossible and pointless everything feels at the moment. I’ve missed loads of college / uni related emails and havent been doing any work because it just feels like this isn't ever going to end

I'm also well too familiar with that, trust me (long history of anxiety and depression with therapy). I also have missed alot of work related stuff because I'm on a "does it even matter anymore?" which actually jeopardizes my visa status (the extension is tied to the profits) when I apply for an extension.

I have found some solace in work and cooking (baking bread, pickling, drying veggies for later use, etc.), which helps with:

-Reducing and limiting the amount of time spent reading/listening corona related news and spiraling back.
-Bracing for the post-virus times which I assume would be rough job-wise (I'm a freelancer)

I do video game hours as reward after completing certain tasks and do some bodyweight exercises to keep active.

I mean, not to spin this conversation into self-promotion or anything but maybe you can find something that'll keep you mentally and physically engaged so that it'll distract you from the bad thoughts.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The weather's warming up, the leaves are budding on the trees and I'm stuck indoors by myself gaining weight and being extremely bored.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

same as every year

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
yes but this year was going to be different!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I went out for a single walk the other day and now my sinuses have started to hurt, guess this is the end for me

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

The weather's warming up, the leaves are budding on the trees and I'm stuck indoors by myself gaining weight and being extremely bored.

gently caress, it's like London is the worst place to be in social terms which is like the whole gimmick of the city was being able to do all sorts of different things outside and be able to find all sorts of entertainment. Now it feels like just an expensive prison yard :smith:

We are not going out for our government-sanctioned one hour run because at some point we felt like "we're complaining about people being out and we're out as well". Idk, people who has no option other than to go to work and essential employees are fighting a different battle outside so we thought we can be out of the way as much as possible.

We're going to have a terrace to terrace socializing with our neighbor tomorrow, though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Galewolf posted:

gently caress, it's like London is the worst place to be in social terms which is like the whole gimmick of the city was being able to do all sorts of different things outside and be able to find all sorts of entertainment. Now it feels like just an expensive prison yard :smith:

We are not going out for our government-sanctioned one hour run because at some point we felt like "we're complaining about people being out and we're out as well". Idk, people who has no option other than to go to work and essential employees are fighting a different battle outside so we thought we can be out of the way as much as possible.

We're going to have a terrace to terrace socializing with our neighbor tomorrow, though.

I'm still running but population density here is much lower, I'm fortunate to live on the very edge of the city and can get into mostly deserted countryside in minutes on foot. I think I exposed myself(/others) to at MIMIMUM 50 times the risk from a single shopping trip this morning than running every day for the whole lockdown, what with having to touch groceries, trolleys and so on plus just the number of people there and the more enclosed space.

I dunno, I might be trying to justify this to myself, but it's still OK on the official advice, I'm super careful with the 6 foot thing and I can't see my immune system appreciating a sedentary lifestyle of the IMMENSE mood crashes I get when I can't run. Stress depresses immune system function a fuckton.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the best thing is when you go out for a walk and theres people running everywhere breathing heavily all over you as they pass

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

I'm still running but population density here is much lower, I'm fortunate to live on the very edge of the city and can get into mostly deserted countryside in minutes on foot. I think I exposed myself(/others) to at MIMIMUM 50 times the risk from a single shopping trip this morning than running every day for the whole lockdown, what with having to touch groceries, trolleys and so on plus just the number of people there and the more enclosed space.

I dunno, I might be trying to justify this to myself, but it's still OK on the official advice, I'm super careful with the 6 foot thing and I can't see my immune system appreciating a sedentary lifestyle of the IMMENSE mood crashes I get when I can't run. Stress depresses immune system function a fuckton.

No you're absolutely right, running by yourself in a park is the least exposure intense thing compared to going to a market. Hell, even getting deliveries is worse since you can't know if the packaging is clean or not. Get your outdoors before stricter measures roll in.

We were enjoying our daily walks (and I did C25k) but my gf got more and more worried about being outside as she has ashtma so I decided to keep ourselves inside as much as we can. We're luck that we have a small contained garden I can do situps and bodyweight excersizes so I guess it'll be okay.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
GP says we have coronavirus but we're still alive so that's good. If anyone is wondering what it feels like for a moderately healthy 34 year old, I could only describe it as Flu's big brother.

Also, if you're unlucky enough to contract this loving thing, say goodbye to sleeping throughout the night as you'll be waking up with coughing fits. Also feeling like you've swallowed a bunch of razor blades.

Wife's a paramedic for NHS and can't work until completely recovered, but they delivered a little care package which was nice.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Galewolf posted:

yeah it sucks. work from home in the most expensive city in the uk lol

also, all the people are loving morons. you've got people queuing up for supermarkets sticking to the 2m rule, and then as soon as they leave they're brushing shoulders on the pavement and casually licking things

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Angelwolf posted:

GP says we have coronavirus but we're still alive so that's good. If anyone is wondering what it feels like for a moderately healthy 34 year old, I could only describe it as Flu's big brother.

Also, if you're unlucky enough to contract this loving thing, say goodbye to sleeping throughout the night as you'll be waking up with coughing fits. Also feeling like you've swallowed a bunch of razor blades.

Wife's a paramedic for NHS and can't work until completely recovered, but they delivered a little care package which was nice.

Oh my man, that sucks big time but hang in there. From what it sounds you are in the "mild symptoms" camp and hopefully, it'll get better soon. Please say our thanks to your wife and get well soon wishes. We're writing to my gfs MP to do something RIGHT loving NOW instead of twiddling their thumbs about NHS.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Galewolf posted:

Oh my man, that sucks big time but hang in there. From what it sounds you are in the "mild symptoms" camp and hopefully, it'll get better soon. Please say our thanks to your wife and get well soon wishes. We're writing to my gfs MP to do something RIGHT loving NOW instead of twiddling their thumbs about NHS.

Thank you. Yeah, others are more worried about us than we are ourselves. It sucks rear end but we're getting through it. In honesty, all this time I didn't think it'd get us but welp.

The street has just been outside clapping and making noise for the NHS which was really nice for wife. Didn't know anything about it but apparently it was an arranged thing across the country for tonight to show support

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah it was scheduled for today. I remember this from Turkey, we used to have the same thing in the 90's and in 2014 (?) for anti corruption.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stay safe London goons. At least you get to avoid other people who live in London.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Kudos to the DHL guy who left my package on the door step and stood the full 2m away while I came to the door to collect it.

That's gotta be a high risk job that pays poo poo.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Shut up Meg posted:

Kudos to the DHL guy who left my package on the door step and stood the full 2m away while I came to the door to collect it.

That's gotta be a high risk job that pays poo poo.

Probably learned from bitter experience in the last few days not to provoke people into screaming at him "Step back! Don't infect me! Distance!!!" Or else he has a healthy dose of self-preservation and has seen things, man...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Johnson has Coronavirus

lmfao

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/sta...ingawful.com%2F

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Oddly enough, Amazon who used to be so intent on leaving a parcel on my doorstep, ringing the bell and then immediately vanishing in a puff of ninja smoke before I even get to the door, seem to now ring the doorbell and wait a healthy distance away for me to casually pick up my package

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1243496858095411200

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/DanyaalCh/status/1243498262717480965?s=20

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
The best thumbnail

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Boris Johnson has Coronavirus

lmfao

Oh no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he