Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Larryb posted:

I feel like Ophiuchus got off a bit too easy though seeing as she literally committed mass genocide and wasn’t even all that repentant at the end.

I guess since they were able to reverse it they just decided that was good enough and maybe she'd chill out, or even come to her senses and rejoin the other princesses. If they hadn't permanently lost their powers I'd also just assume it was a situation of "We stopped you once and we'll do it again" but they can't even make that threat so who knows!

quote:

the other Princesses (who were kind of assholes themselves albeit in a different way)

Really surprised that Taurus Princess (who seemed to be the "leader" of sorts, she's the one who talked the most anyway) didn't just straight up yell out "STOP CARING ABOUT FUWA." Their plan just seemed poorly thought out, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

BIG HINATA ENERGY THIS EPISODE

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

BIG HINATA ENERGY THIS EPISODE

Cure Sparkle Transformation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_XS2jPm_N0

Nice and simple. It's always weird to me when the cure transformations change the character's hair and eye colors though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hinata is the goddamn best. But to be fair I kind of like all the Cures this time around.

Healin Good 04: Hinata's debut episode was pretty fun. She was stuck between her new friends, her old friends and a talking cat. Since both Nodoka and Chiyu are reserved in different ways, Hinata looks like a fun dynamic personality to shake up the trio. Now that everyone's got power, we can see how the team functions as a trio when all of them are around each other regularly.

Next week: The trio has a problem at the aquarium.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

For a change of pace, here's something that isn't Precure. :v:

https://twitter.com/MagsVisaggs/status/1229923138168860675

There was definitely a lot of love put into the character design for Sailor Moon. As much as I love Precure all the characters get like, two outfits tops. I think Heartcatch might have had a couple more due to them being part of the Fashion Club.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this is apparently going to be a thing:

https://twitter.com/toeiHERO_movie/status/1231378156050714624

It’s a new Den-O movie called Pretty Den-O Toujoi and while no details have been released at the moment, the title and style of the logo seems to be hinting at a possible Kamen Rider/Precure Crossover.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

For a change of pace, here's something that isn't Precure. :v:

https://twitter.com/MagsVisaggs/status/1229923138168860675

There was definitely a lot of love put into the character design for Sailor Moon. As much as I love Precure all the characters get like, two outfits tops. I think Heartcatch might have had a couple more due to them being part of the Fashion Club.
I really love anime where characters have a variety of outfits. Idolmaster is an odd tangrnt but it really gets this, Shiny Colors releases a new casual outfit for the girls every time they get a new idol outfit too, and you get fun stuff like alternate hairstyles, etc. The girl with the dyejob even changes it up every now and then. I get that its work but it adds so much to the characters.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

It’s a new Den-O movie called Pretty Den-O Toujoi and while no details have been released at the moment, the title and style of the logo seems to be hinting at a possible Kamen Rider/Precure Crossover.

I am so on board for this. Is it a full on movie? I know there was a Den-O/Shin Chan crossover special that was like 8 minutes long or something.

Endorph posted:

I really love anime where characters have a variety of outfits. Idolmaster is an odd tangrnt but it really gets this, Shiny Colors releases a new casual outfit for the girls every time they get a new idol outfit too, and you get fun stuff like alternate hairstyles, etc. The girl with the dyejob even changes it up every now and then. I get that its work but it adds so much to the characters.

Yeah I agree, it makes the characters feel less like slobs who are just too lazy to do laundry. :v: I don't think Usagi and friends wore different clothes every episode but they definitely had two or three outfits for a season and it's just really neat to see the acknowledgement that yeah nobody really wears the same outfit every day for an entire year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

People online are calling it a movie but I’m not entirely sure. It could wind up being a special of some kind. Like I said, as far as I’m aware we know literally nothing about it right now outside of the title and logo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of crossovers, some of the more recent Cures are shown dancing during the ending of Ryusoulger VS LuPat:

https://ffprecurespain.tumblr.com/post/190732141957/precure-x-super-sentai-im%E1genes-de-la-aparici%F3n

I think Toei may finally be starting to recognize this franchise as more than just an honorary part of Super Hero Time.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

God, yeah. Love Live kinda does this too, but not as well.

Also agreeing with the consensus that Hinata owns. Star Twinkle good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hinata is pretty great, Nyatoran is also great.

How many Precures have friends that aren't the other Cures? It seems at best all they get is people that they know in group settings, like the groupies Madoka/Elena had in Star Twinkle, or the other students in the cooking club that knew Kanade in Suite. It just seems like Cures are either loners who don't really have any friends until they become part of the team, or are popular and well known but don't actually hang out with anyone. So it's interesting to me that Hinata already has a couple of friends that she hangs out with, and even prioritized hanging out with them at the end of the episode over the others. I mean, I fully expect these two characters to never be seen again outside of maybe two episodes, but having a Cure who already has friends of her own would be an interesting angle I'd like to see fully explored.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A lot of the earlier seasons had Cures with non Cure friends (and in both Happiness Charge and Go Princess one was basically part of the team even though they didn’t actually have any powers), some of which even got their own episodes devoted to them. But yeah, recently Precure seem to just typically stick to their groups more often than not.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Does the guy from Fresh that sells donuts count? Because he loving owns.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Well, it's been 2 months since I watched Madoka and I'm still kind of obsessing over it. I feel like I want to gain a few more different perspectives on the series & movie, can you folks think of places to go to find interesting analyses or discussions (ideally ones that don't involve the word "deconstruction"), or translated staff interviews/behind the scenes materials and the like, basically any interesting bit of extra content that could further my understanding of it?

On a completely unrelated note I watched the first 3 episodes of Heartcatch Precure and wow, I do not know how to feel about that one just yet.
The first episode pretty much grabbed me immediately because I kind of love the art style? Its pastel roundness gives me comfy Ojamajo Doremi vibes and the heavy stylization works great for comedy. The dynamic between the two leads is cute and Cure Moonlight, for the two minutes she was on screen, seems very cool.
But episode 2 didn't capitalise on those initial strengths, and episode 3 was actually kinda bad in a way I really wasn't expecting a flagship title like precure to ever be. Like the scene where the student council president pops into the middle of a conversation to say hi and the fake tension(?) over whether erika will accept becoming a precure felt super jank to me.
I did hear the show starts out a lil rough, at least. I'll keep watching and see how it develops! I wanna see some fashion~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terry van Feleday posted:

Well, it's been 2 months since I watched Madoka and I'm still kind of obsessing over it. I feel like I want to gain a few more different perspectives on the series & movie, can you folks think of places to go to find interesting analyses or discussions (ideally ones that don't involve the word "deconstruction"), or translated staff interviews/behind the scenes materials and the like, basically any interesting bit of extra content that could further my understanding of it?
hidamari sketch and the interview where urobuchi says he just based all the characters on the characters from hidamari sketch

aoki ume's doujin where she just draws sayaka in a pageboy outfit

the psp game where homura calls madoka 'softer than the softest mattress in the soft mattress store' and gets a crush on her mom

hope this helps!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm also curious if we'll get some info on Hinata's family situation. Her brother and sister seem to be at least 12 years older than her and that's fairly unusual, wondering if maybe her father remarried or something.

I did hear the show starts out a lil rough, at least. I'll keep watching and see how it develops! I wanna see some fashion~

Heartcatch remains my favorite season but admittedly I haven't watched it since it originally aired, so I don't remember the beginning being rough. It certainly can't be any rougher than Suite with its "I'm going to quit being a Precure because I can't work with you!" in every single episode for the first 12 episodes or so.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

On a completely unrelated note I watched the first 3 episodes of Heartcatch Precure and wow, I do not know how to feel about that one just yet.
The first episode pretty much grabbed me immediately because I kind of love the art style? Its pastel roundness gives me comfy Ojamajo Doremi vibes and the heavy stylization works great for comedy. The dynamic between the two leads is cute and Cure Moonlight, for the two minutes she was on screen, seems very cool.
But episode 2 didn't capitalise on those initial strengths, and episode 3 was actually kinda bad in a way I really wasn't expecting a flagship title like precure to ever be. Like the scene where the student council president pops into the middle of a conversation to say hi and the fake tension(?) over whether erika will accept becoming a precure felt super jank to me.

Have you seen any other seasons? I'm one of the weirdos who considers Heartcatch to be a kind of average (and also not very Precure-esque?) season so if you're like me you might want to try a different season. Though that said I'd wait more than three episodes to see if it grabs you, because it definitely might, especially if you like the art style. Moonlight doesn't get a lot of attention until about halfway through the show IIRC. Though I'll admit that Blossom and Marine were my favorite characters in that season so I liked the first half better :shobon:

edit: also does anyone know if the Futari Wa Compilation Blu-Ray is up anywhere? I heard rumors about it but all I can find are re-uploads of the original show. I wanna see my favorite girls in high definition.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 28, 2020

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Pikestaff posted:

Have you seen any other seasons?
I watched 23 episodes of Hugtto! and came away with distinctly mixed feelings, I posted about it before. Well, I also saw parts of Futari Wa... With the German dub, back in my childhood. Probably not the most representative sample? But I haven't felt like going back to it.
I'm actually warming to Heartcatch rapidly, and yeah, it very much is mostly due to the art style. It has a real warm and healing vibe that's just perfect for me right now in my stressful state. Episode 5 also had some surprisingly engaging action animation, and I do like Tsubomi and Erika a lot more than the primary Hugtto leads.
The stock footage/toy ad bits are quite lame even compared to other ones I've seen (what is up with the heart seeds being, uh...) but by the nature of them being stock footage I can skip right through them, so that's lovely.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1233904419525271552

Someonemade a transparent version if you like to make animated avatar from it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 5: This week's story mostly deals with a rift between Hinata and Chiyu. Nodoka ends up getting them to work together at the aquarium, which has some fun moments. And Pegitan getting held hostage. Hinata nearly fights a general without transforming. Pretty good episode overall.

There’s plenty of time for them to potentially screw it up but for right now I personally love this season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out and so far this show is 5 for 5 in terms of episode quality (with some really solid character development to boot). Hinata and Shindoine continue to be the best of their respective groups and even Chiyu’s gotten a little better now that she has Hinata to bounce off of (she also apparently really gets a kick out of bad puns).

There’s still plenty of time for things to go downhill but so far Healin Good is shaping up to be one of my personal favorite seasons. Hopefully they’ll be able to keep up this level of quality the whole way through.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't wanna call Healin' 'mature' exactly, but it feels pretty laid back and character focused? Feels like a continuation of the best parts of Star Twinkle, like the Tenjou and Elena episodes. I'm digging it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 6: Wouldn't be Precure without a mascot episode and this one wasn't too bad. Latte and the fairies got some more screentime, and Nodoka's mom did too. Nothing real standout, but nothing too terrible either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 8, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

General this week sure did up the evil though including slapping Nodoka's Mom

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out. Not much to say about this one but it was fun none the less. It seems like we’re finally starting to set up the whole Grace/Daruizen rivalry though (the latter of whom earned a few extra rear end in a top hat points this time around by backhanding Nodoka’s mom).

I gotta say though, this show has really been doing good on the whole character development front so far (even Chiyu and Hinata got some time to shine despite the episode not being about them), hope it keeps up like this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 9, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Precure Miracle Leap (this year’s crossover movie) has been postponed:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XCmNjhpmmtE

Google translate of video description:

Announcement of postponement of "Mysterious Day with Everyone" movie Pretty Cure Miracle Leap

Published on Mar 13, 2020 "Movie Pretty Cure Miracle Leap: A Mysterious Day with Everyone" This is an important announcement from Pretty Cure to friends who have been looking forward to the release of the movie. Regarding the movie `` Mysterious Day with Everyone, Movie Pretty Cure Miracle Leap '', which was scheduled to be released on March 20, 2020 (holiday, Friday), the situation of the new coronavirus infection and the accompanying government and related organizations.

In light of the policy, and there are also productions that encourage children who watch this movie to cheer and participate in the dance, so we decided to postpone the release with a primary focus on preventing the spread of infection. To do. We apologize for any inconvenience to those who have been looking forward to the film, but please wait a little longer until the movie is released. Movie official website is here:

https://spring.precure-movie.com/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 14, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

One thing I liked and that stood out to me in this episode was that the gardener guy acknowledged the Precure showed up and fought the monster, and that the monsters are large enough and have shown up enough that people are aware of their presence. This is a good change from something like Suite, where even though monsters showed up in the middle of town, everything kind of happened in a weird bubble where nobody was around or seemed to notice monsters and magical girls running around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

One thing I liked and that stood out to me in this episode was that the gardener guy acknowledged the Precure showed up and fought the monster, and that the monsters are large enough and have shown up enough that people are aware of their presence. This is a good change from something like Suite, where even though monsters showed up in the middle of town, everything kind of happened in a weird bubble where nobody was around or seemed to notice monsters and magical girls running around.

Random citizens knowing about the Precure is fairly common nowadays actually (I believe HeartCatch did it too).

But yeah, in the early days of the franchise they went the Sailor Moon route of having most of the action take place while any potential bystanders are either unconscious or out of range (hell, in Splash Star I don’t think anybody even knew the Precure existed for the whole season).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 7: The Masuko legend continues. First Mika, then Miyo, and now Masuko Michio. He almost uncovers their secret, but gets his glasses knocked off at the right time. Pretty fun episode. Glad to see Precure's continuing some of its traditions even into the Reiwa era.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Miracle Leap has been rescheduled for May 16

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-03-20/precure-miracle-leap-anime-film-opens-on-may-16/.157720

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

quote:

In addition, the Precure franchise's YouTubechannel will make previous films in the franchise available starting today until May 15, starting with Futari wa Pretty Cure: Max Heart, Futari wa Precure Max Heart 2: Yukizora no Tomodachi, and Futari wa Precure Splash Star Tick Tack Kiki Ippatsu!, with more movies being added over time, for a total of 24 movies.

:eyepop:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Healin Good 08: That was a nice episode. Gave us some insight into Chiyu and why she wants to be the sports star she is. The series is keeping up the momentum, though it's still very clearly in MotW territory at this point.

Next week: A Hinata episode!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Having the mystical creatures from another realm have books full of illnesses that we don't (at least not in the same sense) is pretty cute, I hope we see more of that.

I should go practice getting winning lottery numbers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this scan just came out:

Note that there are two empty slots next to the main three, assuming the purple one is Cure Earth it might be possible that we’re getting a Green fifth Cure as well. Anyone got a translation for the text under the circles?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I can only read the purple one, it says Character A

The other one I can only read the katana for ra, though

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I can only read the purple one, it says Character A

The other one I can only read the katana for ra, though

Actually, looking at it closer the green circle is smaller than the other four so it’s also possible that one could just be for Latte.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, thats probably it because the other character behind the watermark and jpeg artifacts could very well be the one for te.

But why hide it? Will her appearance change?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, thats probably it because the other character behind the watermark and jpeg artifacts could very well be the one for te.

But why hide it? Will her appearance change?

Maybe they plan on doing something more with her later or something.

While it might be nice to have another Green (preferably one that actually looks green like Mint or March), I’d also be fine with just four this time as it would mean the team would get a more equal share of the spotlight.

Then again, Happiness Charge had four (main) Cures and only two of them really ended up mattering by the end so we’ll just have to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Pretty Cure Connection Puzzlun (aka the mobile game) announced they're shutting down as of June 20th. Not entirely sure why though, maybe they’re coming out with a new app soon and/or aren’t making the revenue they used to.