Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($493.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1234.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-23 20:33 EDT-0400

This is what I'm thinking for a potential coronacomputer. I live near a Microcenter.

I figured I'd take the SSDs I have in my current build (an i5-2500k that's made it almost ten years) and just bring them over. Any issues with that?

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What model are your current SSDs? If they’re long in the tooth, you can go basically SATA free and snag a M.2 NVMe drive for the mobo.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Schiavona posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($493.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1234.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-23 20:33 EDT-0400

This is what I'm thinking for a potential coronacomputer. I live near a Microcenter.

I figured I'd take the SSDs I have in my current build (an i5-2500k that's made it almost ten years) and just bring them over. Any issues with that?

There's not really any point getting the 3600x especially if you are getting a better cooler. The 3600 will be just as good and probably a bit cheaper.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Same with the x570 mobo unless there is some critical feature you require. A B450 MSI Tomahawk Max will do just fine and save you some money.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Ebola Dog posted:

There's not really any point getting the 3600x especially if you are getting a better cooler. The 3600 will be just as good and probably a bit cheaper.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Same with the x570 mobo unless there is some critical feature you require. A B450 MSI Tomahawk Max will do just fine and save you some money.

Got it, I picked that CPU because when I last built a PC, you wanted the processor that had a letter at the end. The mobo was due to being one of the Microcenter bundles. Is there any real benefit for a mid-tier build, other than onboard WiFi, to choosing one of the more expensive mobos? And are non-stock CPU coolers even required anymore?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

All motherboards are eligible for the bundle discount at microcenter, they just advertise certain ones.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Schiavona posted:

And are non-stock CPU coolers even required anymore?

You can get by with the stock 3600 cooker just fine, but it will limit the chip to some extent. Ryzens work by boosting individual cores in response to demand, and the most likely limiting factor for that on-demand boost is heat. So a better cooler will make it easier for you to get the most out of your CPU.

The other issue is noise. The stock cooler is tiny so has to go like the clappers under load. A better cooler will handle the same jobs much quieter.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Party Boat posted:

You can get by with the stock 3600 cooker just fine

Best typo, or as intended? :v:

This is solid advice, though the noise part is probably a bigger issue for most people than the small hit to performance.

The Hyper 212 black you originally selected is sufficient, but even with the refresh it’s still an aging design that underperforms a bit for its price. I’d consider an Arctic Freezer 34 for something slightly cheaper with slightly better cooling, or one of the 34’s “esports” variants if you want something in black.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
If I buy a 3900X that supports 16 pcie lanes and my motherboard has two m.2 pcie x4 slots and I put SSDs in both of them, does that mean my video card will only use 8 lanes?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Joda posted:

If I buy a 3900X that supports 16 pcie lanes and my motherboard has two m.2 pcie x4 slots and I put SSDs in both of them, does that mean my video card will only use 8 lanes?

1. Zen 2 ryzens like the 3900X have 24 pcie lanes, not 16.
2. Some of those lanes (variable depending on which chipset your mobo uses) go to the chipset, which then is a hub for more PCIe lanes to other slots.

However, depending on your motherboard, using a second m.2 nvme socket or particular PCIe slots *can* put the GPU into x8 mode. These allocations vary by mobo and your manual will have a chart in it somewhere that tells you what the division of lanes will be based on which slots are occupied.

But this likely is also 100% useless trivia because GPUs have near-zero performance change from x8 vs x16 lanes (exceptions are non-gaming things like CUDA GPU computation).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Joda posted:

No* (*on almost all motherboards). 3rd-gen Ryzen actually has 24 cpu lanes and typically 16 will be reserved for the gpu, 4 for an NVMe slot (or combination of NVMe/SATA), and 4 interface with the X570 chipset. The X570 chipset acts as a hub for additional NVMe slot, USB ports, PCIe slots, etc.

Often NVMe slots will share bandwidth with SATA slots, but there's only a few rare AM4 boards that share bandwidth with the gpu (and no X570 boards that I know of). Check the details for the particular board you're looking at, though.

E: Yeah, right now it's not really relevant for gaming outside of maybe a tiny, tiny effect on a 2080 Ti.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 25, 2020

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ok, thanks, I won't worry about it then.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im looking at upgrading the RAM in my desktop and I havent done it for ages, so I wanted to clarify a few things.

Currently I have an ASRock B85M Pro3 motherboard with 1 8gb stick of ddr3 ram. According to Speccy, its this.

Can I stick something like this in there to take it to 24gb? The frequencies dont match, but my motherboard should support both. Will the new stuff be underclocked to run at the same speed as the old stuff? Should I just ditch the old stick and go to 16gb of the faster variety?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NPR Journalizard posted:

Im looking at upgrading the RAM in my desktop and I havent done it for ages, so I wanted to clarify a few things.

Currently I have an ASRock B85M Pro3 motherboard with 1 8gb stick of ddr3 ram. According to Speccy, its this.

Can I stick something like this in there to take it to 24gb? The frequencies dont match, but my motherboard should support both. Will the new stuff be underclocked to run at the same speed as the old stuff? Should I just ditch the old stick and go to 16gb of the faster variety?

Memory needs to be installed in pairs to operate in dual-channel mode (ie, 2 sticks can send data at the same time = twice as fast)

edit: since your existing stick runs at 1600 CL11, just get this singe stick instead of the 2 stick kit. It will run at the same speed and you'll have 16gb which is plenty for most people.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 26, 2020

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Klyith posted:

Memory needs to be installed in pairs to operate in dual-channel mode (ie, 2 sticks can send data at the same time = twice as fast)

edit: since your existing stick runs at 1600 CL11, just get this singe stick instead of the 2 stick kit. It will run at the same speed and you'll have 16gb which is plenty for most people.

Cheers but im confused about where are you getting the 1600 MHz on the existing stick from? Isnt it running at 800?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NPR Journalizard posted:

Cheers but im confused about where are you getting the 1600 MHz on the existing stick from? Isnt it running at 800?

DDR 1600 runs at 800 Mhz (because it is double data rate)

When DDR first came out they started labeling it with twice the operating frequency, so that it would have a bigger number than previous standard DRAM.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Klyith posted:

DDR 1600 runs at 800 Mhz (because it is double data rate)

When DDR first came out they started labeling it with twice the operating frequency, so that it would have a bigger number than previous standard DRAM.

OOhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Awesome, much appreciated.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is it worth it to buy anything computer related right now? I haven't looked recently but have prices gone crazy with corona virus factory closings? I'm wanting to upgrade my storage to NVME's but when I built my computer 2 years ago it was during the time that RAM was stupidly over priced, I don't want to make that same mistake again.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Stock can be iffy on some things I noticed, prices are still normal though. Amazon is on a 1+ month delay for anything that isn't a "household essential" even if you have prime.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

owls or something posted:

Stock can be iffy on some things I noticed, prices are still normal though. Amazon is on a 1+ month delay for anything that isn't a "household essential" even if you have prime.

Yeah, they shipped a box of condoms before they shipped a mouse pad I been waiting for 2 weeks. Them are the breaks.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I just want to get general consensus. My SSDs are older. I have a roughly 7 year old 125gig Samsung and roughly 5 year old Kingston 250gig drive. At this point it's clear to me that they are both too small. I really enjoy gaming but the 250 isn't big enough.

I'm wanting to get a ~500gig for OS and non game applications and a 1tb for games. It's there an appreciable difference between NVME and SSDs for games? What about OS?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I tried searching, but didn't find the answer. How are prices on parts now with everything that is going on in comparison to a few months ago?

err fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 26, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SalTheBard posted:

I'm wanting to get a ~500gig for OS and non game applications and a 1tb for games.
Alternately, consider a single 2tb drive. $215 for a WD Blue likely isn't much more than you'd pay for 2 separate drives and you get a extra half TB.

SalTheBard posted:

It's there an appreciable difference between NVME and SSDs for games? What about OS?
Games: no.
OS: NVMe can boot real fast with win10 fastboot. No real difference for normal apps in use.

err posted:

I tried searching, but didn't find the answer. How are prices on parts now with everything that is going on in comparison to a few months ago?
Not a lot of drastic increases yet. Apparently everyone had piles of extra components in stock because chinese new year was happening when this thing kicked off, and the whole of china shuts down for weeks anyways. The main impact is that nothing new is being launched and a lot of stuff scheduled to come out this year will be delayed. Factories in Taiwan & China are partially up and running again now, though often at reduced capacity because the whole global supply chain is a bit hosed still.

Don't buy stuff you don't need just because the price might go up. Prices may go up, but then again if the economy goes into the toilet they may go down later.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Alternately, consider a single 2tb drive. $215 for a WD Blue likely isn't much more than you'd pay for 2 separate drives and you get a extra half TB..

That's a good idea.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm looking for a work-from-home system as an architect. I use AutoCAD2020, Adobe Suite, and some minor 3d softeware.

Found this set-up in SAMart and wondering if it would suit my needs:
T5600 - Dual XEON E5-2643 (1st gen e5), 64GB of ram, Quadro 4000, dual 500gb 10k SAS drives, Perc H310 raid card. 825W PSU

Can anyone help me decode that to see if it would meet these min. specs? https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...d-Toolsets.html

I swear I built a computer in 2009, but it's been a minute and this stuff is making my head spin. Is this a server set-up?

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 26, 2020

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just got a massive tax pay back and am gonna spend it on a massive upgrade. It's been a while since I spent entirely too much money on a new PC

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($418.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($70.00)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO Advanced Video Card ($400.00)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1892.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 12:29 EDT-0400

The plan is to have the two SSDs in RAID0 but is there even a point to that when you have an SSD with x4 PCIe?

Any other thoughts, particularly if there's anywhere I'm planning to spend too much for the potential performance I'll get for it vs a cheaper option, or reprioritizing. Silence is a priority.

This will be used for gaming, programming and hosting some of my own projects so the 12 cores will be used.

Arkangelus
Jan 23, 2007
Looking for guidance on whether I should move to a more powerful power supply when I replace it.

What country are you in?
US
What are you using the system for?
Gaming mostly
What's your budget?
$150 - 250?
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
Not sure if this question is relevant, but average/low graphics settings are what I shoot for generally

Current setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pRmjb8

Current power supply:
Cooler Master V550 - 550W Compact Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply

PSU is coming up on the 5-year mark. As far as I can tell it's still under warranty. Been dealing with some strange hdd behavior and maybe it's related to the PSU? Either way it's about time for a replacement.
PCPartPicker gives an estimated wattage for the rig as 472w. Is 550 still powerful enough (comfortably)?

I could try to get a replacement model via the 5-year warranty, but in case that doesn't work or the 550 doesn't seem powerful enough what PSU would y'all recommend?

ty

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note (and for a different computer), are there any general issues with using a SSD M2 => SSD SATA III converter in a pc/laptop?

Arkangelus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 26, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Joda posted:

I just got a massive tax pay back and am gonna spend it on a massive upgrade. It's been a while since I spent entirely too much money on a new PC

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($418.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($70.00)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO Advanced Video Card ($400.00)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1892.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 12:29 EDT-0400

The plan is to have the two SSDs in RAID0 but is there even a point to that when you have an SSD with x4 PCIe?

Any other thoughts, particularly if there's anywhere I'm planning to spend too much for the potential performance I'll get for it vs a cheaper option, or reprioritizing. Silence is a priority.

This will be used for gaming, programming and hosting some of my own projects so the 12 cores will be used.

The MSI X570 mobos have been noted as having some bad thermals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7PkZwY9PWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZWUOldsxXQ

MSI even wrote a blog post about it ensuring it's usable and some people claim that the tests given (no airflow, etc.) weren't realistic, but unless you've got a desire for that specific mobo and just chose it among X570s you may want to look elsewhere for the same price point.

Edit: for that price point this thread has in the past recommended the TUF-Gaming or the Aorus Elite; the latter I just got for my similar 3700x/2070S silence-focused build.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 26, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Joda posted:

No there's absolutely no point to it. There's barely any point to NVMe over sata for most uses. (And even with SSDs having great reliability over HDDs, RAID 0 is still dumb for failure rate.)

Also despite the massive tax return spending spree, Samsung are overpriced versus comparable high-quality NVMe drives. WD Black SN750 1TB are $150, or the HP EX950 is currently on sale at newegg for $130.

LimburgLimbo posted:

the TUF-Gaming or the Aorus Elite; the latter I just got for my similar 3700x/2070S silence-focused build.
Definitely the aorus elite since the asus tuf is apparently one of the boards that keeps the chipset fan spinning constantly.

seconding on the MSI 570 not being the best for the price tag though. (MSI 400s good, 500s meh)

ploof
Jun 5, 2007
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1083.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 13:04 EDT-0400

Pretty much the Flex 1080p at 100+ FPS or 1440p at 60+ FPS from MikeC's list.
1. cheaper power supply because the one MikeC recommends is ~$30 more now, and semi-modular seems fine if I'll be using all the attached cables anyway. PCPartsPicker estimates the system will use 394 watts so I think 150 watts overhead is enough. Still has 7 year warranty.
2. Added the aftermarket cooler on Ebola Dog and Party Boat's advice a few posts up.
3. Picked an SSD that seems to meet specs from OP and is cheap. Had a 512GB SSD in the old gaming rig and was too small.
4. RAM I picked is a bit cheaper than recommended by MikeC's post. Seems fine, is 3600 speed.
5. I could save ~50-100$ building in a micro-ATX case between the motherboard and case, but wasn't sure the ~7-in. long video card MikeC recommends and the ~7-in. long after market cooler would fit. Besides the money saved, I really like the smaller foot print cases even if they are a bit of a pain to build in.
6. Are the trade-offs for cheaper 2 fan GPUs vs. the 3 fan unit MikeC recommended (in my list) a big deal? I could save ~$50 this way.

Just in time for Corona Virus, my old gaming PC bit the dust this week. I don't have a 1440p monitor to support this build yet but want to upgrade in the near future. This build is super overkill for the monitor setup I have currently, but if I upgrade my monitor in the next ~year it seems like a better investment than replacing the rest of the PC later. I'm assuming I should hit the monitor megathread to find a "cheap" 27in. monitor for this rig later. Cursory check over there indicates monitor inventory is hit pretty hard by the legions of new work-at-homes so good deals may be non-existent for awhile (forever?).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arkangelus posted:

HDD: old seagates

Been dealing with some strange hdd behavior and maybe it's related to the PSU?

Some Seagate drives from a period like 4-7 years ago were known for some pretty dramatic failure rates, so I'd suspect the HDDs over the PSU. If you don't have good backups, run don't walk to backup your important data. (Always back up.)

Hard drives should generally be the least affected component from power issues, as they don't use a lot of power and only use the 5v line. It would be an unusual PSU failure for the barely-used 5v line to go wonky and the 12v to be fine. That's also a good PSU (gold LLC DC-DC by enhance), I'd be ok with using it a couple years past the 5-year warranty period.

Arkangelus posted:

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note (and for a different computer), are there any general issues with using a SSD M2 => SSD SATA III converter in a pc/laptop?

As long as the m.2 drive is a sata not a nvme, no issues. It's a passive converter, just wires connecting plugs to each other.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ploof posted:

1. cheaper power supply because the one MikeC recommends is ~$30 more now, and semi-modular seems fine if I'll be using all the attached cables anyway. PCPartsPicker estimates the system will use 394 watts so I think 150 watts overhead is enough. Still has 7 year warranty.
2. Added the aftermarket cooler on Ebola Dog and Party Boat's advice a few posts up.
3. Picked an SSD that seems to meet specs from OP and is cheap. Had a 512GB SSD in the old gaming rig and was too small.
4. RAM I picked is a bit cheaper than recommended by MikeC's post. Seems fine, is 3600 speed.
5. I could save ~50-100$ building in a micro-ATX case between the motherboard and case, but wasn't sure the ~7-in. long video card MikeC recommends and the ~7-in. long after market cooler would fit. Besides the money saved, I really like the smaller foot print cases even if they are a bit of a pain to build in.
6. Are the trade-offs for cheaper 2 fan GPUs vs. the 3 fan unit MikeC recommended (in my list) a big deal? I could save ~$50 this way.

1. Focus gold is fine. prices go up and down faster than that sample build can be updated, for a while RMXes were cheaper.
2. 👍

3. The Crucial P1 is a QLC drive. I would recommend other options as a main drive: the HP EX950 (while it's on sale), the Adata SX8100 (if you can't get the HP sale), the WD Blue SN550 (has no dram so not ideal, but preferable to QLC), or just a sata drive (WD Blue or MX500).

4. Should be ok, it's not on the board QVL but seems like lots of reports that is works fine.
5 & 6. The 3-fan card would be a bit cooler and quieter while gaming. It would fit in the meshify C fine, it's 280mm and the C supports 315mm.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm looking for a work-from-home system as an architect. I use AutoCAD2020, Adobe Suite, and some minor 3d softeware.

Found this set-up in SAMart and wondering if it would suit my needs:
T5600 - Dual XEON E5-2643 (1st gen e5), 64GB of ram, Quadro 4000, dual 500gb 10k SAS drives, Perc H310 raid card. 825W PSU

Can anyone help me decode that to see if it would meet these min. specs? https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...d-Toolsets.html

I swear I built a computer in 2009, but it's been a minute and this stuff is making my head spin. Is this a server set-up?

Yes, this is a server set-up. Don't know what they're listing it for on SA Mart, but all this hardware is very old and probably not going to be great for AutoCAD, which is largely still single-threaded. The video card especially will be eclipsed by a basic Geforce card nowadays in any GPU accelerated tasks, albiet they aren't "technically" supported by AutoCAD (though I've seen many anecdotes saying they have no problems with one). Consider building your own PC:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB OC Video Card ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $679.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 15:26 EDT-0400

PCPartpicker currently isn't listing any Amazon parts because of delays and wanting to push people away from places that sell PC parts along side toiletries and med supplies, but there is a cheaper version of the 2600 called the 1600AF on their site: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28/

You can also consider getting an MSI motherboard with a few debug LEDs to help you build the computer, or a different ASRock motherboard if you need wifi.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kRTzK8/msi-b450m-pro-vdh-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-vdh-max
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kcCFf7/asrock-b450mac-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450mac

Depending on your storage needs, you could also get a smaller SSD (don't get a PC without one though in 2020!): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LRkj4D/western-digital-blue-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-wds500g2b0a

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you use Solidworks, workstation Quadro gpus will have much better performance than consumer gpus. Otherwise a Geforce will have superior performance and save money!

Puget Systems is a good place to get hardware recommendations for professional applications, and Demostrs' build lines up nicely with their Autocad recommendations. If you have the budget and your tasks are intensive, you may want to consider moving up to a Ryzen 3600 for the big single-core performance boost.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 26, 2020

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
My wife had a Zotac Z-Box prebuilt PC for a couple of years that was acting up, and when we sent it in for repair the place said it was something they couldn't replace and just refunded us the full price. So now I'm looking to build something fun for her - has to be small (the old one was a 20cm box, which this won't be but that's manageable) and should be flashy with lights and stuff.

Main use of this will probably be playing Overwatch (and Overwatch 2!), but other games are a possibility. Will be used with a 4k 60hz monitor, and it'd be nice to get some decent quality settings.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (1759.00kr @ Alternate)
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG RYUO 120 RGB 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (1275.00kr @ Alternate)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (1815.00kr @ CDON DK)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (1729.00kr @ Alternate)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (2014.28kr @ Newegg Denmark)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Turbo EVO Video Card (5785.00kr @ CDON DK)
Case: In Win A1 Plus Mini ITX Tower Case w/650 W Power Supply
Total: 14377.28kr
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 20:56 CET+0100

Prices here are a bit weird because it doesn't seem to have a good selection of Danish stores; and the graphics card is the closest I could find to match, the actual one would be this one which afaict is within the size restrictions of the case

For the lighting I was hoping to get everything synched with the Asus Aura software, and I saw some app that could sync that with her Razer keyboard as well - making it look all flashy is something that would be very popular. I don't know if this would need an RGB controller for that though? The motherboard seems to have 2 aura connectors, but I'm not really sure how all that stuff should fit together.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Is newegg actually local in denmark, or is that price plus shipping indicate you're getting it shipped from the US? Buying anything that ships internationally seems like it could be a major hassle right now.

Anyways a gold-plated PCIe 4 SSD is pretty overblown even for an expensive ITX build like you're doing. It's more than even the 970 Evo (which seems reasonably priced in DK, better than the US). The Adata 8200 Pro is available for you at a good price.

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Klyith posted:

Is newegg actually local in denmark, or is that price plus shipping indicate you're getting it shipped from the US? Buying anything that ships internationally seems like it could be a major hassle right now.

Newegg is not a thing here at all, will look at something less wild to swap in - thanks :D

Chamook fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 26, 2020

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
B450 boards don't support PCIe 4.0 anyway, so you'd be wasting the money on that feature without getting one of the X570 boards. Again, though, not worth it right now and unlikely that PS5/XSX makes it necessary.

Stickman posted:

If you use Solidworks, workstation Quadro gpus will have much better performance than consumer gpus. Otherwise a Geforce will have superior performance and save money!

Normally, yeah, but I wonder about how well that Fermi-based Quadro with drivers from 2018 holds up even in that heavily weighted benchmark for it...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SalTheBard posted:

Is it worth it to buy anything computer related right now? I haven't looked recently but have prices gone crazy with corona virus factory closings? I'm wanting to upgrade my storage to NVME's but when I built my computer 2 years ago it was during the time that RAM was stupidly over priced, I don't want to make that same mistake again.

PCPartpicker has a price history when you select components, I just did a build and everything seems stable right now. When the components were to arrive if I ordered is another thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Demostrs posted:

Yes, this is a server set-up. Don't know what they're listing it for on SA Mart, but all this hardware is very old and probably not going to be great for AutoCAD, which is largely still single-threaded. The video card especially will be eclipsed by a basic Geforce card nowadays in any GPU accelerated tasks, albiet they aren't "technically" supported by AutoCAD (though I've seen many anecdotes saying they have no problems with one). Consider building your own PC:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB OC Video Card ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $679.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-26 15:26 EDT-0400

PCPartpicker currently isn't listing any Amazon parts because of delays and wanting to push people away from places that sell PC parts along side toiletries and med supplies, but there is a cheaper version of the 2600 called the 1600AF on their site: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28/

You can also consider getting an MSI motherboard with a few debug LEDs to help you build the computer, or a different ASRock motherboard if you need wifi.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kRTzK8/msi-b450m-pro-vdh-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-vdh-max
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kcCFf7/asrock-b450mac-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450mac

Depending on your storage needs, you could also get a smaller SSD (don't get a PC without one though in 2020!): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LRkj4D/western-digital-blue-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-wds500g2b0a

Thank you!