Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Masque of The Red Death is my favorite Corman/Price collaboration. I just love those sets and costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I read the short story not long ago and was surprised to find all the colour themes were in there. Corman clearly had a huge affection for the source materail.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Masque of The Red Death is my favorite Corman/Price collaboration. I just love those sets and costumes.

Im with you there. My all time favorite use of color in any movie ever. It's really a masterpiece. Def in my top 3 Price movies (vying with Phibes and Witchfinder General)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The Pit and the Pendulum 1991

I guess I'm on a Poe kick. The passing of the great Stuart Gordon gave me a chance to round out his catalog. I grew up with Re-Animator and From Beyond, and consider them some of the best, if loose, adaptations of Lovecraft I'd ever seen. I'm saving Castle Rock for a special time.

I re-read the short story going in. How 8 tiny pages of existential dread gets converted into a feature length movie, I don't know, but boy howdy, I'm so glad I found out!

The film opens with Lance Henriksen channeling Vincent Price in trying a desiccated corpse for heresy, and then orders the corpse pulverized into ashy pulp having been found guilty. It just gets crazier from there. Lance Henrikson chews up scenery like it's candy and delivers probably his most unhinged performance to date.

Medieval torture, T&A, witchcraft and magic. I'm starting to suspect Stuart Gordon was a little bit of a pervert in his day.

poo poo was wild.

Underrated Gordon film imo, it's not one of his best but definitely worthwhile.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Voting for the Horror March Madness, Pittsburgh Division is now open. If you want to make sure Silent Night, Deadly Night doesn't take down Night of the Living Dead, you gotta vote!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, the Pet Semetary kind thing boiled down basically to "An older kid would be way more threatening to an adult than a toddler".

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Voting for the Horror March Madness, Pittsburgh Division is now open. If you want to make sure Silent Night, Deadly Night doesn't take down Night of the Living Dead, you gotta vote!

but Silent Night Deadly Night > NotLD :smuggo:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

but Silent Night Deadly Night > NotLD :smuggo:

Dude.

Dude.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The bathroom scene where he's brushing the daughters hair in the remake is really chilling and the daughter did a really good job.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

let me rephrase

Night of the Living Dead is the BETTER movie

but I personally enjoy SNDN more

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I rewatched the Silent Night Deadly Night movies and they are a slog.

I don't really appreciate the brand of slasher that does everything it can to be unpleasant and bleak without balancing it with anything entertaining. It has a through-line of misogyny in the first two films that basically permanently excludes it from group watches. The "Garbage Day!" meme is fun, and the car battery kill is silly, but that's a small piece of good meat surrounded by ounces of rancid fat.

When people posit slashers hate women, in general I disagree, but SNDN hates women.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can enjoy Silent Night Deadly Night, but it has to be like 5 beers in at 1am. Night of the Living Dead is great for a night of spooky atmosphere no matter what state of mind I'm in.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My favorite film experience in recent years was seeing a screening with live music and hearing people scoff and giggle at the start of the movie and then shuffle out in stunned silence. Living Dead is a movie that claps back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, the Pet Semetary kind thing boiled down basically to "An older kid would be way more threatening to an adult than a toddler".

Yeah, but a haunted toddler is a whole different ball game

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

IIRC the directors talked about it pre-release and it was a little bit that, but mostly a logistical thing, since Miko Hughes is no longer a toddler and good 3-year-old actors are a pain to find.

Yeah I don't envy anyone trying to catch that lightning twice. I'm willing to strongly bet Miko can't act half as well now as he could as a baby and I mean that in the nicest way possible

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

My favorite film experience in recent years was seeing a screening with live music and hearing people scoff and giggle at the start of the movie and then shuffle out in stunned silence. Living Dead is a movie that claps back.

100%. NotLD does not gently caress around one bit and is one of the quintessential horror theatre experiences for just that. I love a movie (usually horror) that beats an audience into submission.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A nice little write-up of Stuart Gordon:

https://twitter.com/gordon_book/status/1243243456912330753?s=20

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Honestly I don't really get upset over celebrity deaths but Stuart Gordon dying really sucks. How lucky are we to be able to enjoy his movies. RIP Gordon thank you for the hours upon hours of fantastic entertainment and art.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Same, etc. There are some great directors working right now, but there's nobody else I can point to who makes movies as fun as he did.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Gordon's horror was crazy and fun, like a lot of good 80's horror was. Evil Dead, ROTLD, Re-Animator/From Beyond, NOES 3, Night of the Creeps, and then you have the second tier poo poo that's goofy but still played semi serious and still good and fun like Critters/2 and Ghoulies/2. It feels like nobody is making anything like this poo poo anymore.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Nobodies making movies like Gordon. I mean there's just not a lot of fun gore with the last good one for me was Tucker and Dale.

Ash vs Evil Dead kind of hits that perfect combo of humor and gore.

I mean all of Gordon's films have this absurdity of horror feel to them even his 100 percent horror all the way but his best will always be that mixture of absurdity and gore that so many directors try to achieve and miss.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gordon was not one of the UNTOUCHABLES, but the man was one of the all time greats and it's a drat shame that he isn't better known.

The untouchables being whoever the gently caress you want them to be at any given time. Easy ones being Carpenter, Romero and

Who would the third one be? I genuinely can't decide

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the criterion article links to it, but here's a really nice round-up of some eulogies for mr gordon:

https://www.talkhouse.com/talkhouse-film-contributors-remember-stuart-gordon/

some lovely words in there from names a lot of people will recognise. i also learned that Richard Stanley has an uncredited role in DAGON! that's cool.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 26, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Burkion posted:

Gordon was not one of the UNTOUCHABLES, but the man was one of the all time greats and it's a drat shame that he isn't better known.

The untouchables being whoever the gently caress you want them to be at any given time. Easy ones being Carpenter, Romero and

Who would the third one be? I genuinely can't decide

Fulci, and of course Mike Flanagan

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fulci, and of course Mike Flanagan

Fulci, I knew I was forgetting someone.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm a Craven stan

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zombie

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Exactly, Fulci was already said

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

alf_pogs posted:

i also learned that Richard Stanley has an uncredited role in DAGON! that's cool.

After watching the "Dr Moreau" doc, did Gordon give Stanley the role, or did Stanley disguise himself and sneak into the film? :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm working my way through the They Shoot Zombies list, checking off things I haven't seen, and weirdly I haven't seen Nosferatu? My ADD got real bad got part of it, but the final 20 minutes holds up to anything I've seen in a modern movie.

If I saw that in the theater in 1922 I probably would have poo poo my pants

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

I'm working my way through the They Shoot Zombies list, checking off things I haven't seen, and weirdly I haven't seen Nosferatu? My ADD got real bad got part of it, but the final 20 minutes holds up to anything I've seen in a modern movie.

When I first moved to Seattle I was day-laboring, and we had to show up at 5:30am to be first in line to go out at 8am. There was an old TV/DVD player on a rolling cabinet like hungover teachers would bring in to show movies, and one day I brought in Nosferatu. I figured since it was a silent film, the majority-ESL guys I was with would like it. The first twenty minutes they were pointing and laughing at the bad over-acting and goofy makeup. Then Count Orlok shows up and they all get real quiet. Goddamn that movie makes an impression.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Nosferatu with the live score performed by Invincible Czars is one of the best theater experiences I've ever had

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
NIN put out two new Ghosts albums today that are all spooky and ambient so I played that when watching Nosferatu and it ruled.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

More threatening but much much less creepy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

absutely trashed bout to watch castle freak with my old man whose never seen it before RIP stuart gordon without you i would never have had this amazing experience bless

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The best line in Nosferatu is when Ellen is offered cut flowers, she replies "why did you kill them?" There's something so beautifully haunting and impactful about it, whilst also being incredibly simple and efficient. With that one line you know everything there is to know about who that character is

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh hell yeah I'm watching Criminal Minds and Tony Todd is a guest bit actor.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Phantasm has a lot more obvious ADR than I was expecting.

Though they have the good sense to do it when characters are off screen and there's no need to worry about sync.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

COOL CORN posted:

It's wonderful. The first time I saw it was without a soundtrack and it was powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Origami Dali posted:

Nosferatu with the live score performed by Invincible Czars is one of the best theater experiences I've ever had
Same, except the band was a drone group called Sports. That would be a must-revisit night if I had a time machine.