Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pick the winner
This poll is closed.
Maxime Vachier-Lagrave 2 13.33%
Ding Liren 8 53.33%
Anish Giri 0 0%
Sasha Grischuk 1 6.67%
Kirill Alekseenko 0 0%
Ian Nepomniatchni 2 13.33%
Wang Hao 0 0%
Fabiano Caruana 2 13.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

And with that, Vachier-Lagrave is the tournament leader.
Almost said tied with Nepo still, but since head-to-head is the first tiebreak, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Um I think they just suspended Candidates.

e:

https://www.fide.com/news/462

quote:

Today, the government of the Russian Federation announced that starting March 27, 2020, Russia interrupts air traffic with other countries without indicating any time frames.

FIDE can not continue the tournament without guarantees for the players' and officials' safe and timely return home. In this situation and on the basis of clause 1.5. Rules of Candidates Tournament, the FIDE President decided to stop the tournament. It will be continued later, with the exact dates to be announced as soon, as the global situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic will allow. As it was stipulated by the special rules agreed with the players before the start of the event, the results of the 7 rounds played remain valid, and the tournament will be resumed in the same composition starting with the games of the 8th round. FIDE is grateful to the players, officials, volunteers and the entire team of organizers, including the Chess Federation of Russia and the main partner of the tournament - SIMA-Land.

Sincerely,
Arkady Dvorkovich,
FIDE President

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

welp

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

dammit this was helping me get through the mornings. :smith:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Poor Radjabov.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Radjabov's being interviewed on the chess.com Twitch channel now if anyone's interested.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Radjabov got hosed.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Sub Par posted:

Radjabov got hosed.

He did. Unfortunately there's not a good way to fix it this cycle. I'd be sympathetic to giving him an automatic makeup Candidates berth in 2022, but do you take away the WC slot and FIDE just has to swallow the loss of money from being less attractive to organizers, take away one of FIDE's own precious tournament slot ways to qualify, or make it a 9 man tournament in 2022? I would think FIDE would do the clumsiest possible thing and that'd be 9 man Candidates.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

He did. Unfortunately there's not a good way to fix it this cycle. I'd be sympathetic to giving him an automatic makeup Candidates berth in 2022, but do you take away the WC slot and FIDE just has to swallow the loss of money from being less attractive to organizers, take away one of FIDE's own precious tournament slot ways to qualify, or make it a 9 man tournament in 2022? I would think FIDE would do the clumsiest possible thing and that'd be 9 man Candidates.

They could either openly or secretly guarantee him the wildcard slot if he doesn't qualify through the regular tournament season.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Mukaikubo posted:

Agreed. The second they started the tournament, it would be more unfair to the other players than Radjabov to cancel it or restart it or whatever. I don't know what would be "fair" for 2022 really. As you say, a 9 person candidates feels like the weirdest outcome so that is probably what they will do.

FIDE really screwed this up, it's embarrasing. Radjabov at least seems pretty calm and realistic in this interview. I just feel bad for him. I also feel bad for Nepo and MVL who seemed to be playing well and now abruptly have to stop.

Edit: Wow, did Magnus really suggest that Radjabov was dropping because he was afraid/didn't really want to play? That's pretty douchey.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 26, 2020

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Sub Par posted:

Edit: Wow, did Magnus really suggest that Radjabov was dropping because he was afraid/didn't really want to play? That's pretty douchey.

Radjabov himself, after qualifying, said he doesn't know yet whether he'll want to play at the candidates or not, so that's not a completely unfair suggestion.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

jvilmi posted:

Radjabov himself, after qualifying, said he doesn't know yet whether he'll want to play at the candidates or not, so that's not a completely unfair suggestion.

I hadn't seen that. I saw an interview he gave right after winning the World Cup where he specifically mentioned he planned to start preparing for the Candidates.

Edit: Ok I found the interview you're talking about. I still think the speculation on Magnus' part is poor form.

Sub Par fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 26, 2020

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

jvilmi posted:

I mean, I can see how people would think that, but he went as far as revealing the team of seconds he assembled for Candidates (incl. Karjakin and Dominguez) so it's clear he was taking it seriously after that one interview done flush in the emotions after a big tournament. I'm still on board with "2020 sucks but can't be fixed, so here, have a golden ticket into 2022"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sub Par posted:

Radjabov got hosed.

Hoist by his own racism.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 27, 2020

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So what's left now? Australian rugby league? Bloody virus...

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Hand Knit posted:

Hoist by his own racism.

I wasn't following Radjabov's withdrawal that closely. Did he drop out specifically because Ding and Wang are from China? If it was just out of a general concern over the coronavirus, I would say that he was entirely vindicated in that decision. As much as I enjoyed following the first seven rounds, the event should never have been held on schedule.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carbolic posted:

I wasn't following Radjabov's withdrawal that closely. Did he drop out specifically because Ding and Wang are from China? If it was just out of a general concern over the coronavirus, I would say that he was entirely vindicated in that decision. As much as I enjoyed following the first seven rounds, the event should never have been held on schedule.

He dropped out because Wang wasn't quarantined. Ding was quarantined because actually came from China. Wang came from Japan, but apparently being ethnically Chinese was enough to spook Radjabov into withdrawing.

This was particularly funny when Caruana arrived from I think New York on the 12th, but of course was not quarantined.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Flayer posted:

So what's left now? Australian rugby league? Bloody virus...

NRL postponed their season earlier this week.

Supposely there is hockey from Belarus but otherwise the world has stopped every sport (Pro Wrestling while entertaining is not a sport).

jvilmi
May 29, 2004
Singling out Wang like that is part of the reason I'm not enamoured with this "Radjabov was the real hero all along!!" -narrative going on now. Both Chinese players got treated like crap for being Chinese (Ding with the two week isolation and quarantine, Wang with having to play without his team) and both of them went on with it despite of that, but hey, we've got a hero here, the guy who didn't know whether he wanted to participate to begin with who also now withdrew because this one particular Chinese person is there or something.

Everyone is Captain Hindsight now, me included, but I don't see how Radjabov is particularly deserving of anyhing here.

edit: Anish Giri has solved the problem

https://twitter.com/anishgiri/status/1243803228363423744

jvilmi fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 28, 2020

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Candidates has been announced to resume November 1st in Yekaterinburg, with Tblisi as the backup venue. I'll believe it when I see it.

Still shocked that Ding is at -2.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Carbolic posted:

Candidates has been announced to resume November 1st in Yekaterinburg, with Tblisi as the backup venue. I'll believe it when I see it.

Still shocked that Ding is at -2.

Make that spring 2021.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Unfortunate that that has to be the case with a successful tournament in Norway, but if that's what it is then that's what it is.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is finally back Monday.

All times 7am EST

Rounds 8-10 April 19-21
Rounds 11-12 April 23-24
Rounds 13-14 April 26-27
Tie breaks April 28

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sweet jesus, what a wait

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Looks like we have at least one interesting game, a poisoned pawn Najdorf between Caruana and Vachier-Lagrave. Caruana has an exchange for two pawns, Vachier's position looks rough, and there's an hour difference on the clock.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

there's an hour difference on the clock.

I tuned in a little while ago and thought it was bold of FIDE to allow berserk mode in a classical OTB tournament.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Looks like Caruana has managed to win the Rook+P vs Knight+P endgame vs Maxim. A couple of inaccuracies but even Magnus was struggling with it while looking at tablebases.

Still needs to be converted.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Flayer posted:

Looks like Caruana has managed to win the Rook+P vs Knight+P endgame vs Maxim. A couple of inaccuracies but even Magnus was struggling with it while looking at tablebases.

Still needs to be converted.

It looks like Vachier just didn't know the fortress idea with the knight on g7, because he managed to set it up but never actually played Ng7.

Meanwhile, it looks like Alekseenko has managed to generate something against Grischuk. It looks like Grischuk maybe thought he was safer than he actually was and hosed around a little too hard trying to see if Alekseenko would make a mistake.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Caruana playing a move that leads Carlsen to say "this goes against the way I understand chess.

All four games look pretty dynamic to start. Ding has sacrificed a piece out of the opening against Vachier-Lagrave.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ding has a tremendous advantage, so it looks like it might take two rounds from Vachier Lagrave to go from co-lead back to equal. Also Grischuk has made an... ambitious exchange sacrifice against Nepomniachtchi which makes me think that last round's game is weighing on his mind.

Very good games today.

e: As I say that, Ding chooses the completely wrong plan and has punted most of his advantage.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This is looking like it could be the day where candidates more or less wraps up. There are still three rounds left, but Nepomniatchi is cruising to an easy draw against Caruana, and the other two people chasing him (already a full point back), Giri and Vachier-Lagrave, are both in trouble in their games.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

This is looking like it could be the day where candidates more or less wraps up. There are still three rounds left, but Nepomniatchi is cruising to an easy draw against Caruana, and the other two people chasing him (already a full point back), Giri and Vachier-Lagrave, are both in trouble in their games.

This is great news because Nepo-Carlsen is by far the matchup I would be most excited for.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

This is great news because Nepo-Carlsen is by far the matchup I would be most excited for.

Looks like Ding self-destructed against Giri so we've got a tournament yet.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’m rooting for Fabi but he has his work cut out for him now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Looks like Ding self-destructed against Giri so we've got a tournament yet.

Boy were we all wrong in our "pick the winner" poll itt

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Giri in very good shape with the black pieces against Caruana. This would be a very big win for him, obviously, especially as Nepomniachtchi has a firm advantage over Wang Hao.

Also the opening in Wang-Nepomniachtchi looked incredibly familiar around move 34. This was played recently, right? Does anyone remember the game?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Sad for Fabi, but at least Giri is making it an exciting finish!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why did Wang resign against Nepo? Looks fairly drawish at the end of the game albeit with White forced to defend.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Looks like Giri is getting murdered by Grischuk, so Nepomniachtchi will clinch with a draw. And Nepomniachtchi's position looks just about unlosable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Carlsen vs Nepo it is. Giri just straight blundered with f5 getting frustrated in a closed position. I'm surprised to see a defeat from that type of scenario in a top level tournament like this, especially considering Giri had to avoid defeat to have any chance of winning the tournament. Of course considering Nepo's superior head-to-head winning a tie-break he was almost virtually assured to win the tournament going into the penultimate round anyway regardless of anything Giri did.