Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I won't be watching the Benoit one for emotional reasons (grief issues of my own), but is the Moolah episode worth watching? I watched the Gino episode and agree it flowed strangely. I also felt the end was kinda weird, his mom just kinda accepted the explanations she got then decided to have a margarita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I think Jericho nailed it when he talked about the name "Benoit" being poisonous. WWE leadership was definitely operating under the idea that if they ignore it, it'll eventually go away. And I may be completely off base here, but with the poo poo we know about the WWE now, I'll bet you any money that Vince was more pissed off that he had to end his fake death storyline than anything else.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

In addition to both parts of the Benoit ep being available on their Youtube for free, season 1 is entirely available for free on the Vice site https://www.vicetv.com/en_us/show/dark-side-of-the-ring

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The other funny moment was Vince's little speech. "Truly Benoit was one of the greatest...*brain goes through a three second reboot to avoid saying 'Wrestlers'*...sports entertainers of all time"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

animeluva1 posted:

David understandably sobs towards the end and I start tearing up. Then Nancy and Chavo walk about to give him much needed hugs and support and I went full on ugly cry. I went to my daughter and gave her a big hug.

My Internet powers are failing me. Does anyone have a decent vid of the Super J cup match Jericho mentioned in the bonus footage from DSotR After Dark? It took place December 1995, a quarterfinal match between Lionheart and Wild Pegasus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3HeU0iT6lo

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I won't be watching the Benoit one for emotional reasons (grief issues of my own), but is the Moolah episode worth watching? I watched the Gino episode and agree it flowed strangely. I also felt the end was kinda weird, his mom just kinda accepted the explanations she got then decided to have a margarita?
The Moolah episode has similar "this is good but I feel like someone accidentally cut out something important near the end" vibes to the Gino episode. Like it makes a pretty clear case, mainly from Princess Victoria's stories, that Moolah absolutely tried to pressure her wrestlers into doing inappropriate poo poo with strange dudes for money, but then there's this total 180 at the end that's oddly pro-Moolah with Victoria snapping that "if you think Moolah's a pimp, then you're calling us all hookers!"

Honestly, once this season is put to bed, I'd love for Jason to go in and do director's cuts of season 1, because it seems like he has a MUCH better handle on what the show should be now.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

christ the part at 9 minutes where jericho tries to jump up and moonsault off the top turnbuckle, slips and lands on the 2nd turnbuckle and does it anyway and almost lands on his neck

is there a word for loving up, but in a manner that's more impressive than if you didn't

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

is there a word for loving up, but in a manner that's more impressive than if you didn't
This was Sabu's entire wrestling career

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
part 2 was uploaded to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtP3vMElcQ

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

It just occurred to me that the whole "why are Benoit and friends acting like Sullivan is gonna screw with them as booker when it seems like he genuinely has zero plans to do so?" thing makes a whole lot more sense now. When you know not just that Kevin was physically abusive—which there were whispers of, albeit nothing clearly sourced—but also that Benoit and friends and their wives went through the whole ordeal of helping Nancy leave Kevin? You get why "Kevin's gonna make Chris world champion!" meant absolutely nothing to them.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

This was Sabu's entire wrestling career

sabu rules

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

The match had me from the rad synth intro. Thanks!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

davidbix posted:

It just occurred to me that the whole "why are Benoit and friends acting like Sullivan is gonna screw with them as booker when it seems like he genuinely has zero plans to do so?" thing makes a whole lot more sense now. When you know not just that Kevin was physically abusive—which there were whispers of, albeit nothing clearly sourced—but also that Benoit and friends and their wives went through the whole ordeal of helping Nancy leave Kevin? You get why "Kevin's gonna make Chris world champion!" meant absolutely nothing to them.

poo poo that's a good point.

It was definitely interesting to hear them be like "he didn't actually give a poo poo about Satanic stuff" when I coulda swore I'd heard he was shoot into it, but I think I also heard he lived in a nudist community(this is probably true).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

davidbix posted:

The Moolah episode has similar "this is good but I feel like someone accidentally cut out something important near the end" vibes to the Gino episode. Like it makes a pretty clear case, mainly from Princess Victoria's stories, that Moolah absolutely tried to pressure her wrestlers into doing inappropriate poo poo with strange dudes for money, but then there's this total 180 at the end that's oddly pro-Moolah with Victoria snapping that "if you think Moolah's a pimp, then you're calling us all hookers!"
Could it be folks afraid of getting black balled from Vince/WWE?

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

That picture early on of Daniel grabbing the back of David's shirt ruined me. I wasn't all that familiar with Nancy heading into this doc and I really appreciate them covering her. Also didn't realize just how bad of a spot Eddie was in before he cleaned up.

Overall thought that documentary was really good. Guts me that nobody was able to get to Benoit after Eddie's death and I guess even if they did, he probably would've just brushed it off anyways. Really glad to see Chavo and Jericho involved with David and helping reconnect him with Sandra.

There was also a strange relief in seeing New Jack was the next episode, as insane as he is.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I stopped watching for a while after that. Not to be all "And I don't know how to accept that" about it, it just took any joy out of wrestling for a while. Eddy passing was brutal too (he's my favorite wrestler, and I'm not trying to be funny).

I stopped watching for a decade. Eddy and Benoit dying like that told me exactly how little Vince cared about the welfare of his wrestlers, and I could not bring myself to watch WWE. I don't judge people who felt differently, my reaction isn't entirely rational, but it's where I was.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Vince's first reaction to seeing Eddie irl was to say "he's so tiny!" and then you look at how blown up Eddie was during his time in WWE. Makes you think!!!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/DarkSideOfRing/status/1242908712714502155

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Thanlis posted:

I stopped watching for a decade. Eddy and Benoit dying like that told me exactly how little Vince cared about the welfare of his wrestlers, and I could not bring myself to watch WWE. I don't judge people who felt differently, my reaction isn't entirely rational, but it's where I was.
You were way ahead of the curve, honestly

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Been watching this series.

I finished episode 3 about Bruiser Brody.

Everyone keeps saying that Tony Atlas is completely full of poo poo. People never elaborate why though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So is there any way to watch this stuff from the EU?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

extradite THIS! posted:

So is there any way to watch this stuff from the EU?
US VPN on the Vice TV site works fine for me. The Benoit episodes are on their Youtube channel as well, but that also requires a VPN if you're outside the US.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

punk rebel ecks posted:

Been watching this series.

I finished episode 3 about Bruiser Brody.

Everyone keeps saying that Tony Atlas is completely full of poo poo. People never elaborate why though.

Because it's the other people (Dutch, Abdullah) who are full of poo poo

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I did see one Twitter comment questioning why the Benoit doc was so "one sided" and why didn't they cover any of the other "theories" to what had happened.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Mob posted:

Because it's the other people (Dutch, Abdullah) who are full of poo poo

Why are they full of poo poo?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WatermelonGun posted:

which wrestler immediately thought benoit killed his family? i remember hearing someone correctly assumed the truth and gave a real distant interview for the tribute show

Not who you're talking about, but I recall an interview with Chris Masters who described how it was when the locker room were told about the deaths. There was a quiet unease to it all because a lot of people correctly guessed the truth, but nobody wanted to be that guy. There was no tactful way to be the first person to speak up and say, "Anyone else figure Chris killed them?"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Now I'm just remembering the bizarre story of Miz getting kicked out of the locker room by Benoit for smearing chicken crumbs on someone's bag. Which is what it is, but then Benoit died and locker room rules dictated Benoit had to be the one to let him back in too. So Miz just spent months changing out in the hall until Undertaker finally noticed and went "Uh, get back in here dummy, I wave my magic Locker Room Leader wand"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Now I'm just remembering the bizarre story of Miz getting kicked out of the locker room by Benoit for smearing chicken crumbs on someone's bag. Which is what it is, but then Benoit died and locker room rules dictated Benoit had to be the one to let him back in too. So Miz just spent months changing out in the hall until Undertaker finally noticed and went "Uh, get back in here dummy, I wave my magic Locker Room Leader wand"

This doesn't really have anything to do with anything, but whenever I hear poo poo like this it always strikes me just how loving unprofessional this great sport of professional wrestling actually is.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why are they full of poo poo?

They wanted to stay in good graces with Carlos Colon and continued to work with him and the WWC for years afterwards. I believe Abdullah was a minority co owner in the promotion. Dutch may have been too. Dutch also booked for Colon though I'm not sure if it was before or after the incident. Likely after.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

They wanted to stay in good graces with Carlos Colon and continued to work with him and the WWC for years afterwards. I believe Abdullah was a minority co owner in the promotion. Dutch may have been too. Dutch also booked for Colon though I'm not sure if it was before or after the incident. Likely after.

I see.

There are just some parts in Atlas's story that seem off. Specifically how the doctor said "a stabbing in Puerto Rico is like a cold in America". I mean the island isn't safe but it isn't THAT dangerous.

And him picking up a doctor and plotting him in a room without security or the police called seems far-fetched to me.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Davros1 posted:

I did see one Twitter comment questioning why the Benoit doc was so "one sided" and why didn't they cover any of the other "theories" to what had happened.

Ah yes, can't believe they didn't go into the internet nutter's favourite, Kevin Sullivan is a real satanist & he possessed Benoit to make him murder his family. loving eejits.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Jesus, that was a hard watch. I teared up when Daniel was talking about the cop breaking the news to him.

Looking at him unfortunately also made me think that hopefully he never becomes a wrestler..i

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheCool69 posted:

Looking at him unfortunately also made me think that hopefully he never becomes a wrestler..i

Last I heard, not only is David training to be a wrestler, he wants to go by "Chris Benoit Jr."

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
David is apparently a notorious flake about quitting and not actually wanting to do the training and just wants to do the wrestling

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

KungFu Grip posted:

David is apparently a notorious flake about quitting and not actually wanting to do the training and just wants to do the wrestling

Didn't he lie about being trained to get booked on an indie show a few years back

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

KungFu Grip posted:

Ah, very much my kind of dedication.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

New Jack was a crazy mother fucker. gently caress, there's still that one clip I have where he's just swinging a bat and hitting some old guys head, like an audience member or something.

then the whole mass transit and stabbing and etc etc etc thing. How did he keep getting employed, and not jailed gently caress

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

He's absolutely not COMPLETELY full of poo poo. It does seem like he punched up a few things that don't really matter, but the important parts of his story have always been consistent. It's clear that being able to give his side on Real TV meant a lot to him. He HAS told some weird tales about other stuff—like saying that his ex-wife was in the room with Jimmy Snuka and Nancy Argentino when he inflicted the injuries that killed her—but at least broadly, he's credible WRT Brody.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Hirez posted:

New Jack was a crazy mother fucker. gently caress, there's still that one clip I have where he's just swinging a bat and hitting some old guys head, like an audience member or something.

then the whole mass transit and stabbing and etc etc etc thing. How did he keep getting employed, and not jailed gently caress

New jack scares the hell out of me and I have refused to go to shows because he was booked at them.

He is so out of his mind and dangerous that if he stabbed or did something to an audience member I feel like no one around would do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
:nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fJ923CZwU4&t=294s

Everyones just standing around like did we just witness a murder?