Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Well, at least we got one more week out of it.

Can someone give me a list of the best games from the last 10 years to download and watch?

Or I guess I could, like, read a book or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Apollodorus posted:

Can someone give me a list of the best games from the last 10 years to download and watch?

Tigers 2005 season was mint. Cronulla vs Tigers from that year has a great Benji try.

Cows vs Broncos gf is pretty drat good.

The documentary series That's Rugby League is up on youtube. First part https://youtu.be/BOnNye5moDA the intro is a bit meh but it's a solid history of the game down here.

Any recent NSW series wins are gold but I'm biased as gently caress.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Apollodorus posted:

Knights vs Storm, Round 22, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I guess I should finally watch This Sporting Life too now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Apollodorus posted:

I guess I should finally watch This Sporting Life too now.

Dude, you'll want to be in a mood for that one, because holy poo poo, what a grim film.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vagabundo posted:

Dude, you'll want to be in a mood for that one, because holy poo poo, what a grim film.

dammit I just wanted to watch Dumbledore play rugby league is that too much to ask?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/nrlknights/status/1243315707191808001?s=21

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Good signing, whether he's on an edge or in the middle Frizzell is an elite player. I'm hoping Herman Ese'ese moves somewhere he can get the minutes he deserves (Warriors please).

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

its like a tick jumping from one dying beast to another dying beast.

BobTheDestroyer
Dec 21, 2011
At least one COVID positive person was at the cowboys vs Broncos game and yesterday (day 13 afterwards) cases in Townsville jumped from 6 to 11. Coincidence? Probably not

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Abalone Malone posted:

its like a tick jumping from one dying beast to another dying beast.

2.1 million in monopoly money.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
So looking ahead to 2021....

WARRIORS

2020 squad: Bunty Afoa (2021), Leeson Ah Mau (2021), Gerard Beale (2020), Adam Blair (2020, PO 21), Lachlan Burr (2020), Josh Curran (2021), Wayde Egan (2022), Jackson Frei (2020), David Fusitu’a (2023), Blake Green (2020), Tohu Harris (2021), Chanel Harris-Tavita (2022), Peta Hiku (2020), Patrick Herbert (2020), Eliesa Katoa (2021), Adam Keighran (2020), Karl Lawton (2021), Ken Maumalo (2022), Taane Milne (2020), Kodi Nikorima (2021, PO 22), Agnatius Paasi (2022), Isaiah Papali’i (2020), Hayze Perham (2021), Adam Pompey (2021), Leivaha Pulu (2020), Nathaniel Roache (2020), Jamayne Taunoa-Brown (2021), Jazz Tevaga (2021), Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (2022)

Gains: Wayde Egan (Panthers), Adam Pompey, Eliesa Katoa (upgraded from development deals), Jamayne Taunoa-Brown

Losses: Ligi Sao (Hull FC), Tevita Satae (Hull FC), Blayke Ayshford (retired), Issac Luke (Dragons), Sam Lisone (Titans)

2021 gains: Ben Murdoch-Masila (from Warrington until 2023)

Coach: Stephen Kearney (2022)

Still looks grim, we can cut the deadweight of Blake Kakariki but somehow need to convince Blair not to take his player option :negative:

Also Kearney is here to stay, don't think many clubs will be able to pay out sacked coaches willy-nilly when we return. Murdoch-Masila did gently caress all in the NRL but he is very impressive in the Super League games I've seen him in and played well for Tonga too so we'll see how that goes. Happy letting all those expiring contracts go except maybe Herbert & Roache (even though he's just another broken dream at this point), at least they'd be cheap.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
put that Knights jersey on and head on over

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bowmore posted:

put that Knights jersey on and head on over

Nobody deserves that

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

so, next years 12 team Covid League comp

4 sydney teams
- North
- West
- South
- East

Newcastle

Wollongong

Melbourne

2 Brisbane teams
- Brisbane
- Not Brisbane

FNQ

ACT

NZ

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Wow who knew that all it would take to bring the Bears into the Premiership would be a global pandemic?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Abalone Malone posted:

so, next years 12 team Covid League comp

4 sydney teams
- North
- West
- South
- East

Newcastle

Wollongong

Melbourne

2 Brisbane teams
- Brisbane
- Not Brisbane

FNQ

ACT

NZ

Well if your going to merge Sydney teams and risk having huge swaths of pissed off fans (See the wasteland that is North Sydney when they left)

Well the West team has to be based at Bankwest. Sorry Penny. Sorry Campbelltown. LOL Belmore. Sorry the rest of the comp as the largest catchment with the best juniors in the land and some of the richest league clubs dominate the gently caress out the comp. So that's good.
East is obviously Easts and Souths. This may work....if you can wade through the protest march.
Souths is Saints and Cronulla. How Good Is That!?

Norths is.........Bears Country. gently caress Manly your poo poo fans don't ever travel and your ground is Poo.
Central Goat stadium. The Goat Bears. gently caress yeah.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

Adam Blair (2020, PO 21)

Wait, what the gently caress? I thought he was on a straight three year deal. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

quote:

Still looks grim, we can cut the deadweight of Blake Kakariki

Who is that? I've never heard of him.

quote:

Also Kearney is here to stay

That's the worst part of all of this. When the world returns to normality, we get to watch a team fight to win the completion rate battle every week whilst doing everything in its power to avoid actually scoring points.

quote:

Roache

He's basically a new and improved Ben Henry- this one gets injured even more often so we literally have no idea if he has any actual talent.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? I thought he was on a straight three year deal. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Who is that? I've never heard of him.

That's the worst part of all of this. When the world returns to normality, we get to watch a team fight to win the completion rate battle every week whilst doing everything in its power to avoid actually scoring points.

He's basically a new and improved Ben Henry- this one gets injured even more often so we literally have no idea if he has any actual talent.

Yeah I got that impression about you thinking Blair was done and didn't have the heart/was happier playing along that he was gone end of this year.

Kakariki = Green.

Kearney loving sucks and we're stuck with him so we will continue to suck and everyone good will leave us.

Roache is legit but it's pretty clear his body cannot handle NRL.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So apparently about 1/3 of the players' retirement fund is missing because the NRL was using that money for operational costs for the last 2 or 3 seasons or so. I'm sure the players are thrilled to hear this right now.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

So apparently about 1/3 of the players' retirement fund is missing because the NRL was using that money for operational costs for the last 2 or 3 seasons or so. I'm sure the players are thrilled to hear this right now.

Isn't that in control of the RLPA?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

MiniSune posted:

Well if your going to merge Sydney teams and risk having huge swaths of pissed off fans (See the wasteland that is North Sydney when they left)

Well the West team has to be based at Bankwest. Sorry Penny. Sorry Campbelltown. LOL Belmore. Sorry the rest of the comp as the largest catchment with the best juniors in the land and some of the richest league clubs dominate the gently caress out the comp. So that's good.
East is obviously Easts and Souths. This may work....if you can wade through the protest march.
Souths is Saints and Cronulla. How Good Is That!?

Norths is.........Bears Country. gently caress Manly your poo poo fans don't ever travel and your ground is Poo.
Central Goat stadium. The Goat Bears. gently caress yeah.

at the current rate, a 10 team comp is optimistic
the NRL hasn't mangaged it's funds and doesn't have much in the bank
chnl 9 are trying to tear up their deal, there might not be a comp anymore

rugbyunion was already one foot in the grave, they'll the canary in this situation.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Isn't that in control of the RLPA?

They were supposed to be putting money into the account, but weren't, from the looks of it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...6bdb77b1c86bdd1

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Abalone Malone posted:

rugbyunion was already one foot in the grave, they'll the canary in this situation.

Agreed. For all of leagues woes it aint got nothing on Union.

Although Perth Glory (Them of the "lets sell to cryptominers" fame) have basically stood down all their players and refuse to pay them thus all contracts are essential null and void. I suspect their accounts are in shitsville, and it would not surprise me if it is the first professional club of any code to go under.

The NRL will survive, even if it is a token bunch of blokes. Even if it collapses, the clubs can then form their own league.

It's the club, or more importantly the Leagues clubs and rich benefactors that have to survive. Football clubs can be liquidated and replaced in a day. Pokie palaces and rich benefactors less so.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 29, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Abalone Malone posted:

It'll be interesting to see what Super Rugby will look like after this. I'm guessing some sort of NZ/Aus/Japan situation, and with the provincial unions in NZ expected to merge, the NRC sides being invited into the NZ provincial comp to make up numbers.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah I got that impression about you thinking Blair was done and didn't have the heart/was happier playing along that he was gone end of this year.

Because I'm so loving upset about this, I've dug up the club's press release:

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2017/10/04/signing-blair-confirmed-for-three-years/

quote:

The Vodafone Warriors have today officially confirmed Kiwi captain Adam Blair’s signing on a three-year contract from next season.

I definitely remember that there was a lot of discussion at the time about Blair wanting four years, so the club giving him three years didn't seem so bad. How wrong I was in hindsight. I guess the story doesn't preclude the existence of a player option, or knowing Kearney he might have just given him another year because he is that loving stupid.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I support the league moving literally everyone to Tangalooma for a couple of months and just smashing out all of the matches behind closed doors (but with cameras).

This is definitely not because I'm starting to go insane with no sports to watch.

Definitely not.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

I support the league moving literally everyone to Tangalooma for a couple of months and just smashing out all of the matches behind closed doors (but with cameras).

This is definitely not because I'm starting to go insane with no sports to watch.

Definitely not.

I'm in full agreement. But the border closure may have shitcanned that idea. I suspect though hope is coming as I suspect the four conference thing based in NSW seems to be gaining legs.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Have they figured out if the Warriors can get into Australia?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Jono C posted:

I think there will be a four week "pre-season" or in BJ Leilua's case is "Put the loving pies down" so they should make it fine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

As long as they quarantine they should be fine

(Idk I have no clue what the current rules are)

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

(Idk I have no clue what the current rules are)

Since the world went to poo poo a couple of weeks ago I've lost track of how everything works. I know that New Zealand has locked down its borders pretty strictly- only citizens/residents and their families are allowed in now. I thought Australia may have done something similar.

E: Thanks for the new avatar, mysterious benefactor.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Since the world went to poo poo a couple of weeks ago I've lost track of how everything works. I know that New Zealand has locked down its borders pretty strictly- only citizens/residents and their families are allowed in now. I thought Australia may have done something similar.

E: Thanks for the new avatar, mysterious benefactor.

Yeah here in Queensland we have "closed" the border, with only residents and people in social categories allowed in (with 14 day isolation)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
only two weeks ago since last nrl round, feels like forever

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
In Vlandys we trust

smh posted:

Commission to sign off on NRL return with May 21 start earmarked

The ARL Commission is on Thursday expected to sign off on the return of the NRL competition from as early as May 21.

The Sydney Morning Herald has been told by sources with knowledge of the negotiations that a Sydney-based, 15-round season is the preferred option of the two proposals that will be discussed at the NRL innovation committee meeting on Thursday morning.

Following the meeting, a recommendation will be put to the commission and a decision on the structure and future of the game is likely to be announced.

The Rugby League Players Association has organised a meeting with its players following the commission decision for final approval.

The alternative proposal is a two-conference system, splitting the competition in half, although it seems likely that system will begin with both conferences playing out of Sydney.

After high-level discussions between the NSW government and NRL powerbrokers, Sydney-based players will be allowed to remain at home when the competition resumes, which was well received by the RLPA, whose members were reluctant to undergo solitary confinement.

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro claimed rugby league can “start the process of recovery” for the nation. “The NRL is the tonic we need to get through this virus,” he told Channel Nine’s Chris O’Keefe . “It’s easy to say why we can’t do things. We’ll take advice from the health experts, but the reality is that we’ve seen in racing, and in other sectors like construction, that cases have come down /

“For me, the NRL is an opportunity as a state and nation to start the process of recovery. I can assure you that we want to work with the NRL. Government has a role here. I’ve had a conversation with the Premier that if the NRL can put forward it’s measures, it’s protocols, we will work with them to get through this season.”
Broncos and Cowboys players could be asked to base themselves in Sydney under the proposal expected to be approved on Thursday.

Border restrictions will see the North Queensland Cowboys, Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast Titans, Melbourne Storm and New Zealand Warriors move to Sydney for at least two weeks, potentially at Olympic Park.

It is hoped they may be able to return home and resume travelling interstate on chartered flights on game day in mid to late June.

The Knights and Raiders are expected to stay in Newcastle and Canberra respectively and travel to Sydney on game day.

The Warriors, who will be given exemptions to travel restrictions by the New Zealand and Australian governments, will likely have to isolate together for 14 days, but they will be able to train.

The NRL is optimistic of the competition returning on May 21, although May 28 seems the more likely of the two dates.

Delicate negotiations between the governing body and its broadcast partners were held this week and will continue, with State of Origin now firming to be played in the traditional mid-season format.

If the NRL succeeds in its plans for a May return, the grand final will be played in its traditional time slot, the first Sunday in October.

Twenty-four hours ago, the NRL was preparing to isolate teams in a western Sydney bubble.

The coaches' representative on the NRL innovation committee, Sydney Roosters mentor Trent Robinson, had a phone hook-up with some of his counterparts on Wednesday and informed them of the strict measures that were likely to be put in place in a bubble precinct. But those plans have been significantly affected by the state government’s most recent assessment of the crisis.

The government has expressed its confidence in the NRL to respond to any changes in the health situation.

A secondary outbreak could see the NRL return to the bubble model later in the year, although the advice it has received predicts the daily increase in COVID-19 cases will be less than 1 per cent by the time of the NRL's planned return in mid-May.

The NRL is hopeful that by mid-June all states will relax their restrictions and it will be able to return to playing games at venues around the country, albeit without crowds in attendance.

Teams could be free to return to training as early as the end of this month.

PROPOSAL ONE: 15 ROUND SEASON PLAYING EACH OTHER ONCE

Competition start: May 21 or May 28
Games played: 2 (competition points will stand)
Games remaining: 13
Location: All teams based in NSW until border restrictions are lifted.
Restrictions: NSW and ACT-based players to remain living at home. Remaining five teams to reside in NSW hotel until border restrictions are loosened.
State of Origin: Most likely to be played in middle of season.
Finals structure: Traditional top-eight format with potential for wildcard weekend before finals.
Grand final: Early October.

PROPOSAL TWO: TWO-CONFERENCE SYSTEM

Competition start: May 21 or May 28
Conference one: Bulldogs, Eels, Tigers, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Roosters.
Conference two: Broncos, Dragons, Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Knights, Warriors, Raiders
Games played: 2 (competition points will stand)
Games remaining: 14. Each team in conference plays each other twice.
Location: All teams based in NSW until border restrictions are lifted. Teams will then travel interstate on game day if required.
Restrictions: NSW and ACT-based players to remain living at home. Remaining five teams to reside in NSW hotel until border restrictions are loosened.
State of Origin: Most likely to be played in middle of season.
Finals structure: Top four in each conference to enter finals series. Conference champions to square off for premiership.
Grand final: Early October.

gently caress yes.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Please make this happen somehow I and everyone else can stay isolated for months just give me NRL

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

Please make this happen somehow I and everyone else can stay isolated for months just give me NRL

Amen

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I need something to watch on TV ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

last out, first in, I guess, not counting like the Belarusian soccer league. is it just that this league is desperate for money or what? are other things talking about opening back up in late May too in Australia?

I'll watch it too