Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Serephina posted:

Infinite was universally reviled

I'm obviously not saying it's good but uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Blink. I have no idea, I have never met a person online or IRL who liked it.

For giggles, Duke Nukem Forever has 68% positive reviews also.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I just wanted to thank whoever it was that recommended Dead Space 2. It's exactly more dead space, and prettier too. Thanks!

As I've never had a great gaming rig and have to catch up on games like ten years after they've come out, it felt DOPE AS HELL going to the graphics menu in Dead Space 2 and selecting "very high" and it runs beautifully. So thanks, person!

I can't remember if it was this thread or early FPS thread but I feel like it belongs here more.

Also the further away from Bioshock 1 I get, the more I resent it. BOOOO

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Favorite thing about Dead Space was that you could sell your only weapon right away.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Favorite thing about Dead Space was that you could sell your only weapon right away.

"hmm, I think I got this from here, plus I need a few credits. Thanks."

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do I need to give DeadSpace another go? I tried it out and it felt very bland and railroaded and console-y. I only got up to the part where they give you time slow before uninstalling, I didn't really see what the big fuss is about.

Edit:
Dead tittyfucking christ hell no, what are these horrible controls and movement. That took all of thirty seconds, gently caress that.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 26, 2020

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

pentyne posted:

A circus game of knock the cans down except the cans are black people= "Unintentional unfortunate writing"

Game design idea "Lets present horrifically racist set pieces and let the player decide if they want to engage in the racism or not" so sad how could anyone ever think that would be problematic

A violent revolution that has a denouement with Angry Black Female leader executing a young lily white child and essentially screaming "THIS IS THE WORLD WE WANT!" boy sure makes you think maybe both sides are always equally bad right?

"Unintentional unfortunate writing"

There was rather candid interview with Levine some years ago that went on the reasoning behind those writing choices, so even if they were poorly thought out I never got the impression that they were done out of malice. I could get problematic takes from almost every piece of media, especially in a medium where the majority of its products boil down to killing and dominating to solve a conflict, so there's no point in getting mad about it as I liked the majority of what the game did even if the writing was trite at points.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

Do I need to give DeadSpace another go? I tried it out and it felt very bland and railroaded and console-y. I only got up to the part where they give you time slow before uninstalling, I didn't really see what the big fuss is about.

Edit:
Dead tittyfucking christ hell no, what are these horrible controls and movement. That took all of thirty seconds, gently caress that.

It was designed for consoles, is 100% linear, and the controls are designed for a gamepad and are godawful out of the box, although with some config tweaking they can rise to "unremarkably mediocre".

The game stands entirely on its shooting and weaponry, which are, fortunately, really good if you can get past those issues.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Dead Space is cool because it was designed around the creepy atmosphere first and foremost and just about all the gameplay serves that fact. That's why they made the game HUDless, which was pretty radical for a console game at the time.

But yeah it was a console game and trying to play the series now on PC is annoying.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dead Space 2 controls are fine. The first one is the one that even with all the fixes still has weird mouse aiming. The third one has the most "tight" controls but then the actual game is 'eh'. MP was fun st least.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Dead Space is cool because it was designed around the creepy atmosphere first and foremost and just about all the gameplay serves that fact. That's why they made the game HUDless, which was pretty radical for a console game at the time.

But yeah it was a console game and trying to play the series now on PC is annoying.

Yeah, and having slow, ponderous controls really adds to that. Isaac moves like a tank like so many other survival horror characters do, and that heightens the horror when you can't get away. And it makes those curb stomps feel so so so good when you do get them off. You can feel every single stomp.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I couldn't get over the controls in ds1. It felt like massive input lag. I could try it again.. but eh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I couldn't get over the controls in ds1. It felt like massive input lag. I could try it again.. but eh.

If you were playing on PC, did you have Vsync on? That caused huge problems with the controls.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you were playing on PC, did you have Vsync on? That caused huge problems with the controls.

I probably did. I always buy games on release as well if I'm stoked... It's probably way better then I remember with the proper settings set.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Every Dead Space game on PC has broken v-sync that introduces insane lag to the controls. You have to enable it manually through your GPU's control panel if you want it.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

I don't understand the controls thing at all. It's PC, rebind them. The only slightly awkward thing were zero g jumps and there weren't a ton of those. Dead Space n was fine and good, but I have to say I'm lovin' Dead Space 2. Controls are fine, it's a third person view which, once I got used to it, is fine.

Agreed with the atmosphere. One thing that really dates it IMO is the quick time events.

PRESS E
PRESS E
PRESS E

HOW ABOUT I PRESS "CLOSE THIS GAME AND GO BACK TO 2003"

No,its a lot of fun! Now the real question is should I buy Dead Space 3? I heard it felt rushed and another studio came in and mucked it up, gearbox style. I'd like to know people's thoughts on that game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The best part of Dead Space 3 is its second bit, where you're flying around and investigating a ship graveyard - apparently the original plan was to go harder on that element, but they demurred and went with the ice planet bit for the last half of the game.

It's decent, but not really revelatory. It isn't Gears of War or anything but it loses the sense of dread and scale that worked about the original and 2, respectively.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 26, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Floodixor posted:

I don't understand the controls thing at all. It's PC, rebind them. The only slightly awkward thing were zero g jumps and there weren't a ton of those. Dead Space n was fine and good, but I have to say I'm lovin' Dead Space 2. Controls are fine, it's a third person view which, once I got used to it, is fine.

Agreed with the atmosphere. One thing that really dates it IMO is the quick time events.

PRESS E
PRESS E
PRESS E

HOW ABOUT I PRESS "CLOSE THIS GAME AND GO BACK TO 2003"

No,its a lot of fun! Now the real question is should I buy Dead Space 3? I heard it felt rushed and another studio came in and mucked it up, gearbox style. I'd like to know people's thoughts on that game.

The VSync thing would absolutely tank your mouse sensitivity, the control problems weren’t a matter of rebinding.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Floodixor posted:

I don't understand the controls thing at all. It's PC, rebind them.

So, first of all, the thing everyone complains about in Dead Space is the way mouselook feels, which can concisely be described as "fucky". You can't "rebind that" short of using a completely different kind of input device like a controller for aiming. As others have pointed out this is mostly a problem with how Dead Space handles vsync and can be dramatically improved by turning it off, but not knowing that it's entirely justifiable to say "the mouse controls in this game suck to the point of unplayability" and rebinding which buttons do what does nothing to address that.

Independent of that, since controllers have so few buttons, you often end up with a few inputs badly overloaded -- e.g. "press this to reload your weapon, or press it while standing near an NPC to tell them to follow you, or press it while standing near an interactable to frob it, or hold it down to switch weapons, and also it's used in some QTEs and means 'cancel' in menus". Which is fine if that's what you like, but most of the time there isn't even the option to split that functionality into multiple controls to take advantage of the profusion of buttons on mice and keyboards. In those cases, "just rebind it" is a non-starter because you can't rebind one control without bringing half a dozen others with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

Independent of that, since controllers have so few buttons, you often end up with a few inputs badly overloaded -- e.g. "press this to reload your weapon, or press it while standing near an NPC to tell them to follow you, or press it while standing near an interactable to frob it, or hold it down to switch weapons, and also it's used in some QTEs and means 'cancel' in menus". Which is fine if that's what you like, but most of the time there isn't even the option to split that functionality into multiple controls to take advantage of the profusion of buttons on mice and keyboards. In those cases, "just rebind it" is a non-starter because you can't rebind one control without bringing half a dozen others with it.

I’m really hoping back-of-controller paddles become standard in the next gen, they kick so much rear end for giving you more buttons to work with. Even just taking sprint and melee off of clicking the stick is a huge bonus.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's funny that we've wound up at Dead Space talk in this thread, it's the alternate fork of Prey. The System Shock license was notoriously snarled up in legal issues, but EA owned the rights to the System Shock concepts and characters, just not the name of the franchise; and so they started work on the new System Shock game at some point before it became Dead Space. Prey and Dead Space are about as different as you can get gameplay-wise, but it's not too hard to see how both of them trace their roots to the Shock franchise.

Floodixor posted:

I don't understand the controls thing at all. It's PC, rebind them. The only slightly awkward thing were zero g jumps and there weren't a ton of those.

There was way more wrong with it than bad default bindings. Chief among them was a built in negative mouse acceleration. Mouse accel that you can't turn off in a game is bad enough, but negative acceleration? Who thought this was a good idea??? It also has a built in aiming deadzone which is fine on a controller but not great on a mouse, and it has different sensitivities in the horizontal and vertical planes that you cannot adjust, again, same deal.

Oh, and the fact that the default FOV is 40 when ~90-100 is comfortable on a PC doesn't help either.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Floodixor posted:

Depends. Do you want a Space Redneck to lock you up in a trap-filled room and dozens of necromorphs rush into the room akin to a shooting gallery while this song plays over the speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDt_ty4pO-A

If your answer is yes, then i guess you should get Dead Space 3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Depends. Do you want a Space Redneck to lock you up in a trap-filled room and dozens of necromorphs rush into the room akin to a shooting gallery while this song plays over the speakers:

are you serious

like I knew it was bad

but not random country music interlude bad

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Arivia posted:

are you serious

like I knew it was bad

I googled "Dead Space 3 country music" and he is extremely serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6l4T3R6DYc

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m really hoping back-of-controller paddles become standard in the next gen, they kick so much rear end for giving you more buttons to work with. Even just taking sprint and melee off of clicking the stick is a huge bonus.

On the PC side, what I want to see is more developers adopting the (all together now) Looking Glass approach where you can bind anything to any key or combination of keys, and you can bind the same key to any number of commands, so if you want six different things on E you can and if you want all your weapons to be selected using combinations of WASD and the alt and ctrl keys, you can do that too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Arivia posted:

are you serious

like I knew it was bad

My chance to buy it in a sale increased, honestly.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

So, first of all, the thing everyone complains about in Dead Space is the way mouselook feels, which can concisely be described as "fucky". You can't "rebind that" short of using a completely different kind of input device like a controller for aiming. As others have pointed out this is mostly a problem with how Dead Space handles vsync and can be dramatically improved by turning it off, but not knowing that it's entirely justifiable to say "the mouse controls in this game suck to the point of unplayability" and rebinding which buttons do what does nothing to address that.

You talked about console controllers and such as alternate inputs in your post here but I don't have one of those, let me be more clear

I played it on an old PC with keyboard/mouse. I had vsynch turned off. I rebound the keys to stuff that was easy to use, it ran super smooth and looked great, I didn't ever think the mouse controls were fucky or totally unusable or anything, the one hard part at first for me was just adapting to that over the shoulder view that I'm normally not crazy about but then I got used to it and I had a great time playing a fun game and I really enjoyed it

I don't understand the almost whiplash in tone in response to the mouse controls, like it being unplayable, like I picture a bunch of sweaty dudes fuming at their screen with 13 peripherals trying to get the GODDAMN 4TH WEAPON SLOT BOUND AUGH gently caress and I just feel like I'm living in a different reality here, I really do, it was totally fine and really smooth

But I was also weirdly taken aback by the almost angry tone of a response to a suggestion to rebind keys, perhaps I do not understand the bad times others have had with getting it set up to a way that feels decent for them to use and I am sorry if that is true or if my post made you upset

I just wanted to thank the person that suggested it anyway

Edit: like maybe it was patched down the line and that's the version I got but it used to be all messed up?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

HenryEx posted:

While that sure sounds like a departure in tone from the other two, I mean... Maybe. Thanks for the summary, though.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

aniviron posted:

It's funny that we've wound up at Dead Space talk in this thread, it's the alternate fork of Prey. The System Shock license was notoriously snarled up in legal issues, but EA owned the rights to the System Shock concepts and characters, just not the name of the franchise; and so they started work on the new System Shock game at some point before it became Dead Space. Prey and Dead Space are about as different as you can get gameplay-wise, but it's not too hard to see how both of them trace their roots to the Shock franchise.

This is a thoughtful way to look at it, I hadn't thought of it in that context. Thanks!

quote:

There was way more wrong with it than bad default bindings. Chief among them was a built in negative mouse acceleration. Mouse accel that you can't turn off in a game is bad enough, but negative acceleration? Who thought this was a good idea??? It also has a built in aiming deadzone which is fine on a controller but not great on a mouse, and it has different sensitivities in the horizontal and vertical planes that you cannot adjust, again, same deal.

Oh, and the fact that the default FOV is 40 when ~90-100 is comfortable on a PC doesn't help either.

Again, like my response a few back, it felt totally fine to me (I wouldn't have minded a bigger FOV for SURE though), like to the degree that it could only be patched up in the version I have. I bought off gog if that means anything re: mouse controls

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Avasculous posted:

I googled "Dead Space 3 country music" and he is extremely serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6l4T3R6DYc

Yeah slaughtering necromorphs to that is sort of jarring and gross so I think I kind of get what they were going for. I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna BUY IT.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

to be fair to Dead Space 3 the original game features a poorly entirely unveiled pastiche of Scientology as a major setting detail

DS3's tone is generally straightforward sci-fi horror, arguably closer to 1 than 2

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unitologists were there from the jump. You don't bring in Garth Ennis to go for subtlety

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Floodixor posted:

You talked about console controllers and such as alternate inputs in your post here but I don't have one of those, let me be more clear

I played it on an old PC with keyboard/mouse. I had vsynch turned off. I rebound the keys to stuff that was easy to use, it ran super smooth and looked great, I didn't ever think the mouse controls were fucky or totally unusable or anything, the one hard part at first for me was just adapting to that over the shoulder view that I'm normally not crazy about but then I got used to it and I had a great time playing a fun game and I really enjoyed it

I don't understand the almost whiplash in tone in response to the mouse controls, like it being unplayable, like I picture a bunch of sweaty dudes fuming at their screen with 13 peripherals trying to get the GODDAMN 4TH WEAPON SLOT BOUND AUGH gently caress and I just feel like I'm living in a different reality here, I really do, it was totally fine and really smooth

I'm glad it worked out of the box for you. That was not the case for most of the people who played it on PC within a few years of it coming out, and it's hard to describe in words how truly, shockingly bad the aiming controls were on install for anyone using a mouse. I do not consider it an exaggeration to call it unplayable, because it is a game that places a heavy emphasis on precision aim and also requires you to look around, and you basically could not reliably do either of those.

It would not surprise me if GOG had, if not patched the exe itself, at least overhauled the config files it ships with to mitigate the issue. Note that turning vsync off makes things dramatically better; originally the game shipped with it on by default (and most people want it on), so it was real bad out of the box.

quote:

But I was also weirdly taken aback by the almost angry tone of a response to a suggestion to rebind keys, perhaps I do not understand the bad times others have had with getting it set up to a way that feels decent for them to use and I am sorry if that is true or if my post made you upset

The reason for the angry response is because people were talking about a problem that has nothing to do with, and cannot be fixed by, rebinding controls, and you came in with "I don't understand why you're having so much trouble, just rebind the controls :eyeroll:", which, whether you intended it this way or not, came across as the perfect combination of being smugly dismissive while also not actually understanding the problem and presenting a solution for a completely different problem.

In fact, this post here talking about binding weapon slots and stuff makes it look like you still don't understand what people were complaining about.

My second paragraph, about overloaded inputs, could have been clearer: it's not about Dead Space specifically but discussing more general issues that commonly arise in games that have been designed with controller input in mind and then ported to PC without thinking about how the control scheme will work on a keyboard. It's unrelated to DS's mouse control issues, which are, as far as I know, uniquely bad.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Heh, whatever account I used to buy ds1 is long since dead so, I'll never get a chance to test if the game actually is ketamine wheelchair simulator.

Arkane handle controls very well.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Dang no I had idea the mouse control was so garbage at the start. I remembered hearing something about vsync in the past about it but I always turn it off any game anyway, but bad enough to where it was mentionable in reviews and such

I didn't mean to sound smug, I just didn't get what the heck people were talking about since I was playing fine right away!

Edit: yeah I can see how my tone could be read as smug when I said to rebind keys but as is par for the course, written commutation isn't always the best, but I think I could have deffo typed it out better. Apologies, no smugness meant, I'm not someone who tries to be mean online, especially in one of my favorite threads for my favorite game besides SS2

Edit 2: OK I tried to find it online but couldn't, what I seem to remember is that dead space even had an ingame message if "turn off vsync" in blood in a very visible wall in the game - did I imagine that? And if the crew knew that it was going to be such a massive liability to game play performance, what necessity of inclusion is there for it?

Floodixor fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 28, 2020

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Anyway I bought dead space 3 and I'm installing it right now, actually, so fingers crossed

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dead Space 3 has some neat gameplay improvements along with some of the dumbest writing I've ever seen

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Floodixor posted:

Edit 2: OK I tried to find it online but couldn't, what I seem to remember is that dead space even had an ingame message if "turn off vsync" in blood in a very visible wall in the game - did I imagine that? And if the crew knew that it was going to be such a massive liability to game play performance, what necessity of inclusion is there for it?

The bloody "turn off vsync" message at the start was a last minute addition to the PC port by the devs because they couldn't figure out solving the vsync interaction with mouse look in time for the PC port's release

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

40 Proof Listerine posted:

The bloody "turn off vsync" message at the start was a last minute addition to the PC port by the devs because they couldn't figure out solving the vsync interaction with mouse look in time for the PC port's release

Ok, that's pretty loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Unitologists were there from the jump. You don't bring in Garth Ennis to go for subtlety

Warren Ellis.