Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd return the UDM Pro and get a Netgate SG3100 if you want to do anything with VPNs - Ubiquiti's VPN support is appalling. If you have a really fast home internet service then you might want to consider the SG5100.

Internet Explorer posted:

Or stand up a VPN behind the UDM.

Seriously? How is Ubiquiti recommended by anyone?

I'm bought in so I'm going to give it a go this weekend when it comes in. I'd still like to increase my chances of successfully setting this thing up, so if anyone has had any positive experiences and can provide guidance, please do so. It's very appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

namlosh posted:

Seriously? How is Ubiquiti recommended by anyone?

Their wifi and switching is pretty good. Their routers not so much.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Evis posted:

Their wifi and switching is pretty good. Their routers not so much.

Fair enough... I should have known not to trust the OP that has 3 of their routers listed under the power user section, lol

Well, wish me luck everybody! I'mma try to make this work this weekend!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

namlosh posted:

Fair enough... I should have known not to trust the OP that has 3 of their routers listed under the power user section, lol

Well, wish me luck everybody! I'mma try to make this work this weekend!

I mean, it'll do it. VPN servers are fairly niche and even most "power users" aren't setting up Azure site-to-site VPNs or terminating point-to-site VPNs on them.

I personally wouldn't even bother, because I'd use a dedicated VPN solution for my VPNs. It's easy enough to set up Wireguard or OpenVPN.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Speaking of UBNT...

Current 1BR apartment setup is an ER4 + 2x EdgeSwitch 8s, with an Airport Extreme as my AP. Has been basically rock-solid for 2 years (uptime 1 year, 3 months as I type this), after a lot of elbow grease getting it up and running, and setting up an OpenVPN tunnel for me to VPN in remotely (I could never get IKEv2 + StrongSwan to work). I'll be damned if I can remember how I set up a lot of stuff today, but I know on the ER4 I have a lot of stuff stored in its persistent storage, which is nice. It's fed with Wave G gigabit and I can pretty consistently max that out on this guy, and the VPN has never wanted for performance. Current apartment is new construction and even had a structured wiring panel. No real complaints on the EdgeRouter 4. EdgeSwitches are fine too, but in retrospect, I kinda forgot about trying to get UNMS running and probably did not need to pay the premium for those guys.

Anyways, in 2018 when I got this stuff, the answer for EdgeMax vs. UniFi was EdgeMax was the power user's way to go, you could tweak to your heart's content and it was all gravy. Now, I'm moving in a few weeks (if all goes well) as I've bought a condo that's basically a townhome, four stories. Unknown what internet connectivity options I'll have, but the place was built in 1984, so there are no Cat5 / Ethernet jacks in any of the rooms. Just a lot of old security system RJ11 wiring everywhere.

So, with four floors, I'm looking at switching over to Ubiquiti APs (probably the nanoHD and/or FlexHDs.... the nerd in me wants the SHD for the data / WIPS, but that's like $200 more) which has me thinking about UniFi vs. EdgeMax again. Looks like UniFi has new products now like the USG-PRO/Dream Machine Pro and similar that would nicely slot into a rack. Are EdgeMax routing + switching + UniFi APs still pretty common? Or have we gotten to the point of UniFi being decent enough for power-users that I should make the hop over? Previous posts make it seem like even that product is currently a giant loving dumpster fire. If I keep my EdgeMax gear, and just want to manage only UniFi APs, do I still need that controller key / VM / appliance / whatever?

My current plan is to co-locate most of the network hardware up in the office, if I can get the Internet connection to start out there. The only place I really "need" a wired backbone for starters is down to the living room, and then to the AP on each floor. I suppose I could fish a cheap LC fiber down there to "future" proof, but I don't think I really need 10GbE support right now.

The final stick on this, is that I would like to upgrade my parents' place from an Orbi (bad call on my part, it's flaky) to an UBNT setup as well. In an ideal scenario, I'd love a site-to-site VPN setup to make remote desktop in easy to help them out, and if my new place has a fast enough connection, bridge my Plex server and NAS over to them as well. So, having two appliances / gateways that can talk to each other would be the poo poo.

tl;dr — the often asked UniFi vs. EdgeMax question, now in March (almost April) 2020.

movax fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 25, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm not sure where to ask this, but I feel like this is the best place. I recently discovered Steam Link on my phone, and it works fantastically. However, I'd like to somehow set it up to where I can wake my computer from my phone so I can just pop into a game any time. I enabled wake on LAN in my BIOS, and set my network adapter to allow waking the PC. What else do I need to do?

Edit: I guess just forcing the Steam Link app to start streaming even though it says I'm not connected send a magic packet to wake. That works!

Edit 2: Not from mobile though, only when I'm on my own wifi. I'm sure there's advanced ways of doing this but its over my head.

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 25, 2020

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Be aware that you have to use AT&T's dumb residential gateway with their fiber service. The Arris (?) BGW210 will let you use it as a bridge with a different router and that works fine, but if you're like me, and are stuck with a Pace 5268AC, you'll be boned. Google "5268AC DMZ plus" if you'd like to read about the problems with it. There are ways around using their residential gateway that have been mentioned in this thread but you'll still need to keep the RG around.

A fun side note, I'm paying for the gigabit service now (was 100/100) and I'm only getting 400/500 while wired. Not sure if it's because my laptop dock is USB3 or if it's the dumb 5268ac but I haven't really felt like troubleshooting it.

Good to know. Looks like there are a bunch of trucks to get around the gateway.

I'm not completely tied to ubiquiti by any means, and looking above it seems that ubiquiti might not be that great. Is there another lower prices router anyone could recommend? Is there a cheap way to build my own low power pfsense box?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but I feel like this is the best place. I recently discovered Steam Link on my phone, and it works fantastically. However, I'd like to somehow set it up to where I can wake my computer from my phone so I can just pop into a game any time. I enabled wake on LAN in my BIOS, and set my network adapter to allow waking the PC. What else do I need to do?

Edit: I guess just forcing the Steam Link app to start streaming even though it says I'm not connected send a magic packet to wake. That works!

Edit 2: Not from mobile though, only when I'm on my own wifi. I'm sure there's advanced ways of doing this but its over my head.

Wake On LAN only works on the same network, if you're lucky enough to get it working reliably there. You won't be able to do it across the internet. You _might_ be able to do it over a VPN, but it's really not worth it. With most modern computers, leaving them on and idling doesn't use much power at all, if having access all the time is important to you.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, leave your computer on. In the winter it's a perfectly efficient heater.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Get a tiny sbc card like a raspi zero to run 24/7 and execute the wake on lan commands remotely(i've found this docker package that should do the trick https://github.com/daBONDi/go-rest-wol). You cannot do wake on lan on a different network.

There are products like the QNAP QWU-100 that does it without issue or effort but it’s not super cheap.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 25, 2020

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

TheWevel posted:

A fun side note, I'm paying for the gigabit service now (was 100/100) and I'm only getting 400/500 while wired. Not sure if it's because my laptop dock is USB3 or if it's the dumb 5268ac but I haven't really felt like troubleshooting it.

Plug directly into the Pace and test. I was seeing these kinds of speeds when DMZplus was enabled.

namlosh posted:

The four Ubiquiti power user routers listed in the OP were Edgemax routers, not UniFi. You walked into the "recommend me a car" thread, saw the word Toyota, bought a Prius and are mad because you're not able to fit a pallet of plywood in the back.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 25, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Internet Explorer posted:

This is really odd. Having such different down/up rates when you should be seeing similar. 1) What are you testing from? 2) Can you use iperf to test between two clients on the LAN?

H2SO4 posted:

Plug directly into the Pace and test. I was seeing these kinds of speeds when DMZplus was enabled.

astral posted:

Did you have QoS set up for your old speeds without updating the configuration since the speed upgrade?

I finally got around to doing some more troubleshooting on my problem last night. I'm not using QoS and I'm not using DMZ plus. I plugged my work laptop directly into the Pace and got the same terrible results so I'm guessing I'm going to need AT&T to come out. Unfortunately I can't do an ethernet to ethernet test because my other laptop is a Macbook Pro and I don't have a thunderbolt to gigabit lan adapter for it.

I used to have Uverse TV, so my fiber drop and RG are in my living room. I'm using one of the LAN ports on the Pace plugged into the wall to backfeed a 5 port gigabit switch, which then feeds my office. I restarted the 5 port switch, the Pace, and the NID and keep getting the same results. :saddowns:

edit: my work laptop has Symantec Endpoint Protection on it and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TheWevel posted:

edit: my work laptop has Symantec Endpoint Protection on it and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it

If you're getting the same exact results on your USB NIC (on a different laptop) that you are on your work laptop (with Symantec Endpoint Protection) then I'd be surprised they were both a problem to the same exact extent. It does sound like you've exhausted the testing you can do with the equipment and expertise that you have, but it's still early and I'm not awake yet.

Did you confirm those results from multiple different online speedtests?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Yes. So AT&T requires you to use their speed test, and I get even worse results there than speedtest.net. I've been using the same local server on speedtest and have been getting 400/600. The AT&T test gave me the 200/800 result.

Also, update: I used cleanwipe to uninstall SEP and still got the same results so now it's definitely up to AT&T to fix.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SlowBloke posted:

Get a tiny sbc card like a raspi zero to run 24/7 and execute the wake on lan commands remotely(i've found this docker package that should do the trick https://github.com/daBONDi/go-rest-wol). You cannot do wake on lan on a different network.

There are products like the QNAP QWU-100 that does it without issue or effort but it’s not super cheap.

I VPN into my network and the router has a wake on LAN utility built into the interface (Asus WRT Merlin)

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

movax posted:

tl;dr — the often asked UniFi vs. EdgeMax question, now in March (almost April) 2020.

The big draw of the new UniFi routers are that they have significantly more powerful processors so they can handle non-hardware offloaded features much better (QoS, IDS/IPS...), they integrate multiple devices into one (router + 8p switch + IVR + controller for UDM-Pro, router + AP + controller for the UDM), and that the controller is integrated so you don't have to have a cloud key or VM managing that.

If you already have some UniFi infrastructure and don't need the better CPU power that the new routers provide then I'd give them a pass. Doing an overhaul of your parent's network would be a good use-case for the UDM though (comes with a good AP, integrated controller), but I can't speak for their reliability as I don't have one. Connect their controller to a unifi.ui.com account and you'll be able to access it wherever.

You're able to configure site-to-site VPNs between UniFi and EdgeMax routers. I've set up UniFi to UniFi VPNs before and they've been pretty solid, haven't tried EdgeMax to UniFi but I'd have to imagine it would be about the same.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I bought two Unifi APs a bit before the ACs came out. If I wanted to upgrade to an AC, how different is the Pro vs. the lite? I mean it's almost 60 bucks difference in price.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the new way to go is skip the pro and snag a Nano HD

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

calandryll posted:

I bought two Unifi APs a bit before the ACs came out. If I wanted to upgrade to an AC, how different is the Pro vs. the lite? I mean it's almost 60 bucks difference in price.

lite is 2 antennas, pro is 3. Unless your client devices have 3 antennas as well, you're not going to notice a speed difference. The only ones that have 3 that I'm aware of are some higher end laptops like Macbook Pros, and some desktop adapters. Unless you're regularly transferring large files over the wireless, it's not worth it even then IMO.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just took a quick look at the ones that would connect to it, almost everything is 2 antennas so yeah not worth it. Thanks, Amazon said they'd be here Friday if I order so going to replace my old ones.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Actuarial Fables posted:

The big draw of the new UniFi routers are that they have significantly more powerful processors so they can handle non-hardware offloaded features much better (QoS, IDS/IPS...), they integrate multiple devices into one (router + 8p switch + IVR + controller for UDM-Pro, router + AP + controller for the UDM), and that the controller is integrated so you don't have to have a cloud key or VM managing that.

If you already have some UniFi infrastructure and don't need the better CPU power that the new routers provide then I'd give them a pass. Doing an overhaul of your parent's network would be a good use-case for the UDM though (comes with a good AP, integrated controller), but I can't speak for their reliability as I don't have one. Connect their controller to a unifi.ui.com account and you'll be able to access it wherever.

You're able to configure site-to-site VPNs between UniFi and EdgeMax routers. I've set up UniFi to UniFi VPNs before and they've been pretty solid, haven't tried EdgeMax to UniFi but I'd have to imagine it would be about the same.

Honestly, the killer feature of going full Unifi is that everything's in one place. Yeah you don't get the ability to dig as deep into it without doing SSH tomfoolery but also you don't necessarily need to, and everything that you can manage is all through unifi.ui.com.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I thought I read somewhere that you have to do everything through their cloud system — no local configuration is possible without an internet connection whatsoever. That seems...extreme.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

movax posted:

I thought I read somewhere that you have to do everything through their cloud system — no local configuration is possible without an internet connection whatsoever. That seems...extreme.

You don't need an active internet connection if your controller is local, but you do need to do any configs through the controller, as any local config will get overwritten the next time the device is provisioned.

Figure that a person that likes tinkering with stuff would feel limited by the update schedule of Ubiquiti, vs being able to just install debian packages on an EdgeMax router should inspiration strike. Great for parent setups where you want to spend the least amount of time touching it though.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think I read the new UDM/UDM Pro require cloud configuration.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I can get into the settings for my UDM just using the local IP, for whatever that's worth. I don't really want to go turn off the internet for my apartment to test fully, but also I don't really see a use case for the UDM/UDM Pro where you wouldn't have an internet connection at all times.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Actuarial Fables posted:

You don't need an active internet connection if your controller is local, but you do need to do any configs through the controller, as any local config will get overwritten the next time the device is provisioned.

Figure that a person that likes tinkering with stuff would feel limited by the update schedule of Ubiquiti, vs being able to just install debian packages on an EdgeMax router should inspiration strike. Great for parent setups where you want to spend the least amount of time touching it though.

Hm, sounds like the UniFi might work better for my parents place...

If I keep my EdgeRouter for home, maybe get rid of my EdgeSwitches and go to Dell X-series or something like that, for running my UniFi APs, do I still need to pick up the Cloud Key Gen 2 or whatnot to run the controller on? I know I could put it on a RPi or a VM but the cloud key seems dead nuts simple to get working and stable.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Actuarial Fables posted:

you can mess with the json stuff to get stuff that isn't surfaced by controller as stock

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

movax posted:

Hm, sounds like the UniFi might work better for my parents place...

I've had my parents on Unifi gear for a long time and my only complaint is that i wish i did it sooner.

movax posted:

do I still need to pick up the Cloud Key Gen 2 or whatnot to run the controller on? I know I could put it on a RPi or a VM but the cloud key seems dead nuts simple to get working and stable.

You've pretty much got it. Roll your own if you want to, buy a cloudkey if you wanna set it and forget it.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 26, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Evis posted:

I think I read the new UDM/UDM Pro require cloud configuration.

It only requires connectivity for first run wizard, then you will have the controller running on the udm itself.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The belatedly "obvious" solution to me of simply trying the UDM-PRO out first, seeing if it works for my needs, and if it doesn't, simply setting it aside to deploy at my parents' place just occurred to me. I spent most of the time SSHed into my ER4 figuring out how to get OpenVPN working; never did get the time to try and get a PiHole like DNS filter for ads working, but that was the next thing I wanted to try out.

Either way, I at least ordered a Butt Key G2 and 2 FlexHDs to get started. I'll see if the effort of wiring on the ceiling for a nanoHD is worth it when I can tuck these tiny FlexHDs where I need them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I ended up buying two TP Link RE305 Wifi Extenders and, good news! They work just fine to trick my work computer and my wife's work computer into thinking they're attached to the router directly.

The bad news is they seem to randomly disconnect from the wifi/internet, and I cannot tell why. I gave them different names/SSIDs because the internet seemed to think that's important. Logging into them on the associated phone app and fiddling with them appears to fix it, but I'd like to find a permanent solution if possible? How do I troubleshoot these things?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

H2SO4 posted:

The four Ubiquiti power user routers listed in the OP were Edgemax routers, not UniFi. You walked into the "recommend me a car" thread, saw the word Toyota, bought a Prius and are mad because you're not able to fit a pallet of plywood in the back.

This has to be the worst :iiaca: that I have ever seen.

You do have a point though, I put a pallet of plywood on this UDM-Pro and it won't VPN it for poo poo!

I didn't mean to come off as mad, just disappointed in Ubiquiti. If they list something as a feature on their product it should work, full stop. It was jarring finding those posts on their forums right after buying, but I'm over it now. I'll set it up and try out the VPN stuff, and if it doesn't work well then I'll pivot.
It is odd though, I was doing a site-to-site VPN with some co-located equipment back in like 2004 using a stock (not dd-wrt or tomato) WRT54G v1.1. I figured this was a solved problem in 2020.

Thanks very much for the input guys, I plan to set it up tonight after work.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

namlosh posted:

I'm not sure what else you expected from SH/SC.

The UniFI line is dead easy for what it's meant for, VPNing between two UniFi sites. You gotta take a little ownership of the fact that you evidently didn't read the OP very closely then came in here to insinuate that the OP is wrong and Ubiquiti is poo poo. Easy to imagine why this would be annoying in the computer janitor forum.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

H2SO4 posted:

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

namlosh posted:

You do have a point though, I put a pallet of plywood on this UDM-Pro and it won't VPN it for poo poo!

I didn't mean to come off as mad, just disappointed in Ubiquiti. If they list something as a feature on their product it should work, full stop. It was jarring finding those posts on their forums right after buying, but I'm over it now. I'll set it up and try out the VPN stuff, and if it doesn't work well then I'll pivot.
It is odd though, I was doing a site-to-site VPN with some co-located equipment back in like 2004 using a stock (not dd-wrt or tomato) WRT54G v1.1. I figured this was a solved problem in 2020.

Thanks very much for the input guys, I plan to set it up tonight after work.

The proper :iiaca: is probably more along the lines of Tesla and advertising features that don't truly exist in their cars yet. Unifi seems to have a real bad habit of releasing things too early for general use. Its worth noting that all the features you're looking for work fine on my USG-4-PRO, the UDM-PRO just isn't there yet.

derk
Sep 24, 2004
i have a ER-X and a Unifi AC Lite. i am really happy with it all but i just upgraded to full gigabit, and i don't think the ER-X handles it well. I had the 400/400 package and that was great it handled that fine, but i am barely seeing speeds above that now that i have upgraded to full gigabit. I am new to the ubiquiti stuff, the AC Lite is awesome, and i really like my ER-X, it just works, easy to setup and does what i want without a bunch of hassle. Am I better off upgrading the ER-X to something else in the Ubiquiti line for a router or something else entirely? I have been out of the new networking stuff for quite some time. I gave away my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk after i got my ER-X. I still have my Fios G1100 router i bought laying around. Might hook it up just to test speeds with my new package.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The ER-4 has done fine for me on a 1000/1000 WaveG connection here in Seattle. Granted, I live by myself, but it hasn't hiccupped pushing big Usenet or Torrent downloads/uploads or in general ever been the cause of an issue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

derk posted:

i have a ER-X and a Unifi AC Lite. i am really happy with it all but i just upgraded to full gigabit, and i don't think the ER-X handles it well. I had the 400/400 package and that was great it handled that fine, but i am barely seeing speeds above that now that i have upgraded to full gigabit. I am new to the ubiquiti stuff, the AC Lite is awesome, and i really like my ER-X, it just works, easy to setup and does what i want without a bunch of hassle. Am I better off upgrading the ER-X to something else in the Ubiquiti line for a router or something else entirely? I have been out of the new networking stuff for quite some time. I gave away my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk after i got my ER-X. I still have my Fios G1100 router i bought laying around. Might hook it up just to test speeds with my new package.

Did you already enable hardware offloading? You should be seeing much better performance than that.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

astral posted:

Did you already enable hardware offloading? You should be seeing much better performance than that.

I think so. how do i check? gently caress i am a newb to there setups

edit: ok, i am looking into the command line stuff, i got it from here. i did not have HW offloading enabled. will post results after

derk fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I have a UDM Pro, POE 8 -60W, and 2 AP-AC-Lites. I setup all my networks and vlans, but my wireless vlans just can't handle handing out DHCP addresses over wireless. Wired is fine. This is apparently a known issue.

I've disabled DHCP snooping, tried turning off the 5G radios, tried turning off the 2G radios, and few other apocraphyl fixes and nothing works with wireless vlans. I tried installing the oldest firmware available on Ubiquiti's website, and now I am caught in an adoption loop. I'm less concerned about that though.

Is there a known fix for this at this point? Ubiquiti's forum is filled with rage and folk remedies, but nothing concrete. I just bought a nanaHD to replace both these APs since the latest thing I heard was that it is just a problem with the lites/pros/LRs, but who knows what the gently caress at this point.