Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I feel someone really wants a modder or 2 or 10 to play with primitives. They have named civics. Civics that do nothing, but they have civics. 'Secret of Fire' 'The Wheel' 'Landed Gentry'. The ones I saw had been messed with by the stone pyramid event, so they also had the origin 'Enlightened' which spoke of them being messed with.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Hate to ask this question as I probably know the answer, but did the recent updates fix the late game slowdown problems? I've never been able to finish a game before it ends up almost being unplayable.

It's a lot better. The game still freezes for me every few months at the monthly tick, but I'm playing my first game into the 2300s since 2.4. I usually would have to give up somewhere around 2275.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Voidborne start / species with Habitat Preference can live on Resort Worlds just fine, which I find amusing for some odd reason.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Voidborne start / species with Habitat Preference can live on Resort Worlds just fine, which I find amusing for some odd reason.
There's a special section just for them. Think a giant low gravity habitrail.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Finally got back to the game, settled the Rubricator relic world, did all the digging except the final stage.

Now I've got a couple of 20k fleets in orbit, I finish the dig and get the popup window - with a choice of:
[oh no!] - dragon kills the planet
[translate the hisses] - i get no dialogue window and dragon kills the planet

Was the "total genocide no matter what" always a part of this site or did the event bug out for me?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It was changed recently because a massive dragon busting out and going on a rampage should probably gently caress up the colony and not just chill above your fully developed relic world leaving it in peace.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Crazycryodude posted:

It was changed recently because a massive dragon busting out and going on a rampage should probably gently caress up the colony and not just chill above your fully developed relic world leaving it in peace.

gently caress up? Sure.
Instantly delete? gently caress the hell no, there are people who don't know this poo poo in advance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

gently caress up? Sure.
Instantly delete? gently caress the hell no, there are people who don't know this poo poo in advance.
Park in orbit and start bombarding would be a good middle ground.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just noticed that if I right click a system and select build mining stations it only charges me 100 minerals even if there's multiple stations to be built and the price on the right click menu says 300 or whatever, anyone else having this happen?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I just noticed that if I right click a system and select build mining stations it only charges me 100 minerals even if there's multiple stations to be built and the price on the right click menu says 300 or whatever, anyone else having this happen?

It will build the stations one at a time and charge you for each as it starts building them, I think.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Not a bug. The cost gets qeued up.

If you end up going below 100, it goes "can't build, refunding resources."

Works with starbases too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it kept throwing me off for a while. it's great tho

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there a good "I haven't played this since launch and am thinking of jumping back in" infosheet somewhere? The OP has some good info but it's two years old so it may be completely wrong by this point for all I know.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I didn't realize they'd changed that. Cool but gonna take some getting used to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oh I didn't realize they'd changed that. Cool but gonna take some getting used to.
Also works for queuing up outposts, so you can queue up four in a row and still only pay the regular influence cost per outpost since by the time it actually takes your influence it's not an issue. I think you still need to have the oversized influence saved up though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

I think just on the wiki
If you dig into the game files it tells you in a little code comment!

The code comment on Maniacal is wrong though.

As is the one on Paranoid.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

I thought so too, unlil I looked at the planet type modifiers.

Have you looked at the planet type modifiers?

+50% growth speed, +20% resources. 100% habitabilty for everything that can live on a planet.

Also takes FAR less strategic resources per alloy district than your planets do, while still having building space for other stuff. With a Ministry of Production you can churn out more alloys per foundry worker than any other planet.

And let's not forget, having building space free for other stuff is what made gestalts so strong in the first place.

Yeah, I know. Numbers go up faster. Still, if I want to demolish an entire planet's environment, I'd play machines and make machine worlds. The idea of an organic race destroying their own planets like this is abhorrent to me.

I never thought about this, but is it possible to take over someone's Ecu and then terraform it into a Gaia planet? Otherwise my reaction to hostile Ecus would probably be flipping a coin. Heads, I'll take them for myself, tails, I blow them up with a Colossus.

If it were possible to transform dead planets like tomb worlds or barren terraforming candidates into an Ecu, I'd probably be a lot less against them.

Edit:

I mean, straight up changing them into Ecus. I'm aware you could terraform them into something else, settle them, then transform them into an Ecumenopolis later. It just seems silly to make a completely new ecosystem just to destroy it later. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RedSnapper posted:

Finally got back to the game, settled the Rubricator relic world, did all the digging except the final stage.

Now I've got a couple of 20k fleets in orbit, I finish the dig and get the popup window - with a choice of:
[oh no!] - dragon kills the planet
[translate the hisses] - i get no dialogue window and dragon kills the planet

Was the "total genocide no matter what" always a part of this site or did the event bug out for me?

Yeah I had that problem earlier today. Fortunately for ME, I'm robots and had cybrex as precursor so I have actual pop factories to just churn out a replacement colony.

Still hosed my research over though.

...Also right as the 58 pops perished in fire, the archaeology event that makes the spiritualist FE really friendly with you popped off. Death of robots must please ZARQLAN.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

I still can't believe they made a Void Dweller origin and thought "yes, the way habitats currently are is fine" tbh.

The influence cost is just so :negative:

It pains me to admit this, but the waiting time for influence to pile up in my void dweller run eventually got so painful I started cheating myself tons of influence at some point after the first century was over. I wouldn't do it if it were possible to just get more influence some other way, but with exactly zero sources of new influence except your factions (machines as void dwellers would be even more hosed), what am I supposed to do, exactly? I need influence for all kinds of poo poo and as a void dweller, building habitats is kind of our people's thing. :shrug:

In my concurrently running machine run not having to deal with two major resources and not being void dwellers, I'm always drowning in tons of poo poo and my expansion is basically 100% based on how fast I can grow new pops

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I know. Numbers go up faster. Still, if I want to demolish an entire planet's environment, I'd play machines and make machine worlds. The idea of an organic race destroying their own planets like this is abhorrent to me.

I never thought about this, but is it possible to take over someone's Ecu and then terraform it into a Gaia planet? Otherwise my reaction to hostile Ecus would probably be flipping a coin. Heads, I'll take them for myself, tails, I blow them up with a Colossus.

If it were possible to transform dead planets like tomb worlds or barren terraforming candidates into an Ecu, I'd probably be a lot less against them.

Edit:

I mean, straight up changing them into Ecus. I'm aware you could terraform them into something else, settle them, then transform them into an Ecumenopolis later. It just seems silly to make a completely new ecosystem just to destroy it later. :v:
Extraordinarily :same:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LogisticEarth posted:

Hate to ask this question as I probably know the answer, but did the recent updates fix the late game slowdown problems? I've never been able to finish a game before it ends up almost being unplayable.

Yeah it's way better now. In multiplayer we'd usually just let the whole game run on Fast continuously, now it's noticeably faster even by the late 2200s, to the point where we often have players asking to slow it down.

Libluini posted:

Edit:

For the record there is nothing stopping you from going directly from Tomb World to Ecu right now. All you need is one pop down to start erecting housing districts and you're off to the races!

Game does not let you transform them into anything else once they're built though, but outside of RP reasons like this, there is no reason to ever do that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 26, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

For the record there is nothing stopping you from going directly from Tomb World to Ecu right now. All you need is one pop down to start erecting housing districts and you're off to the races!

Game does not let you transform them into anything else once they're built though, but outside of RP reasons like this, there is no reason to ever do that.

Eventually, I'll probably transform a tomb world just to try it out, or upgrade a relic world (since those are just giant city planets anyway, just crumbled and in ruins).

Or take over a hostile one, as then the damage is already done, our claw-like appendages are clean. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I had that problem earlier today. Fortunately for ME, I'm robots and had cybrex as precursor so I have actual pop factories to just churn out a replacement colony.

Still hosed my research over though.

...Also right as the 58 pops perished in fire, the archaeology event that makes the spiritualist FE really friendly with you popped off. Death of robots must please ZARQLAN.

The reason cited in the patch notes was "Because of the case of a criminal syndicate you can't kill/defeat in war because they're 'protected' by Shard". Which is fair enough.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Bloodly posted:

The reason cited in the patch notes was "Because of the case of a criminal syndicate you can't kill/defeat in war because they're 'protected' by Shard". Which is fair enough.

not really. Slow death so you can I don't know, park 60k fleets on top of shard. instant death is stupid and shouldn't be defended, imo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bloodly posted:

It's not fair enough, it's a very lazy solution.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If they don't want people to colonize the planet, then just give it an anomaly marker equivalent. Players shouldn't be given the gotcha treatment.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah having your entire colony obliterated instantly is dumb as hell. Now it's basically a choice between a really strong relic world in the earlygame and never getting the rubricator, or ignoring the planet until the mid-lategame when you can kill the dragon so you can get it. And honestly that's not really much of a choice at all, an early relic world is crazy good for most empires.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Crazycryodude posted:

Welp. There goes like 70% of my research capacity. I suppose I can still, reload and pause before the event fires to resettle the pops, kill the dragon recolonize and resettle again..

Unless it also eats the buildings..

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Saw this previewed in a video about space games to play while quarantined, and low and behold it's on sale. Is the OP still correct with the recommended expansions/DLC?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Libluini posted:

(machines as void dwellers would be even more hosed)
Would they? Cant they just colonize planets as normal without a growth penalty like normal void dwellers? Are they even allowed?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Are criminal megacorps still garbage in Federations? I think I saw mention earlier that regular megacorps at least are now much stronger for diplo bonuses from branches, but would figure that you don't get the same from criminal branches. It doesn't seem like the diplo stuff has a way to play different races against each other either, so my dreams of being some shadowy mafia power broker probably aren't gonna happen.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I don't have an answer to the criminal portion but Megacorps in general are insanely broken now with the admin cap rework and extra envoys.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Noticed a bug with one of my starbases where it's randomly missing gun modules. Has 17.8k combat power while an identical one in another location has 22.2k. Google indicates rebuilding the gun modules might fix it but I haven't tried yet.

Big McHuge posted:

Saw this previewed in a video about space games to play while quarantined, and low and behold it's on sale. Is the OP still correct with the recommended expansions/DLC?

Personal preference is involved, but honestly I'd pick them all up other than Federations if you want to wait for a sale. Pretty much every expansion and story pack has at least one feature I wouldn't want to give up. The only things that feel very skippable to me are the Humanoids/Plantoids/Lithoids species packs. Also obviously you can ignore the out of game stuff like the ebook and soundtrack or whatever.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Corps are good now because:
- New admin cap is kinda trivial for them to handle.
- They get the envoys and extra diplo weight and it generally works well.
- Trade Federations have some great bonuses you can pretty much take full advantage of even with a single ally.

Crime corps *are* better than before because of the admin cap changes alone (it really just doesn't really matter anymore), but they're still hot garbage compared to other corps, because they've never really fixed the garbage crime mechanics that makes their branches trash. And, you know, diplomatic buffs work better for people who don't antagonize everyone with their poo poo branches.

Also you have to stay in the Galactic Community to have access to the non-internal markets, so I guess there's some bare minimum of playing nice with others still required from mafia assholes.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I tried a criminal megacorp when 2.6 dropped and was completely shut down every time I tried opening a branch anywhere even remotely worth it. I was even gifted with empires that had corrupt governers and it still didn't help any!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

It pains me to admit this, but the waiting time for influence to pile up in my void dweller run eventually got so painful I started cheating myself tons of influence at some point after the first century was over. I wouldn't do it if it were possible to just get more influence some other way, but with exactly zero sources of new influence except your factions (machines as void dwellers would be even more hosed), what am I supposed to do, exactly? I need influence for all kinds of poo poo and as a void dweller, building habitats is kind of our people's thing. :shrug:

In my concurrently running machine run not having to deal with two major resources and not being void dwellers, I'm always drowning in tons of poo poo and my expansion is basically 100% based on how fast I can grow new pops

You can get +5 influence per month from an ambition. Doesn't help until quite late obviously, but by 2300 you shouldn't be too far from ascension theory.

(Also rivals, which it sounds like you might have forgotten about?)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I really wish Paradox would do something about Supremacy and Adaptability's orbital bombardment perks cancelling each other out. I want my orbital bombardment to sting dammit!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone feel like solar systems are extremely poor this go patch? I keep getting nothing but 2 energy or 2 Physics research systems everywhere near my homeworld every game I start. My last game as Void Dwellers I had to go five jump to find one energy deposit that wasnt a sun, and equally as far for additional mineral deposits to build more Habitats over. Its really frustrating to me because it makes taking space feel like a penalty rather than I am taking something worth having, and it would really be nice if taking space was more exciting rather than a chore. Like... god forbid space other than planets be worth fighting for!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyone feel like solar systems are extremely poor this go patch? I keep getting nothing but 2 energy or 2 Physics research systems everywhere near my homeworld every game I start. My last game as Void Dwellers I had to go five jump to find one energy deposit that wasnt a sun, and equally as far for additional mineral deposits to build more Habitats over. Its really frustrating to me because it makes taking space feel like a penalty rather than I am taking something worth having, and it would really be nice if taking space was more exciting rather than a chore. Like... god forbid space other than planets be worth fighting for!

I haven't seen that, but I'm using Guil's mod that's been linked here and it affects that. Don't have the full mod name/spelling handy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bloodly posted:

I just kind of figured it was to stop jerks like me from stealing it and using it as a massive research boost early on :v: