Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oasx posted:

I just watched the Netflix Dracula series, the first two episodes are good, but then it gets really dumb. So Dracula wakes up in present time and is captured by a foundation that wants to study him, this is all pretty cool and a nice twist to the series. But the Dracula calls a lawyer and he gets let out so he can start killing people again.
It’s a really weird story decision and a lot of the episode just doesn’t make much sense.

From what I've heard, it just keeps getting dumber and dumber until it finally peaks in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I'm very pleasantly surprised that Elementary managed to duck all that. Holmes and Watson have a relationship that grows as the show goes on but it's never a romantic one. As least in the seasons I saw, I really hope they kept that up.

They did keep it up, and that show a strong right to the very end. Really good one. I'd recommend it for anybody who is currently trapped inside.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

cosmin posted:

So i’m not alone in finding Preacher underwhelming? Don’t know why it didn’t work, I guess its pulpy feel transcribed better to comics than live action..

We had a lot of discussions about it when it first premiered. Preacher the comic is very much a child of the 90s, it's definitely not a "good" comic but I have fond memories of it because it was the first new non-Marvel comic I got into. I still love the characters and stories, and they just neutered them for the show.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

After years of hearing about it, stay-at-home edicts by my state's Governor have convinced me to finally attempt a binge watch of the NBC version of The Office.

I say "attempt" because I'm on episode 4 and, if not for Jim and Pam, I would have shut it off 10 minutes into the pilot. That said, I've been told to stick it out until at least season 2. Thoughts?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The first season is really rough and the show doesn’t improve until it starts focusing on becoming its own thing and making Michael somewhat likable instead of a giant rear end in a top hat. Season 2 is a huge improvement.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Argue posted:

All TV adaptations should be in crime procedural format. Give me an adaptation of Pride of Baghdad where every week the dad lion solves an animal-related crime (his fee is that he gets to feed the culprit to his family)
It's a gritty modern-day remake about a New York detective named Rex Pride, and it's called King Of The Jungle.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

After years of hearing about it, stay-at-home edicts by my state's Governor have convinced me to finally attempt a binge watch of the NBC version of The Office.

I say "attempt" because I'm on episode 4 and, if not for Jim and Pam, I would have shut it off 10 minutes into the pilot. That said, I've been told to stick it out until at least season 2. Thoughts?

Season 1 is rough but I think by the end it starts to find its footing. Season 2 is where it really hits its stride though, they retool the entire character of Michael partly due to the success of The 40 Year Old Virgin and wanting to build off Steve Carrell's sudden popularity from it. My personal ranking of Office seasons:

1: Rough but some good bits
2-3: Really good, and the show's peak
4-5: Some decline but still pretty good (especially liked the last arc of season 5 with Idris Elba)
6: Just terrible
7: Big improvement on 6, because Carrell announced he was leaving so they start to actually develop his character in new ways
8: Worse than 6, the show hugely suffers from trying to recenter around Ed Helms and the writers clearly ran out of ideas. I actually stopped watching the last few episodes and still haven't seen them.
9: Like 7, with the show concluding there's an improvement as they try to develop some characters and conclude arcs, but still a lot of dreck. Though the finale did get me, I have to admit.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Pick posted:

They did keep it up, and that show a strong right to the very end. Really good one. I'd recommend it for anybody who is currently trapped inside.

Thanks for reminding me to watch the last season, the penultimate season finale was so bad I'd forgotten to come back to the show.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So I'm using my period in isolation to catch up on vikings and am halfway through season 4 episode 15, when ragnar is on his way to king aelleto die

After ragnar's discussion with the blind driver I'm not even sure if I want to carry on. If he dies in the second half of this episode I think the last two episodes wil have been such a satisfying conclusion to the story of ragnar. It's always a twist with vikings, every season is a big curveball where ragnar is playing the long game and I think that's a shame, because I want so much for that conversation with ecbert to be genuine. His loss of faith in the old gods, and the discussion with ecbert about athelstan just seem to cap things off in such a great way.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
S1 of The Office is rough because it's following the lead of the British show where everyone sucks and is unlikable and the humor is just smug chortling at bad things happening to annoying people. Thank gently caress everyone emerged from that weird 00s fugue of thinking Ricky Gervais was good and characters that are miserable jerks for no reason are great

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sleeveless posted:

S1 of The Office is rough because it's following the lead of the British show where everyone sucks and is unlikable and the humor is just smug chortling at bad things happening to annoying people. Thank gently caress everyone emerged from that weird 00s fugue of thinking Ricky Gervais was good and characters that are miserable jerks for no reason are great

Except for it's always sunny. and breaking bad, holy poo poo gently caress everyone on that show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ricky Gervais does suck

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Extras is insanely good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The first season is really rough and the show doesn’t improve until it starts focusing on becoming its own thing and making Michael somewhat likable instead of a giant rear end in a top hat. Season 2 is a huge improvement.

Part of the thing I've found about Michael so far is that not even Steve Carell makes him funny. He's just...dull. The only good thing about him at this point in my watch is when he's made an rear end of. Dwight is also bordering on insufferable. You can make a dweeb funny or entertaining, and I figure they do this in later seasons but, at this point, he's just punchable.

Between your post and this one, however:

Chairman Capone posted:

Season 1 is rough but I think by the end it starts to find its footing. Season 2 is where it really hits its stride though, they retool the entire character of Michael partly due to the success of The 40 Year Old Virgin and wanting to build off Steve Carrell's sudden popularity from it. My personal ranking of Office seasons:

1: Rough but some good bits
2-3: Really good, and the show's peak
4-5: Some decline but still pretty good (especially liked the last arc of season 5 with Idris Elba)
6: Just terrible
7: Big improvement on 6, because Carrell announced he was leaving so they start to actually develop his character in new ways
8: Worse than 6, the show hugely suffers from trying to recenter around Ed Helms and the writers clearly ran out of ideas. I actually stopped watching the last few episodes and still haven't seen them.
9: Like 7, with the show concluding there's an improvement as they try to develop some characters and conclude arcs, but still a lot of dreck. Though the finale did get me, I have to admit.

...I'm probably going to stick with it until at least season 3.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Caught an episode of Year of the Rabbit last night after Brockmire. Pretty drat good! I've watched Toast of London and What We Do In The Shadows but haven't seen his other work, is it all this good? How has Matt Berry not completely blown up here in the states?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really would like to start watching Year of the Rabbit, but IFC is doing the dumb thing where only the last 6 episodes are in their app which means the first few of the season are not there.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bull3964 posted:

I really would like to start watching Year of the Rabbit, but IFC is doing the dumb thing where only the last 6 episodes are in their app which means the first few of the season are not there.

There's only 6 eps in the season

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished Tiger King. My takeaways are that people who own big cats are loving insane and zoos are reprehensible institutions, the latter of which I already knew.

Also Joe Exotic is a wild character, goddamn :eyepop: I'd heard his name before here and there but I wasn't aware of the extent of his history. I'm glad he didn't get to hold public office lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Davros1 posted:

There's only 6 eps in the season

Whoops, I mean they only have 3 episodes in the app and on their site. So only 4, 5, and 6.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Extras is insanely good.

I feel like I'm alone in this, but I like Extras better than The Office. Though I also haven't watched Extras in a long time and I'm worried that if I went back to it now it wouldn't live up.

Even at the time, I thought the Extras Christmas special finale was a big decline from the show proper.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Office US > Extras > Office UK

:colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Part of the thing I've found about Michael so far is that not even Steve Carell makes him funny. He's just...dull. The only good thing about him at this point in my watch is when he's made an rear end of. Dwight is also bordering on insufferable. You can make a dweeb funny or entertaining, and I figure they do this in later seasons but, at this point, he's just punchable.

Between your post and this one, however:

...I'm probably going to stick with it until at least season 3.

You definitely should. It gets a bad rap online now because it’s become so ubiquitous and popular, but it’s a genuinely good show for most of its run that managed to nail a bunch of emotional beats for a big cast of cartoony characters. It’s a bit like TNG or Cheers or P&R in that you really buy those people becoming a family over time. Once they start to give Dwight and Michael more humanizing moments and turn them from giant assholes into goofy idiots the show picks up fast and becomes a very comfortable watch.

There’s a bunch of great pairings on that show, but one of the best is whenever Dwight and Pam show genuine friendly affection for one another in the later seasons. The character has become a meme now but Rainn Wilson is so great at playing sympathetic weirdos with an obnoxious streak.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 27, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If you aren't liking The Office and you want a long binge worthy sitcom then New Girl is another great option. It's one of those weird "lets make a show centered around one semi-famous movie star" but it turns out the rest of the cast is so great she's the weakest part of the show yet still not actually bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zooey owns and New Girl owns. It takes a bit to get going, but honestly only a handful of episodes if I remember right. Been a while.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Nick Miller is my spirit animal.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I watched New Girl for maybe a season and a half, and I had to stop because the cringe humor was too much for me personally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New Girl redefines the word average. It’s fine but there’s so many better shows.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Anyone here who isn't a fan of a Classic Winston and <name> Mess Around, I don't know what to tell you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's weird watching Devs and Picard back to back since Alison Pill plays dramatically different personalities.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Lurdiak posted:

He solves crimes using satan powers, what more could you possibly want.

He uses his powers to solve crimes? I thought he just asked people what they want and then make snide remarks/hit on the DETECTIVE.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaunab posted:

He uses his powers to solve crimes? I thought he just asked people what they want and then make snide remarks/hit on the DETECTIVE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy_sMrsOVJU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

So I'm using my period in isolation to catch up on vikings and am halfway through season 4 episode 15, when ragnar is on his way to king aelleto die

After ragnar's discussion with the blind driver I'm not even sure if I want to carry on. If he dies in the second half of this episode I think the last two episodes wil have been such a satisfying conclusion to the story of ragnar. It's always a twist with vikings, every season is a big curveball where ragnar is playing the long game and I think that's a shame, because I want so much for that conversation with ecbert to be genuine. His loss of faith in the old gods, and the discussion with ecbert about athelstan just seem to cap things off in such a great way.

Do you not want to continue because you'll be satisfied with the story that was told or do you not want to continue because you're anticipating a curveball and you're gonna be rolling your eyes/unhappy that they swerved again?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why force yourself to watch TV you don't like when there's so much other TV.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Watch the 12 Monkeys show.

It’s timely AND outstanding. One of the best series finales ever. No exaggeration.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Looten Plunder posted:

Do you not want to continue because you'll be satisfied with the story that was told or do you not want to continue because you're anticipating a curveball and you're gonna be rolling your eyes/unhappy that they swerved again?

I'm extremely satisfied with the story that was told.

Curveballs and random story changes is par for the course. This show loves a swerve and ragnar is always playing the long game. The instruction to attack ecbert almost ruined it for me, because just once I wanted him to be playing it straight. The conversation with ecbert about athelstan caps things off so well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

Watch the 12 Monkeys show.

It’s timely AND outstanding. One of the best series finales ever. No exaggeration.

I always recommend this show. You'll have the time of your life.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Why force yourself to watch TV you don't like when there's so much other TV.

They’re watching a notoriously bad first season of a highly acclaimed show that gets way better starting with the second.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I always recommend this show. You'll have the time of your life.

Is it streaming anywhere?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Nick Miller is my spirit animal.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Cael posted:

Anyone here who isn't a fan of a Classic Winston and <name> Mess Around, I don't know what to tell you.

It's too bad that they didn't embrace the Winston and Cece pairing until the later seasons.