Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

i get it, though. the cops are probably going stir-crazy looking for people to arrest. everyone's routine is disrupted.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i feel legit bad after laughing at that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

somebody ate a probe for posting in in gbs or cspam a few days ago.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i used to climb at curbar all the time, there's a town less than a kilometre away and it's probably a pretty nice place to walk the dog if you live there

the uk authorities did gently caress all about the virus for weeks and now they're doing a really good line in "this is all your fault, unruly peasants"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

you don't need to drive hours away from your home to walk your dog.

oh are the yo-yo olympics in NZ this year?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here are some more cheerful work from home memes

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

i dont get this one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

burglars mad because all the stuff they could steal is already theirs.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
oh i thought it had something to do with it being quentin tarantino

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

is this from one of the lethal weapon movies?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i dont get this one

Sagebrush posted:

burglars mad because all the stuff they could steal is already theirs.

but also because quentin tarantino is hard at work thinking of more stuff to steal from hong kong cinema

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

but also because quentin tarantino is hard at work thinking of more stuff to steal from hong kong cinema
nah

that would require quentin to stop thinking about feet for a few moments

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
maybe its a house explosion from a different buddy cop movie, I can't keep them all straight

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I haven't seen one cop speed boat chase irl. movies lie to me.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

and nh has finally issued a stay at home order, joining the rest of new england

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hoping the smart people will develop a vaccine soon so I can jab it into my body and get autism and they get a Nobel prize for saving the world

day 2 of the offical lock down and I'm out of pretzels

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
was able to get groceries delivered today, and there was actually chicken breast in stock.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

covered in covid

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

my sister is a nurse at a psychiatric care facility but now they have her working at the main hospital :/

meanwhile im just sitting around playing breath of the wild lol link go hiyah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my grocery store is pretty much back to full stock except for a few random things

and all the toilet paper

people are still loving buying all the toilet paper, aisle completely empty within minutes of restocking, and they're still having to keep a security guard in the aisle to enforce one package per customer

did you know that the whole thing originally started because a japanese guy made a fearmongering facebook post saying "all japanese toilet paper comes from china, better buy yours now so you get one made before coronavirus" and that started a run on it in japan, which then spread to australia and then the rest of the world, and the japanese guy has been arrested for causing a panic but now it's just self-sustaining?

objectively it's kind of a fascinating little social event

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

superspreadators

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

press f to pay respects

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

cause all the restaurants are going out of business baldors opened up residential delivery. very good. would recommend

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sagebrush posted:

did you know that the whole thing originally started because a japanese guy made a fearmongering facebook post saying "all japanese toilet paper comes from china, better buy yours now so you get one made before coronavirus" and that started a run on it in japan, which then spread to australia and then the rest of the world, and the japanese guy has been arrested for causing a panic but now it's just self-sustaining?
Planet Money was saying that the first reports of shortage were in Hong Kong

I think there's a legit reason to expect a short-term shortage though - a bunch of short-term consumer (retail store) demand compared with reduced office supply (truck-delivered) demand. Those are not the same source, so the shelves go empty when everyone is also trying to stock-up weeks worth at the same time.

Like there's something real there, but then the overexposure in the panic makes it a bit worse.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

congrats to USA for being number one :toot::911:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

echinopsis posted:

press f to pay respects

https://twitter.com/chaosprime/status/1242533109561724931

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

my grocery store is pretty much back to full stock except for a few random things

and all the toilet paper

seems to be mostly the same here in MA, mind you i'm not going to tons of stores or anything for obvious reasons so sample size is limited here

but i really want to get some cleaning/sanitizing supplies and everything everywhere online is sold the gently caress out and/or companies' inventory systems are shot to hell, so i'm probably gonna end up going to tons of stores this weekend to find stuff in stock. very frustrating.

whenever we get through this poo poo i'm gonna end up coming out the other end as a prepper nutbag

holy poo poo that's a rough chuckle

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

congrats to USA for being number one :toot::911:

drat, couldn't let italy have this even for a single day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

“f” is already the text of the shortest sci-fi story ever written, entitled “cosmic report card: earth”

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

SO DEMANDING posted:

whenever we get through this poo poo i'm gonna end up coming out the other end as a prepper nutbag

I feel this bigtime

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

SO DEMANDING posted:

coming out the other end as a prepper nutbag

The preppers were right all along.

I'm the idiot for not recognizing that its braindead to expect that everything will just always be fine forever. Imagine actually thinking that at no point in the next 60 years can anything possibly threaten comfortable western life. Maybe current retail store situations are a result of a mismatch of supply and demand and production continues on as it always had. But you really want to bet that absolutely nothing could ever happen in the next year, 2, 10, 50 and that production will always be invincible? Surely global warming, extinction of pollinator species, suicide-gene GMO, and monoculture farming practices will never, ever have negative consequences.

But I guess we'll just keep telling ourselves that It Can't Happen Here. Surely nothing could possibly deteriorate as governments are overwhelmingly infected with a disease that is highly fatal to their age group, unemployment spikes 30% in a month, it's literally illegal to leave your house, shortages have been present in grocery stores for anywhere between 6-42 weeks with a population that has been stockpiling guns and ammunition for the last 10 years.

There won't be any writing on the walls before it happens. Who foresaw that the school year of the entire world was about to be cut 3 months short and the entire state of california was going to be on lockdown in 10 days, 10 days before it happened.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Methanar posted:

There won't be any writing on the walls before it happens. Who foresaw that the school year of the entire world was about to be cut 3 months short and the entire state of california was going to be on lockdown in 10 days, 10 days before it happened.

Being a prepper doesn't solve the problem. What are you going to do, work a garden for 5 years before dying from a tooth infection? It's poo poo. At the end of the day we're in this together and it's a myth that everyone can just turn into Robinson Crusoe and live off the land free from society. A libertarian fever dream. You're way better off, and all of us are better off, if you spend that time and energy organizing communities and practicing political action.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Being a prepper doesn't solve the problem. What are you going to do, work a garden for 5 years before dying from a tooth infection? It's poo poo. At the end of the day we're in this together and it's a myth that everyone can just turn into Robinson Crusoe and live off the land free from society. A libertarian fever dream. You're way better off, and all of us are better off, if you spend that time and energy organizing communities and practicing political action.

Emergency prepping solves common, short term problems and is not without merit. Everyone should have supplies for when, for instance, a massive earthquake hits and everything is destroyed and it takes several weeks for things like power, food and clean water to return.

End of the world prepping as commonly practiced is dumb as hell for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

End of the world prepping as commonly practiced is dumb as hell for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

and frankly about 80% of the practitioners have no interest in actually preserving and helping, but are really only interested in acting out action movie fantasies where they indiscriminately murder anyone they care to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna know where or who I can talk to about how I really feel. captain foo gets sad and probes ya if you talk about it here and gf would get sad too and obv don’t wanna put a load on my kids. I made an anonymous twitter account to do so but it feels a bit pointless coz i’m just sharing it to no one. this kit-kat i’m eating isn’t making me happy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if something truly ugly happens, zombie apocalypse prepper assholes are gonna be most peoples #1 problem.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

I wanna know where or who I can talk to about how I really feel. captain foo gets sad and probes ya if you talk about it here and gf would get sad too and obv don’t wanna put a load on my kids. I made an anonymous twitter account to do so but it feels a bit pointless coz i’m just sharing it to no one. this kit-kat i’m eating isn’t making me happy

feel about what?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

creating local communities that can self sustain as much as possible is the key. create small self sustaining bubbles and then interact with other bubbles to build benefit while possible, but the bubbles can fall back into themselves and be mostly ok

rather than always relying on geographically spread supply to keep costs down

I hope this moves society away from materialism to what extent and people learn a bit about what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

buying 144 rolls of toilet paper every time the store has any in stock, the activity under discussion, is not emergency prepping. as a matter of fact you don't even need toilet paper to live. strange but true.

everyone should have a well stocked first aid kit, flashlights with spare batteries, methods of starting fires, and about a month (being frugal) of dried/canned/frozen food. your house probably has at least 2 weeks just by default if you do a normal amount of cooking and are not an incompetent facebook employee. you don't need to stockpile water because if the emergency seems imminent you just fill up your bathtub and that'll keep you going until a better system is set up. if you are really worried, maybe get a couple of 5-gallon jericans and put them in your shed.

going beyond that is getting into doomsday idiocy.