Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Tools was always somewhat if a problem but I wa always swimming in guns and ammo since regular zombies carry them

yeah, guns were never a problem because all you need to break into a gunshop was scrap metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Did they fix it so everything is no longer hinging on finding a hacksaw?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Arven posted:

Did they fix it so everything is no longer hinging on finding a hacksaw?

Ehh you still need one but the item spawnrate has been upped considerably and many more houses seem to have them in garages or sheds out back. Toolboxes also pretty easy to find now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats the catch? They don't just make things more convenient without some catch. Did they add in tool related accidents like sawing off your thumb for realism?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Leal posted:

Whats the catch? They don't just make things more convenient without some catch. Did they add in tool related accidents like sawing off your thumb for realism?

If your a hoarder like me there’s too much stuff and breaks my brain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Leal posted:

Removing all the recipes for fun things and generally making everything else more tedious. Luckily mods still exist even if the ~realism~ nerds hate it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Houses are early-game pinatas now. Stuffed with food and tools and cleaning chemicals.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Leal posted:

Well EVENTUALLY the plan I've heard is that towns and houses are well stocked now so that when the system that makes NPC's intelligently systematically loot places themselves they will slowly hoard all the good poo poo in their little forts or whatever overtime, and beginning squabbling with you and each other over resources.

Kinda doubt it will be very elegantly done, if it ever is.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Getting a forge set up is a pain in the rear end if you don’t spawn next to a river for clay, but there are also rare-ish clay deposits that spawn in swamps. They’ll be marked with one of the new auto-notes so you can search for them on the map screen, assuming you’ve wandered close enough to one.

Zombie soldiers are more common now. They can be a pain to take down with early melee but they carry an M4, M249, or M1014 with at least some ammo so they’re worth it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Getting a forge set up is a pain in the rear end if you don’t spawn next to a river for clay, but there are also rare-ish clay deposits that spawn in swamps. They’ll be marked with one of the new auto-notes so you can search for them on the map screen, assuming you’ve wandered close enough to one.

If you are going swamp exploring bring a long rope. It can be worn if need be. This is because swamps come with hidden sinkhole tiles and if you don't have a long rope you will be unable to escape and instant game over.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

reignofevil posted:

If you are going swamp exploring bring a long rope. It can be worn if need be. This is because swamps come with hidden sinkhole tiles and if you don't have a long rope you will be unable to escape and instant game over.

They might have removed that or at least severely decreased the chances of it because I havent run into this for awhile now.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Can you not just dig holes randomly anywhere and find clay anymore?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nope, there’s a specific “extract clay” construction now which needs an adjacent clay tile.

Also good advice on the rope, but I haven’t seen that either.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seatbelts are short rope. Braid a bunch together to get long rope.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nope, there’s a specific “extract clay” construction now which needs an adjacent clay tile.

That's been a construction forever, but using a shovel on any random bit of dirt (at least when I last did it about three months ago) in the 'a'ctivate menu will give you small bits of clay along with dirt and rocks.

It's much less of a pain in the butt to just spend a day digging and filling holes to get clay plus rocks for a kiln than it is to actually go around and gather rocks.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Motherfucker, and here I was just digging up every clay tile in this half-built house like an idiot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just confirmed that digging pits does give cksy lumps. If you're doing serious pottery you'll want avriverbank, but for a crucible you can just dig.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I read back a few pages, is it safe to get back into the game right now if I've taken a break for a couple of years, or are things in upheaval?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Things are currently very flat as they polish for an imminent Stable release.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
Is it worth it to use the experimental builds, or should I stick with the D version?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The recent activity in this thread has made me download the latest experimental. Time to prepare myself for the future.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
One real suggestion in the name of realism and two lies.
  • Strings and ropes in inventory should work themselves into intractable knots that take ages to separate if you want to craft with them.
  • Rolling tires! Pop them off a vehicle and roll them towards your Mad Max machine's trunk, or into a horde of zombies as a distraction.
  • Working with any sort of wire, but barbed wire especially, should require special gloves to prevent puncture wounds to your character's hands.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The serious one could work tbh. Be able to create a one tile vehicle from a tire, have it keep the momentum when you release it, and have its speed decay super slowly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Even better: add dynamite as a vehicle part installation that can share space with tires. Light the fuse, roll it towards a horde, and cover your ears.

e: or alternatively, build a remote vehicle with a fuckton of dynamite on every tile and a dinky little Rube Goldberg spraycan flamer so it can light itself up

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You could probably set off mininuke timer, leave it in the car and jump out with it still driving for a proper vehicular nuclear missile.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can already make a 1-tile vehicle with a remote driving unit, a barrel of ANFO, and a radio detonator.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The Lone Badger posted:

You can already make a 1-tile vehicle with a remote driving unit, a barrel of ANFO, and a radio detonator.

Yeah but you can't make a fuse-lit dynamite tire :colbert:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also iirc chicken walkers loving explode when they die - like, seriously blow the gently caress up, in a way that makes exploding turrets look like soggy firecrackers - so if you blunder into one at close range and can't lose it by escaping into a forest/the alleys/the dark of night, you're pretty much gonna die and that's that on that :rip:

What's extra fun is coming across one at a barricade going around a blind corner when driving.

Hope you remembered to plate your car and install camera's for driving! :unsmigghh:

On the other hand, that robotics mod is rad as gently caress in that it lets you slowly build them. If only it'd give them base/car areas to independently refill ammo from without having to risk walking out into the carnage to do it yourself. Having a base in the middle of an infested city with walker's patrolling around it would be rad.

Better yet, it'd be a half decent way to stop fungal invasions so long as you have a bot nearby to also use a flamethrower. Fungal biome's are only unmanageable since every infected NPC spawns them, they have towers and flowers that regularly spawn spores, and the hard counter means of dealing with them --- nuking them from far away --- doesn't actually work due to a bug. More manpower to tackle the invasion is a decent counter since the main problem is the number of ways it can spread. Better yet, since robots can't be infested and are usually resistant to fire you should logically be able to get up to some real Terminator poo poo to take them down if you could deal with the issue of ammunition.

Also, what's this about a migo encampment spawning? Do NPC's actually do poo poo like set up new bases now? And if so how does that work?

Edit: The main branch devs opposition to focusing on what's fun over realism is also hilarious since like every popular mod basically is quietly telling them to go gently caress themselves. There's an entire list of mods that are basically "Roll back the changes the devs made to make the game more tedious over the past two years." that are literally included in the game by default because barely anyone wants to deal with that poo poo.

In addition to that all the major content mods are wild poo poo like multiple mods adding multiple types of magic, adding vampires, adding government super soldier projects gone wrong in hilariously over the top ways, adding literally the scientists from Fallout 4 with a rename, adding the literal loving Inquisition (Only they have super powers like they're straight out of the World of Darkness.), etc, etc.

If they ever throw a fit and try to scrape the mods out of the base download the game is done. And I bet it burns some of them to think of that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 27, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Started my first lab run in literal years. For some reason a turret shot a bunch of zombies and blew the gently caress up of a bunch of walls which let me into the bunkers for a full set of army clothes. Another wall further in was destroyed and it was a room full of books. While exploring some more there was a set of stairs that led me into a locked off room with a handful of tools and an atomic car.

Currently sitting down, listening to tunes while reading all these books

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Did a newish update break mods? Nearly the entire mod list I had from before updating causes the game to crash when generating worlds. This is after updating the mods. In addition to that mods like the world gen building packs and the salvaged robots mod no longer seem to work.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 29, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Most mods are no longer maintained, and so tend to break.
There's a lunatic who keeps as many mods as possibly working as much as possible though. Try his version of the mod in question:
https://discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/mods-unleashed-compilation-v-0-2-unofficial/22725

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
IIRC they also flagged mods that still work but hadn't been updated in a while as obsolete for reasoning of no longer being maintained. They are all still in the game files and you can edit the json to allow them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow this is the most cataclysmrealism.txt thing: I set a fire in a furnace inside a house and had to loving leave the room cause it was getting so hot I was getting blisters. The gently caress is this?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
forgot to set the thermostat

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Realism aside, I'm currently making a firing line with another survivor I found in the wild and a chef with 2 broken legs that I found balls deep in the city, I'm smoking joints to dull the pain while fishing rounds out of my trunk to keep everyone loaded. Game owns.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Do craters on the map usually correspond with a lab relatively close by?

Still playing in the 0.D version if it counts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Not as far as I am aware.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Craters seem to be random. Military (corpses) and helicopter crashes seem like they mean some military building is close by but that might also be confirmation bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Might actually work the other way around, I found a huge-rear end research lab practically covered with craters, portals, and crashed helicopters.