Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
You heard him Bioenchanted they’re only twenty dollars,don’t forget to lick your 20 dollar ps3 while you’re at it and rub your eye along the controller.
(Sarcasm btw)

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Extremely off-brand for Bioenchanted to play a game made/remastered after 2005.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol wasnt bioenchanted posting about Control just a week or so ago?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dash Rendar posted:

lol wasnt bioenchanted posting about Control just a week or so ago?

The moment BioEnchanted started playing Control, it somehow became a Europe-exclusive PS2 budget title.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
At this point I’m actually expecting Bio to find and play the legendary Friends video game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It'll be like the opening of Indiana Jones. I'll use the weight of the Sherlock Holmes and the Silver Earring case to prevent the traps going off as I free the Friends box from it's tomb.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Bio could literally start a sentence with "So I was playing the Friends game after seeing it for cheap, and there's one part where..." and I'd immediately believe him because a phantom game existing entirely within a meme on the internet is not the wildest thing he's admitted to playing.

Playing Animal Crossing, and I'm bummed that to get the description of donations from Blathers, you need to donate each item individually, which can be a cumbersome process. I'd just like to donate in bulk and have him go through each item and their description individually.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Another tedious thing about animal crossing is that you can't just buy things anymore, you have to craft them. Like Fish Bait. To craft it you have to dig up a clam from the beach, which don't stack so you can only hold as many as you have inventory slots, then craft them one by one into fish baits, which stack to 10 per slot. One use of a fish bait lets you summon a random fish. Except the amount of effort required to get one absolutely makes them worthless to get, because instead you're better off just running back and forth and hoping for the best. So there's mechanics that might be useful, that are utterly rendered so useless by the crafting mechanic that they loop around to being actively harmful to what you're trying to do to enjoy the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So Animal Crossing is turning into Runescape?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kind of. What makes it even worse is that every time you dig up one of those clams it eats away at your shovel durability, so soon enough that's going to break. So you're going to have to go back to the crafting bench to craft a new shovel so you can dig up more clams (40 slots is the maximum inventory by the by, assuming you leave a clam on the beach and have absolutely nothing else in your inventory until the shovel breaks that means you can have 40 clams) so you can craft all of your clams into bait so you can summon fish to fish with your rod, which also degrades and breaks.

There are no infinite durability tools. You can not craft multiple clams at once. You can't buy bait or clams. For the amount of time all of this takes it's just smarter, safer and straight up less time consuming to walk along the beach or river and manually scare away any fish you don't want until you find the fish you do want.

EDIT: The repetition is giving me brain worms, I apologize.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sounds like the game was designed by Tom Nook himself, just a constant loop there's no escape from.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Risk of Rain: your player character is super tiny on a large TV screen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mamkute posted:

Risk of Rain: your player character is super tiny on a large TV screen.

It definitely was made to be played on a monitor, I can’t see that working on a TV that’s 4-6 feet away at all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Playing Doom 3 still and I killed a demon with exactly 1 health left and the game auto saved and half a second later I’m killed by a guy behind me so the game loads with me half a second from dying now. Tried like 10 different things and nothing works. My last manual save is like 25 minutes back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

More like Oldlifeless.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Playing Doom 3 still and I killed a demon with exactly 1 health left and the game auto saved and half a second later I’m killed by a guy behind me so the game loads with me half a second from dying now. Tried like 10 different things and nothing works. My last manual save is like 25 minutes back.

I remember that being a thing. The Penny Arcade guys made a post or comic about it cause it happened to both of them.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I had Halo autosave as I was falling off a cliff in the Warthog, guess I went over the checkpoint line, just... while falling to my death.

Came in here to say that when playing Gran Turismo 3 you have no way of seeing how good your opponents are without racing and seeing how hard you get whupped. In GT1 you could scout models, horsepower and weight before racing and I remember GT4 having an ingenious points system to show if you were underpowered or curbstomping. I just dumped too many credits into my Vitz so I could play the Vitz championship and it turns out it wasn't enough to be competitive, now I need to grind or sell cars and I don't like either of those.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the only two championships I never won in GT3 was that Vitz championship and the Miata endurance race.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I wish it wasn't so darn tempting to only win the special-make races by just maxing out points and just being flat-out faster.

I love close races, but they're hard to get. Usually I'm either way faster or without a prayer. Getting that nail-biter close finish is pretty rare.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
It's really odd, you get the top of the line version as a prize car quite early so it stands to reason that you should use it to win the Vitz championship. Nope, turns out the other 5 racers are people who bought the standard Vitz and turned them into hard-tuned sleepers.

GT3 is the only one I didn't play on release and it feels like the hardest by far.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Walton Simons posted:

I had Halo autosave as I was falling off a cliff in the Warthog, guess I went over the checkpoint line, just... while falling to my death.

I had the same in Jedi Knight, before autosave was a thing. I stepped off a cliff hours into an adolescent gaming session, reached for quickload and accidentally hit quicksave (remember when those were always next to each other?). I ended up with a save that was a loop of Kyle Katarn screaming falling to his death on an autoload loop. Decided it was time to go to bed.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Duke Nukem 3D. Enemy RPG an inch from the back of my head. One save file.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

jojoinnit posted:

I had the same in Jedi Knight, before autosave was a thing. I stepped off a cliff hours into an adolescent gaming session, reached for quickload and accidentally hit quicksave (remember when those were always next to each other?). I ended up with a save that was a loop of Kyle Katarn screaming falling to his death on an autoload loop. Decided it was time to go to bed.

I can't count how many games I've 'lost' saves because of being too quick to press quickload and ending up pressing quicksave.

Or save states in emulators for that matter.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I always remap my quick save to F6 and quick load to F9 (no idea which game started that, it doesn't seem to make sense but it has been in my muscle memory forever :shrug:) so it's hard to accidentally gently caress up. It does make it super annoying if games don't let me remap and ship with a silly default like F5 for quick save and F6 for quick load :haw:

Although I remember in System Shock 2 I had quick load on something that also made my character move a step forward, which was hilarious in a few situations where that made me step off platforms.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are games that suffer from poor scaling? Either hand-placed or dynamic.

Oblivion of course had the world level up with you, however your stat growth could vary while enemies always got perfect level-ups.

Skyrim was better but if you leveled up a great deal outside of combat you would find common enemies would outmatch in a fight.

The world leveled with you in FF8 but that game is so easy to break that it's not a problem.

I don't know why Borderlands 2 had to fudge the numbers in New Game+. Now gear types and entire builds become useless because the algorithm changed.

Wittcher 3 didn't find a happy balance. All your XP is found of the main path which leads to you quickly outleveling all the open world fluff. You rapidly gain 10 levels in the last act when it took 90 hours previous to hit 20.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Mar 27, 2020

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Armor in warframe scales stupidly and mostly makes one gameplay system a single thing you always have slotted. basically as i understand the way it works is it reduces a percentage of damage based on the calc of armor/(armor+300) So at 3000 armor they take 10% of the damage you deal and enemy armor can get way higher than that. A aura you can slot takes away a percentage of that armor value, and since the damage reduction scales exponentially, taking away more and more armor makes the damage they take increase exponentially. So enemies that might be tough solo go down real fast if everyone slots that one aura so everyone does since the game is all about farming a lot and it makes it go faster.

Frankly its probably only still like that because they don't really have any good ideas to solve it now, but its been festering for years and it took them until recently to even try making a change to fix it, and it barely did anything. Apologies if its a bit wordy but like everything in warframe its a bit needlessly complex.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zoig posted:

Armor in warframe scales stupidly and mostly makes one gameplay system a single thing you always have slotted. basically as i understand the way it works is it reduces a percentage of damage based on the calc of armor/(armor+300) So at 3000 armor they take 10% of the damage you deal and enemy armor can get way higher than that. A aura you can slot takes away a percentage of that armor value, and since the damage reduction scales exponentially, taking away more and more armor makes the damage they take increase exponentially. So enemies that might be tough solo go down real fast if everyone slots that one aura so everyone does since the game is all about farming a lot and it makes it go faster.

Frankly its probably only still like that because they don't really have any good ideas to solve it now, but its been festering for years and it took them until recently to even try making a change to fix it, and it barely did anything. Apologies if its a bit wordy but like everything in warframe its a bit needlessly complex.

The weird thing is that Corrosive Projection is extremely powerful and becomes incredibly poweful when stacked, but basically nobody outside GOON uses it.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I missed fighting game tutorial chat a few pages back, but I deffo feel this with Mortal Kombat X.
I've tried playing online a few times, and even with matchmaking, I get absolutely flattened because as soon as the other person lands a hit, I get combo-juggled to death. Move lists have detailed info with frame counts, and priority numbers, and all kinds of other stuff, but I have no idea what to do with this information. It would be great if the tutorials had several different options to play as you progressed.
- Here's the basics of MK, and special moves
- Here's how to do combos and breakers
- Here's how to string combos together
- Ok kids, open up a spreadsheet, here's how to calculate precise moves and counter-moves in order to be seriously competitive

Anyway, something dragging down The Witcher 3 for me is the menus. Goddamn, I just want to see what I picked up without taking 5 minutes and 3 different menus to do it.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Tekken was the same way for me. I hated wiffing a jab only to have someone carry me halfway across the map while taking 75% of my hp off because they didn’t drop their combo and there is zero counterplay to it other than ‘don’t get combo’d in the first place’. It may be a valid gameplay style but most definitely not one I enjoy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Metal Gear Rising wasn't great about tutorials either. So many people who never heard Sundowner's music...

Mainly the dodge and how you can aim while in blade mode.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Zombie Guy posted:

I missed fighting game tutorial chat a few pages back, but I deffo feel this with Mortal Kombat X.
I've tried playing online a few times, and even with matchmaking, I get absolutely flattened because as soon as the other person lands a hit, I get combo-juggled to death. Move lists have detailed info with frame counts, and priority numbers, and all kinds of other stuff, but I have no idea what to do with this information. It would be great if the tutorials had several different options to play as you progressed.
- Here's the basics of MK, and special moves
- Here's how to do combos and breakers
- Here's how to string combos together
- Ok kids, open up a spreadsheet, here's how to calculate precise moves and counter-moves in order to be seriously competitive

Anyway, something dragging down The Witcher 3 for me is the menus. Goddamn, I just want to see what I picked up without taking 5 minutes and 3 different menus to do it.

MKX is also five years old at this point so the only people still playing are going to wipe the floor with you, even if they're total scrubs in the grand scheme of things. Fighting games strongly favor early adopters because unless you're already familiar with FG concepts and know all the particular quirks of that specific developer, you're going to have a hard time getting into the game late.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Apparently the nexus mods site has gotten worse, again. I was using it fine literally just last month. But it wouldn't let me log in and blocked my account when I kept trying to log in, because it turns out they want everyone to have a massive 12+ character long password now but didn't actually say that at any point, they just kept telling me my totally legit password was somehow wrong.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Walton Simons posted:

I think I remember that if you die 3-4 times really quickly after respawning from a checkpoint, the game will automatically choose the checkpoint before that one. I thought it was both pretty clever but also should have been obvious. Maybe it wasn't in Halo 1 though..

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of checkpoints, the new Control DLC does a great job of reminding how bad the game's checkpointing is. There's a setpiece mission in the game that is kind of funny the first time you start it, not so much subsequent times when you have to start all over from the beginning.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I love Control, but I feel like for all of the cool influences it took from other media, it took a bunch of bad ideas from other games.

The "bonfire" system from Dark Souls is completely aggravating here, same with losing some of your currency when you die. Doesn't feel organic, doesn't make the fights more exciting, and is a complete buzzkill in tough missions. I feel like more than anything, the game wants you to be here for the weird poo poo and the world building, and punishing you for dying doesn't really contribute to that.

As I'm playing through the DLC, my inventory is constantly getting full of worthless mods. Most are completely pointless. I don't even understand why this game has tiered loot. Frankly, as soon as my skill tree gets filled out, every countermeasure and pickup should only award absolute or whatever mods, don't even give me the tier below. And, if they want to weigh me down with this crap, they could give me more than 24 inventory slots. Additional slots for each form and personal to equip another mod would be nice too.

I've complained in 5 different threads about how quickly Jesse dies so I won't do that again, but it loving sucks.

The old map was garbage, but the new map is still tough to read when there's overlapping areas. It's a joke with anything vertical. Give me something like Metroid Prime.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I love Control, but I feel like for all of the cool influences it took from other media, it took a bunch of bad ideas from other games.

The "bonfire" system from Dark Souls is completely aggravating here, same with losing some of your currency when you die. Doesn't feel organic, doesn't make the fights more exciting, and is a complete buzzkill in tough missions. I feel like more than anything, the game wants you to be here for the weird poo poo and the world building, and punishing you for dying doesn't really contribute to that.

It is bizarre that basic save point systems are being attributed to Dark Souls.

Anyway, yeah the mods system is pretty banal, if there was at least a way to auto-remove all mods below a particular level, sure, but yeah finding a chest isn't exciting when the reward is yet another mod.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Horizon and Control have the exact same 'lootbox' system with random mods that seem like it belongs more into a GaaS with microtransactions than single player games

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don't really play Overwatch unless there's an event and my FOMO for some limited-time skin draws me back to get it.

Right now they're running the Archives "holiday" with a bunch of PvE scenarios. There are two achievements, with two attached cosmetics, that require you to beat a scenario on a high difficulty without anyone on your team dying, which is hard enough before you get to the huge bullet sponge minibosses that can melt your health with hitscan (or close to it) miniguns. One of them requires you to go against them without a tank of your own.

So the siren's song of cheevos is bringing this game down.

Also, Doom Eternal multiplayer achievements, eww.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Mar 27, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dr Christmas posted:

Also, Doom Eternal multiplayer achievements, eww.

Also no achievement for beating it on Nightmare, just a generic one for beating it on any difficulty. I need a shiny token so people know I'm good at games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

CordlessPen posted:

I think I remember that if you die 3-4 times really quickly after respawning from a checkpoint, the game will automatically choose the checkpoint before that one. I thought it was both pretty clever but also should have been obvious. Maybe it wasn't in Halo 1 though..

Reach definitely had that. I think I remember it happening in the remastered 1, but it's not a situation that happened often enough for me to really be sure of.