Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Futaba is still very much good all around, but you can generally do equal or better for less. I have a few Savox servos in my cars, they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Would these directly fit onto a Arrma Senton 3s blx? I've been reading up and it seems only a few types of shocks would fit without having to do modifications.

The shocks look pretty normal. Just make sure you pick up the right length.

McTinkerson posted:

After buying a Tamiya Lunchbox as a dog toy tow vehicle last year, I'm back into the RC hobby after giving up carpet racing a HPI Pro 3 back in 2003.

I love building them about as much as driving them, so I picked up a Tamiya TT02 Porsche RSR kit. The plan is to build a Safari/Rally version (full lights, roof basket, etc.)

Pretty sure I have an idea where to get everything but what is the go to for servos and batteries? Before I just default to my outdated goto of Futaba.
Batteries? If you're not racing, buy something cheap. I typically buy Turnigy TG1250 or D99X servos. While you're at it, rally tires are cheap. Look up "rally tires" on ebay, they're about $10 a set.

Since you're building a tamiya kit. I generally replace the self tapping screws with machine screws. But you should make that choice BEFORE building the car. If not, at least put a touch of grease on each screw as you put them in, this reduces the torque needed, and stops you from stripping out the tub, because you can feel when the screw bottoms out.

"bang for the buck" upgrades.... well you're getting a good servo. Shocks come next. If you want to go much further than that, ditch the TT02.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Futaba is still very much good all around, but you can generally do equal or better for less. I have a few Savox servos in my cars, they're great.

Futabas lineup is confusing, and expensive to me. Savox is a great choice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah I don't know about their very fast stuff but I have a 1210 and a 1212 and they're good.

For batteries gensace makes a bashing series that's been great for our 2 crawlers.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Seconding Gens Ace for a domestic provider. But I’ve had good luck with Turnigy as well. Savox makes decent servos, but lately I’ve been trying to give my business to ProModeler. I picked up one of their 470oz in servos a long time ago and have been filling out my fleet with their offerings since. (Well, except when I want a 12V servo).

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Here’s the latest build, btw https://imgur.com/a/3hudvgB

I built one of those Orlandoo 32nd scale rock crawlers. Remarkably detailed kit. Difficult to assemble just because of the small parts. But very rewarding when finished.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Nerobro posted:

So... Here we go. I built the 3Racing Advance S a few days ago.

(Shocks mentioned as leaking)

Did the threaded part of the shock shaft need to go through the seal, rather than assembling the seal over the piston end before putting the piston and clips on?

The only car I've had that suggested that ordering also had shocks that leaked, but it's usually possible to re-jig the assembly order.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've not assembled a single shock that didn't have the shaft thread go through the shock seal.... And I've torn a seal or two in my days, but not many. These just felt sloppy.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Just put a little shock oil on the threads before pushing them through the seal.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

kuffs posted:

Just put a little shock oil on the threads before pushing them through the seal.

I use a goodly gob of SF3. I also wiggle and such to get them through, never just "push".

I think the shocks are just poo poo.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Welp! I have noticed that some shocks just have soft shafts. I love a lot of the gmade shocks because of the looks. But the shafts are cheap and don’t even hold up against the most basic of uses. I have a set that I built out of some NOS titanium nitride shafts and they seem to be totally awesome.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is the ring side drive shaft on an AR44 axle supposed to be captive? I can't seem to pull it out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What would be a good coronavirus quarantine present for myself to drive around in the desert behind my house. My head says 1/10th scale rock crawler but my heart says 1/5th scale monster truck

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Something like the Losi Rock Rey would be fun with that. Super Rock Rey would do even better with what looks like some pretty stiff, angry brush.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

bird with big dick posted:

What would be a good coronavirus quarantine present for myself to drive around in the desert behind my house. My head says 1/10th scale rock crawler but my heart says 1/5th scale monster truck

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Today I drove 1/5 cars with other friends that have 1/5 cars for a few hours. One friend was nice enough to take some H U G E photos of my rig in action. He also caught one of the other guys.

Both are VEKTAs. Mine is the one with the red bead lock rings. The other one has a 65cc engine and it is insanely powerful.

Do the needful.

I really love my 1/10 Baja Rey though. It handles the rough stuff quite good and it is fast enough for fun but not so fast it is uncontrollable and constantly breaking.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are all the RC car batteries getting put into Teslas I keep looking at cars and then I scroll down to the "You also need this poo poo" items and I click on those and the batteries are always out of stock.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hypnolobster posted:

Something like the Losi Rock Rey would be fun with that. Super Rock Rey would do even better with what looks like some pretty stiff, angry brush.

Yeah that's kinda the question to me, like, too small and it won't handle the real stiff grass poo poo that's everywhere (or will be after Spring) but too big and it won't be able to get in between the real big & stiff bush poo poo? But go real big and real powerful and you can kinda just rip through at least the edges of the bushier poo poo? Not sure, really.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Are all the RC car batteries getting put into Teslas I keep looking at cars and then I scroll down to the "You also need this poo poo" items and I click on those and the batteries are always out of stock.
Not but they *are* made in china

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
got a traxxas stampede 2wd to tool around with during quarantine. it's a blast but i can sorta see the shortcomings already--any advice for hoppin' it up?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Any advice for a good off road car for a new hobbyist? I want one to drive around in the small wooded trail my family takes walks on a few times a week.

I eventually want to race and such but that's not possible now, though I do want to get my feet wet so a kit isn't out of the question. Also are there any additional things I need to get as well?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Elblanco posted:

Any advice for a good off road car for a new hobbyist? I want one to drive around in the small wooded trail my family takes walks on a few times a week.

I eventually want to race and such but that's not possible now, though I do want to get my feet wet so a kit isn't out of the question. Also are there any additional things I need to get as well?

Im looking into this as well, hearing good things about the Axial Capra and SCX10s as well as some of the traxxis trail trucks. Anyone with more experience able to provide some thoughts on these?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The thing that is getting stupid is many manufacturers are putting on proprietary battery connectors for their batteries and speed controllers. Not really a big deal unless the OEMs don't let the aftermarket license their connectors or keep batteries in stock.

Yeah that's kinda the question to me, like, too small and it won't handle the real stiff grass poo poo that's everywhere (or will be after Spring) but too big and it won't be able to get in between the real big & stiff bush poo poo? But go real big and real powerful and you can kinda just rip through at least the edges of the bushier poo poo? Not sure, really.
I specifically uploaded this video to imgur to show you how great 1/5 are. My VEKTA was recorded in 4K so that one didn't take. Just imagine a 4WD 40+ pound truck with tires almost 9" tall. It frankly does not give a crap. Here is an HPI Baja absolutely getting after it IMGUR LINKED VIDEO

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

got a traxxas stampede 2wd to tool around with during quarantine. it's a blast but i can sorta see the shortcomings already--any advice for hoppin' it up?

The best thing you can do for that will be to get better tires. Tires will make a huge impact on how good it drives. Pro-Line has some great options, including remounted ones. Trenchers rule.

Elblanco posted:

If you are going on walks I am all about getting a 1.9 scale truck. Axial is my go-to because I like them more than Traxxas, but the Traxxas models are undeniably good. If you want extra fun get a kit you build. Axial just released this week the SCX10III in a builders kit and it is Very Good (youtube video) I mean seriously look how good this is (Axial promo YouTube video) It is ridiculous to look at but I apparently have six pages of posts in this thread but in the last few pages worth of my postings you can see some of the kits I have built. The crawlers are perfect with the kids.
I apparently didn't post these here just in my project LX 470 thread

linked imgur video

If you get into racing you will do it with a different car than you would end up driving on anything like a wooded trail.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You guys want to crawl or just banzai down a trail? There's options for both (and middle of the road)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I specifically uploaded this video to imgur to show you how great 1/5 are. My VEKTA was recorded in 4K so that one didn't take. Just imagine a 4WD 40+ pound truck with tires almost 9" tall. It frankly does not give a crap. Here is an HPI Baja absolutely getting after it IMGUR LINKED VIDEO

You seem to have the inside line on VEKTA. When are we gonna get more of those awesome scale ultra 4 tire + wheel combos?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

You guys want to crawl or just banzai down a trail? There's options for both (and middle of the road)

I'd aim for the middle road. I don't need anything too crazy for a first car but I'd like to do some cool stuff for my kids.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That new SCX10.3 kit looks great TBH, and with a brushless setup you can skip the gearbox.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

That new SCX10.3 kit looks great TBH, and with a brushless setup you can skip the gearbox.

oh man, that's a bit pricey for me, I should have specified that I'd like to keep it under 200. Though I will keep that in mind for when I'm ready to drop that kind of money!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Any idea when this will be available? All the websites are sold out or on preorder, with the virus situation will the supply be backed up for the foreseeable future?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I need to get pictures...

I built a M05 into a M05ra for my kids. $200 call all told, that can just be abused. I love "cars to hurt". :-)

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
There are so many people selling their rc stuff at the moment, thanks Corona! Except crawlers, these seem to stay in use.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spatule posted:

There are so many people selling their rc stuff at the moment, thanks Corona! Except crawlers, these seem to stay in use.

Seems the majority of dumbasses at my local track want to keep racing despite the state shelter in place warning.

Must be depending on their vapes to filter out the virus.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Is 1:28 stuff fun? Apparently there is a whole open source 1:28 3d printed world that I've fallen into and I need a new 3d printer project during this stupid time period.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mattfl posted:

Is 1:28 stuff fun? Apparently there is a whole open source 1:28 3d printed world that I've fallen into and I need a new 3d printer project during this stupid time period.
Small stuff (and in particular small crawlers) are great because you never need a track/trail. 2 couch pillows are enough.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of which, is there anything better out than an scx24? Something with a discrete receiver would be great (we’re a frsky/TBS household).

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I bought a used Slash 4x4 brushless, and even with a fan on the Velineon ESC it still overheats and goes into low power mode or safety cut-off. I even cut out windows in the body to help with airflow as well, but we still get too hot.

I was researching upgrades for the ESC and motor and I see mention of Castle Creations combos, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. I think that must have been a really popular upgrade a few years ago.

What would you guys recommend in terms of an upgrade for the Slash 4x4 running 3S? Thanks!

Looking at something like this, perhaps?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Cre...PsAAOSweS5eK2tg

Or perhaps this one?: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Cre...~gAAOSwZcxdrXAi

Jebediah fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2020

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
RC parts - specifically electronics - are made in China. Chinese New Year was a thing and then COV-SARS-2 put a pause on everything. I suspect it’s gonna be a while before toy parts are gonna be readily available again.

Are you sure there’s not something wrong with the drivetrain? Pull the motor or at least slide the pinion off and see if everything spins smoothly and freely.

Does the slash have fixed position gear mesh for the pinion / spur? Might want to make sure the PO didn’t somehow make it too tight.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I have so far rebuilt the front and rear diffs with new gears and oil/grease, rebuilt the slipper clutch with upgraded parts to handle the 3S, checked the pinion and spur for binding and there isn't any. Replaced all drivetrain bearings, too. I can even roll the truck on the ground nice and smooth. It's more of an issue with the original Velineon system and running 3S through it I think. It was more designed for 2S which I have 2 batteries that are 2S and they don't cause it to overheat.

I found a pretty good post though on upgrading to a Mamba X system so I am going to give that a shot. There are a few on Ebay I can try. Wish me luck!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Ah, the 2S -> 3S thing makes sense. I have very little knowledge about stock Traxxas electronics.

Everything Castle makes is pretty great and they’re very clear about the performance specs. My house is almost all Castle or Castle-derivatives (Holmes Hobbies).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Running 3S in my short course truck was a gently caress load of fun, but it did suffer from overheating (fixed with zip tying a fan near the motor) and just being completely bonkers

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I picked up a cheap-ish crawler for my sons in early March for their birthdays, a ECX Barrage 1/12. It's super fun in the yard and because it's not large, a few landscaping rocks and sticks make for some fun tracks.

Since we've been on lock-down, I purchased a Traxxas Latrax rally 1/18 road car to drift around our concrete basement when we can't go outside. It's on the fulcrum of "a tad too $ for what it is" and "totally fun". I also went super quarantine mode, and purchased hop-up parts for it already... to spend my dark lonely WFH days in the basement tinkering with rc toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Not exactly R/C, but in much of the same spirit of people who run rock crawlers: https://store.steampowered.com/app/824720/Pure_Rock_Crawling/

I haven't played it or anything, but it popped up in my store recommendations today.