Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

KillHour posted:

Alternatively, here's a cheap soundbar:

https://www.amazon.es/LG-SJ2-Channels-Inal%C3%A1mbrico-al%C3%A1mbrico/dp/B0719J5BDB

They're all pretty much interchangeable at that price point.

Edit: I'm curious. How exactly were you hooking those speakers up to that headphone amp?

i got these rca plug converters where I hook the stereo wires on and i just stick them in the corresponding rca out the amp got on the back

at first thought it wasn't working but then i hear just the faintest audio coming from the speakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why would someone sell that? Those aren't meant to connect :psyduck:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

KillHour posted:

Why would someone sell that? Those aren't meant to connect :psyduck:

Sure they are. I've seen a heap of 70's gear that uses rca interconnects for speaker level stuff.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fuckin' audio equipment :psypop:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RCA-to-electric_plug.jpg

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Back when amps were low powered, and speakers were high efficiency, it wasn't such a big deal to put a few watts through an rca cable, and it solved the problem of speaker phasing. I wonder how many people blew up receivers or source gear with it though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I had a lovely compact system in the 90s that used rca to speaker wire connects for surround speakers. It was an aiwa or yorx or one of those.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A Lone Girl Flier posted:

Sure they are. I've seen a heap of 70's gear that uses rca interconnects for speaker level stuff.

My Realistic SA-150 does.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Loads of those home theatre in a box setups used RCA for the speakers, some PC speakers did too. We had someone in this thread asking if they could use the speakers with a proper amp.

JeffT417
Oct 15, 2012
I'm trying to hook up a turntable and a chromecast audio on the same input line to a small receiver to feed some passive speakers. I have had success with this method previously when using an analog connection from a tablet combined with the analog chromecast audio.

I have removed the tablet input and replaced it with a turntable/preamp combo. When everything is hooked up and powered, the turntable output sounds tinny and hollow. The chromecast sounds like it is underwater.

When unhooking the inputs for either one they sound good and normal so it must be a combination of two powered analog inputs.

Any ideas how to get this working without an active switch? We loved the old setup because it was always ready to go with no input switching.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need a mixer to combine the two signals.

JeffT417
Oct 15, 2012

KillHour posted:

You need a mixer to combine the two signals.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-2-Channel-Audio-Mixer-Professional/dp/B003CY6OHY
Thanks! Makes sense. Something like that could work?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd say the one mentioned in the last page or two would be more beneficial, that one is designed more around recording instruments. The other one is cheaper too, huzzah! (how often does that happen?!)

https://www.amazon.com/FIFINE-Low-N...SNZ0TKC3G3500EC

You'll just need to get RCA to stereo TRS cables as each channel can be used as a stereo pair, and you should be golden.

JeffT417
Oct 15, 2012
Awesome. Thanks all for the help. With a mixer I could remove the preamp from the chain, correct?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

JeffT417 posted:

Awesome. Thanks all for the help. With a mixer I could remove the preamp from the chain, correct?

Most turntables need a phono preamp for RIAA de-emphasis, otherwise you’re records will sound very thin. Cheap mixers don’t generally have that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

If you’re ok with listening to one thing at a time, an input switcher will be cheaper than a mixer.

Quick search. This would work fine for $10. Just ignore the yellow. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXVBB3Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2PJFEbYHZ6FAP

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
update, got an amp and hooked up the speakers to it, it's working, wooo

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What did you end up with? Does it sound good? Is it loud?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

taqueso posted:

...making my own 10 channel digital amplifier...
Anyone have opinions on the best interconnect for the amplifier outputs? I like the PLH5 but I have a feeling audiophiles hate it for some reason they can't explain.

These options would work without an enclosure:

Big lug wire terminals like this from lugsdirect

Industrial style lever-actuated spring cage like this Phoenix Contact PLH5

perhaps PCB mount binding posts but I haven't seen any in right angle

These options would require a panel to mount the jacks to:

SpeakON loudspeaker specific connectors (surprisingly inexpensive) and I'd build a connector for each pair of wires

or Binding Posts, but what are good ones?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speakon. Always Speakon. It makes life so much easier in the end... Insert, twist and *click* it's nice and safe. If you're considering it, might as well do it properly.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't this for a car amplifier? Isn't 10 speakon connectors gonna be kinda bulky? I'd just do the screw lug terminals—that seems to be what most of car amplifiers use and I've never had an issue with them (though this is just experience with personal cars so not a huge sample size.)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are there any alternatives to Peace/Equalizer APO for system-wide EQ in Windows 10? I've been using Peace for a few months and it was fine, but it stopped working after a recent Windows update. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled both Peace and EQAPO but it doesn't work at all. Any suggestions are appreciated.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

powderific posted:

Wasn't this for a car amplifier? Isn't 10 speakon connectors gonna be kinda bulky? I'd just do the screw lug terminals—that seems to be what most of car amplifiers use and I've never had an issue with them (though this is just experience with personal cars so not a huge sample size.)

Why not both? screw lug terminals to a speakon distribution panel would look loving awesome.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Are there any alternatives to Peace/Equalizer APO for system-wide EQ in Windows 10? I've been using Peace for a few months and it was fine, but it stopped working after a recent Windows update. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled both Peace and EQAPO but it doesn't work at all. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I used J River Media Centre for a while, but found the processing delay was a bit too long for anything other than listening to music or watching videos. That might have improved in the years since I've used it though.

taqueso posted:

Anyone have opinions on the best interconnect for the amplifier outputs?

I like these:

But also consider the classic spade terminals:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So I have a question and I tried to search but it's too common or something I think.

I have an old McIntosh system with Pre-amp, equalizer (Environmental Equalizer?), AMP and speakers. The Pre-amp seems to have an issue with the left channel. We plan to get it fixed, but we'd like to continue to use the other equipment while we wait. The problem is that I'm leery of hooking just anything up directly to the AMP. it's pretty high-powered and I can see accidentally leaving the volume too high on a phone or something, hooking it up via headphone jack to RCA cable, and going deaf.
Something with Bluetooth be nice as well, although I guess that could be handled via an Alexa or something.

I guess I'm just looking for a Pre-amp/Source selector that'll provide better visual feedback/buffer between the inputs/outputs? Does that make sense? Like, with the original pre-amp, we all know not to turn the volume above 6/10 unless we want to wake the dead... but with a phone, it might need to be high in order to play music through the car's bluetooth. So I can see a mistake happening.

I tried poking around amazon and can't find anything that foots the bill. I don't want tubes unless that happens to be the only product that satisfies my weird use case.

Any ideas?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Does the amp have a gain control you can set to a comfortable volume when your phone is at max? They're usually on the back.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 6, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want more of a full featured preamp something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OVVFf...DCABEgIgs_D_BwE

Or if you’re just worried about the volume a passive attenuator could be fine: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Nano-Patch-Passive-Attenuator/dp/B000T9K8ZO

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have two decent lavalier microphones I use for Toastmasters and Discord, but they will pick up my wife talking at her own computer when we try to play online with others; her voice is picked up on my microphone and gets fed back to her in enough of a delay to wreck her head. Is there anything I can do with how I wire them up that would reduce her conversations from my microphone? Simply reducing the gain to a point that it doesn't pick her up enough ends up making me too quiet too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have two decent lavalier microphones I use for Toastmasters and Discord, but they will pick up my wife talking at her own computer when we try to play online with others; her voice is picked up on my microphone and gets fed back to her in enough of a delay to wreck her head. Is there anything I can do with how I wire them up that would reduce her conversations from my microphone? Simply reducing the gain to a point that it doesn't pick her up enough ends up making me too quiet too.

Guessing you have ‘omni’ mics not cardioid?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s no wiring thing that’s gonna change that. Get it closer to your mouth so you can turn the gain down is probably the only easy option. And make sure there’s no auto levels thing turning up the gain when you aren’t talking. Otherwise you’re probably looking at buying something or moving computers around a bit. If it’s not as much of an issue while you’re talking too, maybe there’s some kind of noise gate you could use, software or hardware.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Try Voicemeeter Banana. It'll let you set a noise gate on the inputs which will help somewhat. Gets my mouse clicks and movement sounds under control, but if I'm smashing away on my keyboard it's likely that it will get picked up anyway, but it still helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBGSONKbC0E

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah they're omnidirectional. I should have worried more about that. I'll try rigging something to ram them near my face first.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

LRADIKAL posted:

What did you end up with? Does it sound good? Is it loud?

got a cheap Lepy LP-2024A for 26euros, it gets less crispy on high volumes, kinda scrambly but it's more than enough for my regular use; hooked that up to the DAC I owned already and done donito, way better sound than from the reg tv speakers

eventually I'm getting new speakers though, cause I got these from my mom's stereo lol

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I was wondering what people would recommend for powering two bookshelf speakers from a PC.

Also what is a affordable DAC to connect to some old McIntosh receiver so I can play music from my phone/computer on?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

powderific posted:

If you want more of a full featured preamp something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OVVFf...DCABEgIgs_D_BwE

Or if you’re just worried about the volume a passive attenuator could be fine: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Nano-Patch-Passive-Attenuator/dp/B000T9K8ZO

You can go a lot cheaper on the passive volume without issue honestly. I use a cheapo fostex one with my monitors, it was maybe $35.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I didn't make any effort to find the best priced things so google around. That's just the volume attenuator I used and it worked well.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fallorn posted:

I was wondering what people would recommend for powering two bookshelf speakers from a PC.

Also what is a affordable DAC to connect to some old McIntosh receiver so I can play music from my phone/computer on?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post503540318
I also like Dayton audio stuff.

Why do you need a DAC to connect your phone? headphone to RCA adapter should be all you need, right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Also what more do you need to drive the bookshelf speakers if you've got that receiver?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Bookshelf speakers are in a different room on the other side of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Fallorn posted:

Bookshelf speakers are in a different room on the other side of the house.

Do you mean you'd like to send music from your pc or phone to a device connected to your speakers in another part of the house?

If so, I've had good luck with Chromecast Audios. Failing that, raspberry pis with one of the media player distros work well too.