Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXBx_M5-yw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Looks like the government here is covering up the number of cases/rate of infection.

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There's a pretty big lack of test kits, labs to test with (some counties have to exclusive contracts and they aren't being let off the hook even though the lab has a backlog of weeks).

Hospitals also don't want to waste the one time use protective gear to test since they are running low on it and it could save lives.

It might not be as big a cover up as you are thinking.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
the thing i can't get my head around is this mad dash for N95 masks or just medical masks in general. It keeps appearing in the headlines here in the US, and I'm seeing more and more ppl wearing them in public.

since this virus is not airborne, it stands to reason that a mask isn't going to do poo poo. my physician co-worker agrees with this sentiment. pls correct me on this if u understand the mask quest better than i do

:shrug:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Areola Grande

we are truly living in a sea of madness

Escape From Noise

pixaal posted:

There's a pretty big lack of test kits, labs to test with (some counties have to exclusive contracts and they aren't being let off the hook even though the lab has a backlog of weeks).

Hospitals also don't want to waste the one time use protective gear to test since they are running low on it and it could save lives.

It might not be as big a cover up as you are thinking.

The thing is that Japan is actually prepared for fairly large scale testing but are severely limiting testing because they claim that it would cause hospitals to be mobbed and increase a risk of the spread. I don't know. I know it's not good but I'm somehow not very anxious. Not sure why.

pixaal

prepuce repurposed posted:

the thing i can't get my head around is this mad dash for N95 masks or just medical masks in general. It keeps appearing in the headlines here in the US, and I'm seeing more and more ppl wearing them in public.

since this virus is not airborne, it stands to reason that a mask isn't going to do poo poo. my physician co-worker agrees with this sentiment. pls correct me on this if u understand the mask quest better than i do

It does help, but it's mostly if you are in close contact. It is about aerosols. I'm not a medical professional but from what I understand a typical human is not leaving water droplets suspended in air for long periods of time.

certain medical procedures can produce them and the virus can survive in them for 3 days (you aren't going to get the aerosol lasting that long in air outside a lab)

People want it to feel safe. If you have good equipment and don't have an underlying condition I beg you donate it to your hospital it will save at least one life.

They should have locally made cloth mask that they can swap out that are likely close to as effective for going to the grocery store use. They aren't too hard to make either.

xcheopis

prepuce repurposed posted:

It is definitely spread by droplet infection.

N95 masks actually filter air, which means that while you have it on, properly sealed, you are not getting the same amount of oxygen with each breath than if you were breathing freely. They aren't meant to be worn all day.
Surgical/Procedure masks are a better option for the general public, because they will help keep you from infecting others and don't slow your oxygen intake. They are also not meant to be worn all day but the consequences (limiting oxygen) are not as bad.
Neither is a magic "I am invincible!" prophylactic against infection and too many people don't use either properly, making them useless.

alnilam

The current fear driving the N95 craze is that the disease might in fact be airborne. It's new enough that we don't know for sure yet but it's enough of a risk that they are putting covid patients in negative pressure rooms like they would with a TB patient. Health workers are desperate for masks and bunny suits and such because in hospitals around the world that have run out of this equipment, doctors and nurses began contracting the disease at very high rates, so there's a lot of indication that they are effective (when properly used).

The suspicion of airborne transmission is also the reason for the 6 foot distance rule.

That being said, health workers are at might higher risk of exposure than you are while going to the grocery store and know how to use them more properly so yeah if you have clean N95 masks, please consider donating them to a hospital.

e: beaten

ty manifisto

Goons Are Gifts

Our government has issued a statement regarding masks that say yes, they do help (if used correctly and if it's the right kind of mask, plus general hygiene and distance is kept up) but it is not a major player in preventing infection, but general distance is. Plus we are explicitly advised not to buy professional medical masks as supply is limited and if there is a run on them to arm every private citizen with one, medical professionals who really need them will run dry, as supply is a major bottleneck here.

Might be different in the US and some people here are of a very different opinion, but in general I'd recommend to follow your government's words on this, assuming they have experts on it and know their poo poo (yes, I see the irony for the US, but you get what I mean).

alnilam

xcheopis posted:

Surgical/Procedure masks are a better option for the general public, because they will help keep you from infecting others and don't slow your oxygen intake. They are also not meant to be worn all day but the consequences (limiting oxygen) are not as bad.

Yeah surgical masks or even a doubled up bandana can do a lot to prevent your particles from infecting others, if you have it and don't know it. They keep stuff from getting out, it's the main reason they use them in surgery. They also ahve the benefit of stopping you from touching your face.

ty manifisto

Areola Grande

thx for clearing that up byob :randpop:

Goons Are Gifts

Well, look at that. Things are kinda taking a few baby steps towards clearing up here in Germany. The minister of health is talking about evaluating the current situation in two weeks from now and maybe lift some of the restrictions, as new infection rates have begin to stagnate and those freshly recorded (the numbers went up considerably over the past few days) were mainly due to infections from more than a week ago and due to the fact that Germany is now testing more than any other country by now, except China, so the assumed number of undetected infections is rushing down.

Also, the German version of the CDC, called RKI, is preparing a huge rear end study to evaluate the number of immune citizens en mass after being infected and cured by the virus without noticing it, with the theoretical idea that those proven immune (after testing a majority of the population, we are swimming in test kits it seems) allowed to go back to work.
It's exactly what we talked about itt before and obviously there are notable problems with it, but the sheer fact to not have bad news for once gives hope that there is a time after all of this and I'm enjoying this.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
" And when the curve of contagion goes down
and governments announce that 'we have done it'
please please
do not return to immortality
don't put on the invincible suit again
of unbreakable
of insufferable
do not forget what you have felt
please please
be vulnerable forever
Keep singing on the balconies
Keep applauding the cleaning ladies
to the cashiers, to your mothers
do not forget that you are only human
that you are fragile
that you are finite
and take care of life, the planet
and to all the beings of the world
until the day of your death
as if you learned something ".

Text: Juls Heme Here.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

alnilam

my email inbox is full of emails from every business, organization, and retailer i've ever interacted with, and many i haven't. They all want me to know "how we're responding to the coronavirus crisis"

ty manifisto

alnilam

Here at Trains n Planes Hobby Shop, we have always believed in quality model-building, miniature train, and RC airplane supplies at affordable prices. That's more important than ever in this time of uncertainty and health crisis. That's why we're

ty manifisto

pixaal

alnilam posted:

my email inbox is full of emails from every business, organization, and retailer i've ever interacted with, and many i haven't. They all want me to know "how we're responding to the coronavirus crisis"

Yeah I find that kind of hosed up. I just want companies to pretend like nothing is happen. No response is better than a lovely response. Unless your hours are changing or your service is changing and it's to protect your workers stop reaching out. "Stuck at home? Buy pounds and pounds of beef jerky! We actually ramped up production because we expect an increase in demand! We aren't going to let this stop us!" Okay I saw your initial pitch went I guess I could use some jerky then you say you are putting your workers at risk by over working them and adding new people? Yeah gently caress you.

The majority of them are "we're still here and actually doing better business than usual so wont be sending anyone home"

sig by owlhawk911

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know a nurse at a hospital. She had a patient come in yesterday who probably has the 'rona. He came in for a rash, found out he has high blood pressure, and because he had a dry cough they did an x-ray on his lungs and they look like garbage.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I called out of work.

gently caress it.

google THIS

"This won't stop us" is a weird catchphrase, like I get the spirit of it but for the time being there are definitely some significant areas in which, it should, in fact, stop you.

google THIS

"Moth larvae in the parachutes? This won't stop us!" I tweet defiantly moments before I jump out of the plane. In the days to come I will set a world record for posthumous likes.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

google THIS posted:

"Moth larvae in the parachutes? This won't stop us!" I tweet defiantly moments before I jump out of the plane. In the days to come I will set a world record for posthumous likes.

Lame X-men- Thisman. Because he won't stop us, you see.

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

google THIS posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

xcheopis

Really tired. Been on my feet most of the day and my sciatica is being assholish about it. But I helped distribute supplies and did much needed paperwork for my coworkers and got to duck out 45 minutes early.
Now to brave the locust swarm of grocery shopping!

cda

by Hand Knit
Sciatica sucks.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

cda posted:

Sciatica sucks.

Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UoITjubrgE

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

xcheopis

cda posted:

Sciatica sucks.

It sucks balls and not in the good way that has made me so popular with the boys.

I can't do most yoga right now. :argh:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

alnilam posted:

I, for one, simply desperate to know what the CEO of Best Buy has to say about the coronavirus pandemic.

Reene

:justpost:

alnilam posted:

the best one of these ive gotten so far was from my weed dealer

google THIS

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I, for one, simply desperate to know what the CEO of Best Buy has to say about the coronavirus pandemic.

"We will get through this. Our brick and mortar stores are no less busy than normal, in fact we're doubling our staff so we can hassle anyone who does walk in about service plans and applying for store credit cards even more efficiently!"

google THIS

A Starbucks with a completely empty parking lot is truly a chilling sight, like the Statue of Liberty being toppled over.

Escape From Noise

google THIS posted:

A Starbucks with a completely empty parking lot is truly a chilling sight, like the Statue of Liberty being toppled over.

*John Carpenter keyboard music plays*

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I ran away to the hinterlands for a few days and found a very well stocked grocery store and a lot of very green leaves and it helped my brain a lot.

The trees and the flower were pretty and the bees and snakes and bugs have not learned about social distancing yet.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
No, no they haven't

I'm talking to you, bluebird on my doorstep talkin smack the last two days! :bahgawd:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
(Actually it's rad, the birds have been insane the last few days)

xcheopis

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I ran away to the hinterlands for a few days and found a very well stocked grocery store and a lot of very green leaves and it helped my brain a lot.

The trees and the flower were pretty and the bees and snakes and bugs have not learned about social distancing yet.

I had to have yet another conversation with Tanuki about social distancing because he keeps forgetting. (He isn't very smart)

Goons Are Gifts

There is a pair of lovely and I might add fluffie ducks visiting the patch of grass next to my house a lot lately and they observe me doing stuff a lot and that's really lovely and a bit scary but mainly cool.

The male one is already dressed up in nuptial plumage for his beloved wife. These two have been living here for at least two years but this time they decided to stay nearby and check out what I do over the day, perhaps because their usual spot for this kind of cinematic observation of humans is rather deserted currently.

Manifisto

xcheopis posted:

I had to have yet another conversation with Tanuki about social distancing because he keeps forgetting. (He isn't very smart)

aw

wsdd (would socially de-distance)

ty nesamdoom!

biosterous

Goons Are Great posted:

There is a pair of lovely and I might add fluffie ducks visiting the patch of grass next to my house a lot lately and they observe me doing stuff a lot and that's really lovely and a bit scary but mainly cool.

The male one is already dressed up in nuptial plumage for his beloved wife. These two have been living here for at least two years but this time they decided to stay nearby and check out what I do over the day, perhaps because their usual spot for this kind of cinematic observation of humans is rather deserted currently.

i like how this behaviour implies that birds like people watching as much as people like bird watching

it is a good and happy thought

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I personally enjoy watching both birds and people. Also squirrels and sometimes bugs, and especially tidal pools.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!