Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

... zoos are reprehensible institutions, the latter of which I already knew.

Nope, that's just asinine. Go research how actual accredited zoos in non-shithole places operate and their purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A lot of zoos in America are lovely, but in a lot of cases they're trying their best and just don't have the funding to do better

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah modern zoos are basically now stewards of animals that can't be released in the wild either due to injury, loss of parents and lack of developing survival skills, or born in captivity. They are also the only way many species don't go extinct.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ariza posted:

Nope, that's just asinine. Go research how actual accredited zoos in non-shithole places operate and their purpose.

Gonna have to disagree. Animals belong in their native habitat. Not kept for entertainment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Gonna have to disagree. Animals belong in their native habitat. Not kept for entertainment.

It feels like you think you are doing the right thing here but haven't done even surface level looking into the issue. A large amount of the animals in the zoo would die almost immediately in their natural habitat due to poachers/breeding/loss of habitat and prey.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Yeah modern zoos are basically now stewards of animals that can't be released in the wild either due to injury, loss of parents and lack of developing survival skills, or born in captivity. They are also the only way many species don't go extinct.

I was at that zoo in providence over the summer and a lot of the placards at exhibits said specifically why certain animals couldn’t be released, which was a good touch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

It feels like you think you are doing the right thing here but haven't done even surface level looking into the issue. A large amount of the animals in the zoo would die almost immediately in their natural habitat due to poachers/breeding/loss of habitat and prey.

The solution here is "when they die, don't replace them"

Unless these are all animals born and bred in captivity in which case releasing them is just setting them up to die slowly and or painfully.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

The solution here is "when they die, don't replace them"

Unless these are all animals born and bred in captivity in which case releasing them is just setting them up to die slowly and or painfully.

No accredited zoo takes in a wild animal that could survive on its own. All zoo animals are either born there, or cannot survive in the wild.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

swickles posted:

No accredited zoo takes in a wild animal that could survive on its own. All zoo animals are either born there, or cannot survive in the wild.

Probably a good reason to keep the zoos open then.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We can close down zoos the days we stop causing animals to go extinct. Zoos are vital in preserving natural species and educating people.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Croatoan posted:

This is an extremely simplistic and ignorant viewpoint. Zoos are for much more than entertainment, they work really hard to pursue education and conservation. Animals in good zoos aren't plucked from the wild willy nilly. They're rescued or bred in captivity. Many zoos have what's called a species survival program which is dedicated to breeding species and fostering genetic diversity across multiple zoos around the world with the hopes of keeping endangered species from going extinct. Many zoos are run by organizations like the WCS that have branches operating all over the world working with local people to protect animals and their environments in the wild.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Regy Rusty posted:

This is an extremely simplistic and ignorant viewpoint. Zoos are for much more than entertainment, they work really hard to pursue education and conservation. Animals in good zoos aren't plucked from the wild willy nilly. They're rescued or bred in captivity. Many zoos have what's called a species survival program which is dedicated to breeding species and fostering genetic diversity across multiple zoos around the world with the hopes of keeping endangered species from going extinct. Many zoos are run by organizations like the WCS that have branches operating all over the world working with local people to protect animals and their environments in the wild.

For the most part, at least in the US, zoos really are a completely different entity now than they were 40 years ago. I have some recollections of going to a zoo as a smallish child in the early 80's likely in Alabama. The only thing I really remember is a monkey pit with a moat filled with penguins, apparently it made sense in the 70's, but don't see things like that anymore.

These days zoos really do go out of their way to make the most natural environment they can without endangering the guests or the animals. Pictures of old zoos are really depressing with how little regard or knowledge we had to the animals.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Iron Crowned posted:

For the most part, at least in the US, zoos really are a completely different entity now than they were 40 years ago. I have some recollections of going to a zoo as a smallish child in the early 80's likely in Alabama. The only thing I really remember is a monkey pit with a moat filled with penguins, apparently it made sense in the 70's, but don't see things like that anymore.

These days zoos really do go out of their way to make the most natural environment they can without endangering the guests or the animals. Pictures of old zoos are really depressing with how little regard or knowledge we had to the animals.

That's where I was coming from. Early 80's Denver Zoo was a very sad place and I hated it. If they're good now maybe my old fart rear end can change his mind.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Still, gently caress places like SeaWorld though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rhyno posted:

I always recommend this show. You'll have the time of your life.

I've just started watching it for like the 5th time. It's wonderful

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Only complaint is that everyone in the show is too pretty like a CW show. It's supposed to be the post apocalypse but everyone's hair and clothes and makeup look pristine. Bruce Willis looked disgusting in the movie. I think it's made by the former Nikita producers so that makes sense.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
gently caress I always forget about Nikita. I think I only got about 80% through S1. How is it after the first season?

Also I've had a real itch to watch Continuum again

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

swickles posted:

A museum by my Mom has a mountain lion (...had a mountain lion? One of their rescues died recently and I can't recall which) that was illegally owned as a pet, defanged/declawed, and then just released when it got to be too big. It couldn't feed itself and was used to humans so it approached a hiker and scared the bajeesus out of him. Hiker called the rangers, one came out with some drugged meat and a pen, then the two of then got to carry a sleeping cat back out to where the ranger had been able to park. Great as a museum cat since it was used to people and could be provided for without getting stressed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess I can watch that French War of the Worlds series as Youtube TV has given out a free month of Epix.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon will be as well starting April 1st along with Showtime.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Humans are an invasive species who have taken over almost every natural habitat on the planet. Left to their own, nearly every species will soon go extinct. It's like people who are all "pandas are just bad, let them go extinct" like it's their fault we destroyed everywhere they could thrive naturally. Look, I don't like going to "animal jail" anymore than you do but the grim reality is that the choice between "prison where people at least try to let you and your family survive" and "total genocide," most folks will probably take the prison.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For some reason the HBO Now app on my Fire TV has completely busted and won't play anything. I have a Roku built in to my TV so I can watch it there but that's kind of weird. I don't use the Roku apps normally because they're kind of crap.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The HBO Go app went weird on my on Fire TV last night too. So it might be some kind of problem on their end. I couldn't get logged in and then couldn't get going on a browser, but eventually managed on like the 4th place I tried.

Everything Cinemax has also gone to poo poo for me and like I still get it on my cable but I can't record and I can't use Max Go anymore. I keep half thinking this is all part of HBO switching over to HBO Max but it seems like Cinemax just won't be part of that from what I read. So I don't know. I just been having problems with HBO and HBO adjacent stuff for awhile.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pahuyuth posted:

gently caress I always forget about Nikita. I think I only got about 80% through S1. How is it after the first season?

Also I've had a real itch to watch Continuum again

The first 2 seasons are fantastic. Season 3 was okay, but season 4 was good.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Bruceski posted:

A museum by my Mom has a mountain lion (...had a mountain lion? One of their rescues died recently and I can't recall which) that was illegally owned as a pet, defanged/declawed, and then just released when it got to be too big. It couldn't feed itself and was used to humans so it approached a hiker and scared the bajeesus out of him. Hiker called the rangers, one came out with some drugged meat and a pen, then the two of then got to carry a sleeping cat back out to where the ranger had been able to park. Great as a museum cat since it was used to people and could be provided for without getting stressed.

Who the gently caress vet willingly defanged/declawed a loving mountain lion, holy poo poo. That poor kitty :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hawkperson posted:

Who the gently caress vet willingly defanged/declawed a loving mountain lion, holy poo poo. That poor kitty :(

There are shockingly few laws against doing all kinds of horrible things to wild animals in many countries.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason the HBO Now app on my Fire TV has completely busted and won't play anything. I have a Roku built in to my TV so I can watch it there but that's kind of weird. I don't use the Roku apps normally because they're kind of crap.

My HBO Now app on the Playstation takes some insanely long time to load, from five to ten minutes depending. Back when I had HBO Go it was almost instant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

swickles posted:

Animals that can’t survive in the wild is one thing. Breeding wild animals in captivity is immoral to me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hawkperson posted:

Someone willing to work with illegal exotic cat sellers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Animals that can’t survive in the wild is one thing. Breeding wild animals in captivity is immoral to me.

This practice is generally only done with endangered species, which as has already been said is a way to ensure the continuation of the species. There are some species who literally die if they don't breed, so that is also accommodated. Point is, modern zoos aren't the holocaust you think they are.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm pretty sure all species will die if they don't breed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mcmagic posted:

How is ensuring the survival of endangered species immoral? The American Bison exists in the wild today thanks in part to breeding programs at zoos and such programs are still crucial to maintaining and increasing genetic diversity of populations that human action has reduced to unsustainable levels in the wild. Zoos are a vital tool in the fight for conservation of the wildlife on our planet.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Help me out thread

In either a good or bad way I don't care, but.... Under The Dome or Falling Skies and why? I need something when taking a break from The Last Ship.

I never saw the final season of either so I don't how goofy bad they got.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 28, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you know how many good shows there are out there and those are the two you’re considering watching

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sometimes you just crave a lovely pizza lunchable even though there’s a perfectly fine Filet Mignon sitting in the fridge. :shrug:

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

pahuyuth posted:

Help me out thread

In either a good or bad way I don't care, but.... Under The Dome or Falling Skies and why? I need something when taking a break from The Last Ship.

Falling Skies was better than Under the Dome; but neither were exactly good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sometimes you just crave a lovely pizza lunchable even though there’s a perfectly fine Filet Mignon sitting in the fridge. :shrug:

Just watch something on Pluto like Leverage or White Collar.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I was also considering Revenge

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pahuyuth posted:

Help me out thread

Under the dome is pure garbage, Falling Skies is mediocre but watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Regy Rusty posted:

How is ensuring the survival of endangered species immoral? The American Bison exists in the wild today thanks in part to breeding programs at zoos and such programs are still crucial to maintaining and increasing genetic diversity of populations that human action has reduced to unsustainable levels in the wild. Zoos are a vital tool in the fight for conservation of the wildlife on our planet.

I want to say first off that I really don't know much about zoos, and do believe there's good in them, but if a species would have gone extinct in the wild and humans keep them alive in zoos, isn't that just exploitative? Like the last giraffes on earth aren't going to be happy in a tiny little enclosure, so are we saving them for our own entertainment (and education, I guess) or for their sake? I see it as a very cloudy issue so I am genuinely curious on what people who are adament zoos are a good thing think.