Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sloth Life posted:

As sad as it is, I'm really hopeful that many of the cast have bright futures ahead. I am looking forward to seeing where they end up and wishing them well x

For sure, they're so much talent in this show. Literally every one of them has shown an incredible range. And they can all sing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
they should have had more jars of goat semen

that scene was the only way i could talk friends into watching "like narnia and harry potter but grad school and everyone is depressed and lovely all the time"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sloth Life posted:

As sad as it is, I'm really hopeful that many of the cast have bright futures ahead. I am looking forward to seeing where they end up and wishing them well x
Yeah, I'm going to closely follow where the show creators and actors all spread out to. I kinda hope Hale and Summer try to get gigs as a pair, even though that's a major rarity in the business. Their chemistry is just too loving perfect.

Edit: Yeah I actually thought that the S4 finale was the series finale. The little loose threads they left were decent as a "life goes on" sort of thing which I suspect this season will also have.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 4, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Fauxshiz posted:

Well, I don't know how they have a better finale than last season but I hope they outdo themselves. The series is too good to go out like a loose fart.

That's a solid point, the s4 finale would have been a very solid series finale in its own right, really the only thing off the top of my head and going from memory that wouldn't fit had it been a series finale is the Margo/Elliot return to fillory cliffhanger. I think the s4 finale could be held up as a teachable example to showrunners on how to create a finale that works really well as both a season and series finale, which can be a drat hard target to hit.

Overall this has been a good and fun show, but you just can't stay on the air without getting those sweet sweet ratings.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, while bummed, I'm certainly not surprised that the show has gotten the axe. Based on what the season so far, and spoilers from the final book, here are my predictions (heavy book spoilers! beware, although I might have some details wrong):

In the final book, after Quentin was ejected from Fillory, he arrived in the Neitherlands in disarray. He finds a random page from a book written in an unknown language, featuring a mysterious plant. We've seen this page and plant in the show, with some mysterious plant creatures trying to steal the page from him, calling it the World Seed. These plant people aren't in the book, but Quentin and the newly de-niffenized Alice figure out that it is part of a spell from a book on how to build worlds. They use what they learn there to build their own world, having grown tired of Fillory.

My guess is that Alice remains the one to work on this, maybe with the help of the new botanist at Brakebills.

One of the interviews with Sera Gamble today about the end of the show mentioned that the penultimate episode will be a magical musical heist. In the book, Quentin is recruited on Earth by a talking crow to work with a team of other magicians to steal a mysterious object under heavy magical protection. They don't know what it is, or where it is, just that several parties want it. One of these other magicians turns out to be Plumm Chatwin, and another is Asmodeus (in the show, Asmodeus is combined with another book character to form the character Kady). They track down the object, and end up having a magical battle in the air with groups of other magicians all trying to steal it for themselves. In the ensuing battle, they open the object (a briefcase that turned out to belong to Rupert Chatwin), and within was a magical god killing knife, which Asmodeus absconds with to go and kill Reynard. Also in the briefcase is a manuscript written by Rupert Chatwin telling the true story of the Chatwin children, much of which has already been revealed in the show.

I'm sure the show will just come up with some other McGuffin for the heist.

Finally, the end of Fillory. Eliot and Janet (our Margot) reigning over Fillory learn that Fillory is ending. Along with Josh, and Poppy, they track down Umber on the dark side of Fillory who leads them on a chase. I forget the exact chain of events, but it comes out that there is nothing they can do, Fillory is dying. I don't remember exactly how it comes about, but they recruit the help of Quentin and Alice who are reluctant. It turns out that Ember was actually the one to hired Quentin and Plumm for the heist, through the use of one of his helpers, the talking crow. Turns out that Ember wants that page that Quentin has ("the world seed"), because he just wants to start anew. In order to save Fillory, he and Ember would have to sacrifice themselves, and he doesn't want to die, so he just wants Quentin's spell to build himself a new world to lord over. During all this, Fillory is literally dying, with all the people and magical creatures doing battle, and even demigoddess Julia comes back from the far side of the world to do battle. Quentin is like gently caress all of this, Umber allows Quentin to kill him, and Quentin takes in his god power (maybe? I don't remember exactly) and turns into a giant dragon and does battle with Ember. He finally kills Ember and takes in his power (I think?), and becomes an almighty god himself. God Quentin brings all the Fillorians back to life, rebuilds the land and Castle White Spire to the best of memory, adds some of his own touches, then relinquishes his god power to have a new Ember and Umber be born, and he and Alice return to Earth.

I'm sure they could probably just have Julia do this part. She has a history of being a god, and in season 3 she talked with that other god about how they have the power to create worlds.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Nuggan posted:

Lets hope for one more good musical episode. Todd singing doesn't count.

Apparently there is one, don't worry

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If I don’t get another lovely group effort at a Queen song I shall be very cross.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're gonna need a soundtrack at the end of the season.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I would watch a Fillory-only show, I loved this whole dang show start to finish. Best of luck to the stars, they're all great and would love to see them in other things since we can't see them in this anymore.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm glad the endless loving over of the pedo author continues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Margot's face when she realized how to get rid of the bugs was just perfect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Happy they've found a way to have Hymen be in more of the show.

Kinda amused by the way the show wants to destroy the Library and write off Dean Fogg, but whoops, it'd be too expensive to strike all our sets and not use our regulars so we've got to find ways to keep them around. The endless Fogg variations are pretty neat.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Dumb question, does Hulu have the newest episodes up, or do I have to watch through SYFY?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hulu doesn’t have it at all, Netflix has the previous seasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hades playing Untitled Goose Game.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
closing the blinds, eating garbage and playing dumb video games while ignoring all responsibilities

hades turned into a goon lmao

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

In these turbulent times Hades is just practicing good social distance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The weirdest thing about society basically telling me that I should draw the shades, not put on pants, eat all non-perishable junk, and play video games all day is that my loved ones somehow think now is the time I'm resisting that advice.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

STAC is one cancelled Big Brother season away from true freedom.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh my god, coronavirus is going to be my savior... I hadn't even realized...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

The weirdest thing about society basically telling me that I should draw the shades

For the record, the virus is susceptible to UV rays, so absolutely do not draw your shades.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You would have hoped that after the whole thing with Josh two years ago (or however long it was in show time) that they would have learned their lesson in disregarding the feelings of other members of their group.

Also next week is the musical episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

You would have hoped that after the whole thing with Josh two years ago (or however long it was in show time) that they would have learned their lesson in disregarding the feelings of other members of their group.

Also next week is the musical episode.

So is that just 2 episodes left then? I thought I saw that the musical episode would be the penultimate episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, this week was episode 11 of 13.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
One eyed tigress, that can't be a coincidence right? That's Margo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Sloth Life posted:

One eyed tigress, that can't be a coincidence right? That's Margo.

Oh poo poo, a time travel bootstrap paradox.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Yeah it felt kinda stupid they all decided to be shitheels to her all at once in just this episode. Once I realized what was going on I was like "didn't you already do this? twice?" Probably the weirdest/laziest misstep I've seen in the whole series but at least it's isolated to a single episode. I like that their explanation is "if you wanna be treated like a main character, you gotta make main character decisions" though. Decent payoff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Or maybe Fen needs to grow the gently caress up instead of being a perpetual twelve year old.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Or maybe Fen needs to grow the gently caress up instead of being a perpetual twelve year old.

This is how people get stabbed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

This is how people get stabbed.

For someone who's whole thing is "likes knives" she seems surprisingly bad at using them.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Alhazred posted:

For someone who's whole thing is "likes knives" she seems surprisingly bad at using them.

Didn't she make it to the finals of a combat tournament using her knives? And she only lost that because she threw it to Margot?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I hope she hooks up with Hymen. They've had good chemistry in that one scene I thought.

Shame that they (for smart reasons) minimised her role a lot this season, given that it's their last. She's a good character played by a good actor, and I think she's one of the few who still has a lot of unexplored depth.

Quite like Plum too, she's the kind of character I'd have liked to see more of. Plus, she's somehow avoided the dead-within-three-episodes curse pretty much every guest star gets struck down by.

Is Botany guy ever coming back you think?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They've always kind of been dismissive and condescending to Fen so I was fine with that finally coming home to rest. Fen was only part of the group because of Elliot being forced to marry her and while he was briefly cool with her he basically stopped caring about her at all once his poo poo hit the fan. Josh and Margo are the only ones who have ever seemed to have any kind of relationship with her and Margo isn't the most welcoming person. And she tried to kill Fen twice.

Plus I just liked the idea of Fen sticking up for Fillory vs the humans who always show up to gently caress everything up and then just leave the place behind and now wanted to blow it up. Children of Earth are dicks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

And she tried to kill Fen twice.

She actually successfully killed everyone in the main cast. Fen isn't special in that regard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zelda loving crushed it this episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming they cleaned it up a little in post but Olivia Taylor Dudley must have been practicing quite a bit between series as she never did much singing in previous episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm assuming they cleaned it up a little in post but Olivia Taylor Dudley must have been practicing quite a bit between series as she never did much singing in previous episodes.

Summer Bishil took extensive vocal lessons for her part in last years, I assume OTD did the same. But she did show in the finale that she had the goods. And now that we're past the last musical episode I really need a soundtrack.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how Ted is Marina's Todd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

I like how Ted is Marina's Todd.

He seems more on top of poo poo when working for Kady.

And I just want to bask in Elliot and Alice singing Don't Give Up with the roles inverted. I love how they've grown together in dealing with their grief. I'm extra sad about the show ending because they really pulled the entire cast together this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
That's not her Penny though... Right?