Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Jack B Nimble posted:

You're probably gonna kill him and ride his motorcycle instead of stealing a display model.

edit: or you'll fight him akira style...!?

Which Akira, Akira Kurosawa or the movie AKIRA? Because one is cooler than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zakharov posted:

I decided to play X-2 for the first time a few days ago. Is the entire game an anime music video?

Yes, it's the second best FF game (Lightning Returns is the best)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I just don't see Final Fantasy IX gelling well with that kind of battle system. Like, look at Steiner. I can't see him getting the same kind of air that Sora could.

Going by the game's battle animations, cutscenes, and world animations, the whole party is shown to be at least on-par with Sora's basic movement abilities - Steiner in particular jumps his entire height in full plate with every attack he does, and even the less physically-oriented characters launch themselves across the stage when performing melee attacks. On top of that, Vivi was an enemy in KH2 (granted, he didn't do any Mage Stuff, but he was shown to be able to at least handle a Struggle match), so it's not like it's completely out of the realm of possibility that the other characters could be translated to the same kind of system.

quote:

Zidane and Freya, sure, but everyone else doesn't really seem like that would be their thing.

amarant gets forgotten once again, smh

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Which Akira, Akira Kurosawa or the movie AKIRA? Because one is cooler than the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5U83UIX1o

New character, looking smug: Looks like you're rusty, ex-SOLDIER "1st Class". I win.
Cloud: I'm afraid not. I won.

*turns his back while looking super cool.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now I'm day dreaming about a version of Ikiru set within Shinra EPC.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

zakharov posted:

I decided to play X-2 for the first time a few days ago. Is the entire game an anime music video?

Chapter 1 and most of Chapter 2 have this very goofy feel. Then the game takes a shift in tone to a bit more like Final Fantasy X.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Akira just happens to be the coolest name ever according to American anime fans

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Yes, it's the second best FF game (Lightning Returns is the best)

In a thread of wrong opinions, this is the wrongest one I've seen.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Jack B Nimble posted:

You're probably gonna kill him and ride his motorcycle instead of stealing a display model.

edit: or you'll fight him akira style...!?

Hmm, yes, I'm guessing he replaced MOTOR BALL as the boss of the highway escape, possibly making him the final boss of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kheldarn posted:

It's right actually (besides X-2 being the best).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Elentor posted:

At some point EVE Online deleted your boot.ini

Pool of Radiance deleted your System32 folder when you uninstalled it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

I refuse to believe anyone who claims to have played Lightning Returns and also claims it isn't good, because it so clearly is a really good game. It's very very different to every other FF what with the Majora's Mask style time loop mechanic but it's like, objectively well made

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

infraboy posted:

Is it too early to speculate that they would do an FF8 remake? They could probably use a similar combat system instead of the old draw system, the game did have some spectacular settings and soundtrack as well.

From a few pages but... remake FF8, except the whole game is about Laguna and crew

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chapter 1 and most of Chapter 2 have this very goofy feel. Then the game takes a shift in tone to a bit more like Final Fantasy X.

Yeah once the plot settles in the game actually gets pretty real. Not that the game ever abandons the pop vibe entirely, but it does get pretty serious. Also I goddamn love X-2.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it was C&C that just simply deleted everything in the folder it was installed to, so if you just dumped everything to, say, the c: root you’d basically format the whole computer

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

I refuse to believe anyone who claims to have played Lightning Returns and also claims it isn't good, because it so clearly is a really good game. It's very very different to every other FF what with the Majora's Mask style time loop mechanic but it's like, objectively well made

It's a lovely Majora's Mask wannabe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

Mods????

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I didn't really like LR either, but I didn't hate it. Maybe I'll finish it during quarantine, but I have a lot of better games to play. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

It's a Valkyrie Profile wannabe. You play as a valkyie collecting souls for your blatantly immoral god and you have a time limit where your actions take up time and also you'll inevitably end up sleeping through half the days because the time limit is too generous.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Remake VIII but when you start the game it just wipes your hard drive

Pro username/post combo

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Elentor posted:

I think the tone erred on the side of too goofy but I'd much rather have that than it erring on the side of too edgy/brooding. Also, "get help" is the most horrible, Cloud-ish thing to say and I can't believe they did it and it's perfect. Seeing Jessie going rolleyes over Barret's loud speech was a nice touch too.

That's what gave me some hope when I saw it on some youtube playthrough by someone who snagged the demo when it was mistakenly released. Years of EU had colored my memory before the LP and seeing Cloud as a disinterested mercenary with an ego over being in SOLDIER and not giving two shits beyond the paycheck made me smile. It's exceptionally hammy, just like Barret's performance, but it felt like it followed the path of the original game.

Square seems to be tempering my expectations with Leslie Kyle, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about the game.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm probably fine to use an OG PS4 with this game instead of upgrading to a Pro if I'm using a 4K OLED TV, right? I haven't really used my PS4 in years since getting a new 4K TV but my understanding is that it'll have HDR support in 1080p but not 4k - is there *that* much of a noticeable difference between the old and newer consoles? I'll definitely be getting a PS5 for the future releases FWIW

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Nairbo posted:

I'm probably fine to use an OG PS4 with this game instead of upgrading to a Pro if I'm using a 4K OLED TV, right? I haven't really used my PS4 in years since getting a new 4K TV but my understanding is that it'll have HDR support in 1080p but not 4k - is there *that* much of a noticeable difference between the old and newer consoles? I'll definitely be getting a PS5 for the future releases FWIW

Do you mean is there much of a difference between 1080p and 4k? The HDR is going to be the same on either console but the resolution difference is enormous. It's four times the pixel density

The game uses TAA and some sharpening post-process on top so even a 1080p output will look good on a 4ktv anyway. Post-processing has come a long way in this generation

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Lighting Returns is a good game that is wrapped up in a bad position which kind of sours the entire thing. Being chained to the FFXIII cast hindered what could have been a lot better. If all they did was replace lighting and friends with new characters (and changed the names of the locations and stuff) I probably would have liked it more.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They reskinned a Valkyrie Profile game, finding yet another way to deny Hrist her divine right.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

X-2 owns bones. It is equal part fabulous cunts being fabulous and campy, and equal parts making me cry like a bitch 'cause when the story ramps up poo poo gets real and oh god 1000 Words

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't know anything about LR other than Lightning becoming Jesus, God wanting to smash her and also taking over the body of Hope (while also de-ageing him in order to make that even creepier), and Snow becoming a l'Cie again or something. I think that latter one might've happened in XIII-2, though.

And then Lightning kills God and goes to France or some poo poo.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

GoGoGadget posted:

Makes sense that there would be a named SOLDIER hanging around the HQ. Don't see the concern, unless he sprouts wings or talks about dumb apples.

I always thought it was weird that the only time you ever encounter other members of SOLDIER in FFVII were in semi-rare battles in the Shinra HQ and while storming the Sister Ray.

I guess my concern is with how wacky hes riding that motorcycle. Way over the top wacky motorcycle riding. Like ADD Star Wars lightsaber flourishing for no reason levels of wacky.

Legin Noslen fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 27, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

esperterra posted:

X-2 owns bones. It is equal part fabulous cunts being fabulous and campy, and equal parts making me cry like a bitch 'cause when the story ramps up poo poo gets real and oh god 1000 Words

I never played Last Mission, but the ending of that is the most :smith: thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK1xkWsDXuo&t=1992s

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yuna owns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I don't know anything about LR other than Lightning becoming Jesus, God wanting to smash her and also taking over the body of Hope (while also de-ageing him in order to make that even creepier), and Snow becoming a l'Cie again or something. I think that latter one might've happened in XIII-2, though.

And then Lightning kills God and goes to France or some poo poo.

Time Cop Snow was in 13-2 but otherwise that's accurate

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
FF7R has broken street date. Head's up for spoilers. Protect ya neck.

Also the OST is seven discs, largely in part because every zone has its own version of the battle theme and every boss has its own version of the boss theme.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Excellent. Perhaps they can redeem themselves with a Black Mages-esque Those Who Fight Further.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

esperterra posted:

Excellent. Perhaps they can redeem themselves with a Black Mages-esque Those Who Fight Further.

Air Buster's.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blockhouse posted:

FF7R has broken street date.

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm very tempted to comb my city finding a copy.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

FF7R has broken street date. Head's up for spoilers. Protect ya neck.

Also the OST is seven discs, largely in part because every zone has its own version of the battle theme and every boss has its own version of the boss theme.

where did you see this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would be funny if it was angry Gamestop employees doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

esperterra posted:

Yuna owns.

She really does. Her strength is amazing.

X-2 is really good. I complained about it sometimes but it was a game that was seriously ahead of its time.